Its like 2008 never happened.... (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

Here we go.

Guess what? When I had a house in the 90's it was in a poor area. I bought second hand furniture and I worked until 11 at night many nights. I had a car that cost £200. That's life and in the end of your good enough you get on.

You seriously think I just throw hand outs to a lazy self indulgent parasite like you. You like the EU and the land of opportunity so why don't you go there - or will that require hard work on your part as well.

The OP is spot on and it's people like you that expect a living without earning it just as you think your degree makes you special who are the problem.

Why do I know someone whose just attained a masters whose earning £50k a year? Is he lucky or perhaps talented and perhaps, just perhaps, you are not?
Is there any possible way you could be a worse person.

Grendel

Is there any possible way you could be a worse person.

Yes I could be a self indulgent creep who thinks past generations are responsible for my own shortcomings.

Grendel

Be careful Grendel will get angry you didn't live through the black plague.

No despite his strange left wing leanings (given his age) he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder like you do.

SIR ERNIE

I genuinely haven't read anything on this forum that's made me so angry than your self indulgent whining post.

Just take a look at this one extract. Go back in time and explain your position to those in the Great War or depresdion, the slum estates of the sixties or those in the industrial wasteland of the 70's and how terribly hard your life is.

What an arrogant expecting person you are.

Great post and I couldn't agree more.

The young 'sense of entitlement' generation are being courted by Corbyn's 'politics of envy'.

It's a potent combination that can only end in tears.

SIR ERNIE

What a pathetic comment.

Some hide behind their own ivory towers, unable or unwilling to see that there are alternative world-views than that seen from a detached distance, skewed through a Daily Mail prism.

That's right, just sit there whingeing about what you haven't got while others go out there and grab the endless opportunities that exist in our wonderful country.

Blame it all on the Daily Mail. Your grubby Guardian tells you that's the problem and you swallow it.

NorthernWisdom

That's right, just sit there whingeing about what you haven't got while others go out there and grab the endless opportunities that exist in our wonderful country.

Blame it all on the Daily Mail. Your grubby Guardian tells you that's the problem and you swallow it.
You're just showing yourself to be more and more clueless and self-centred with every post.

Last edited:

eastwoodsdustman

I left school and had to earn the princely sum of £27.50 in a yts or do nothing. I took the money! Never had the life choices or options to decide where i lived or worked at the time. I did my yts, got a job and worked hard for 10 years. Saved 3 years for the deposit on my house. 2 years watching a 14 inch portable tv as we couldnt afford anything bigger at the time.Things havent changed for people in that sense nowdays, outlooks and aspirations have though.

mrtrench

It's not new for young people to have a sense of entitlement or for them to be piss poor when they start out. It's entirely natural and over time views adjust to reality and most knuckle down to help themselves rather than expecting others to pay for them. I remember a news story when Diana became engaged to Charles: they were saying how she was modest because she drove a mini metro and I thought that I couldn't afford any car - never mind a new metro.

When I graduated I decided that I was entitled to a car and bought a new one and then learned over the following year why that was a terrible idea. At one stage we borrowed a drill from a neighbour because we thought we saw a coin in the chink of our fireplace. We got it out - it was 5 centimes. Around that time I realised it was down to me and I worked in a pub and started doing private tuition after work. At one stage I was doing 30 hours per week on top of my job and saved enough for a deposit to buy our first house.

I do think that house prices are too high, especially in London. But everyone has a choice of how to manage their lives.

fernandopartridge

Look at that steep rise in household debt from 1979 onwards

united-kingdom-households-debt-to-gdp.png

chiefdave

Look at that steep rise in household debt from 1979 onwards
Does that include housing and student debt? Looks like it does, the steep rise in the early 80s would be when interest rates went through the roof and the second steep rise is when grants were replaced with loans.

Consumer credit currently stands at £3,858 per adult in the UK.

fernandopartridge

Does that include housing and student debt? Looks like it does, the steep rise in the early 80s would be when interest rates went through the roof and the second steep rise is when grants were replaced with loans.

Consumer credit currently stands at £3,858 per adult in the UK.

Yes, I believe it is inclusive of mortgage debt.

Other big factors are the right to buy and the release of credit controls, Thatcher giving working people the illusion of affluence whilst the genuinely rich got richer and richer.

Grendel

One argument about issues with getting mortgaged is wage to loan ratio. I just stuck some random figures in a calculator and it claimed to offer £134,000 on a £30,000 salary!

Barclays offer a 100% mortgage according to their site?

fernandopartridge

One argument about issues with getting mortgaged is wage to loan ratio. I just stuck some random figures in a calculator and it claimed to offer £134,000 on a £30,000 salary!

Barclays offer a 100% mortgage according to their site?

Yeah, the mortgage restraint didn't last long, though I think they've tightened up how much evidence people need to provide of earnings. In the immediate aftermath of the crash, you couldn't get a mortgage for any more than 90% LTV.

Grendel

Only if your parents act as guarantor and have enough equity in their own property to cover the mortgage.

Which seems reasonable. Also many offer 95%

chiefdave

Yeah, the mortgage restraint didn't last long, though I think they've tightened up how much evidence people need to provide of earnings.
The affordability system that came in to replace income multiples is a total mess mainly because there's no actual rules so its up to each lender what they want to do.

Of course as they didn't want to be regulated at first they were strict to prove the point. As soon as they weren't being watched closely it all fell away.

NorthernWisdom

Which seems reasonable. Also many offer 95%
Dunno if it should be those who have parents who can cover things benefit, though.

Not that there's an obvious answer, but artificially keeping prices high didn't help, because of the fear of people going into negative equity. Only thing that should matter for a home owner should be whether they can afford the monthly payment, not how much the house is worth... and I don't really care if buy-to-let landlords lose some cash on their investment!

Do remember before the crash having a very strange chat with a bank advisor (once they realised my qualifications ;)) despite working on a part time zero hours temp contract at the time, they were prepared to lend me money on the basis of my hourly salary being full-time permanent. Madness!

Fortunately I'm sensible and didn't take them up on the offer ;) but it didn't come as a huge shock to me when it all came crashing down a few months later...!

clint van damme

Dunno if it should be those who have parents who can cover things benefit, though.

Not that there's an obvious answer, but artificially keeping prices high didn't help, because of the fear of people going into negative equity. Only thing that should matter for a home owner should be whether they can afford the monthly payment, not how much the house is worth... and I don't really care if buy-to-let landlords lose some cash on their investment!

Do remember before the crash having a very strange chat with a bank advisor (once they realised my qualifications ;)) despite working on a part time zero hours temp contract at the time, they were prepared to lend me money on the basis of my hourly salary being full-time permanent. Madness!

Fortunately I'm sensible and didn't take them up on the offer ;) but it didn't come as a huge shock to me when it all came crashing down a few months later...!

remember at the start of the madness, (around 2000), me and the wife wanting to borrow and additional 15 grand to extend the house. We were fretting in case we didn't get it because we really needed the extra bedroom.
Within 5 minutes they offered us 95 grand on top of our existing mortgage!

At the time a very basic check of our finances would have told anyone with a modicum of common sense that much extra would cripple us financially. Luckily we had the sense to just take the 15 we originally asked for but I'd imagine a lot of people got tempted.

Captain Dart

remember at the start of the madness, (around 2000), me and the wife wanting to borrow and additional 15 grand to extend the house. We were fretting in case we didn't get it because we really needed the extra bedroom.
Within 5 minutes they offered us 95 grand on top of our existing mortgage!

At the time a very basic check of our finances would have told anyone with a modicum of common sense that much extra would cripple us financially. Luckily we had the sense to just take the 15 we originally asked for but I'd imagine a lot of people got tempted.

When customers are cynically regarded as income sources secured against a rising housing market, hardly socially responsible of the lenders.

Covstu

I think there are too many extremes on this thread as usual. I am generally in the camp of earning your right to a good living not expecting it to fall on your lap but equally a lot of that does come from what background your family is to enable that to happen. My family come down from Scotland back in the 60s to get jobs in the car industry as jobs in Glasgow were non existent due to the lack of ship building. If my parents had not have done that I may have had a different life but what that taught me was the value of money.
You do see people who are complaining about being poor but walk around in branded clothes and iPhones which does irritate me. I had the choice back when I was 21/22 to either learn to drive or go to university, I went to university and then learnt when I got my first job. I worked two jobs whilst at university and then managed to pay off all uni debt two years after had finished. Had the chance of getting a masters but didn't see the value at the time over my job but did that later when I was more securely employed.
I got my first house when I was 29, it was a 100% mortgage which was stopped the next day due to credit crunch, it was painful, we didn't have any holidays apart from the odd weekend away and had my eldest.
Now we have a great home, two kids and can afford some of lives little luxuries however I ensure I save every month just in case (not that it is earning any friggin interest!).
For me it's a balance of being sensible, the pressure and choice on families is greater now, the value of money is more diverse due to choice but if people teach the value of money long term then people can save for their futures. Equally some people just have shit luck, it happens but I don't think there is enough education at secondary schools on this topic, every fucker is out to get your money these days and people do need help

shmmeee

Sorry, but why is a mobile phone and the internet essential in this day and age? People can and still do live without them. If you cant afford them then you dont have them. Basic common sense that. Its not rocket science and unfortuantely people these days just have what they want and worry about the cost later irrespective of whether they can afford them or not.

Try accessing jobs without the Internet.

You can survive without running water FFS, it's not the same as being essential to fully participate in modern life.

Pro tip: it's not that you're amazing and entire generations are cunts. It's that you don't fully understand other people's world views or experiences.

Nick

Administrator
Try accessing jobs without the Internet.

You can survive without running water FFS, it's not the same as being essential to fully participate in modern life.

Pro tip: it's not that you're amazing and entire generations are cunts. It's that you don't fully understand other people's world views or experiences.

I got jobs before the internet, I got the bus to the job centre and used that machine they had.

Nowadays though, the internet is everywhere and is hardly a massive expensive so is completely different. There's a difference between getting the top Virgin package for silly money and a broadband connection to get by on too.

Covstu

I got jobs before the internet, I got the bus to the job centre and used that machine they had.

Nowadays though, the internet is everywhere and is hardly a massive expensive so is completely different. There's a difference between getting the top Virgin package for silly money and a broadband connection to get by on too.
And half of the jobs are either bullshit or the recruiter doesn't reply back. I know people who pay about 100 per month on sky and internet etc. I would be so gutted!

Marty

If thing's are that desperate then you can get the internet at the library for free. No need for everyone to have it and it might help the nation get fitter too.

Astute

it wasn't, but it is a lot harder now.
I grew up in a street where a lot of the households only had one wage earner but they still could afford their mortgage and a reasonable standard of living. Only possible now if that wage earner has a big income.
I grew up on the select council estates of Coventry. Most people didn't even know what a mortgage is.

I have had a few of the younger lads at work think that I am skint because I don't drive a new car. I have 5 motors. The newest is a 55 plate. The eldest an 86 D reg :smuggrin: I have only ever broken down once. But a lot of the younger generation only see themselves as skint when they can't get any more credit. But to me you are skint if you need credit.

And the amount of people who think that they own a new car when it ls leased :wideyed: To me it is like renting a house and thinking you own it.

Astute

My generation has to make these choices, previous ones didn't. I'm not saying you didn't work hard and graft to get on the ladder, what I'm saying is you have no idea the difficulties my generation has in doing the same.

That is still a massive generalisation. I had to go straight to work when I left school. I worked up to 7 days a week. And they were 12 hour shifts minimum. No holiday pay either a lot of the time. I was burning myself out at a young age.

I then decided to train for what I wanted to do. But I still had to work. So I had years of not having any time to myself. And when I qualified I then had to work my way up the ladder frequently changing jobs until I got the job I wanted.

Yeah so easy :shifty:

clint van damme

That is still a massive generalisation. I had to go straight to work when I left school. I worked up to 7 days a week. And they were 12 hour shifts minimum. No holiday pay either a lot of the time. I was burning myself out at a young age.

I then decided to train for what I wanted to do. But I still had to work. So I had years of not having any time to myself. And when I qualified I then had to work my way up the ladder frequently changing jobs until I got the job I wanted.

Yeah so easy :shifty:

but what about people who don't have qualifications or training. Not everyone has it in their locker to be a go getter or achieve sought after qualifications. But there are plenty of people like that who still work their socks off in manual jobs or, for want of a better phrase, menial jobs,

They still deserve affordable housing, free health care and a decent standard of living, access to all of which is slowly been eroded.

NorthernWisdom

but what about people who don't have qualifications or training. Not everyone has it in their locker to be a go getter or achieve sought after qualifications. But there are plenty of people like that who still work their socks off in manual jobs or, for want of a better phrase, menial jobs,

They still deserve affordable housing, free health care and a decent standard of living, access to all of which is slowly been eroded.
I'd also say that just because some can do it after work and the like, some have personal circumstances that just deny the opportunity to do extra training - they have to work 100 hour weeks to support people, they have ill/sick relatives etc.

Astute

Look at the EU thread. You know what my thoughts are. All you are doing here is agreeing with me.

And BTW I do a manual job in manufacturing. It's just that I also fix it when it goes wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread