Head to Head: 2011/2012 team v 2012/2013 team (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

Do you think our team now is better this season or the last?

2011/2012 (how I'd play it):

-----------------------Murphy-------------------------
--Clarke*------Keogh-----Cranie-----Hussey--
------------------------Clingan----------------------
--------------Bigi----------------Norwood---------
-----------------------McSheff----------------------
-------------Cody----------------Nimely-----------

Manager: Thorn

2012/2013 (how I'd play it):

---------------------Murphy-----------------------
--Christie-----Wood-----Edj-----Adams--
-----------Bailey----------Jennings---------
---Baker--------Barton--------Moussa---
---------------McGoldrick----------------

Manager: Mark Robins

To break it down:

Defence: 2011/2012 defence wins, Keogh was is better than Wood and Edj, I didn't rate Cranie that highly I think Wood is better than him, Wood scores more. Adams is better than Hussey, but we have the same RB as last season.

Midfield: close, Bigi and Norwood were class, McSheffrey got a few goals, and Clingan wasn't that good. I think this seasons midfield has more balance, Jennings is a better holding mid than Clingan, Bigi was a teen and will be better (a lot, lot better than Bailey) but I feel Bailey edges it because he has contributed a lot in assists and defending, Barton is good gets assists, scored 2 great goals, 1 good goal, Moussa adds class down the wing and Baker is rejuvenated under MR, good at dribbling and scores goals. My edge goes to this season's midfield because we have more balance, this was hard though as Norwood, Thomas and Bigi are 3 great players with potential but experience and balance wins it for me.

Striker: I don't need to justify why tis season's striker is better than last season's McG will probably score more than all our strikers goals put to together by the time he goes back to Forest, hopefully coming back to us.

Squad: we were barebones last season, this season we have competition for most positions, furthermore, I think we have real strength in depth this year. Edge: 2012/2013

Manager: AT gets smacked by MR.

Discuss :D

pusbccfc

You should have a Championship v League One

dongonzalos

Do you think our team now is better this season or the last?

2011/2012 (how I'd play it):

-----------------------Murphy-------------------------
--Clarke*------Keogh-----Cranie-----Hussey--
------------------------Clingan----------------------
--------------Bigi----------------Norwood---------
-----------------------McSheff----------------------
-------------Cody----------------Nimely-----------

Manager: Thorn

2012/2013 (how I'd play it):

---------------------Murphy-----------------------
--Christie-----Wood-----Edj-----Adams--
-----------Bailey----------Jennings---------
---Baker--------Barton--------Moussa---
---------------McGoldrick----------------

Manager: Mark Robins

To break it down:

Defence: 2011/2012 defence wins, Keogh was is better than Wood and Edj, I didn't rate Cranie that highly I think Wood is better than him, Wood scores more. Adams is better than Hussey, but we have the same RB as last season.

Midfield: close, Bigi and Norwood were class, McSheffrey got a few goals, and Clingan wasn't that good. I think this seasons midfield has more balance, Jennings is a better holding mid than Clingan, Bigi was a teen and will be better (a lot, lot better than Bailey) but I feel Bailey edges it because he has contributed a lot in assists and defending, Barton is good gets assists, scored 2 great goals, 1 good goal, Moussa adds class down the wing and Baker is rejuvenated under MR, good at dribbling and scores goals. My edge goes to this season's midfield because we have more balance, this was hard though as Norwood, Thomas and Bigi are 3 great players with potential but experience and balance wins it for me.

Striker: I don't need to justify why tis season's striker is better than last season's McG will probably score more than all our strikers goals put to together by the time he goes back to Forest, hopefully coming back to us.

Squad: we were barebones last season, this season we have competition for most positions, furthermore, I think we have real strength in depth this year. Edge: 2012/2013

Manager: AT gets smacked by MR.

Discuss :D

Manager AT signed Murphy, promoted Christie, all but signed DMC, signed Barton, scouted Baker. Signed Edge. Scouted Keogh. Promoted Bigi.

AT was smacked alright by SISU last season they signed 3 players and two loanees in January. This season they have signed 15 players and we are not in January yet.

Robins seems a top manager.

AT got 360 minutes with this squad. In which he arguably had one bad result. Yeovil away first league match. Yeovil have shown now that, that was an acceptable result. The other week we drew with a weaker Sheffield Utd team. The bury result a draw at home is not the worst result in the world but not good enough.

I think I could compare the two if AT had ten games and got DMC before he was sacked.

As it stands I can't judge a manager on 4 games, a win and three draws. I would be just making it up to support my argument if I did say you can judge someone on games as he was undefeated.

However it is very rare that a manager is sacked 4 games in even with 4 defeats as most reasonable people know you can't judge someone that quickly, especially after so many changes

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

Manager AT signed Murphy, promoted Christie, all but signed DMC, signed Barton, scouted Baker. Signed Edge. Scouted Keogh. Promoted Bigi.

AT was smacked alright by SISU last season they signed 3 players and two loanees in January. This season they have signed 15 players and we are not in January yet.

Robins seems a top manager.

AT got 360 minutes with this squad. In which he arguably had one bad result. Yeovil away first league match. Yeovil have shown now that, that was an acceptable result. The other week we drew with a weaker Sheffield Utd team. The bury result a draw at home is not the worst result in the world but not good enough.

I think I could compare the two if AT had ten games and got DMC before he was sacked.

As it stands I can't judge a manager on 4 games, a win and three draws. I would be just making it up to support my argument if I did say you can judge someone on games as he was undefeated.

However it is very rare that a manager is sacked 4 games in even with 4 defeats as most reasonable people know you can't judge someone that quickly, especially after so many changes

If you make promises, and you don't keep them, in football, you deserve the sack, why wait 10 games when you [the board] know things aren't going to change, I'm glad the old regime are gone.

Remind me how effective McG was before Robins was brought in? Hmmm :thinking about:

AT and Shaw failed us massively, more Shaw, but AT by your logic, wait 10 games to see if AT was good enough, he fails, we have 4 games under Shaw, we fail in worse fashion, that leaves us only 8 games ago Robins was appointed, we would've been down and out of the promotion race (mind you we're behind now despite early action taken) as Robins' wouldn't have been able to implement his ways. Furthermore, ANY chance of McG staying would be gone, or increased because he'd done shit.

You forgot Robins has brought in Moussa and Bailey and Adams.

dongonzalos

Remind me how DMC performed under AT. My view is you give AT a fair crack of the whip if you start to think you are going to get rid you identify your man. You then get it all but done sack Thorn and get your man straight in. I never agreed with it taking so long, so I can't agree with your logic. If you can judge a manager on a win and three draws then you are a better football exert than most

Mucca Mad Boys

Remind me how DMC performed under AT. My view is you give AT a fair crack of the whip if you start to think you are going to get rid you identify your man. You then get it all but done sack Thorn and get your man straight in. I never agreed with it taking so long, so I can't agree with your logic. If you can judge a manager on a win and three draws then you are a better football exert than most

I don't see your logic in wanting to keep Thorn for 10 games, even when you have hindsight! :facepalm:

The decision process took 3 weeks, and to end up with MR, and how we playing at the minute... It was definitely worth the wait.

dongonzalos

Like I say if you can judge a manager over 4 games of a win and three draws you are a better football expert than most.
That is why it is rare a manager is sacked that quickly into a season and it is usually due to 4 heavy defeats and pressure from the fans we had neither
That is why the majority on here said he should have 10 games.
That decision nearly cost us our season with the following 5 defeats.
Luckily for SISU MR seems a top manager and is doing the business.
Before MR got the job it was announced in the CET that they could not agree terms with ince.
I for one am not going to thank SISU for sacking a manager after 4 games, then their second choice replacement turns out to be very good.
They should have sacked AT last season if they were going to or if they decided to do it this season. Then discretely identify and approach his replacement and do it in a manner that leads to a smooth transistion.
Don't get emotional after a bad 45 and jump the gun.

dongonzalos

If robins hadn't turned out to be so good and the play offs became unattainable. I feel many on here would have been frustrated at the premature sacking. As you say fickle, I do hope you include yourself in that label

hill83

If robins hadn't turned out to be so good and the play offs became unattainable. I feel many on here would have been frustrated at the premature sacking. As you say fickle, I do hope you include yourself in that label

Stating the obvious. Difference between most and yourself is the continued support of failure as opposed to embracing success.

dongonzalos

Stating the obvious. Difference between most and yourself is the continued support of failure as opposed to embracing success.

I rate and like robins, doesn't mean I suddenly think it is right to sack managers after a few games when they only had one poor result

Tonylinc

I rate and like robins, doesn't mean I suddenly think it is right to sack managers after a few games when they only had one poor result
oh come on......AT's team were not at all convincing. Yes, Sisu have done well getting RM by default but are you really trying to tell me that a team managed by AT would now be doing better????

dongonzalos

oh come on......AT's team were not at all convincing. Yes, Sisu have done well getting RM by default but are you really trying to tell me that a team managed by AT would now be doing better????

I have no idea. I am saying you can't judge a manager on a handful of games and I don't think we would have lost those 5 on the bounce if he wasn't sacked. That ,that nearly cost us our season and SISU are bloody lucky MR is a top manager. If we don't get promoted this season I think SISU are screwed and it was a big gamble.

Mucca Mad Boys

Like I say if you can judge a manager over 4 games of a win and three draws you are a better football expert than most.
That is why it is rare a manager is sacked that quickly into a season and it is usually due to 4 heavy defeats and pressure from the fans we had neither
That is why the majority on here said he should have 10 games.
That decision nearly cost us our season with the following 5 defeats.
Luckily for SISU MR seems a top manager and is doing the business.
Before MR got the job it was announced in the CET that they could not agree terms with ince.
I for one am not going to thank SISU for sacking a manager after 4 games, then their second choice replacement turns out to be very good.
They should have sacked AT last season if they were going to or if they decided to do it this season. Then discretely identify and approach his replacement and do it in a manner that leads to a smooth transistion.
Don't get emotional after a bad 45 and jump the gun.

But it wasn't just 4 games, he over 50 before that!!! :facepalm:

He made promises to the board to keep his job, which he didn't keep, and paid for it.

He wasn't ever going do as well as MR.

stupot07

How did they get on that one game? Please read above about my comments of the rare circumstances under which a manager gets sacked in such a short time
1 game though, he might if gone on a 9 game unbeaten run following that defeat. (And you said that being sacked after 4 heavy defeats as a circumstance not 1.)

Your being very stubborn about this, it is ok to change your mind. That's the beauty of hindsight.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

How did they get on that one game? Please read above about my comments of the rare circumstances under which a manager gets sacked in such a short time

They won 4-1 or 4-0 next game...

They appointed a new manager and got promoted...

If we kept AT, we'd be ruling the fact we didn't sack him

Tonylinc

Come on Dong. MR is a hundred times better than AT just admit it and we can all move on. By the way, which job is now taking care off????

dongonzalos

But it wasn't just 4 games, he over 50 before that!!! :facepalm:

He made promises to the board to keep his job, which he didn't keep, and paid for it.

He wasn't ever going do as well as MR.

It was 4 games in league one with 9 new signings and DMC in negotiations.
Surely you understand that is slightly different to last season where SISU admitted they screwed it up..

dongonzalos

1 game though, he might if gone on a 9 game unbeaten run following that defeat. (And you said that being sacked after 4 heavy defeats as a circumstance not 1.)

Your being very stubborn about this, it is ok to change your mind. That's the beauty of hindsight.

That hindsight is based on MR turning out to be a good manager. Ince was their first choice and we had 5 defeats in between.

It was a bad call handled in a bad way that has turned out very well.

stupot07

That hindsight is based on MR turning out to be a good manager. Ince was their first choice and we had 5 defeats in between.

It was a good call made in a bad way which has turned out very well.

Tonylinc

Can't disagree with that; but we did eventually get a good Manager something AT was never going to be.

Mucca Mad Boys

Is their any actual evidence to suggest Ince was 1st choice!? No.

Evidence for MR, he signed 3 players almost simultaneously in the signing of is contract. Moussa being 1, and he brought in Bailey soon after.

dongonzalos

Come on Dong. MR is a hundred times better than AT just admit it and we can all move on. By the way, which job is now taking care off????

You don't see my point I am not and never have been comparing AT and MR.

I like MR

When SISU sacked AT did they do it as they knew MR was going to be the next manager,no

They did it because of a shit 45minutes against bury. They had no replacement ready it cost us 5 defeats. They tried to get Ince ended up with Robins he has done fantastic. He has nearly done what some where saying was impossible. He has saved SISU's ass.

Bluegloucester

AT was never a manager, Coleman employed him because he was a mate. The club promoted him because he was cheap. If we had stuck with him we would be in the bottom 3. He was, and always will be, clueless.

dongonzalos

Sorry Taylor it wasn't quite the stroke of genius you seem to think

MARK Robins looks set to be unveiled as Coventry City’s new manager in the next 24 hours.

The former Rotherham and Barnsley boss was on the Sky Blues’ short list of three and became the overwhelming favourite when the club were unable to agree terms with Paul Ince.

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...y-blues-manager-92746-31864483/#ixzz2FFWp2sds

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

The club promoted him because he was cheap.

It was he and Harrison as joint managers to start, and if I remember correctly, caretakers stay on the same wage, he did well, and deservedly got appointed, he was the fans' choice, he wasn't appointed because he was cheap, because he did well, turned us around and there would've been outrage had he not got the job.

Bluegloucester

It was he and Harrison as joint managers to start, and if I remember correctly, caretakers stay on the same wage, he did well, and deservedly got appointed, he was the fans' choice, he wasn't appointed because he was cheap, because he did well, turned us around and there would've been outrage had he not got the job.

He was cheap to begin with, that's why he got the job. Fact.

dongonzalos

Agree, he did well. Then was shafted and got relegated. SISU accepted responsibility promised to back him. They did part of the deal letting him make signings the gave him 4 games. He won one got two reasonable results then one poor draw, gone. I am making the point that that was bad management by SUSU.

Eventually they got Robins he is now saving their asses

Mucca Mad Boys

Spry Taylor it was quite the stroke of genius you seem to think

MARK Robins looks set to be unveiled as Coventry City’s new manager in the next 24 hours.

The former Rotherham and Barnsley boss was on the Sky Blues’ short list of three and became the overwhelming favourite when the club were unable to agree terms with Paul Ince.

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...y-blues-manager-92746-31864483/#ixzz2FFWp2sds

I seen that, I, and others don't believe it, there's still no evidence MR wasn't 1st choice, only a newspaper said so. The Sun chats shit, yet it's the UK's #1 newspaper...

The people who actually know said this:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2012/09/20/mark-robins-was-coventry-city-s-first-choice-insists-steve-waggott-92746-31873462/#sitelife-commentsWidget-bottom

Users who are viewing this thread