...increase in migrants across the Channel. (2 Viewers)

Marty

I did like this quote though :

This does not mean asylum seekers live in luxury; far from it; people have no say in where they live and are often left to survive on around £5 a day.

You can easily live on £5 a day

Nick

Administrator
You can easily live on £5 a day

I remember a single mum at the school whinging that after her bills came out she was only left with £600 for the month to live off with 2 kids and was disgusted by it.

giphy.gif

£5 a day isn't actually that bad if there aren't any bills to pay. Obviously it isn't a life of luxury but its do-able.

chiefdave

I remember a single mum at the school whinging that after her bills came out she was only left with £600 for the month to live off with 2 kids and was disgusted by it.
Going a bit off topic but this kind of thing drives me mad. I work full time in a decent job but after rent, bills and daycare (not to mention paying off a divorce!) I'm lucky if there's anything left.

Either I'm missing a trick or people are happily running up huge debts they never intend to pay as I see people on facebook and the like, ex colleagues and school mates etc, who are throwing money round left, right and centre despite being in jobs that wouldn't pay as well as mine if they've even got a job. And I'm not talking occasional nights out, its new cars every couple of years, expensive holidays multiple times a year. Its nuts.

tommydazzle

giphy.gif

£5 a day isn't actually that bad if there aren't any bills to pay. Obviously it isn't a life of luxury but its do-able.
Yes Nick, I was once involved in running a course funded by the job centre to support job seekers in updating their skills to improve their job prospects. One day I found a document left in the photocopier by one of the clients - it was a benefit statement. I was absolutely flabbergasted when I saw that this youngish, single mum 'earned' more in benefits than me and my current partner combined per month. This same girl arrived by taxi funded by the job centre! She understandably, in terms of her own financial situation was not interested in finding work unless it paid considerably more. This was several years ago so they system may be very different now I hasten to add.

Astute

Going a bit off topic but this kind of thing drives me mad. I work full time in a decent job but after rent, bills and daycare (not to mention paying off a divorce!) I'm lucky if there's anything left.

Either I'm missing a trick or people are happily running up huge debts they never intend to pay as I see people on facebook and the like, ex colleagues and school mates etc, who are throwing money round left, right and centre despite being in jobs that wouldn't pay as well as mine if they've even got a job. And I'm not talking occasional nights out, its new cars every couple of years, expensive holidays multiple times a year. Its nuts.
A lot of people seem to think they have to keep up with others. I have been asked several times why I drive older cars. Most have new/nearly new. My cars are 1997, 2003 and 2008. If I was to buy similar new it would cost me about 75k or a lot on rental like most people do these days. They cost me a total of £3,800. The car I have been considering for ages costs about 70k for a base model and most spend thousands on top. I have been looking around the 8k mark....about 7 to 8 years old.

I don't need to keep up with others. This way I can afford to pay cash. And they are nearly as reliable as new cars.

Marty

A lot of people seem to think they have to keep up with others. I have been asked several times why I drive older cars. Most have new/nearly new. My cars are 1997, 2003 and 2008. If I was to buy similar new it would cost me about 75k or a lot on rental like most people do these days. They cost me a total of £3,800. The car I have been considering for ages costs about 70k for a base model and most spend thousands on top. I have been looking around the 8k mark....about 7 to 8 years old.

I don't need to keep up with others. This way I can afford to pay cash. And they are nearly as reliable as new cars.

I'm in the market for a new car. What car is it that you're looking at?

Astute

I'm in the market for a new car. What car is it that you're looking at?
VW Phaeton. Been looking for a W12 6ltr with low mileage for ages. Can't find one. So been considering the v6 3ltr. But it is diesel. And not sure when VW started their crap with the diesel engines. Similar base to a Bentley but with different body and VW badge. Doesn't look flash.

Marty

VW Phaeton. Been looking for a W12 6ltr with low mileage for ages. Can't find one. So been considering the v6 3ltr. But it is diesel. And not sure when VW started their crap with the diesel engines. Similar base to a Bentley but with different body and VW badge. Doesn't look flash.

Looks really smart car that. Been looking for a Aston Martin DB9 or Porsche 911, or I may keep similar to what I have currently and go for a Lancer Evolution.

hill83

Anyway.

Fiver a day we were talking about was it?

ccfc92

Anyway.

Let's really break that down.

60p for a loaf of bread. £1.30 for 30 slices of ham. £1 for butter/spread. Bottle of 2L water, 50p? £1.50ish left for a bag of sweets/treat.

I bet genuine homeless people would love that everyday.

Astute

Looks really smart car that. Been looking for a Aston Martin DB9 or Porsche 911, or I may keep similar to what I have currently and go for a Lancer Evolution.
With my age I have to be careful what I drive. Would look like my midlife crisis :joyful: And I like to blend in. That is what is good about the Phaeton. It is mainly bought by business people who travel a lot but don't want to look flash when they go to meetings.

I would go for the DB9. Great drive. Easily the better looking. And suspension more comfortable. You have a car like that to stand out from the crowd. The DB9 does it better.

Astute

60p for a loaf of bread. £1.30 for 30 slices of ham. £1 for butter/spread. Bottle of 2L water, 50p? £1.50ish left for a bag of sweets/treat.

Homeless are homeless for a reason. Many are not seen as a priority for housing so end up on the streets. We have ex military that were sent to war by Bliar who suffered badly then never qualified for housing on leaving the forces. They have also paid into the system for years. But if you come here illegally and then be told you shouldn't be here you qualify for housing.

Something wrong there.

Astute

Anyway.

If they were coming here to escape war/famine I would say give them much more. But we are on about those who have left a safe country to get here. There are people that work hard and end up with about the same after paying rent/bills. My concerns are more with those who should be here and on a very low amount than those who chose to come here to get what they can.

ccfc92

Homeless are homeless for a reason. Many are not seen as a priority for housing so end up on the streets. We have ex military that were sent to war by Bliar who suffered badly then never qualified for housing on leaving the forces. They have also paid into the system for years. But if you come here illegally and then be told you shouldn't be here you qualify for housing.

Something wrong there.

Don't forget, that will be £5 per day/£35 per week PER person in the household, according to the Gov's website.

Captain Dart

I'm not taking dietary advice from you any time soon.

Ian1779

According to the Universal Credit system a family of 4 can live on £9 for six weeks.

covcity4life

couldnt go to a cov match
couldnt buy a good toy for their kid

its not ideal is my point, whether they should be here or not end of day they are worse off than me and i got compassion for that

ccfc92

I'm not taking dietary advice from you any time soon.

I'm sure you could look at more nutritious food that could be bought for £5 a day, I was just listing some basic foods.

The point is, with no bills or accommodation to pay for, anyone could easily live off £5 a day per person.

clint van damme

couldnt go to a cov match
couldnt buy a good toy for their kid

its not ideal is my point, whether they should be here or not end of day they are worse off than me and i got compassion for that

I'd imagine when weighing up the pros and cons of leaving your home country seeing City is number one reason with escaping ISIS second and no access to water and health care third!

Astute

Would be interesting to know.

Googling France it looks like they get detained: This immigration law has exposed the brutal limits of Macron’s liberalism | Gabriel Bristow
The French also recently took a couple of Immigrants and ILLEGALLY dropped them off in Italy as it was where they arrived first in the EU.

Yet we are horrid for giving them a roof over their head, all bills paid and a fiver a day per person. Family of 5 £25 a day. £750 a month after home and bills paid for. Not bad for someone who shouldn't be there.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'd imagine when weighing up the pros and cons of leaving your home country seeing City is number one reason with escaping ISIS second and no access to water and health care third!

I think that's part of the issue though. How many are actually from Syria getting away from ISIS?

For the record I would also probably rather be there than have to watch city play anyway.

Nick

Administrator
I think that's part of the issue though. How many are actually from Syria getting away from ISIS?

For the record I would also probably rather be there than have to watch city play anyway.

Didn't somebody say most of the people coming over on dinghies weren't from Syria?

Users who are viewing this thread