Higgs vs CCFC Court Row (2 Viewers)

lordsummerisle

That idea may have saved us from relegation though!

Dongle would have ended up homeless though, after having to sell his house to pay the mobile phone bill of £250,000 he had managed to rack up from text messages that just said "Cody Mcdonald".

James Smith

lordsummerisle said:
And should a charity apparently dedicated to the disadvantaged children of the Coventry Area be bailing out a club that had massively overspent?
It's not just dedicated to disavantaged children though is it, it's something like to benefit the people of Coventry and the environs. Now obviously that will include the disadvantaged children but it isn't limited to them and could include our club. The Higgs (family not the charity) were always big supporters of the Club so hardly surprising that they wanted to help us out. The exact wording of what the charity supports can be found in the accounts (available on the Charity Commission website,) my phone has lost the last accounts that I downloaded so I can't check at the mo.
Okay so the objectives of the charity are:

A. Such charitable purposes as the trustees may select which shall benefit wholly or mainly the inhabitants of the area within 25miles of the centre of Coventry.

B. The charity fund shall be applied as far as is practicable in the promotion of child welfare and particularly the welfare of underprivileged children.

C. The trustees of the charity may cooperate with or contribute to any other charity having objects substantially similar to the objects of the charity.
http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends67/0000509367_ac_20110405_e_c.pdf

Noggin

And should a charity apparently dedicated to the disadvantaged children of the Coventry Area be bailing out a club that had massively overspent?

depends what you mean by bail out the way you phrase it the answer would be no, but the charity were helping out massively something extremely important to the city on a temporary basis with a plan in place that had very little risk whatsoever, it shouldn't have done any harm at all to their actual mission and should have had massive benefits so yeah helping seems good and fair.

James Smith

I'd have thought allowing children to watch CCFC is the very antithesis of child welfare!

You could be right although I'd probably say "forcing children to watch CCFC (especially in Northampton) is the very antithesis of child welfare!" ;)

Moff

A bit of topic, but the higgs charity have bought Browns bar, i might actually be allowed in .

Sorry I had a quiet word with the door staff and your still barred ;)

Apparently its changing name so will no longer be Browns.

Not wanting to open a hornets nest but how does owning a bar fit in with the ethos of being a charity to help local children? I am sure it is part of a well planned business strategy but just wondered what it was.

Moff

Isn't it something to do with it being the history of coventry or something?

You mean its to do with the wider development of the area? I now seem to recall they have purchased one of the historic buildings on Bailey Lane and are doing that up as part of the development.

J

Jack Griffin

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-city-centres-browns-bar-6428089
Browns bar sold to the Alan Edward Higgs charity

Dec 19, 2013 06:45
By Simon Gilbert

Higgs Trust says jobs are safe as it looks to relaunch pub in April 2014

One of Coventry city centre’s best known bars will be taken over by new owners today.

Browns, based in Earl Street, has been sold to the Alan Edward Higgs charity.

The purchase of the family-run business comes just weeks after it was announced the charity would be taking over nearby Draper’s Hall with a view to transforming it into a centre for performance and music.

The landmark building was opened by city businessman Ken Brown 16 years ago after moving from Browns’ original premises in Lower Precinct.

Peter Knatchbull-Hugessen, clerk of the Higgs Trust, confirmed all jobs at the bar would be safe and said it would be business as usual in the immediate future– but a relaunch was planned by April 2014.

He said: “There will be very little change in the immediate future, we will be trading just in the same way.

“We have a lot of customers and people who have been customers in the past and we want to see what they want and what there feelings about the venue are.

“We do not want to rush in to too many changes, what we need to do is go gently and softly.

“It is a well known landmark and it won’t become a Wetherspoons or a Yates’s or anything like that.”

Mr Knatchbull-Hugessen also indicated plans for the pub would aim to fit in with Coventry City Council’s multi-million pound redevelopment of the city centre.

“We want to help reinvigorate the city centre,” he said.

“The city council is spending a lot of money around the Council House and around Friargate and it needs to be animated to draw people in and that is what we mean to do.

“The charity is committed to Coventry and the economic regeneration, growth and wellbeing of the city.

“That is what the people of Coventry, need, want and have to have.”

Bar ownership represents a new challenge for the charity which has also invested in the Ricoh Arena and the Alan Higgs sports centre.

Mr Knatchbull-Hugessen said: “Whenever we do new things like this we take professional advice.

“We can make money to be invested in other city projects while also increasing employment and skills.”

The bar has sometimes courted controversy with its door policy. In 2012 it made national headlines after mourners attending a soldier’s funeral were turned away.

wingy

While the Rumour thread taken from GMK Is without proof and most unlikely ,the mention in that thread of Compass sources predicting something around FEB..

Is It possible there Is some Inter ACL activity Involving the Higgs element .

Would the finance mentioned In the ventures above suggest,Higgs has come Into some funds or simply regular activity from there Chest??

Grendel

Rumours are that PWKH is doing the re-opening and pulling pints on the first day.

Theory is there will be enough SBT members desperate to meet their hero that it will keep the place in business for a year.

wingy

Rumours are that PWKH is doing the re-opening and pulling pints on the first day.

Theory is there will be enough SBT members desperate to meet their hero that it will keep the place in business for a year.

You're not curious enough to dispel or consider the possibility then or give a genuine knockbck?

dongonzalos

While the Rumour thread taken from GMK Is without proof and most unlikely ,the mention in that thread of Compass sources predicting something around FEB..

Is It possible there Is some Inter ACL activity Involving the Higgs element .

Would the finance mentioned In the ventures above suggest,Higgs has come Into some funds or simply regular activity from there Chest??

Wingy what do you mean by this?

wingy

Wingy what do you mean by this?

i'm just curious that someone On GMK has suggested hearing something from the Compass end re something supposed to be signed and sealed Feb,so wonder If they've expanded their stake with an Injection .

They took 25% of IEC another facet of ACL previously to fund the hotel expansion ETC for £4M. Higgs are now doing other ventures .

Just thinking out loud 2+2 =5 :confused:

James Smith

I haven't seen it before but apparently the Higgs have a website now http://www.higgscharity.org.uk/ still grateful to them for building our Cat 2 Academy facilities.

dongonzalos

i'm just curious that someone On GMK has suggested hearing something from the Compass end re something supposed to be signed and sealed Feb,so wonder If they've expanded their stake with an Injection .

They took 25% of IEC another facet of ACL previously to fund the hotel expansion ETC for £4M. Higgs are now doing other ventures .

Just thinking out loud 2+2 =5 :confused:

Ok I get you.

They are big enough to risk it.

Warwickhunt

Shall be watching the outcome with intrepidation! if its found in SISU favour that Higgs were partly responsible for Engineering for the breakdown in talks you will see some CCC people heading for the hills

thaiskyblue

Shall be watching the outcome with intrepidation! if its found in SISU favour that Higgs were partly responsible for Engineering for the breakdown in talks you will see some CCC people heading for the hills
it should be sisu heading for the hills never to be seen again. ( one can but hope ).

James Smith

Just a thought but could the Sisu paranoia about PWKH have a hand in all this? We know that they're concerned about him being able to post with a second username on here because of MMM getting contact from the lawyers. So could the fact that he represents the Higgs as well as being on the board of and spokesperson of ACL have something to do with it. Along of course with what OSB58 said.

Nick

Administrator
Just a thought but could the Sisu paranoia about PWKH have a hand in all this? We know that they're concerned about him being able to post with a second username on here because of MMM getting contact from the lawyers. So could the fact that he represents the Higgs as well as being on the board of and spokesperson of ACL have something to do with it. Along of course with what OSB58 said.

Nobody has ever contacted me about PWKH or MMM though? Surely before making allegations they should at least confirm.

Users who are viewing this thread