Match Thread Huddersfield on saturday (2 Viewers)

The CableGuy

Was at the game and boy, that was disappointing, especially for my oldest nephew who was at his first football game. Loads of effort from City but the lack of quality was there for all to see. Shame really cos the fans were great and the sun was out.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Been a cracking season and the way we lost today left a sour taste in my mouth (maybe that was my lunch though), I really doubt the penalty I think its a poor decision but we mustn’t give the referees a decision to make as it near enough always goes against us

Macca

I don’t get this arrogance every week that we haven’t beaten “that shit” . we have performed like a mid table team and funnily enough that’s where we end up. It seems these days that if you can pass the ball around in pretty patterns in non threatening positions then you can class yourselves as superior. That’s a given. My local non league side can do that. Anyone above us is a more efficient footballing unit. Definition of a better footballing side depends on your view. For me though it’s a bit simplistic, score more goals than the opposition on a regular basis. If the EFL start dishing out points for artistic impression I’ll change my mind

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I don’t get this arrogance every week that we haven’t beaten “that shit” . we have performed like a mid table team and funnily enough that’s where we end up. It seems these days that if you can pass the ball around in pretty patterns in non threatening positions then you can class yourselves as superior. That’s a given. My local non league side can do that. Anyone above us is a more efficient footballing unit. Definition of a better footballing side depends on your view. For me though it’s a bit simplistic, score more goals than the opposition on a regular basis. If the EFL start dishing out points for artistic impression I’ll change my mind
Its not arrogance when even they admit we were the better team and it was smash and grab

better days

They looked like a team that’s only lost 2 this year - we looked like a team that’s won 2 home games this year
The final league table doesn't often lie
We've done much better than most of us expected
But perhaps we could have been a bit more adventurous at times
Especially with subs which were too often of a defensive nature
Hopefully next season we'll have the confidence to go for it more often

Last edited:

cc84cov

The final league table doesn't often lie
We've done much better than most of expected
But perhaps we could have been a bit more adventurous at times
Especially with subs which were too often of a defensive nature
Hopefully next season we'll have the confidence to go for it more often
More adventure was needed from SISU in the January window instead we signed the Waghorn of LWB on Bidwell on a Pardew contract

Macca

Its not arrogance when even they admit we were the better team and it was smash and grab

being susceptible, regularly, to not having an end product and be weak at the back does not make us better than these other teams.Depends what success looks like. We are oh so pretty but halfway down the table and they are awful with a shot at the premier league

Grendel

More adventure was needed from SISU in the January window instead we signed the Waghorn of LWB on Bidwell on a Pardew contract

dare I ask what’s a Pardew contract

clint van damme

We're not non threatening though. We created good chances yesterday. We just weren't clinical enough.

Grendel

You can obviously look at any stat to suit but over 30 games this is where we are. Like West Brom we’ve fell off a cliff - unlike them it’s our home record which has been the problem

Grendel

Remember the 7 year contract Newcastle give him ? We went OTT with Bidwell as he was going to Boro but we came in and offered 3 & half years to get him here

he’s 28 not 32 so it’s not a huge issue is it?

Grendel

Well no I agree he’s probably good at some stuff but not LWB his body type is all wrong for it

He’s played there most of his career had a reasonable game yesterday

Philosorapter

You can obviously look at any stat to suit but over 30 games this is where we are. Like West Brom we’ve fell off a cliff - unlike them it’s our home record which has been the problem

Have to admit, over the last few days I have been doing some tests on this version of Glicko-2 which I am using compared to Elo.

I wouldn't say it's a cliff. Just the weightings of teams we have played.

Even Elo is saying City's ratings are steady.

Elo..PNG

Grendel

Have to admit, over the last few days I have been doing some tests on this version of Glicko-2 which I am using compared to Elo.

I wouldn't say it's a cliff. Just the weightings of teams we have played.

Even Elo is saying City's ratings are steady.

View attachment 24534

We’ve got 17 points in 17 home games from achieving 18 in the first 6 - we’ve beaten 3 of the top 6 at home

Philosorapter

We’ve got 17 points in 17 home games from achieving 18 in the first 6 - we’ve beaten 3 of the top 6 at home

Yep, the stats above gives the expected win/draw/loss percentage and the result in the yellow box.

Elo is less accurate than Glicko-2. People in the chess world say the difference is up to 10%

SIR ERNIE

Rose, Fadz and Hyam are always at risk of being exposed when Sheaf is not playing. They certainly were yesterday. Sheaf has good defensive awareness and provides protection in front of them, something that Hamer for all his qualities, just doesn't have. Huddersfield set themselves up to be a strong, effective counter attacking side away from home and they looked dangerous every time they went forward.

Philosorapter

Just in case anyone wanted to know.

Here's the last two seasons in the Championship, with the match odds for the next match blacked out.

Edit - the issue with Elo, as well, has always been how it adds new players into a rating ladder. Glicko-2 solves this issue.

Some fun stat crunching for everyone :)

Much easier to look at graphs.

Championship 2 seasons.PNG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread