hoffman to meet CCFC board (1 Viewer)

Maybe so, but there,s no excuse for it on either side. I thought rich's post was well out of order and yet again shows the divide between fans which the whole SOC thing has widened rather than bringing us all together.

The post was unhelpful and unnecessary and was nothing more than an attempt to create more "them and us" divisions.

I refer you to CCFC's post.

We're all passionate about City. I don't think any of us intend to create divisions amongst the fans. We all just want what we think is best for our club.

ajsccfc

I don't think anyone has or is doubting Jan's attitude, particularly as he distanced himself and the SOC group from anyone criticising other fans who choose not to take part.

BurbageSkyBlues

guys, instead of arguing about semantics, over who supports the City most, can we discuss the topic of the thread, please? :p

we are all skyblues - stand together, not apart !! everyone has their opinions, this is a forum after all, but many of the threads are being worn down by the same old argument, it is getting tedious to read through many, sorry.....:slap::D

back to the topic.....

my view is that SISU are making the noises they feel they have to, being cautious about what they say, so that it avoids making any committment. Suggesting that they will consider it, but remain focussed on running the club. Other keywords, noted by previous posters - 'investment' rather than takeover/selling. All part of the positioning for negotiations.

As Godiva said, ultimately, both sides will have to compromise, and it may result in a bi-lateral ownership/governance at the club....not ideal for us, but if SISU can be moved away from laying claim to any investment funds, whilst the club and team rebuilds itself, their debt can be regarded as 'sleeping', rather than one that has to be repaid immediately. That will free the invetsment funds for the team, and for the development of revenue streams which can support our compliance with the upcoming financial rules. We have to operate within our budget, and that is almost impossible if we are to repay £30M in the short term. SISU have to try to protect their investment, it could be pension funds for all we know?

It is doubtful that there will be a conclusion within weeks, maybe months, as they get into the finer detail of how they can operate together and/or agree terms for sorting things out in the longer term, to cover situations where it has not worked out as planned, etc. Let's just hope they can all behave professionally, and we can focus on the team on the pitch....:D

PUSB

torchomatic

I'm sorry to say I disagree. Read the posts by valiant and Rich and then maybe you will reconsider. They certainly do want to cause friction. I have the up most respect for Jan, Brinner and SOc but none at all for those who attack fans for attending matches and supporting their team.

It is fans like those two who seem to thrive on the friction it causes.

I refer you to CCFC's post.

We're all passionate about City. I don't think any of us intend to create divisions amongst the fans. We all just want what we think is best for our club.

Skybluedar

The rumour mill is doing overtime chaps. Does anyone on here believe the one about Onye being replaced on the board by Joy Sapalla? If this one turns out to be true she may have ousted Igwe from his current role due to the debacle that happend last time their was an offer on the table to buy the club. Supposition it may be but may be but if the head honcho is now involved to oversea negotiations this time, this may be the end game for SISU (however long it takes)

Certainly what I was thinking, I think that this is no coincidence. If she is getting involved now, it must be time for them to start getting serious about where their "investment" in CCFC went and how best to act in their best interest (as that of the club is not their concern it seems).

I for one think that Hoffman will want them out of there and any agreements over them recouping monies with certain conditions will most likely remain in place even though they have departed. I don't see why they would need/desire spending any further cash than the £30m that they have squandered if they can cut a deal, get out and agree as a condition that they get X amount for promotion to PL with X number of years.

Regardless I have decided to remain committed to CCFC regardless of what happens and focus on the club battling to stay up and if a takeover happens in the meantime then great. Once we don't have HMRC banging down our doors for the moment we ok. SISU want out so it will be either now or within the next 6 months, either way I can't see a takeover concluding in time for GH to start bringing in signings.

Paxman II

Word from my sparse resources are saying Hoffman and co were at the Ricoh offices last week from 7am till 10pm on one occasion alone thrashing out the semantics of it all.

Now if true then the announcement has actually got more meat on the bones than we already dared to think?
It would suggest a little bit more has been going on already and the announcement is merely made before the media and co get hold of it.

torchomatic

God, I hope so Pax.

Grendel

No. Their apathy is inexcusable.

Possibly should've saved it for another thread though.

Come on Hoff!

Your definition of apathy is my definition of support. I don't see why you have to be so aggressive. You seem to think fans who just support the club are not good enough.

Looking at the schoolboy nonsense you indulge in I would guess on the scale of protestor you are more tooting popular front than tolpuddle martyr.

Last edited by a moderator:

ajsccfc

Now if true then the announcement has actually got more meat on the bones than we already dared to think?

That there is even an announcement to begin with seems encouraging on its own, so it could be the case. Aside from Ken rubbishing the previous bid, am I right in thinking the official site didn't have a statement of this kind first time round?

keef

With the financial situation as dire as it is and the prospect of relegation looming what choice do SISU have but to negotiate an offer to walk away.
I cant see them matching any investment from GHs investors which would surely be a minimum to form some kind of collective body. I think the deal will come down to what compensation GH is willing to offer for SISU to recover some of the outstanding debt. Hoffman has the upper hand, SISU own very little of value now they have stripped the club bare and are faced with mounting debts as the club continues to hemorrhage cash. If Joy Sappala has felt the need to step in and manage the ongoing issues with the club things must be dire at SISUs end

AFCCOVENTRY

If Hoffman takes over it will now be in time for next season. Hopefully a full pre season with the cash in hand for players regardless of the division we are in.

No takeover will be complete in the next month or so.

Sub

If Hoffman takes over it will now be in time for next season. Hopefully a full pre season with the cash in hand for players regardless of the division we are in.

thanks for that iggy ;););) look forward to hearing what you have to say in london on thursday :p:p:p:p;);)

Sub

intresting read :D

The recent past hasn’t been the easiest of times for the fans of Coventry City, four managers have been and gone in the four years under the ownership of the Ray Ranson led SISU group and terminal decline has set in. The club now lies bottom of the league under the much maligned Andy Thorn, a Thorn in the side of many supporters (I’m sorry), and blighted by financial trouble.
The club has attracted a storm of disillusionment with its supporters who have protested tirelessly for the removal of SISU, the London based investment company, and led mass-protests back in Auugust and the general feeling since then, as Thorn has led them to just four wins since then, is one of such endearing sentiments as “Thorn out” and F**k SISU”.
However, this could all be about to change as Gary Hoffman, who used to be a Vice-Chairman on Ranson’s board, has returned better than ever and ready to talk business after his last takeover attempt ended sourer than the chicken from the local Chinese.
The fact that SISU have merely agreed to even talk again to life-long City supporter Hoffman, not to be confused with Dustin of course, is big news and even though it remains to be seen if his bid can persuade the shared-investment seeking SISU to accept a full take-over, it could provide a cloud-free future for the Sky Blues. Excuse the pun.
Hoffman’s first approach earlier in the season was understood to be worth above a neat little sum of £30million and if that wasn’t enough, £10m set aside for investment in players, £10m to fund on-going losses and another £10m towards the purchase of half of the Ricoh Arena stadium.
This would be more than what Coventry have seen under the scrooge-like SISU group who have still not been visited by the three ghosts and have only allowed Thorn to loan in 37 Herman Hreidarsson and Manchester City’s youngster Alex Nimely to fight the relegation battle which is looking more and more like a mountain climb with every passing game. They have also had to see the departure of Lukas Jutkiewicz, the football writer’s dream, to Middlesbrough for £1.3 million after hitting nine goals so far this season.
With the help of Hoffman, who has made an approach to begin preliminary talks over a possible investment, they may be able to buy players of their own rather than beg, steal and borrow. Rather than all the antipathy, there could slow be brighter skies above the Ricoh rather than the blue air from “f**k SISU” and all the anti-ownership banners that have blackened this well-reputed club.

keef

That makes it in Hoffmans interest to drag the negotiations out for longer. Let SISU keep paying the debt for as long as possible pushing them closer to the brink. If SISU were smart they would have sat down in December using the transfer window as a carrot to the takeover. If we are still losing 500k a month SISU stand to lose another 3 mil before the end of the season.
Hoff is unlikely to pay their debts in full he may give them say 25p in the pound if hes generous so any further debt accrued is just lost money.
SISU should be desperate to offload the club by now, i dont really get what they are hoping to achieve other than praying that a cov fan scoops a massive euro jackpot and is to eager and foolish to negotiate properly for the club.

@richh87

I'm sorry to say I disagree. Read the posts by valiant and Rich and then maybe you will reconsider. They certainly do want to cause friction. I have the up most respect for Jan, Brinner and SOc but none at all for those who attack fans for attending matches and supporting their team.

It is fans like those two who seem to thrive on the friction it causes.

I'd like to point out that in no way do I represent the views of SOC - who are doing a fantastic job of showing SISU that City supporters won't just quietly allow our club to be dragged down the leagues with not so much as a whimper.

I don't understand this "all the City fans need to have exactly the same views and give each other friendship bracelets to wear" rubbish.

I'm sorry but it is wrong not to put up a fight - there's no 2 ways about it. This is the club we love.

My point was that it was a major 'reason' for people not joining the protests. Well now that reason has gone.

In fact, with discussions now ongoing, now is the time to pile on the pressure.

J

Jack Griffin

My take is...

1) They are talking about a transition process
2) Hoffmans backers to replace SISU, but SISU want their money back before they will leave
3) The Council will negotiate with Hoffman over the Stadium, but they won't speak to SISU

I've a feeling this will end up with SISU managing the club till it is promoted from league one, but Hoffmans guys buying out Brody in the first instance and putting sufficient money in to get promotion next year.

Well from what I've read from other posts it looks like I was well wide of the mark and a full Hoff in/SISU out style takeover is close to being agreed, I just hope that the end result isn't that the club carries even more debt into next year.

I still don't believe SISU are going to walk carrying a big loss.. they'll want a guaranteed payback.. maybe over an extended period

Paxman II

intresting read :D

The recent past hasn’t been the easiest of times for the fans of Coventry City, four managers have been and gone in the four years under the ownership of the Ray Ranson led SISU group and terminal decline has set in. The club now lies bottom of the league under the much maligned Andy Thorn, a Thorn in the side of many supporters (I’m sorry), and blighted by financial trouble.
The club has attracted a storm of disillusionment with its supporters who have protested tirelessly for the removal of SISU, the London based investment company, and led mass-protests back in Auugust and the general feeling since then, as Thorn has led them to just four wins since then, is one of such endearing sentiments as “Thorn out” and F**k SISU”.
However, this could all be about to change as Gary Hoffman, who used to be a Vice-Chairman on Ranson’s board, has returned better than ever and ready to talk business after his last takeover attempt ended sourer than the chicken from the local Chinese.
The fact that SISU have merely agreed to even talk again to life-long City supporter Hoffman, not to be confused with Dustin of course, is big news and even though it remains to be seen if his bid can persuade the shared-investment seeking SISU to accept a full take-over, it could provide a cloud-free future for the Sky Blues. Excuse the pun.
Hoffman’s first approach earlier in the season was understood to be worth above a neat little sum of £30million and if that wasn’t enough, £10m set aside for investment in players, £10m to fund on-going losses and another £10m towards the purchase of half of the Ricoh Arena stadium.
This would be more than what Coventry have seen under the scrooge-like SISU group who have still not been visited by the three ghosts and have only allowed Thorn to loan in 37 Herman Hreidarsson and Manchester City’s youngster Alex Nimely to fight the relegation battle which is looking more and more like a mountain climb with every passing game. They have also had to see the departure of Lukas Jutkiewicz, the football writer’s dream, to Middlesbrough for £1.3 million after hitting nine goals so far this season.
With the help of Hoffman, who has made an approach to begin preliminary talks over a possible investment, they may be able to buy players of their own rather than beg, steal and borrow. Rather than all the antipathy, there could slow be brighter skies above the Ricoh rather than the blue air from “f**k SISU” and all the anti-ownership banners that have blackened this well-reputed club.

I see you have been reading this forum...

BrisbaneBronco

I honestly believe these talks will fail. Hoffman will be told that SISU are looking for investors and to remain in charge.
End of, unfortunately.

mark82

I honestly believe these talks will fail. Hoffman will be told that SISU are looking for investors and to remain in charge.
End of, unfortunately.

All we can do is hope, wait & see.

I think as Sky Blues fans we tend to have an in built negativity.

