How will Clive Eakin perform on CWR tonight ? (2 Viewers)

Samo

Yes, but not if I knew we were guarenteed to be playing 10 men for 70+ mins and/or be 2-0 up after 47 mins. That's why you can't just ignore the
circumstances of the game. Do you still have an issue with my post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

I'm no fan of Eakin but the point he was trying to make was that most people, before we knew the circumstances of the game, would have taken a point at SU. I agree with him on that point.

skybluepm2

Don't know what is worse, that hour of my life I'll never get back or the latest Telegraph 'article' http://t.co/nH8wvtH0Pm

Getting the opinions of people that matter...

Same here! What a waste...EAKIN OUT!

Wish you hadn't diverted me to Olive and Iris's article though..... Zzzz. Good to see the Telegraph Journo's are earning their corn this week!!

LJC_CCFC

Why not come on here or GMK and get the opinions of fans passionate enough to waste half their day on a forum discussing the club?

Samo

It's hypothetical.

A draw 11 v 11 would be a decent result. A draw in the 'circumstances' that actually took place' meant it was a poor result.

Jesus, some on here would argue about the colour of shite. Its a simple question; would you have taken a point BEFORE the game? I would.

stupot07

I'm no fan of Eakin but the point he was trying to make was that most people, before we knew the circumstances of the game, would have taken a point at SU. I agree with him on that point.

Fair enough, but you can't look back and ignore the red card and 2-0 lead.

Would we have been happy with a 2-1 loss at Scunthorpe before Reda's sending off? No, but the fact we played most of the game with 10 made defeat almost inevitable. Relegation zone Burnley managed to pull out a late equaliser away at runaway league leaders Chelsea, and chelsea had only been down to 10 men for 20 mins.

11v11 before it kicked off yes 2-2 is a good result, but we played against 10 men for 70+ mins and were 2-0 up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

LJC_CCFC

Jesus, some on here would argue about the colour of shite. Its a simple question; would you have taken a point BEFORE the game. I would.

Solely based on the result it was a 'good' point. I think the manner in which we succumbed to the draw removed any positives we could take from the result.

Samo

Solely based on the result it was a 'good' point. I think the manner in which we succumbed to the
draw removed any positives we could take from the result.

Agreed.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Jesus, some on here would argue about the colour of shite. Its a simple question; would you have taken a point BEFORE the game? I would.

The simple answer is yes.

Would you respond to the notion that at 2-0 we then completely imploded and had no tactical nouse whatsoever to combat a 10 man onslaught ?

Eakin doesn't mention any of this. He thought we looked very impressive. He also conveniently forgets to mention that Sheffield played almost the whole game with 10 men,

Evo1883

Point at sheff utd is great ...point at sheffield utd after being 2-0 up and playing 10 men for 70 mins ...not so good and deservidely sealed pressleys fate ...the end

Samo

The simple answer is yes.

Would you respond to the notion that at 2-0 we then completely imploded and had no tactical nouse whatsoever to combat a 10 man onslaught ?

Eakin doesn't mention any of this. He thought we looked very impressive. He also conveniently forgets to mention that Sheffield played almost the whole game with 10 men,

I acknowledge all of that but... Surely we have all heard of the 'would you have taken a point before the game' question? Fans have been asking each other this question since the football league began. The whole point of the question is that it winds back to before the circumstances of the game. The whole point! Yet all of a sudden that fundamental point seems to be beyond everyone on this thread.

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I must admit I was a little surprised when Pressley was sacked on the back of this match because I never thought it would happen at all this season. There were, to be frank, far worse results than this recently and yet the powers that be never seemed to be anything but behind him. Obviously the sacking was the result of a cumulative under achievement, particularly at home. To be honest I think he should have gone after Scunthorpe rather than Sheffield.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Its an irrelevant point, the reality is that the draw was a disaster.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Surely the show is about the supporters' point of view. Clive Eakin is entitled to his opinion but he took it upon himself to keep pushing it. He is not the most important aspect of the show, but that's how it came across.

Samo

Its an irrelevant point, the reality is that the draw was a disaster.

If all speculation, theory and retrospection is irrelevant, we might as well close down SBT now. Nick?

Philosorapter

This is all about results.

We fell and are currently in the relegation zone, this is unacceptable. The sacking had nothing to do with short sighted thinking, its a measure of how CCFC has done this season.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Clive thinks the win ratio comment was strange because its a stat and dependent on circumstance.

Not if the manager obtains the similar 'stats' at each club he fire to Clive. God I can't stand this bloke

I didn't hear the phone in but I agree with that.
Win ratios is bollox.
You just look at how that manager did and what their circumstances were at the time.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Yeah, he also said that if we ignore the circumstances of the game, that was a good result....

Then he is contradicting himself
You can't ignore the circumstances behind a win ratio.
Then when you want to make a point ignite the circumstances behind a result.
Prior to the match good result.
Circumstances of the match = cock up of a result

dongonzalos

How is that beforehand?

Someone says to you beforehand
Would you take draw against sheff utd answer yes
Then they say would you take a draw if you were offered it at 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go. You would say nah to be honest I would be quite disappointed with that.

Thorn got sacked for drawing with shef utd playing against 11 men so SP can hardly be shocked

dongonzalos

Super as usual!!!!!

Clive most people disagree with his opinion Eakin
Supported by R most people disagree with his opinion FC

3e7b8ccc581fca2661254c0202a0d5a9.jpg

Noggin

Fair enough, but you can't look back and ignore the red card and 2-0 lead.

Would we have been happy with a 2-1 loss at Scunthorpe before Reda's sending off? No, but the fact we played most of the game with 10 made defeat almost inevitable. Relegation zone Burnley managed to pull out a late equaliser away at runaway league leaders Chelsea, and chelsea had only been down to 10 men for 20 mins.

11v11 before it kicked off yes 2-2 is a good result, but we played against 10 men for 70+ mins and were 2-0 up.

Indeed, the same type of people who want to ignore the circumstances one day, only want to talk about the circumstances on another day. If we'd scored 1 goal more in 3 games we'd be in x place, if the ref had given that penalty we'd have 2 more points, if x player hadn't sliped we'd probably have won, how about we just judge on what actually happened.

While his point is correct that if you ignore the circumstances its a decent result (though home draws are not likely to be enough to keep us up), that point is stupid, why would you ignore the circumstances?

dongonzalos

Everyone would but they are not the circumstances people now base their judgement on.
Before the match its 11-11 for 90 minutes.

11 verses 10 with a 2-0 lead for 10 minutes is an entirely different scenarios and that is the one people's current opinions are based on. what actually happened not what u thought beforehand.

Samo

I acknowledge all of that but... Surely we have all heard of the 'would you have taken a point before the
game' question? Fans have been asking each other this question since the football league began. The whole point of the question is that it winds back to before the circumstances of the game. The whole fucking point! Yet all of a sudden that fundamental point seems to be beyond everyone on this thread.

Please see above. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

Just listened to the show on i player as I can't stand it live too much about the traffic and news. Although I don't think it was but it felt like a lot of hand picked callers and texts etc. The bloke who kept saying that he knew his family and that he had given (the only in football) 110% effort must have been Pressley's dad!

Chez78

Can't argue we Samo about the taking the point before kick off and I don't think he's disagreeing with anyone that despite taking a point before the game the nature of walking away with a point was not acceptable.

I think the question Clive should have been asking is, at the begging of the season would you of been happy with being in the relegation zone at the end of February. Once you have your answer to that I think you have the the answer to why Pressley is no longer in charge.

dongonzalos

Please see above. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Samo I did not listen to the radio show. So maybe there is something I missed.

However that question. You are talking about is normally

" in normal circumstances a point away to Sheff Utd would regarded as a great result however ........"

No one ever says "you would have took a point before hand so when you consider the full facts of the match afterwards you can't really moan "

Samo sorry son on this one you need
83c40cff38204a52678c2cc1232ddff4.jpg

Samo

Samo I did not listen to the radio show. So maybe there is something I missed.

However that question. You are talking about is normally

" in normal circumstances a point away to Sheff Utd would regarded as a great result however ........"

No one ever says "you would have took a point before hand so when you consider the full facts of the match afterwards you can't really moan "

Samo sorry son on this one you need
83c40cff38204a52678c2cc1232ddff4.jpg

Oh Christ on a bike! I repeat; would you or would you not have taken a point before the game? No buts, no ifs. Its a simple question and there seems to be some kind of communal retardation going on tonight, but please... Yes or no?

dongonzalos

Oh Christ on a bike! I repeat; would you or would you not have taken a point before the game? No buts, no ifs. Its a simple question and there seems to be some kind of communal retardation going on tonight, but please... Yes or no?

There was more to that photo that you need to appreciate

Point away to sheff utd in current circumstances good result
Point away to them when you have an extra man for 80 minutes -a tad embarrassing

Not ifs no buts just the facts of life. If you are defending for or against SP's sacking on the basis of this result you cannot in any way or form ignore the circumstances of the result.

If you do that our next manager will be
Ronny Delia

Grendel

Answer: yes

Answer to Don - vs bury at home - no

Samo

There was more to that photo that you need to appreciate

Point away to sheff utd in current circumstances good result
Point away to them when you have an extra man for 80 minutes -a tad embarrassing

Not ifs no buts just the facts of life. If you are defending for or against SP's sacking on the basis of this result you cannot in any way or form ignore the circumstances of the result.

If you do that our next manager will be
Ronny Delia

Woooooosh!

dongonzalos

Woooooosh!

Boomerang whoosh
lots of people disagree with Eakin you agree.
I would take a draw with MK dons tomorrow. (No question)

However .........

If we are 3-0 up with 5 minutes to go and McFarland brings off our new red barron (having scored a hatrick) for Finch who goes onto to score three own goals and we draw. If a radio host in his argument that McFarland got a good result says prior to the match you would have took a draw.)
I would still say that's not the point
McFarland screwed up.

The woooosh is is on you my friend
People know what you and Eakin are saying they also know it is not correct so no woooosh needed sorry. (The exaggeration in the example is needed because you don't get the real life version )

Eakin is using it to say it is a good result and SP should not be sacked.

It was before the match. However in the real land as oppose to fortune teller land ( ie what decisions are based on)

It was not

Users who are viewing this thread