Hate the Olympics thread! (2 Viewers)

ccfctommy

BBC News 24 and to a lesser extent Sky News are almost all Olympics whilst BBC Parliament has been suspended for the duration of the games.

Parliment breaks up for the summer.

ccfctommy

Ok just read the whole thread...

HH - Out of interest, do you like any other sports bar football? What about boxing? That is an Olympic sport and is a good watch. Some Paddy's in there too!

Covstu

I have become addicted to the games, if it isn't on I try to find it! Love the competition and totally I spiring not most people to go and play some sport! I cannot wait til golf is added in rio!

Tad

The only gripe I have with the Olympics is the BBC. They constantly switch from BBC1 to 2, talk rubbish for hours on end when they could of just stayed on the event and show others performing. Yes, it's all about GB for us, but it's nice too see others perform too.

Other then that. I'm loving it! Great to see great sports that never, and I mean never, get the recognition they deserve.

Last edited:

The CableGuy

The BBC is the only channel that carries the Olympic coverage. At the very most, that's 40% of your channel selection if both terrestrial channels are running it together (I don't know if anyone still has only the five channels any more)

Come again? You've got dozens of channels, even on Freeview, and Digital Switchover has been completed in this area for months now.

That's before including On-Demand, Catch-Up TV and Over-The-Top options like Virgin, Sky Anytime, Lovefilm, Netflix, iPlayer etc. Not to mention PVRs and unwatched recordings on them.

Non-sports lovers have never had it so good.

Last edited:

The CableGuy

The only gripe I have with the Olympics is the BBC. They constantly switch from BBC1 to 2, talk rubbish for hours on end when they could of just stayed on the event and show others performing. Yes, it's all about GB for us, but it's nice too see others perform too.

Other then that. I'm loving it! Great to see great sports that never, and I mean never, get the recognition they deserve.

Yep, I'm now a big Volleyball fan (no, not just because of the hot women at the beach volleyball). Looks like fun to play and a good way to keep fit.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I agree Tad! There are many sports and pastimes that don't get enough recognition! I think I'll start a campaign to get the following admited as olympic events!........
Quidditch
Cooking
Kite Flying
Dwarf Hurling
Knitting
Synchronised Lager Drinking (and the falling down afterwards)
Scalextric Racing
Pigeon Racing
Sand Castle Building........
The list is endless! Feel free to add your own! :whistle:

Last edited:

Otis

I saw a poster calling for more Water Sports to be included in the Olympics, so I thought i would pop along and have a look.

Wasn't what I was expecting at all. :eek:

50 year old men and women dressed in rubber and lots of plastic sheeting.

Tad

I agree Tad! There are many sports and pastimes that don't get enough recognition! I think I'll start a campaign to get the following admited as olympic events!........
Quidditch
Cooking
Kite Flying
Dwarf Hurling
Knitting
Synchronised Lager Dringing (and the falling down afterwards)
Scalextric Racing
Pigeon Racing
Sand Castle Building........
The list is endless! Feel free to add your own! :whistle:

What's wrong with Quidditch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou4LQlP88ZI&sns=em

XD haha

Honestly though. Football dominates far too much in this country. There's more then enough room for other sports to have there spot.

I found ice hockey 6 years ago and never looked back. Love it! Thanks to the Olympics I've now got an interest in Hockey (ground) and Handball too.

Also,

Can I add chav hunting onto that list? :)

Last edited:

dutchman

040812-MATT-web_2298898a.jpg

CCFCSteve

Only boring bit was the football (glad I've only watched a few mins). The real professional sportsmen and women have done the country proud. People who dedicate their lives to the sport not for 40, 50, 60k a week but to be the best they can be. A very proud day to be British !

Nonleagueherewecome

What happened?

Nonleagueherewecome

...guess nowt will :D

bamalamafizzfazz

Firstly in terms of coverage, What the BBC are doing with the Olympics is nothing new. Sky have been using their programmes to advertise for years and the classic example is Sky Sports News (or as I like to call it, Gareth Bale TV). They will bang on all week with a report every hour about a particular sport or game that they are showing with little coverage of sports they are not.
Remember when they didn't show the Champions League or the F1? They never talked about either now there is constant talk of both.

Secondly, I appreciate that the original poster is Irish as well and under represented at the games but do not think I willing your guys to do well at the Euros. Love thy neighbour.

The fact is that the Olympics right now is the biggest news in the world!! Just for a short period of time the news is good for a change and not about the 'economic crisis' or problems in a war torn country etc. This happens for less than three weeks every four years and is protected to be shown on the BBC and their coverage is being broadcast across the world and for me they are doing a great job. Whether you like the sports or not just join in with the enjoyment and celebration of individuals who have worked so hard to try and be the best in the world at their professions.

In a couple of weeks it will all be done and gone you can get back to watching Cash in the Attic!!

westendunited

Whist winning an olympic gold medal is the absolute pinnacle of an athletes career it is a somewhat lesser accolade to other sports such as football or tennis. Rodger Federer seems to be treating his match with Murray as a practice match almost like he's letting Murray win !!!

Paxman II

Houch you're obviously the kind guy who poohs on anyone's parade for the sake of it.
You may be from Eire which has been British and many could argue would be better off British (let's not get into that my Irish cousin) yet you live on The Isle Of White?
How's things in Britain for you then?

ccfcway

my mother in law today said "when does the olympics start"

clearly demonstrating that if you really have no interest in it, you can avoid it

I didnt see anything ti do with the jubillee, but it was wall to wall coverage on tv etc, but guess what, i could go out and do something less boring instead..

this last week has been amazing, but if your not interested, just do something else and let us enjoy it !

dutchman

Houch you're obviously the kind guy who poohs on anyone's parade for the sake of it.
You may be from Eire which has been British and many could argue would be better off British (let's not get into that my Irish cousin) yet you live on The Isle Of White?

Houch grew up in Coventry, went to the same school I did (Ullathorne).

Houchens Head

Three points Mr Pax.
Point one: Let's NOT get into Irish politics. Far too sensitive a subject for me.
Point Two: I was actually born in Coventry - my family (from my parents back) are from Eire, so I have dual nationality.
Point Three: It's the Isle of WIGHT - Not WHITE! We aren't racist on the island!
You ask how things are in Britain for me? Sounds a very racist remark my friend. You're treading a very dangerous line. Be careful with your words.

Otis

[video=youtube;aV8_fgKNsWg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV8_fgKNsWg[/video]

The Olympics explained in 8 mins 22 secs.l

Piece of cake.

Houchens Head

Thoroughly enjoyed Otis!! I'll echo Dutchman - Absolutely brilliant! I loved the Tramp-a-leaning! Whoever put this together deserves a gold medal and the little lass is a star! :claping hands::claping hands::claping hands::claping hands::claping hands:

Houchens Head

It's my lass and it was me who put it together. :wave:

What? Get away! Really? Well done mate! This needs to go viral. I'll start the ball rolling! :)

Paxman II

Three points Mr Pax.
Point one: Let's NOT get into Irish politics. Far too sensitive a subject for me.
Point Two: I was actually born in Coventry - my family (from my parents back) are from Eire, so I have dual nationality.
Point Three: It's the Isle of WIGHT - Not WHITE! We aren't racist on the island!
You ask how things are in Britain for me? Sounds a very racist remark my friend. You're treading a very dangerous line. Be careful with your words.

..whatever. But you're still poohing on everyone's parade. :)

Houchens Head

Think you had a slight misunderstanding there, Otis! :D

(or did you? LOL!)

Users who are viewing this thread