Astute

So much negativity. All part of being a Cov fan I suppose :D

Try stepping back from your ingrained thoughts on the matter.

SISU said they would fund us until the end of this season. This was quite a late decision for this season. To me this is a contradiction on wanting to keep control of our club but have outside backing. They will know that nobody will be prepared to put millions into a club they do not own.

They are running out of players they can sell to keep us going. Investment will be needed. They are not prepared to invest any more money.

It is on the offal that they have started discussions on the future of our club. How many think this would be done if discussions had just started? They must know that funding is in place. They must know what the takeover group are after, and if it is a full takeover then happy if the price is right. This is what SISU said they did not listen to Hoffmans investors for last time.

A full takeover does not mean SISU being paid off fully before they go. This could mean any loans being kept on at the same rates as they are on the books now. This will be one of the stumbling blocks. Could they be paid off at a percentage per year, then fully when we reach the Prem? So many multiples of this that we might as well stop guessing now :thinking about:

For the last couple of seasons their income from us has gone down. If we go down then this would be a disaster for them. They will know this. Are they willing to take the gamble on us staying up and then getting promotion without investment? They will know it is time to cash in as many chips they can get their hands on.

Bad publicity. It is now coming from all angles. There is a chance of them getting investigated. They will not want this.

They came to us with plans of getting the stadium. They now know they will never get the Ricoh. Do they even have the funds to get it?

On to reasons for them to stay.....

They said they want investors to help them.......

We have youth players coming through they will be able to sell in the future......

They love our club :facepalm:

kingharvest

Well said astute, if people can stop letting their minds be clouded and use their brain it points towards a positive outcome.

SISU will never own the Ricoh, so what's the point if sticking around

They said they'd only fund us till the summer

They officially announced that the club are talking to hoff - preliminary talks will have been going on for a while

The longer hoff delayed the more pressure to talk - hence the constant 'only game in town' quotes coming out from keys

They wouldn't talk cause they didn't know the investors - fair enough, if hoff offered a deal which paid them money back if we made it to the prem then SISU would want to be sure the investors had the calibre to make it happen - they obviously now do.

Godiva

SISU said they would fund us until the end of this season.

Actually they said they had SECURED funding for the season. I think you have mis-quoted them on this a few times.

A full takeover does not mean SISU being paid off fully before they go. This could mean any loans being kept on at the same rates as they are on the books now. This will be one of the stumbling blocks. Could they be paid off at a percentage per year, then fully when we reach the Prem? So many multiples of this that we might as well stop guessing now.

If a full takeover results in all or parts of the loans remaining at the club, then I think it won't be at the same rate as now. Sisu will surely start charging interrests and this mean a big difference to the operational cost structure. This is one reason I don't think a full takeover will happen.

For the last couple of seasons their income from us has gone down. If we go down then this would be a disaster for them. They will know this. Are they willing to take the gamble on us staying up and then getting promotion without investment? They will know it is time to cash in as many chips they can get their hands on.

I have shown in previous posts that relegation will mean the club (whoever owns it) will have to comply with FFP regulation and cut wages to 55% of the total income. That alone will result in max yearly losses with current overheads at £1.5m. So will sisu 'find' £1.5m to get us through next season or will they write off a lot more and walk away?

They said they want investors to help them.......

I think they still do and that it is the most likely outcome.

torchomatic

I bet SOC are mightily relieved to hear that. You don't do their cause any favours with your attitude.

I'd like to point out that in no way do I represent the views of SOC

Nonsense. Now is the time to let the money men deal with it behind closed doors without any distraction.

Now is the time to support the team and help us get out of the relegation zone, that is the most important thing.

In fact, with discussions now ongoing, now is the time to pile on the pressure.

Astute

Actually they said they had SECURED funding for the season. I think you have mis-quoted them on this a few times.

If a full takeover results in all or parts of the loans remaining at the club, then I think it won't be at the same rate as now. Sisu will surely start charging interrests and this mean a big difference to the operational cost structure. This is one reason I don't think a full takeover will happen.

I have shown in previous posts that relegation will mean the club (whoever owns it) will have to comply with FFP regulation and cut wages to 55% of the total income. That alone will result in max yearly losses with current overheads at £1.5m. So will sisu 'find' £1.5m to get us through next season or will they write off a lot more and walk away?

I think they still do and that it is the most likely outcome.

So they have secured funding for another season. So does this mean they are not funding us for another season? Can you tell me who is funding us then if it is not SISU.

The negotiations will be mainly about how much is owed to who, how it will be paid back, by who and at what rates. I also used the word "could be" You do not know much about this. I do not know much about this. Is there anyone on here that knows much about this? This is why the negotiations will not happen overnight.

Anyone can show in previous posts what anyone thinks. You say that SISU are not funding us now, although they have secured funding for this season :thinking about:. Then you say they will fund us for about 1.5m if we go down. Sorry to say but there are contradictions here.

Finally, wanting to keep hold of the club and finding investors willing to put money into our club when they will never own it is a bit of a longshot. Does it mean what they say is what they mean? How many things have they said they would do and they have kept to? How many things have they said and not kept to? And you still believe what they say :whistle:

Last edited:

Godiva

So they have secured funding for another season. So does this mean they are not funding us for another season? Can you tell me who is funding us then if it is not SISU.

The negotiations will be mainly about how much is owed to who, how it will be paid back, by who and at what rates. I also used the word "could be" You do not know much about this. I do not know much about this. Is there anyone on here that knows much about this? This is why the negotiations will not happen overnight.

Anyone can show in previous posts what anyone thinks. You say that SISU are not funding us now, although they have secured funding for this season :thinking about:. Then you say they will fund us for about 1.5m if we go down. Sorry to say but there are contradictions here.

Finally, wanting to keep hold of the club and finding investors willing to put money into our club when they will never own it is a bit of a longshot. Does it mean what they say is what they mean? How many things have they said they would do and they have kept to? How many things have they said and not kept to? And you still believe what they say :whistle:

They said last summer that they had secured funding for this season. At that time there were lots of rumors that the club was on the brink of entering administration, and we should see their statement in that light.

I don't see evidence that sisu are pumping more money into the club. It looks more likely that they use money from player sales to control the cash flow deficit.

If they need another £1.5m or even £2.0m to run the club next season in league 1, then they should be able to find that cash from selling Cranie, Clingan, Keogh and/or Thomas, Bigi, Christie, Clarke or whoever it will take to raise the money (if they are smart, they will use THIS window to find that cash as the players value will be less in league 1). To sisu, selling players to negate the cash flow deficit is a far more desireable solution than to take a massive hit on the loans and walk away.

DazzleTommyDazzle

If they need another £1.5m or even £2.0m to run the club next season in league 1, then they should be able to find that cash from selling Cranie, Clingan, Keogh and/or Thomas, Bigi, Christie, Clarke or whoever it will take to raise the money (if they are smart, they will use THIS window to find that cash as the players value will be less in league 1). To sisu, selling players to negate the cash flow deficit is a far more desireable solution than to take a massive hit on the loans and walk away.

What you say makes sense - in the short term.

SISU accept relegation, sell pretty much anyone they can get a fee for and so then cover a large part of the lost Championship revenue for the 2012/12 season.

What I don't understand is what comes next.

We have the cash to see us through a year in League One, but the squad has been taken apart.

If we're lucky, we stabilise in League One. How does the SISU master strategy roll out from there?

At this point, they own a League One club, with a (perhaps optimistically) League One team and of course still no ground. Losses may possibly be controlled if the wage bill has been cut far enough, but revenue will be massively down on the business they bought some years back.

I really don't see how they expect to get any reasonable proportion of their loans back in this scenario.

If this is their plan, then the best way to sum it up would seem to be "keep cutting costs and hope something turns up".

There isn't anyone called Wilkins Micawber on the SISU Board is there?

Moff

I bet SOC are mightily relieved to hear that. You don't do their cause any favours with your attitude.

Nonsense. Now is the time to let the money men deal with it behind closed doors without any distraction.

Now is the time to support the team and help us get out of the relegation zone, that is the most important thing.

As much as I respect the views of my fellow posters, and of you both, Torchy and Rich, I do believe this is a thread on Hoffman meeting the CCFC board, and not Torchy and Rich bitch at each other post.

Why not open a Bitch at each other thread, rant at each other in PM's, get a room, or agree to disagree so we can all stick to the main subject instead?

Only a sugestion, but if you disgaree lets open a thread on that :laugh:

Godiva

Tommy,

One thing is what anyone (in this case sisu) hope and work for, but it's not always you get what you want.
Sisu have been actively looking for co-investors the last year (maybe longer), but haven't succeded.
As long as they don't get co-investment - or better yet, a complete buyout - then they are stuck to one option: Get the books balanced.
When the club is self-sustainable the value goes up AND new investors gets much more interested.
And even in league 1 the club will be much more attractive to investors if run at a profit than today in the Championship losing money consistently every year.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Tommy,

One thing is what anyone (in this case sisu) hope and work for, but it's not always you get what you want.
Sisu have been actively looking for co-investors the last year (maybe longer), but haven't succeded.
As long as they don't get co-investment - or better yet, a complete buyout - then they are stuck to one option: Get the books balanced.
When the club is self-sustainable the value goes up AND new investors gets much more interested.
And even in league 1 the club will be much more attractive to investors if run at a profit than today in the Championship losing money consistently every year.

I've never really understood what SISU were offering to co-investors.

By anyones' standards they haven't made a success of turning the business around, they've alienated (many of) the supporters and it appears that they've been told that they can forget owning the Ricoh. Getting someone to then come and invest millions while you continue to run (or presumably, be at least heavilly involved in) the business is a pretty tough sell.

As for the "break-even/loss - Championship/League One" debate, I think that's arguable.

Massive losses are certainly not attractive to investors, but I think we'd all accept that the only real money lies in the Premiership and League One is a lot further away from it. I'd guess that there are a few clubs in Leagues One and Two that are breaking even, but I haven't noticed investors fighting to get hold of them.

Anyway, the main point of my original post was that I couldn't understand how SISU could see that their (presumed) strategy would allow them to get a reasonable proportion of their loans back.

If we believe that they really expect to see some return on it, this theoretical self sustainable club in League One is going to have to look very attractive to someone if they're going to pay £xm (or even £xxm) to take it off SISU's hands.

Not sure that I can see it.

Sub

Capital Markets

Sisu Capital Limited
SnapshotPeople

Company Overview

Sisu Capital Limited is a privately owned hedge fund sponsor. The firm invests in the pubic equity, fixed income, and alternative investment markets of Europe with a focus on United Kingdom. It makes event driven investments in high yield and distressed debt securities for the restructuring of industrial companies. Sisu Capital was founded in 1997 and is based in London, United Kingdom.
11-12 Hanover Street
London, W1S 1YQ
United Kingdom
Founded in 1997

Key Executives
Ms. Joy Victoria Seppala
Founder
Mr. Dermot John Coleman
Founder

Mr. Hugh Samuel
Analyst

Compensation as of Fiscal Year 2011.

Recent Private Companies Transactions

Type
DateTargetMerger/Acquisition
June 28, 2011 Coventry City Football Club

and this :thinking about::thinking about:
http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=24225471

Last edited:
J

Jack Griffin

while browsing the net found this list of people wonder if they have anything to do with the investors in CCFC seems to be a couple of names that are familiar;)
http://investing.businessweek.com/r...d=24225471&previousTitle=Sisu Capital Limited

also this list

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=39509503

The bloomberg thing seems to be out of date, the business week reference is more currrent, I found that some time ago & since I did thought Jon Huntsman and the Huntsman family might well be the main SISU investors, Seppala seems to be involved with them. I have no more to go on than what I can Google, but you must agree it seems plausible.

PS Jon Huntsman Jr. recently stood down from his attempt to get the Republican Party Presidential nomination, Jon Huntsman Sr. is a trustee & benefactor of Penn State University, whose pension fund have been mentioned on this forum as being investors in CCFC.

Sub

Recent Private Companies Transactions

Type
DateTargetMerger/Acquisition
June 28, 2011 Coventry City Football Club

it says that sisu aquired CCFC in june 2011 although they owned us in december 2007:thinking about::thinking about::thinking about:also noel hand deals with selling and merging of businesses:thinking about:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I suppose someone has to ask and it might as well be me ............. what is pubic equity ? :D:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread