Transfer Rumour Jack Clarke (3 Viewers)

chiefdave

What's the story here? Played one season for Leeds, appearing in 25 games, and then signed by Spurs for millions.

Has only played 2 Europa League games for them since. Last season he was loaned out twice and only managed 3 starts in cup competitions, taken off in all 3 games, and came on as sub in 7 Championship games.
There were also worries about how much playing time he would get on loan after his difficult spells with Leeds and QPR last season.

Clarke made just one appearance for Leeds in the first half of the season before playing six times for QPR after making the switch across London in January.

Magwitch

What's the story here? Played one season for Leeds, appearing in 25 games, and then signed by Spurs for
Jose doesn’t fancy him so is putting him in the shop window, type of player we desperately need but not a clue how good he is.

shmmeee

Where would he play? o’Hares spot I assume. He’s not a goal scorer or a LWB.

Frostie

Listen the kid has some talent but I think we need to temper some expectations here...

Firstly, it's a Twitter Rumour of us being one of a few clubs who might be interested.

IF we sign him though...

He's a winger, we don't play with wingers so he would need to get used to an entirely new system or we alter our system to accommodate him.

He massively lost his way after an impressive few sub appearances at Leeds earned him his big move.

Couldn't get a game when loaned back to Leeds & then barely got a look in at a mid-table QPR side last season
(0 league starts, 6 sub appearances, 1 cup start).

He's only just turned 20 & not started a league game since Feb 2019, in fact he's only ever started 8 games in his entire career, only 4 in the league.

stay_up_skyblues

Listen the kid has some talent but I think we need to temper some expectations here...

Firstly, it's a Twitter Rumour of us being one of a few clubs who might be interested.

IF we sign him though...

He's a winger, we don't play with wingers so he would need to get used to an entirely new system or we alter our system to accommodate him.

He massively lost his way after an impressive few sub appearances at Leeds earned him his big move.

Couldn't get a game when loaned back to Leeds & then barely got a look in at a mid-table QPR side last season
(0 league starts, 6 sub appearances, 1 cup start).

He's only just turned 20 & not started a league game since Feb 2019, in fact he's only ever started 8 games in his entire career, only 4 in the league.

Fear not, he’ll be given at least a game and a half to prove himself should he sign.

Sky Blue Harry H

Where would he play? o’Hares spot I assume. He’s not a goal scorer or a LWB.
No way are we looking to replace O'Hare's role in the team. I'm already getting p*ssed off with some of our fans who have had a pop at him. Think they have forgotten Beavon, O'Reilly, Jennings, Conor Thomas and other midfield players we have had not so long ago. The lad works his nuts off every game, and I love having him in the team. As we strengthen our squad over the next season or two (assuming we stay up) we will realise what an asset we have. Will improve as he gains more experience at this level and has better players around him.

stay_up_skyblues

No way are we looking to replace O'Hare's role in the team. I'm already getting p*ssed off with some of our fans who have had a pop at him. Think they have forgotten Beavon, O'Reilly, Jennings, Conor Thomas and other midfield players we have had not so long ago. The lad works his nuts off every game, and I love having him in the team. As we strengthen our squad over the next season or two (assuming we stay up) we will realise what an asset we have. Will improve as he gains more experience at this level and has better players around him.

COH is in the top three midfielders in the whole division for both tackles made and fouls against. He does so much for the team if you drop him you’ve almost got to replace him with a DM. He’s unique really as a defensive attacking midfielder.

If/when he adds goals and assists consistently he becomes a very special player and would be premier league bound.

shmmeee

I wasn’t suggesting it, just trying to work out where this kid will fit in.

But.

I’ll be blunt, O’Hare isn’t effective enough for me. His final ball is very poor as is his finishing. His main asset is falling over in their half to win free kicks. And I think he’s one of the reasons we look so poor going forward (and if we’re honest did last season too).

He’s a good squad player, but another AM would be high up my shopping list in the summer if we are going to progress.

Sky Blue Harry H

And I think he’s one of the reasons we look so poor going forward (and if we’re honest did last season too).
100%
The C O'Hare 'knockers' bit wasn't a dig at you mate - just the 'pile on' with some of our players is embarrassing when it starts. Not sure how we won the league if we were so poor going forward last year? - albeit our defence was probably our key strength. Maybe Callum's non stop running causes some of the other glitches; it's almost as if his body is going faster than his brain at times. For me it's about getting the right combination of players on the pitch at the same time. What I do like about him is his constant movement, which helps create gaps and changes angles for others. Agree his finishing, composure could improve, but if fit, I'd start him every game (unless we sign better quality, which is unlikely for a while). Bapaga may be worth a look at in the Cup tie to see what he can offer.

stevefloyd

100%
The C O'Hare 'knockers' bit wasn't a dig at you mate - just the 'pile on' with some of our players is embarrassing when it starts. Not sure how we won the league if we were so poor going forward last year? - albeit our defence was probably our key strength. Maybe Callum's non stop running causes some of the other glitches; it's almost as if his body is going faster than his brain at times. For me it's about getting the right combination of players on the pitch at the same time. What I do like about him is his constant movement, which helps create gaps and changes angles for others. Agree his finishing, composure could improve, but if fit, I'd start him every game (unless we sign better quality, which is unlikely for a while). Bapaga may be worth a look at in the Cup tie to see what he can offer.
Whilst I agree with some he wastes a lot of our posession, he is a bundle of energy he just needs some extra discipline, if some of our players had half his energy and enthusiasm I am sure we would be a better team. O'Hare has only played around 50 games in his young career and he is getting rinsed about his finishing, I can forgive a midfielder to an extent for some poor finishing, although he has missed some sitters. When he carries the ball forward he seems to run into trouble a lot and either draws a 'foul' or concedes possession, but he is that quick across the ground he runs out of options quick to be able to pass to one of our players, he needs to develop this side of his game but definitely one of our better players with great potential to become even better

matesx

I wasn’t suggesting it, just trying to work out where this kid will fit in.

But.

I’ll be blunt, O’Hare isn’t effective enough for me. His final ball is very poor as is his finishing. His main asset is falling over in their half to win free kicks. And I think he’s one of the reasons we look so poor going forward (and if we’re honest did last season too).

He’s a good squad player, but another AM would be high up my shopping list in the summer if we are going to progress.

agree

more of an impact sub against tiring defenders

cc84cov

Even if we did have a bit of money to invest in January it would be pretty silly to say so publicly
We will have money my point is these people saying we don’t won’t be in the know,I’m sure robins would have kept Some back for January

mark82

We will have money my point is these people saying we don’t won’t be in the know,I’m sure robins would have kept Some back for January

Ultimately we work within a budget, that won't change. There could be money left in that budget, there might not be. We don't really know. It may be we need outgoings to bring new faces in. We may be able to bring some in without any going out. Time will tell. I expect some minor ins & outs over the window to fill gaps.

chiefdave

Not sure how you can say "people saying we don’t won’t be in the know" and then assert that we definitely will.

Recent history suggests we don't bring in many first team regulars in January yet for some reason we have people that think this season, when we have one of the smallest budgets in the division, we are going to be bringing in multiple players who are significantly better than those we already have. In a season where we have a huge drop in income due to games being BCD.

Not saying we won't bring anyone in but I'd be amazed if we sign up a 20 goal a season forward, like for like cover for Kelly or similar calibre players that people are talking about us needing. Certainly not pinning our hopes on a kid from Spurs that has managed about 4 hours of league football in the last 18 months over 3 clubs.

stevefloyd

I think we need to worry more about crazy bids coming in for Dabo or Hamer to tempt our cash hungry owners than who we may or may not bring in

cc84cov

Ultimately we work within a budget, that won't change. There could be money left in that budget, there might not be. We don't really know. It may be we need outgoings to bring new faces in. We may be able to bring some in without any going out. Time will tell. I expect some minor ins & outs over the window to fill gaps.
1-2 will do us I feel my worry is if we don’t and others around us do yes we might look ok now but as we all know that could change very quickly if and when others make changes

AFCCOVENTRY

I think we need to worry more about crazy bids coming in for Dabo or Hamer to tempt our cash hungry owners than who we may or may not bring in

I wouldn’t worry about that. In the current climate not many are going to be bidding millions for players in this window.

Sky Blue Harry H

For me the priority would be a better quality big man up front and our own left back/ left wingback (although with budgets likely to be tight, loans may have to be used in one or two areas again)

shmmeee

100%

We dominated games last season but tended to win by one goal. Us not taking our chances or unlocking mean defences was hidden by our outstanding defence.

I think we need someone who can unlock Championship defences, or we need two big strikers cos we’ll just keep working it out wide.

shmmeee

For me the priority would be a better quality big man up front and our own left back/ left wingback (although with budgets likely to be tight, loans may have to be used in one or two areas again)

I think we need major surgery to move forward, probably too much for one window, but ultimately I think we need to upgrade: GK, CB x 2 (once Østigård goes back), LWB, AM, ST.

Brighton Sky Blue

For this window we don’t need improvements as much as like for like with injuries. Free agents in central midfield, bulky loan cover up front unless Joy can be persuaded to put the funds up for something better in exchange for Baka being bombed out

Users who are viewing this thread