Hate the Olympics thread! (1 Viewer)

skybluesam66

not a bad morning in the olympics 3 golds
between 1924 and 1996 we never won more than 6 golds at a single olympics and only 1 at Atlanta
I still enjoy it albeit the timings of events is not great

Covstu

I’m enjoying it, gives you a chance to watch ‘other’ sports. Ironically found the TKD dull even though I did it for 7 years! Liked the archery and skateboarding was also pretty cool. Girls loved the gymnastics and my little one wants to start so that’s all good

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Russia are banned from the games due to the whole state sponsored doping thing. I think the 'Russian Olympic committee' aren't allowed to wear Russian flags on their uniform or have the Russian national anthem played when they win medals. I think they're also officially referred to as the ROC. as even the word Russia/Russian is banned on official documents and the like.

I thought the C stood for cheats.

Frank Sidebottom

not a bad morning in the olympics 3 golds
between 1924 and 1996 we never won more than 6 golds at a single olympics and only 1 at Atlanta
I still enjoy it albeit the timings of events is not great
I think after Atlanta the lottery funding really kicked in. Makes a huge difference when your athletes can spend all their time training/competing instead of fitting it around a 9-5 job.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think after Atlanta the lottery funding really kicked in. Makes a huge difference when your athletes can spend all their time training/competing instead of fitting it around a 9-5 job.

Trouble is it goes against the Olympic ideal. It was never supposed to be for professionals. Used to have loads more than sports in the Olympics but they got taken out because the people doing them were professionals. Stuff like architecture, painting, sculpture, literature, poetry.

As sportspeople are now pro I say we start adding back in the arts.

rob9872

Trouble is it goes against the Olympic ideal. It was never supposed to be for professionals. Used to have loads more than sports in the Olympics but they got taken out because the people doing them were professionals. Stuff like architecture, painting, sculpture, literature, poetry.

I certainly agree they should be amateur, but i'm not a fan of bringing anything in that adds even more to other people's opinion scoring as it does the actual mechanics of something. I enjoyed the skateboarding but again who is to say that an 8.52 shouldn't be an 8.36 or an 8.78? It's based on people's opinion and very odd that Japan won both golds.

I like it where you can clearly see who was the fastest, highest, furthest, most accurate or strongest, etc and not judged or any room for bias

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I certainly agree they should be amateur, but i'm not a fan of bringing anything in that adds even more to other people's opinion scoring as it does the actual mechanics of something. I enjoyed the skateboarding but again who is to say that an 8.52 shouldn't be an 8.36 or an 8.78? It's based on people's opinion and very odd that Japan won both golds.

I like it where you can clearly see who was the fastest, highest, furthest, most accurate or strongest, etc and not judged or any room for bias

Yep, I get that. I tend to watch the diving at the Olympics and I don't get the judging on that. Two pretty much identical dives and one scores way more than another, with the one with the better entry scoring worse. Almost seems like they pre-judge based upon the name.

COV

Russia are banned from the games due to the whole state sponsored doping thing. I think the 'Russian Olympic committee' aren't allowed to wear Russian flags on their uniform or have the Russian national anthem played when they win medals. I think they're also officially referred to as the ROC. as even the word Russia/Russian is banned on official documents and the like.

If they’re banned how come they’re there winning medals, has nobody cottoned on that it’s them?

We could try that next season, if Hamer gets suspended we could play him anyway and call him “Player X”

Rich

The film is bloody fascinating about this. Icarus

Si80

The film is bloody fascinating about this. Icarus

Yep great film.

Love the Olympics. Only chance I get to watch a lot of (field) hockey on tv. Great result today for the GB women in pursuit of retaining their Olympic gold. GB men have a really tough group though.

Covstu

I think that stopped when they put sports which are professional. Football, cycling, rugby to name a few have professional backing So is always going to have this approach. A lot of other sports are still fairly amateur which is great but lets face it every sport needs backing otherwise they won’t have time to devote to the sport.

COV

I think that stopped when they put sports which are professional. Football, cycling, rugby to name a few have professional backing So is always going to have this approach. A lot of other sports are still fairly amateur which is great but lets face it every sport needs backing otherwise they won’t have time to devote to the sport.

The minute they allowed massively paid NBA players in the whole concept and ethos was devalued

Skyblueweeman

Have to say, I'm loving the Olympics. Good to see different sports for a change, some of the stories that go with it and the Beebs coverage isn't too bad either.

I won't be getting up at 3am every day but it was nice to see the diving this morning whilst watching breakfast.

It beat the normal breakfast viewing of Paw Patrol, Peppa Pig or Paddington 🙄

Skyblueweeman

Well having seen the pictures, not entirely sure why they'd be fined for wearing what they did?!?

View attachment 21164

Yeah a bit of a weird one. Apparently the rules are that they need to wear bikini bottoms not shorts. Is it sexualisation? Seems like they think it is...however on the same day a British Para-athlete was told that her shorts were too short and inappropriate at national trials.

Mixed messages across womans sport.

Bugsy

Tokyo Olympics: Jennifer Gadirova's floor routine in GB's surprise bronze medal display - Watch: Gadirova's floor routine in GB's surprise bronze

Gadirova floor routine is something else jeez how the hell can anyone do a no handed forward somersault flip or whatever its called, just incredible. If u haven't seen it check it out

Oh and fuck the horse dressage that's shit

Grendel

It was great that Tom Daly in his 4th Olympics got a Gold. I remember watching a reality programme years ago and his Dad was taking him everywhere to get him to this achievement

Users who are viewing this thread