How Would You Rate Our Transfer Dealings This Window? (Jan 18) (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

The transfer window is done and dusted, so I'm curious as to what people's opinions are on how we've got on this window. In short, I think we've done quite well, I'd rate our dealings as a 7/10. I think we needed to replace Jones and Andreu as best as possible, and I think the two young loanees we brought in is an ideal situation for us because regardless of what happens this season, we'll have Andreu and Jones back.

Ins:

Josh Barrett - by all accounts been a star for Reading U23s, is a natural left winger, but apparently versatile enough to play across the midfield three. Hopefully chip in with a few goals.

Jordan Maguire-Drew - started a few games and has looked a good player, plus, he is touted as a similar player to Jones. Again, a loan was desirable because we only need a temporary replacement for JJ.

Jonson Clarke-Harris - potential to be a real coup for us, played most of his football in higher leagues and has found himself unlucky since he got injured. Is that 'strong, powerful and athletic' we want to give us options and add more competition to the squad. Would've preferred Davies because of his form this season, but JCH has age on his side to develop even further with us.

Outs:

Turnbull - he wanted out, defence is without a doubt our strongest area at the minute, it's a good move to get him off our books.

Stevenson - disappointed he's gone. Clearly has potential, but it looks like he's either been tapped up or engineered a move away. To get a rumoured 500k + add ons is a decent fee, considering he isn't getting much game time and his form hasn't been anything special either. However, 500k seems a bit low given we wanted 1.5m last season, and I think he would've done well in L1 if we were to get promoted this season.

rupert_bear

Half a million for a fourth division player who hardly plays has to be a good deal I know we are selling potential but as said has hardly played and we need money we have a deal for next seasons Home games to sort out.

westofrayne

In
JMD - On the ball looks OK, but need to see more of him once he settles in. Off the ball, there is a he'll of a lots that needs to be worked on , lack of tracking back and certainly can't tackle.

JB - Ball at his feet, looks like he could be useful. with out the ball (see above). All 8k of us saw him duck out a 50/50 challenge in midfield ay MK, this side of his games needs a lot of work.

JCH - Not a bad signing, but we will have to wait and see how things pan out, this will push JP down the pecking order, be interesting to see how JP reacts.

out -

JT - wanted to go, let him go, not hard feelings.No real loss.

BS - I believe this leaves us light in CM, but if his head was turned and Wolves wanted him AND we get a good deal then OK. BUT we wont know if we got a good deal as undisclosed. what is disappointing is that he was farmed out to Col U, this could effect us on the 13th. Good luck to the lad though, just hope he does not play against us on 13th.

overall ok but I think we are light in CM, Tuesday showed us we need a CM on the bench, Doyle and Bayliss struggled the 2nd half against Cambridge, both looked knackered and we needed to bring someone on.

Otis

In
JMD - On the ball looks OK, but need to see more of him once he settles in. Off the ball, there is a he'll of a lots that needs to be worked on , lack of tracking back and certainly can't tackle.

JB - Ball at his feet, looks like he could be useful. with out the ball (see above). All 8k of us saw him duck out a 50/50 challenge in midfield ay MK, this side of his games needs a lot of work.

JCH - Not a bad signing, but we will have to wait and see how things pan out, this will push JP down the pecking order, be interesting to see how JP reacts.

out -

BS - I believe this leaves us light in CM, but if his head was turned and Wolves wanted him AND we get a good deal then OK. BUT we wont know if we got a good deal as undisclosed. what is disappointing is that he was farmed out to Col U, this could effect us on the 13th. Good luck to the lad though, just hope he does not play against us on 13th.

overall ok but I think we are light in CM, Tuesday showed us we need a CM on the bench, Doyle and Bayliss struggled the 2nd half against Cambridge, both looked knackered and we needed to bring someone on.

We have for the CM midfield:

Doyle
Bayliss
Kelly
Barrett
Maycock
Shipley

The latter three can all play in the centre.

Dazmataz

In

out -

I would say that both the strikers looked knackered last 20, but that Robins didn’t fancy bringing on either Beavon or Ponticelli. I think we’ve strengthened in the right area.

torchomatic

lifeskyblue

Keeping Baylis = good business. Selling a player that can’t get into a 4th division team = good business. Getting in cover up front from a division higher = good business. Bringing in replacements for andreu and jones (even if they might not quite be up to the standard yet) = ok business. Turnbull going= good business.
Overall a good window for us...the only disappointment nobody wanted Reid but even that has a silver lining...he might now realise his attitude has left him on the scrap heap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmmeee

More disappointed with how Stevesons attitude turned out than the fact we sold him to be honest. Turnbull wanted out so no problems with the sales. Would’ve liked to see us bring in one more but you can’t have everything. If we go up we’ll probably need new players anyway so maybe the right move not to buy permanents now. We’ll see. If we drop off they’re all crap and a mistake. ;)

Cranfield Sky Blue

We needed at the end of December:

To cover Jones and Andrew with similar style players on loan. Tick
To provide support for Biamou and McNulty. Tick
To keep the "stars" like Willis, Bayliss, McDonald etc. Tick

To get shot of Turnbull. (Shame I liked him). Tick
To get shot of Reid. Cross

And I guess we had to sell one to cover other costs. Stevenson hasn't been near the first eleven recently and we haven't missed him. He will be a player, but not in Wolves first team for the next 18 months!

We could still "payoff" Reid and he go elsewhere.

So all in all, it's been as good as we could have hoped.

Keep up the good work MR and TW.

mark82

In

out -

Maybe if Baker comes in he provides extra cover in CM.

Speng

Pretty good , we could have moved a few more on ie Reid , Bevon , and prob sent a few more on loan , pont as I don’t think robins thinks he’s 100% ready ,
But let’s get Bayliss / mcnaulty on new deals , keep them happy ...

Hobo

Stevenson had lost his way and his attitude was not right. Turnbull we needed to off load. So out has been good business.

Willis, Bayliss, McNulty, McDonald staying excellent business.

The lads coming in seem to fit the areas we need to address. They all have potential. Whether they will turnout to be good enough only time will tell; but this is league 2 and you just don't go out and buy stars.
We have a squad that has been unlucky with injuries to a few key players but have kept going, developed a good team spirit and are in touch with the promotion play offs (and still in FA Cup which is a nice bonus).

For me it is about who is still here rather than who has left. Good luck to the new lads, get your heads down and work hard.

Nick

Administrator
I think the only downside was not getting rid of Reid.

Stevenson clearly wanted out, better off without him if he wants to be like that. It's not like he has come in and changed games either.

Esoterica

It's a bit chicken and egg for me. If Stevenson's attitude was better in the first place, he probably wouldn't have been 4th choice at a L2 club and we would all have been a lot more disappointed at his sale. When you look back at his performances, with hindsight, it looks like his head was gone last January after the Brentford bids which was sandwiched in between his 2 mates moving on to higher divisions and better pay. The whole thing seems very immature and it's a pity that he's sulked for a year and got his way.
I'm nervous about the JCH deal too. A player dropping down the leagues at the 11th hour of the Jan window, to a former club and with a bit of a reputation. This just as we're in a bit of form, putting a run together and have seemingly the best team spirit for many a year. I'm probably being over cautious but feels like we've taken a gamble to get us over the line that has some risk associated with it.

westofrayne

We have for the CM midfield:

Doyle
Bayliss
Kelly
Barrett
Maycock
Shipley

The latter three can all play in the centre.

Whilst I would agree with your list, the latter 3 would struggle in CM from what I have seen this season. I hope I'm wrong and we don't need them or if needed they fit in perfectly.

AFCCOVENTRY

If you look at back up for the strikers for MM and Mb. We have JP, SB and JCH. Also Barrett can play as a striker. So I think we are pretty well stocked in that area now.

steve82

Looking at this window I think we've done excellent business, JMD and Barrett will come good in a month once adapted and the grass starts appearing on better pitches, this will allow them to play and showcase there talent.

JCH cones with a warning label but I'm sure MR and TW would of done there home work appropriately on him and asked current players on there thoughts on him off the pitch.

MR will of weighed it all up and rightly followed this signing up. A real coup for deadline day. Power, ability, speed and a eye for goal.

Could of been the best bit of business yesterday in L2 along with Luton signing Jake Jervis.

I see Ponticelli going out on loan to Tamworth very soon, and likely a few other young lads on the fringes to gain vital match experience.

The loss of Stevenson is offset by the emergence of Tom Bayliss so no issues here from me and Turnbull departed early doors.

We're just left with a problem called Reid... I'd imagine he's a 9.00am appointment at Ryton.

All in all a good window for a change.

Captain Dart

Given how positive everyone was after Slade's dealings this time last year I think it is best to withhold judgement pending evidence.

But seen nothing bad so far and squad is no worse than it was, all the important players have been retained.

SkyBlueCRJ

Considering we've usually crashed and burned in the majority of the previous January windows I'm pleased with how we've conducted our business in this years window.

We've signed appropriate replacements where needed, offloaded one of our biggest earners and managed to put cash in the bank to keep us ticking over until the summer.

Disappointing we couldn't offload more players though. Reid, DeKE and Beavon should have been moved on but not our fault if there were no takers.

shmmeee

Considering we've usually crashed and burned in the majority of the previous January windows I'm pleased with how we've conducted our business in this years window.

We've signed appropriate replacements where needed, offloaded one of our biggest earners and managed to put cash in the bank to keep us ticking over until the summer.

Disappointing we couldn't offload more players though. Reid, DeKE and Beavon should have been moved on but not our fault if there were no takers.

Bit harsh on DKE, he’s only a kid in his first pro season.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Rate the dealing rubbish we let Stevenson go when his value would only have increased, people on here saying we need to sell well if we are running the club with no interference from you know who where is the money going Checkatrade money F A cup money lord knows if we had not got that then Willis ,Bayliss MacNulty and anyone worth anything would have gone . We sign Jonson Clarke Harris 13 first team games in the last 3 years 1 goal , Josh Barrett 4 first team games in 3 years no goals , Jordan McGuire -Drew 14 league games no goals . .WE NEED GOALS. We have still got Beavon and Reid on our books .Hate to have seen a bad window .Very harsh on DKE if some others fringe players showed the same commitment first team player would be being pushed for their places.

Users who are viewing this thread