Hilßner debut? (1 Viewer)

Skybluebeliever

Nope, not an unknown
I can’t see how anyone can knock our recruitment , we sometimes have to gamble on players which will come off and sometimes they will not , we can all do lists of players in both camps but we have unearthed some good players

Brighton Sky Blue

Regardless of where he ultimately ends up I do feel quite sorry for him. Bit of a risk for him to come over to try English football, has tried settling and had a surprise medical issue out of the blue so not even had an opportunity for adoring fans to write him off in a league game.

Brighton Sky Blue

I can’t see how anyone can knock our recruitment , we sometimes have to gamble on players which will come off and sometimes they will not , we can all do lists of players in both camps but we have unearthed some good players

Think for players like Hilssner the risk is bigger for the player than us. I do think Da Costa can be developed though at least

D

Deleted member 11652

Not knocking it on the whole, it was just obvious that those two signings wouldn’t work. I’m hoping they were low risk

Brighton Sky Blue

MR clearly wants to look at da costa bringing him on in games and playing Saturday , he had a bad injury and has still been brought straight into the squad

He looks a bit naive on the pitch but can see something in him that's worth persisting with. Hilssner we've actually paid a fee for on top of the contract

KenilworthSkyBlue

He looks a bit naive on the pitch but can see something in him that's worth persisting with. Hilssner we've actually paid a fee for on top of the contract

The club's policy regarding oversees players has been a bit bizarre over the previous couple of years. Why the insistence on giving out 3 year contracts? Seems strange that none have been on 2 year contracts with an option of a further year in our favour. Would at least mitigate the risk factor more.

Brighton Sky Blue

The club's policy regarding oversees players has been nothing short of bizarre over the previous couple of years. Why the insistence on giving out 3 year contracts? Seems strange that none have been on 2 year contracts with an option of a further year in our favour for such players.

Particularly when the latter deal looked to be our new way of signing players like that, rather than 3 year contracts straight off the bat. I can only think it's because the player wants the security if he's going to move abroad. Don't really want to think how much we've already paid Kasta

D

Deleted member 11652

How was it obvious ? Because of previous injuries or lack of academy pedigree

Injuries, level they had played at previously, reports from fans of their previous clubs. Kastaneer I guess was younger so maybe they hoped for improvement.

PVA

Not knocking it on the whole, it was just obvious that those two signings wouldn’t work. I’m hoping they were low risk

How was it obvious when you had never seen them play?

Sorry but what an absurd comment.

By your criteria Leicester should never have signed Mahrez as he only ever played in the lower French leagues so it should have been obvious he would never be good enough...

KenilworthSkyBlue

Particularly when the latter deal looked to be our new way of signing players like that, rather than 3 year contracts straight off the bat. I can only think it's because the player wants the security if he's going to move abroad. Don't really want to think how much we've already paid Kasta

I'd understand if these players were European prodigies with clubs lining up for their signature but the fact that the likes of Kasta, Jobello and Hilsner are dictating contract terms seems a bit bizarre.

Most players in their position would surely jump at the chance to play in England, especially at a respectable level. So, personally I don't see why the 2 year contract with the option of a further year would be such a significant stumbling block in contract negotiations. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though and not much can be done about it now - especially as it's looking unlikely we'll be signing players from the lower European leagues for some time.

I just find it odd how they didn't change their approach after Kasta. (thought it would be unfair to put Jobello in the same category).

D

Deleted member 11652

How was it obvious when you had never seen them play?

Sorry but what an absurd comment.

By your criteria Leicester should never have signed Mahrez as he only ever played in the lower French leagues so it should have been obvious he would never be good enough...

Mahrez didn’t have all the fans of his previous clubs laughing their tits off when leicester signed him.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'd understand if these players were European prodigies with clubs lining up for their signature but the fact that the likes of Kasta, Jobello and Hilsner are dictating contract terms seems a bit bizarre.

Most players in their position would surely jump at the chance to play in England, especially at a respectable level. So, personally I don't see why the 2 year contract with the option of a further year would be such a significant stumbling block in contract negotiations. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though and not much can be done about it now - especially as it's looking unlikely we'll be signing players from the lower European leagues for some time.

I just find it odd how they didn't change their approach after Kasta. (thought it would be unfair to put Jobello in the same category).

I don't know why but just the mention of Kasta now is enough to send me into fits of laughter.

Hobo

Welcoming Hilßner, Coventry City manager Mark Robins said, “We’re pleased to welcome Marcel to the club,” and that “Marcel adds another exciting attacking option to our squad and is someone we’re looking forward to working with.”.

"Attacking options to squad...looking forward to working with."....that sounds like one for the future maybe and was a long way from being a pivotal signing.

Grendel

Hamer is the only overseas players who has delivered and he is the most expensive player signed in 13 years

Hobo

Well in Hilssner's case he came through Bremen's academy but spent his career almost entirely in the German third tier and had done his cruciate. On that evidence a 3 year contract is hard to understand

Not if they realise he will take time to develop? And if he came relatively cheaply tbey have him cheap potentially for 3 years.

Grendel

Welcoming Hilßner, Coventry City manager Mark Robins said, “We’re pleased to welcome Marcel to the club,” and that “Marcel adds another exciting attacking option to our squad and is someone we’re looking forward to working with.”.

"Attacking options to squad...looking forward to working with."....that sounds like one for the future maybe and was a long way from being a pivotal signing.

What for balance did they say about Kastaneer? A championship level player we can’t believe we’ve got wasn’t it?

Hobo

Hamer is the only overseas players who has delivered and he is the most expensive player signed in 13 years
Have have hardly paid any money for most players in 13 years that is why.

Grendel

Have have hardly paid any money for most players in 13 years that is why.

No it isn’t that’s nonsense

Brighton Sky Blue

Not if they realise he will take time to develop? And if he came relatively cheaply tbey have him cheap potentially for 3 years.

Which you can easily do with 2 years plus a one year clause in the club's favour. Done that with other players brought in for the longer term

Brighton Sky Blue

What for balance did they say about Kastaneer? A championship level player we can’t believe we’ve got wasn’t it?

After he's been here Robins has to be fair praised Hilssner and shown some sympathy to him. Leads me to think he isn't going permanently just yet.

shmmeee

It might be with his initial health issue he has just struggled to settle. Moving away from home for first time isnt easy. Moving to another country and working is even more difficult - even for experienced adults.

It is not always purely down to abilitty why a move doesnt work out. I would say you need to give a foreign player
at least 12 months to settle in before you start to judge. Lockdown must have made it even more difficult.

Too many on here have a very narrow view of what it takes to be a successful footballer and how to develop young players. In fact they just expose their own inexperience of life and of developing people.

You mean you don’t develop people by screaming at them how shit they are and that they’ll never make it then colouring in their testicles with boot polish?

Users who are viewing this thread