Match Thread Huddersfield (H) Mon 25/09 (7 Viewers)

procdoc

At the risk of sounding derogatory to the players, the diamond thing is just too complicated unless you are in a side that knows the way each other plays. We have had a lot of changes and surely bedding them in with a simple 442 would sort out everything. Play Sakamoto as the wide midfielder safe in the knowledge that there is a full back behind him to cover the space. Id be interested if any of you guys play/played in the diamond for your clubs and how you found it was to play?
We don’t play a diamond formation. We play 3-4-1-2 effectively. The diamond is 4-1-2-1-2.
For our current formation to work you need the two deep midfielders to be defensively sound and have one of them be more box to box. That requires a lot of energy which neither Kelly or Eccles possess. That’s why I assume we bought in Ayari. At the moment the two defensive midfielders play too far apart from Palmer. As poor as he has been in recent games he does need more support from the other two. I’d like to see Wright drift into the left channel more and find space out there. At the moment he tries to drop into the hole but is closed down quickly so a loose touch is quickly anticipated by the opposition defence or midfield.
If we do revert to the box then Jamie Allen needs to come in. He’s got the energy to get around the pitch and support the main forward and is also a goal threat.
There is a lot for Robins and his team to iron out, hoping this happens sooner rather than later. I actually think Wright has a lot of ability and makes intelligent runs. The midfield just can’t seem to take advantage of this

ProfessorbyGrace

With MVE out with a quad tear, this is looking increasingly worrying…

Eccles at RWB or having to switch DaSilva there (as suggested in another thread) doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence.

I would happily take the most scrappy, disjointed, appalling 1-0 off Wilson’s crotch in the 93rd minute at this stage. PUSB.

Brighton Sky Blue

Eccles at RWB or having to switch DaSilva there (as suggested in another thread) doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence.

I would happily take the most scrappy, disjointed, appalling 1-0 off Wilson’s crotch in the 93rd minute at this stage. PUSB.
Only we can spend so much money in a transfer window and still end up with a depleted squad.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think Robins is going to have to give up whatever hopes he had of overhauling our playing style this season and just be as pragmatic as possible. It’s a bridge year now.
Would go with

Collins

JDS
Kitching
McF/Thomas
Lati

Kelly
Ayari

Saka
Palmer
Allen

Godden/Simms

The work rate of Saka and Allen should compensate for Palmer’s…positioning shall we say.

napolimp

Could be out for rest of the season. You have to wonder why we keep on picking up these significant injuries. Always seems to be positions with no cover too, it's not like the 2 recent injuries could have been a CB, LWB, or forward.

Hertsccfc

I'd go

Wilson

Eccles
Latibeaudiere
McFadzean
Binks
Dasilva

Kelly
Ayari
Sakamoto
Allen/Palmer depending on fitness

Godden

steve101

The only players to justify starting from recent performances are Binks, Latibeudiere, Kelly and Godden. I would add Allen to the list too but doubt he will be fit enough to start.

procdoc

Not going to happen but as Shmeee suggested previously we Could try 4-2-3-1 with Sakamoto and Wright as inside forwards with Ayari in the 10 role.

Wilson
Lati Fadz Binks Dasilva
Kelly Eccles
Sakamoto Ayari Wright
Godden

Boicey

He needs to reorganise to get Simms, Ayari, Allen and Sakamoto in.
And get Palmer out.
Possibly in a 4 4 2.
Never going to happen.

Boicey

If it's basically the same starting 11 as Cardiff because Robins gave them a kick up the arse and demanded they go again I will despair.

Noble

With MvE out and calls for a changeup in the system I'd really like to see us have a go with a back 4 and try and give Sakamoto more game time in a wide attacking position.

fernandopartridge

I think Robins is going to have to give up whatever hopes he had of overhauling our playing style this season and just be as pragmatic as possible. It’s a bridge year now.

TBH we've generally been better when we've been pragmatic e.g. the League 1 title winning season, we were playing a 4-3-3 possession based game that was flipped to 3-5-2 at half time of the Fleetwood due to injury iirc - we never looked back and McFadz (who came on at half time that night) hasn't either.

SBT

TBH we've generally been better when we've been pragmatic e.g. the League 1 title winning season, we were playing a 4-3-3 possession based game that was flipped to 3-5-2 at half time of the Fleetwood due to injury iirc - we never looked back and McFadz (who came on at half time that night) hasn't either.
Yep - see also the L2 season where we gradually shifted from a mostly ineffective 4231 to a more pragmatic 442 after Andreu and Jones got injured.

You also have to think that to some extent the counter attacking style from last season came more out of necessity than design.

The issue here is that a Championship team shouldn’t really have to make such compromises seven games in after spending £20 million on new players

skybluecam

Godden - Wright/Simms
Saka
Dasilva - Kelly - Ayari - Eccles
Kitching/Binks - Fadz - Lati
Wilson

That's what I'd like to see unless MR is working on a major tactical shift in training this week (he isn't).

Boicey

How, realistically are all 4 of them playing in a 4-4-2? a central midfield of Allen and Ayari? Who is on each wing?
Probably just play Sakamoto as a winger and use Eccles in the 4. Or Dasila on the left, Sakamoto on the right and Bidwell cover as left back.

Boicey

Can't believe we've been relegated after 7 games for the second season in a row ffs

3-0 City
I guess you missed the poll where, checks notes, 2 people out of 101 said we'd be relegated?
And they were probably joking.

Users who are viewing this thread