Hate the Olympics thread! (1 Viewer)

Otis

Ahh right. He was cheering her on rather than depositing something on her.

With you now. :D

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Well. I have to hold my hands up and admit defeat! As you will all know, (if you read the first post), I am not a fan of these olympics. However, as I have been flicking channels over every now and again, I have become impressed with team GB's haul of medals, particularly gold. Well done.

(And our Katie won gold as well!!!!) :)

Nonleagueherewecome

Well. I have to hold my hands up and admit defeat! As you will all know, (if you read the first post), I am not a fan of these olympics. However, as I have been flicking channels over every now and again, I have become impressed with team GB's haul of medals, particularly gold. Well done.

Splitter! I'm on me own now, then? Well, just me and Morrissey.

Covstu

About time houch!

Can anyone see anything wrong with this photo?

o-US-ROWERS-570.jpg

He looks so pleased with himself.

CJparker

I hate it too, the hype has annoyed me so much that I have deliberately boycotted all coverage and therefore managed to avoid watching even a single seconds's worth of coverage!

sylus

tbh, im getting abit bored of the olympics now,glad its over on sunday.at least we haven't lost any soldiers over afganistan since the olympics started,nothing has been reported,or does that start again monday.

Marty

I think it's one of the few times that an event has lived up to the hype surrounding it. Highlight for me is finding out about sports I never even thought of giving a second glance before.

Brighton Sky Blue

As a hockey player myself I really felt for the GB guys yesterday-hope they restore some pride against the Aussies.

Marty

It's never long before resentment of professional footballers rears its head.

I think it's a valid point, all you hear about is how hard done by the players are, they're tired, they are this, they are that. It's pathetic the way they go on and have a self inflated opinion of themselves. I've been out of love with football for a while now and I think I've found myself a new sport in Handball, the tempo and speed they play, the way they throw there bodies around, don't forget they are coming down on a very hard surface too, yet you only see them stay down if they're truly injured. A lot of footballers need to wake up and see how easy they have it.

ajsccfc

It's not valid, it's a cliched whine about people put up on a pedestal purely so there's a better vantage point to knock them down.

For instance, a footballer can rarely just play poorly, it has to be that they don't give a shit or don't have passion or any other meaningless excuse. Look at how England go out and people scream about how they're overpaid, unlike those Spanish paupers who live on mariachi tips I guess.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

It's not valid, it's a cliched whine about people put up on a pedestal purely so there's a better vantage point to knock them down.

For instance, a footballer can rarely just play poorly, it has to be that they don't give a shit or don't have passion or any other meaningless excuse. Look at how England go out and people scream about how they're overpaid, unlike those Spanish paupers who live on mariachi tips I guess.
Spanish footballers are overpaid as well just for clarity, as are Italian and French and pretty much every footballer who plays in a major league. I never said they didn't care, simply they are vastly overpaid for their efforts

I just think the Olympics has been a refreshing change from the celebrity image of footballers. Watching GB win medals in the taekwondo, boxing, triathalon, rowing, sailing, shooting has been a change from watching Rooney and co spitting his dummy out at anything an everything and watching wasters like Eastwood get a life their efforts don't deserve.

Watching these Olympics has made me more proud than the England football team ever has in my lifetime and these people have earned my respect more than the majority of top league footballers ever could

EDIT: also I only made the point in the first place as this was a thread that was hating the Olympics when it has for me been considerably more enjoyable than Euro 2012

Last edited:

Sutty

We say footballers are overpaid, but whose fault is that? Indirectly, it's ours. Football is the most popular sport in the country by an absolute mile. If it wasn't popular they wouldn't earn as much.

As for their personalities, money corrupts, simple as that. Down at this level of the game, the players are good blokes making a decent living, always happy to chat (by and large) and you get no more idiots than you would in any other sport. It's only at the top where the people involved are aloof and arrogant.

Sutty

There's also massive hypocrisy in the 'Olympics v football' argument.

Danny Sturridge battled meningitis in order to represent his country. He then missed a penalty and GB got knocked out. I guarantee if he'd been an 800m runner who'd battled with illness to make the start line, then qualified from his heat before finishing 6th in a semi final, all we'd hear would be 'what a great story', 'spirit of the Olympics', and 'would never see that from footballers'. All Sturridge got was abuse from morons.

We also saw Zac Purchase and Mark Hunter finish second in their event. One of them was on the verge of collapse because he'd given absolutely everything. We were all rightly proud of them because they'd done their best and could not have given more. Leon Best collapses with exhaustion after a game, do we overflow with pride that someone would push themselves that far for our club? No, we booed him for being 'lazy'.

Marty

There's also massive hypocrisy in the 'Olympics v football' argument.

Danny Sturridge battled meningitis in order to represent his country. He then missed a penalty and GB got knocked out. I guarantee if he'd been an 800m runner who'd battled with illness to make the start line, then qualified from his heat before finishing 6th in a semi final, all we'd hear would be 'what a great story', 'spirit of the Olympics', and 'would never see that from footballers'. All Sturridge got was abuse from morons.

We also saw Zac Purchase and Mark Hunter finish second in their event. One of them was on the verge of collapse because he'd given absolutely everything. We were all rightly proud of them because they'd done their best and could not have given more. Leon Best collapses with exhaustion after a game, do we overflow with pride that someone would push themselves that far for our club? No, we booed him for being 'lazy'.

I would go the other way and say it was selfish of himself, he wouldn't have been fully prepared and he should have know we would have been better taking someone else. Stuart Pearce should never have selected him, fair play to him for wanting to play for his country (many wouldn't want to), but the way he reacted after that penalty miss was embarrassing. It's those little petulant things get people's annoyed with them.

I can't wait for the money bubble of football to burst.

Brighton Sky Blue

Sutty is right when he says that footballers' wages are a result of the extremely high popularity of the sport and demand for high quality entertainment. It is, however, an extremely cushy existence compared to what the majority do in order to earn a fraction of the salary.

ajsccfc

I just think the Olympics has been a refreshing change from the celebrity image of footballers. Watching GB win medals in the taekwondo, boxing, triathalon, rowing, sailing, shooting has been a change from watching Rooney and co spitting his dummy out at anything an everything and watching wasters like Eastwood get a life their efforts don't deserve.

Every sport has dicks, bar none. The reason you're more aware of footballers is because that's what you follow and that's what is most publicised.

CCFCSteve

I have to say I have never been as consistantly excited and proud by a sporting event as with this Olympics. Absolute quality in whole variety of sports, so many memorable performances. Another gold with Joshua.

The whole country should be proud both of the organisation and delivery of the games as well as the performances.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Every sport has dicks, bar none. The reason you're more aware of footballers is because that's what you follow and that's what is most publicised.
I agree but the footballing dicks leave me the most bitter as they are paid vastly more than anyone else. They have a life most people would give their limbs for and they abuse it

There are a lot of good people still in football but it really gets on my tits when I see football professionals abusing their positions when they are paid so much and some give so little back.

Obviously there are people like this in all aspects of life but they are not being paid 10's of thousands pounds a week for it

rob9872

:)

wingy

It's only this one for me, I'd normally watch a fair bit .
The main reasoning being that this organisation can like others seemingly override the will of the people within the host country.
Not sure they have any right to prevent athletes expressing solidarity to causes around oppression etc either.

COV

The Russian Olympic Committee are up to fifth in the medal table, look out everyone else when their athletes get started

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I have to be a bit careful when talking about the Olympic Karate event. My best mate is a 12th Dan Black Belt tutor and asked me if I'd be watching the Karate on TV. Of course I said 'yes'!

rob9872

The Russian Olympic Committee are up to fifth in the medal table, look out everyone else when their athletes get started
Why aren't they just called Russia?

Frank Sidebottom

Why aren't they just called Russia?
Russia are banned from the games due to the whole state sponsored doping thing. I think the 'Russian Olympic committee' aren't allowed to wear Russian flags on their uniform or have the Russian national anthem played when they win medals. I think they're also officially referred to as the ROC. as even the word Russia/Russian is banned on official documents and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread