Is it inevitable that Robins will leave us this season? (1 Viewer)

jto123

First he was linked with Birmingham and now Bristol City. Considering the amount of success he has had with us and the style of football we play, I'm starting to feel we'll be lucky to keep him this season. It also provides a perspective on the importance of a deal at the Ricoh. On one side of the argument, there is a temptation to grind Wasps into administration and regain the stadium for ourselves. On the other side, the longer we don't have a stadium, the more likely it is that any other team will seem like a step up to Robins and the less attractive a proposition we will seem to any other quality manager. Interested to hear people's thoughts?

Danceswithhorses

First he was linked with Birmingham and now Bristol City. Considering the amount of success he has had with us and the style of football we play, I'm starting to feel we'll be lucky to keep him this season. It also provides a perspective on the importance of a deal at the Ricoh. On one side of the argument, there is a temptation to grind Wasps into administration and regain the stadium for ourselves. On the other side, the longer we don't have a stadium, the more likely it is that any other team will seem like a step up to Robins and the less attractive a proposition we will seem to any other quality manager. Interested to hear people's thoughts?
I'm hoping he learned his lesson at Huddersfield and Scunthorpe...ie that the grass certainly isn't always greener elsewhere.
Something about him just 'works' at Coventry

robbiethemole

He turned down a "bigger" team than both of those............................Sunderland!!! I can't see him leaving just as he achieves the first part of the plan.
Bookies need to generate interest to get their money in and CT are just copy and paste wankers that follow the crowds. He is getting in players he wants, so I reckon he'll follow through into the Champ with us. fingers crossed.

jto123

It's probably also worth noting that the 'SISU Out' chants have died out with the success with Robins. I'm not taking a side on that either way, but I think the relative peace has only been kept due to MR. I wouldn't be surprised if it were to spring up straight away were he to leave.

mr_monkey

Not unless a prem team comes in for him

Also as an aside you do realise that if wasps go out of business we would have to deal with the council to get the stadium and we know how well that went last time

ExmouthNeil

This is a time to be HAPPY as a Sky Blues fan.... I do understand where you are coming from but we've just won the league AND the pubs are now open.... Smile, rejoice and enjoy this time before we start the new season. For once 'all is good in the Sky Blue world!!!'

jto123

This is a time to be HAPPY as a Sky Blues fan.... I do understand where you are coming from but we've just won the league AND the pubs are now open.... Smile, rejoice and enjoy this time before we start the new season. For once 'all is good in the Sky Blue world!!!'

I'm a Cov fan.....pessimism is par for the course ;)

Tommo1993

Think he turned down Sunderland because it’s a poison chalice. With evidence of a god awful recruitment team.

covcity4life

Not unless a prem team comes in for him

Also as an aside you do realise that if wasps go out of business we would have to deal with the council to get the stadium and we know how well that went last time
Agree. Or a team nailed on for promotion like a west ham if they came down etc

I hope he is for another 5 years. Bit thats a long time in football

Magwitch

Why would he go to Bristol ? He’s established himself here, popular with fans, doing well, why start all over again under a lot more pressure to succeed.

skybluetony176

He’s already building a team for next season, can’t see anything that makes me think he’s even entertaining leaving and like others have pointed out hopefully the Huddersfield experience has taught him the grass isn’t always greener.

mark_ccfc

As long as he is getting reasonable financial support to bring players in he will stay. As said above if he gets a lucrative offer from a prem side that may turn his head. Otherwise we have him for a while yet I think.

no_loyalty

I genuinely believe he wants to take us back to the top flight, therefore he will stay.

robbiethemole

As long as he is getting reasonable financial support to bring players in he will stay. As said above if he gets a lucrative offer from a prem side that may turn his head. Otherwise we have him for a while yet I think.

Bristol City wont be a Prem team next season

rob9872

Birmingham is a basket case, out of the frying pan and all that, but Bristol well run, nice ground, lots of potential and realistic expectations. That I could see.

Not only has MR achieved something but with nice football, a low budget, promoted youth, made cash on transfers, great backroom team - what's not to like? I'd be amazed if other clubs weren't interested but hope we can hold onto him at least one more season, although he's not stupid and his stock as a manager likely never been higher.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I seriously believe he is the best manager we've had for decades, and I mean decades! His style of play, character, knowledge of the game, shrewd signings, etc, make him the best in my book. Sure, other teams will want him. They've seen what he has done for us. But would he go? I sincerely hope not. I really can't think of anyone who could come in and fill his boots. He is simply the best.

Samo

Birmingham is a basket case, out of the frying pan and all that, but Bristol well run, nice ground, lots of potential and realistic expectations. That I could see.

Not only has MR achieved something but with nice football, a low budget, promoted youth, made cash on transfers, great backroom team - what's not to like? I'd be amazed if other clubs weren't interested but hope we can hold onto him at least one more season, although he's not stupid and his stock as a manager likely never been higher.

Bristol would be too comfortable for MR I think. He likes to succeed in spite of challenging circumstances. I think he likes the 'backs against the wall' scenario and sticking it to the council. If he takes us back to the Ricoh and anywhere near the Prem he'll be a legend for as long as this club exists.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Would have to be a very good offer for him to go, not just in terms of wages but set up. Even then if we're holding our own next season I think he'd stay. He's got a lot of leeway with most of the fans here - somewhere else he'd have to build it from scratch.

jto123

Bristol would be too comfortable for MR I think. He likes to succeed in spite of challenging circumstances. I think he likes the 'backs against the wall' scenario and sticking it to the council. If he takes us back to the Ricoh and anywhere near the Prem he'll be a legend for as long as this club exists.

Really doubt that he enjoys working under difficult circumstances. That would be bizarrely counter intuitive for his career.

Samo

Really doubt that he enjoys working under difficult circumstances. That would be bizarrely counter intuitive for his career.

Its working out for him so far.

cooperskyblue

Robins is the most important person at our club! I think he loves the club, we love him. I think he knows that he is onto achieving greatness here (he already has in my eyes) but he sees our potential. I think he wants to see it through.

If we were in L1 still I'd be slightly more worried but being in the Champ I am not worried by Bristol or anyone else. It seems like he has the backing of the owners and a good relationship and trust of Joy Seppala.
I genuinely think he has ambitions to take us back to the Prem. And he is the one man i think could do it.

He is onto a great thing here with us and he seems to have regret about leaving before and how it happened and I think he relishes the challenge here because he is now 1 great season away from becoming an absolute all time club legend.

PVA

He won't go to Birmingham, but I think he would be tempted by Bristol City , that's a pretty attractive job for someone.

EAst ender

Bristol City wont be a Prem team next season
They're in freefall at the moment.

Hence why we are after a new manager. We've been utter toilet for some time.
Given the short break between the end of this season and the start of the next, it makes sense to do it now for us rather than waiting.
Will we be after MR? No idea but Hughton seems to be the name being mentioned a lot, closely followed by Jokanovic, if we can get either.
Rest easy, I don't think we'll be after your man, even though he's doing a fine job.

ccfcchris

Robins is building this club from scratch and enjoying every minute of it. He'll feel there is much further to go yet and I genuinely feel he's also emotionally involved with the club.
I really can't see him leaving to start again somewhere else. Not at this time anyway.

Sterling Archer

Lets be honest, if any Championship Club offered to double or treble his wages, he'd probably be gone and you couldn't blame him.

Paxman II

MR's has done miracles under trying circumstances since returning. SISU played their part in backing him. Adi Vievash has been integral to MR's, so if one went the other would go too.
Bristol City have no pedigree of top level football. Thie gound is old, their support average (two city club - both always in lower divisions) There is no evidence to suggest Bristol City would pump up substantial funds to build a side for the premiership challenge. New club and keeping status quo in mid table or so would not be a good career move for MR's wondering what he might have achieved with us.

He has earned the faith and backing at CCFC, the fans, and has established a sustainable model that other clubs have yet to try. He has built a squad capable of improving each season and with the relative ability to tweak at he sees fit. Now his new challenge is to see if he can get a run at the premiership. It may be a season or two of ups and downs before he gets it right, but he will relish that challenge. If backing is not forthcoming, and he fails he has the perfect excuse to put that down to the clubs situation being unresolved. Go to the likes of Bristol City and fail, and he hurts his reputation. He has much more to lose.

I firmly belive we will be back at the Ricoh for next season and so with that comes a loosening of purse strings to maintain our chances, large crowds and an atmophere far better than the dour one in Bristol, or many others. We are very much on an upward spiral.

If Aston Villa approached him with a silly money offer, and being only up the road - that would likely be a very different scenario. He won't go to a Norwich, Bournemouth or many others over CCFC. at this time.

Paxman II

Lets be honest, if any Championship Club offered to double or treble his wages, he'd probably be gone and you couldn't blame him.

This is a misguided view. After the recent pandemic compounded even more so.
It would need to be a Villa or club of such staure to be tempting and that is highly unlikely as M's has himself been unproven at championship level?
I suspect hardly any team in the championship would double or tripple his wages! In the grand schme of things any offer would be matched by SISU for him to stay aprt from say a Villa.
But as I say, MR's has no proven ability yet in the championship. If he takes us close next season but ultimately fails his value would then sky rocket!

Paxman II

Hence why we are after a new manager. We've been utter toilet for some time.
Given the short break between the end of this season and the start of the next, it makes sense to do it now for us rather than waiting.
Will we be after MR? No idea but Hughton seems to be the name being mentioned a lot, closely followed by Jokanovic, if we can get either.
Rest easy, I don't think we'll be after your man, even though he's doing a fine job.

Chris Houghton would do a fine job where ever he went tbf. Decent guy, decent manager and gets the best from his players, while on slightly restricted budgets. Reminds me a lot of Mark Robins, but has proved himself time and again.

Halftime Orange

I believe he is here for the long haul and has set out to do a job so can't see him going anywhere. Why would he leave to go start from scratch at another club.

jto123

This is a misguided view. After the recent pandemic compounded even more so.
It would need to be a Villa or club of such staure to be tempting and that is highly unlikely as M's has himself been unproven at championship level?
I suspect hardly any team in the championship would double or tripple his wages! In the grand schme of things any offer would be matched by SISU for him to stay aprt from say a Villa.
But as I say, MR's has no proven ability yet in the championship. If he takes us close next season but ultimately fails his value would then sky rocket!

It is not misguided though to think that if someone did double his wages that he would be off. I, like any football fan, want to believe in loyalty, but realistically individuals want to make money. It is also well noted that we are a club that is probably more difficult to run then others. I hope I am wrong, but we can't be arrogant to think that Robins will stay for the love of the club. We have do have a future to work towards, which most likely involves having a stadium.

RegTheDonk

Not inevitable and he won't leave - he's got Sky Blue blood now and he'll be taking us into the Prem next year.

On a serious note, he's well liked by the fans .... seems to have a relationship with the owners and Broddy .... the players look like they respect him and he seems on their wavelength. A silly money offer from some massive club might turn his head, but I think he knows he could be a Jimmy Hill kind of legend with us. Not many hop-scotch managers will one day have a statue made of them.

Users who are viewing this thread