Its like 2008 never happened.... (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
That's like the difference between Warwick uni and the Ricoh just to get into the centre. Public transport is awful in Bristol so would mean driving everywhere too which would put costs up. It's stills something I'd consider if I could get deposits up though. Like I mentioned previously I have fairly heavy debts that I needed to take on to qualify myself to the level I'm at and the living cost is high around here (what ever I said £38k in rent in the last few years alone - that being on the lower end of the spectrum).

I should do the decent thing and give up on CCFC but then what do you have to look forward to/ruin your weekend.

Warwick Uni to the Ricoh really isn't a long drive and if an economical car it's really not that much.

I drive further every day, the wife drives at least double that.

Astute

I should do the decent thing and give up on CCFC but then what do you have to look forward to/ruin your weekend.
I had lots of kids and got married. Watching us is just the icing on the cake :smuggrin:

Nick

Administrator
Looks quality, I like the metal window effect - always fun to think you're living in an ex crack den.

Think you have just summed up my expectancy point perfectly ;)

One of my mates was the same, his mortgage is triple mine because he wanted to live on a nice road in a house that was already done. I just took the hit and bought a shitheap and grafted. Had no kitchen for 3 months and lived off microwave and did the washing up in the bath. Had no bathroom for the first month so had to blast somewhere else for a shit if working on the house to make it liveable.

Obviously I'd have prefered a nice house, nice cul de sac, ready to move in with my feet up but wasn't viable when I moved out with my budget.

Astute

My other half is Cornish and we'd both love to be down there but the work is non existent. This is 5 minutes walk from her parent's place.

View attachment 7859
I have a brother in Crantock. Lovely place. Turn right on the beach and you are in Newquay. Love taking my motorhome down there.

Astute

Think you have just summed up my expectancy point perfectly ;)

One of my mates was the same, his mortgage is triple mine because he wanted to live on a nice road in a house that was already done. I just took the hit and bought a shitheap and grafted. Had no kitchen for 3 months and lived off microwave and did the washing up in the bath. Had no bathroom for the first month so had to blast somewhere else for a shit if working on the house to make it liveable.

Obviously I'd have prefered a nice house, nice cul de sac, ready to move in with my feet up but wasn't viable when I moved out with my budget.
I have never bought a house already done. I always buy one needing everything doing and do it all myself. The wife hated it until she saw that she ended up with exactly what she wanted. And you also add on average about 20% to the value. If you buy one already done up you still change a lot of it and paid top price for it.

Nick

Administrator
I have never bought a house already done. I always buy one needing everything doing and do it all myself. The wife hated it until she saw that she ended up with exactly what she wanted. And you also add on average about 20% to the value. If you buy one already done up you still change a lot of it and paid top price for it.

That's the thing.

We bought a shit heap, took about 2 or 3 months before we could move into it. Now it's had a brand new bathroom and brand new kitchen and walls knocked out etc so it's exactly how we want it. Zoopla says if we sold up we would make a nice bit of profit so it makes the struggle at the start worth it.

At the time of looking at bare plaster or having a spare bedroom full of tools with nowhere to move it isn't the best but has paid off in the long run. Just have to look past the shit heap that's there when you first go and look or see it on rightmove and not listen to other people.

Last edited:

jimmyhillsfanclub

Should have seen some of the houses I looked at.

I was looking at houses like this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60546733.html

My first house wasn't as grand as that......I bought a large victorian terraced house in the 90's in a street which had 4 houses tinned up.....on the borders of toxteth....

I had bars on the inside of all my downstairs windows. Moved in with a portable telly, a single mattress, an old office chair & a kettle....

I did it up over time & lived in it for 9 years until I cleared the mortgage......still own it now & its got some lovely students living in it.

Nick

Administrator
My first house wasn't as grand as that......I bought a large victorian terraced house in the 90's in a street which had 4 houses tinned up.....on the borders of toxteth....

I had bars on the inside of all my downstairs windows. Moved in with a portable telly, a single mattress, an old office chair & a kettle....

I did it up over time & lived in it for 9 years until I cleared the mortgage......still own it now & its got some lovely students living in it.

That's the thing, a bit of a struggle at the start seems to make it worthwhile. My parents lived on some right rough old streets and then gradually got nicer and nicer houses over time and ended up in a nice street. It's not as simple as just strolling into a perfect first house surely? (unless you are minted).

Astute

That's the thing, a bit of a struggle at the start seems to make it worthwhile. My parents lived on some right rough old streets and then gradually got nicer and nicer houses over time and ended up in a nice street. It's not as simple as just strolling into a perfect first house surely? (unless you are minted).
Which is the point of this thread.

Many seem to think that the older generations had it easy. But back then you didn't have credit. You did without until you could afford it. These days it is accepted that you buy something and then spend years paying for it. This reduces your spending power. So you then buy more on credit. Nothing but a vicious circle.

Nick

Administrator

Many seem to think that the older generations had it easy. But back then you didn't have credit. You did without until you could afford it. These days it is accepted that you buy something and then spend years paying for it. This reduces your spending power. So you then buy more on credit. Nothing but a vicious circle.

Don't get me wrong I've used credit too when it has been easier on cashflow and cars but do have mates who are up to their eyeballs with the mortgage, brand new car, live in their overdraft and have nights out purely on credit cards. The thought to them of driving a 10 year old Laguna like I had or a 1.3 Fiesta would probably make them have nightmares.

It's all too easy now with how easy it is to spend on cards rather than cash as well, contactless etc.

Astute

Don't get me wrong I've used credit too when it has been easier on cashflow and cars but do have mates who are up to their eyeballs with the mortgage, brand new car, live in their overdraft and have nights out purely on credit cards. The thought to them of driving a 10 year old Laguna like I had or a 1.3 Fiesta would probably make them have nightmares.

It's all too easy now with how easy it is to spend on cards rather than cash as well, contactless etc.
I don't mean don't use credit. Just don't when you don't need to. My newest motor is 12 years old. Just flew through it's MOT. I don't need a motor with a 17 plate on it. You can't see it when you are driving it. If I bought my motors that I have when they were new they would have cost me over 100k. Somewhere close to 120k thinking about it. But I paid just over 9k as they were older. Not a bad saving. Someone somewhere has lost a bit of money for my benefit. And because they were so cheap I paid cash.

Saying that I am about to upgrade our motorhome. Will be looking at 7 to 10 years old. I will save 40 to 50k on new price. We will keep it until I retire. We will lose about 10k in this time. But will save a fortune as she will be frequently touring Europe giving us cheap holidays.

Nick

Administrator
I don't mean don't use credit. Just don't when you don't need to. My newest motor is 12 years old. Just flew through it's MOT. I don't need a motor with a 17 plate on it. You can't see it when you are driving it. If I bought my motors that I have when they were new they would have cost me over 100k. Somewhere close to 120k thinking about it. But I paid just over 9k as they were older. Not a bad saving. Someone somewhere has lost a bit of money for my benefit. And because they were so cheap I paid cash.

Saying that I am about to upgrade our motorhome. Will be looking at 7 to 10 years old. I will save 40 to 50k on new price. We will keep it until I retire. We will lose about 10k in this time. But will save a fortune as she will be frequently touring Europe giving us cheap holidays.

Think it's just the lifestyle nowadays isn't it? Same with mobile phones, so many people have to have the latest model even though it's effectively doing the same as the one they have but with a screen that's 20mm bigger. Is it really worth 50 quid a month?

I know what you mean about cars, some people have to have brand new and I know somebody who gets brand new just for the reg even if it's the exact same car. It's the bottom spec too so it's so basic and for the same money he could buy one that's 2 years old and top spec and not lose so much money, but it isn't brand new so he doesn't have any of it.

It all comes down to priorities, some will prioritise cars, house, holidays, designer clothes, kids, going out etc. Different people need / want different things.

Marty

Should have seen some of the houses I looked at.

I was looking at houses like this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60546733.html

My first house hadn't been touched for 50 years, needed everything doing to it. Walls rebuilt, new joists throughout, It was stripped back to brick work. At one point I could stand on the sub base and look straight upto the roof, still haven't finished my property 3 years later but it's very close. Just need a new roof and the rest of the path finished.

NorthernWisdom

I do think it's important to distinguish those who do daft things like buy new cars for the sake of it, and those who genuinely struggle, however.

And of course many struggled in the good old days too, that's why we ended up with a welfare state and the like.

Nick

Administrator
I do think it's important to distinguish those who do daft things like buy new cars for the sake of it, and those who genuinely struggle, however.

And of course many struggled in the good old days too, that's why we ended up with a welfare state and the like.

Agree, of course there will be people who really do struggle to get by. Also people unlucky if they get made redundant or get ill and everything falls apart.

Astute

The thing is that lots of the older generations struggled through life. Now retired they can't even afford heating or to eat properly. But the focus is mainly put on those who have done well in life. Then you get stupid comments blaming those for the youth of today struggling.

I have done OK in life. But it was a struggle to get here and sacrifices were made that most wouldn't take. And I am yet to get any real benefit from it.

Knowing my luck I will have spent a lifetime saving for my retirement and will drop dead before realising my dreams. Such is life.

Astute

Agree, of course there will be people who really do struggle to get by. Also people unlucky if they get made redundant or get ill and everything falls apart.
Been there done that. The last time it happened I worked 200 miles away from my family. Had to do it for 18 months.

Liquid Gold

Yes some people are stupid with credit and only have themselves to blame but the simple fact is that it's becoming more expensive to own a home.

Year - Average Wage - Average House Price - House Price as Multiple of Wage
1980 - £6,000 - £22,677 - 3.8
1990 - £13,364 - £59,587 - 4.5
2017 - £27,000 - £234,794 - 8.7

This doesn't factor in that the cost of living is much higher due to things like gas, electricity, transport having above inflation rises in cost.

Marty

Yes some people are stupid with credit and only have themselves to blame but the simple fact is that it's becoming more expensive to own a home.

This doesn't factor in that the cost of living is much higher due to things like gas, electricity, transport having above inflation rises in cost.

What's the average house price figure if you take out London?

NorthernWisdom

The thing is that lots of the older generations struggled through life. Now retired they can't even afford heating or to eat properly. But the focus is mainly put on those who have done well in life. Then you get stupid comments blaming those for the youth of today struggling.

I have done OK in life. But it was a struggle to get here and sacrifices were made that most wouldn't take. And I am yet to get any real benefit from it.

Knowing my luck I will have spent a lifetime saving for my retirement and will drop dead before realising my dreams. Such is life.
...or have to spend everything on nursing care ;)

I worry too, for the 'I struggled to get where I am, so everybody should have to struggle too' mentality. I don't think you mean it to come out that way, btw ;) so take this in a more general sense... but in my view that's part of the problem - an expectation that those dealt with worse cards at the beginning of their lives should have to work harder than those lucky enough to be born into financial security etc.

And when it comes to credit, that doesn't help when people (again, not you) spend their cash just to show they have cash to spend. That, then, increases an illusion that you have to spend to keep up. Now I'm not justifying the spending to keep up, but I am empathising.

Now, personally I'm either lucky or unlucky enough that material considerations come lower in what I want, to a comfortable working environment with decent managers (have done the opposite for more money and it most certainly is not worth it!), and a decent home life. It's amazing how much pleasure I can get from English Heritage membership, and that's cheaper than a holiday in the Cayman Islands.

But... it's a shame that instead of offering credit so easily for cars etc, we can't get towards a culture that recognises funding each others' imrovement helps us all, rather than it being a threat to our particular lifestyles. And whilst mortgages have become a little more flexible, it's maybe time to recognise that there has to be a certain amount of risk offering better mortgages more easily to those who are cursed with temporary contracts, and moving from job to job annually.

Kingokings204

Exactly why in some point in the future the bubble will burst and we will be in a massive drop again. False spending just creates credit booms and then a big bust effectively leaving everyone bankrupt.

What we do then god only knows.

Astute

Them house prices include London and down south. 234k here gets you a cracking house. 100k gets you a decent 3 bed house. If you go a 10 minute drive from me and onto the mainland you can get change from 50k. It is possible to get a 6 bed house for about 120k. Or you can drive up the road and pay 350k for smaller.

Average prices mean nothing. But where you choose to live does.

In 97 I was on 23k IIRC. I bought a 3 bed semi with a bit of land for 26k. But when you walked in your feet stuck to the carpet. The kitchen was older than me. The bathroom was disgusting. And that was the houses best points.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread