Haskell to press ahead with takeover... (1 Viewer)

RichieGunns

AMERICAN property tycoon Preston Haskell IV will be back at the Ricoh Arena tomorrow, keen to make his presence felt and press ahead with plans to take over Coventry City and half of the stadium.

The 46-year-old multi-millionaire has confirmed to the Telegraph that he has written to the administrator of CCFC Ltd, Paul Appleton, expressing an interest in acquiring the football club as soon as possible.

Haskell flies in to the UK Saturday morning on his private jet and will make his way straight to the stadium with friends and business associates who are the guests of former vice-chairman Gary Hoffman and suspended life president Joe Elliott, who have been seeking a major investor to take over the club for the last two years.

They are remaining tight-lipped on the stadium except to say “everyone knows it does not make sense to do one without the other” declining to comment on whether an offer has been made for the Higgs Charity’s half of ACL.

Haskell, who will be making his second visit to the Ricoh – having previously been to the Colchester match last month, is also due to meet the Sky Blue Trust, CCFC London Supporters and the Former Players’ Association to demonstrate that he wants to be transparent and involve fans.

The Texan will also be sitting down for an interview with the Telegraph.

Hoffman, who has been working behind the scenes with Elliott to secure new investment for several months, said: “We need owners that can provide stability and, hopefully, success but stability would do for starters!

“We need people that care about the club, the stadium and the City of Coventry. This is the right mixture; local involvement and fans involvement together with a serious investor who is committed to making a positive difference.

“We need straight talking and open communication and Preston and his team have made a good start with the way in which they have communicated with fans’ representatives today.”

Elliott, who would return as chairman if a takeover is successful, said “It has been a terrible period for our beloved Sky Blues. Mistakes have been made through many previous regimes but we have an opportunity here to put all that behind us.”

It is understood that Haskell and his team – who will take in the match against Brentford – are keen to move in as soon as possible in order to set plans out for next season.

However, there are concerns that no-one seems to know what is in CCFC Ltd, not even the administrator who has indicated the need for at least six weeks to get clarity which they believe is too long because that would take them well into the close season.

Although Haskell is a property developer who would, ultimately, look to buy and develop the land adjacent to the stadium which is earmarked for regeneration and leisure use, he is also said to be a keen sports fan who is particularly interested in football.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...ahead-with-sky-blues-takeover-92746-33124490/

quinn1971

AMERICAN property tycoon Preston Haskell IV will be back at the Ricoh Arena tomorrow, keen to make his presence felt and press ahead with plans to take over Coventry City and half of the stadium.

The 46-year-old multi-millionaire has confirmed to the Telegraph that he has written to the administrator of CCFC Ltd, Paul Appleton, expressing an interest in acquiring the football club as soon as possible.

Haskell flies in to the UK Saturday morning on his private jet and will make his way straight to the stadium with friends and business associates who are the guests of former vice-chairman Gary Hoffman and suspended life president Joe Elliott, who have been seeking a major investor to take over the club for the last two years.

They are remaining tight-lipped on the stadium except to say “everyone knows it does not make sense to do one without the other” declining to comment on whether an offer has been made for the Higgs Charity’s half of ACL.

Haskell, who will be making his second visit to the Ricoh – having previously been to the Colchester match last month, is also due to meet the Sky Blue Trust, CCFC London Supporters and the Former Players’ Association to demonstrate that he wants to be transparent and involve fans.

Hoffman, who has been working behind the scenes with Elliott to secure new investment for several months, said: “We need owners that can provide stability and, hopefully, success but stability would do for starters!

“We need people that care about the club, the stadium and the City of Coventry. This is the right mixture; local involvement and fans involvement together with a serious investor who is committed to making a positive difference.

“We need straight talking and open communication and Preston and his team have made a good start with the way in which they have communicated with fans’ representatives today.”

Elliott, who would return as chairman if a takeover is successful, said “It has been a terrible period for our beloved Sky Blues. Mistakes have been made through many previous regimes but we have an opportunity here to put all that behind us.”

It is understood that Haskell and his team – who will take in the match against Brentford – are keen to move in as soon as possible in order to set plans out for next season.

However, there are concerns that no-one seems to know what is in CCFC Ltd, not even the administrator who has indicated the need for at least six weeks to get clarity which they believe is too long because that would take them well into the close season.

Although Haskell is a property developer who would, ultimately, look to buy and develop the land adjacent to the stadium which is earmarked for regeneration and leisure use, he is also said to be a keen sports fan who is particularly interested in football.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...ahead-with-sky-blues-takeover-92746-33124490/

Good news if something comes of it.Its going to take 6 weeks before he knows what he's actually buying.fingers crossed

standupforcity

I'm keeping everything crossed and it's painful...but I do have a good feeling about this. Although there'll be a long way to go!

Mucca Mad Boys

I'd like to he's going to come in and profoundly change the club, but, it's all early stuff here, he might be put off, sorry to bore people with the Alki David example, but, he was ready to start, seen the finances, fecked off straight away, I hope PH4 doesn't do so. That said, if 5 investors are interested (admin said that didn't he?) there are 4 other investors to be considered also.

As always, I long for brighter days as a Sky Blue supporter, through thick and thin.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

We should be careful about getting too excited as we know little of his character, nor intended financial plans.

That stated, I'd consider am offer from Attila the Hun with six magic beans: as it'd represent a step up from where we currently are

CovisGod

All positive stuff......for a change,

However, the negative side of me says, sorry, heard it all before.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'd like to he's going to come in and profoundly change the club, but, it's all early stuff here, he might be put off, sorry to bore people with the Alki David example, but, he was ready to start, seen the finances, fecked off straight away, I hope PH4 doesn't do so. That said, if 5 investors are interested (admin said that didn't he?) there are 4 other investors to be considered also.

As always, I long for brighter days as a Sky Blue supporter, through thick and thin.

As even Elliott has said if at least partial ownership of ACL can't be agreed then it's no deal. I really think that if we can at last combine the club with ACL under sensible management then the future is very bright indeed. Here's hoping!

torchomatic

I wonder if he's more interested in the Ricoh and the surrounding area than the club? Time will tell, I guess.

Mucca Mad Boys

As even Elliott has said if at least partial ownership of ACL can't be agreed then it's no deal. I really think that if we can at last combine the club with ACL under sensible management then the future is very bright indeed. Here's hoping!

Exactly. I have the same hopes to.

I can see this happening if PH4 takes over:

He gets his finger in the ACL pie, 50% of it, then after time, he'll want the rest for CCFC, and I can see things getting bitter with the CCC if they don't want to sell their share(I personally can't see the CCC selling their share for a reasonable price) so I could see the yank kicking off and maybe threading to leave or whatever, doomsday stuff I know, but I'm expecting the worst (hoping for the best!) because I'm intensely nervy because as a naive early teen, I thought SISU were going to be good owners and all was going to be good! :facepalm:

PH4 seems legit and I can see him taking CCFC forward as a club, hopefully to the Prem.

Mucca Mad Boys

I wonder if he's more interested in the Ricoh and the surrounding area than the club? Time will tell, I guess.

Anyone would though, because the RICOH is a money-maker, and people aren't going to get involved with a club that doesn't have profit potential, no doubt SISU had this in mind 5-6 years ago, and I guarantee you this is why PH4 won't do a deal if he can't get 50% of ACL.

Let me remind you folks of some big takeovers and a reoccurring trend:

Leeds - old, but big stadium, lots of potential for investment
Leicester - new stadium, took over by multi millionaire
Southampton - new stadium, took over by billionaire
Cardiff - new stadium, took over by multi millionaire

There's a reason clubs like Yeovil don't get took over by tycoons and big clubs, with new stadiums, attract tycoons.

Lets not forget PH4 is a property developer.

Brighton Sky Blue

My other issue is that Haskell, like SISU, is coming at this with no experience of football business.

Mucca Mad Boys

SBTaylor, have you had a change of heart?

No, I just get portrayed as 'pro-SISU' because I defend the club in this issue.

My stances will remain whoever the owner is.

My other issue is that Haskell, like SISU, is coming at this with no experience of football business.

Beggars can't be choosers!

At least he (apparently) has an interest in football.

rupert_bear

No problem. Hoffman and co have been quiet for a year much to the annoyance of many on here. Potential buyers/investors will have been well researched.

cloughie

No problem. Hoffman and co have been quiet for a year much to the annoyance of many on here. Potential buyers/investors will have been well researched.

Correct Hoffman said after so much flack that he wouldn't speak again until he had something substantial to put forward

Last edited:

SkyBlueHomer

I am of the opinion that until there is 100% proof that we have been taken over I will believe it when I see it, that way we cant be disapointed.

We do need something though because based on the £60m debt we cannot carry on, I personally think it is that bad.
Anyone will always be more interested in the Ricoh and land around it more than CCFC especially with the train station to be built, sure this was passed but if we can get even part ownership of the Ricoh we will be in a much better position as long as the ownership is passed to CCFC not any potential takeover group. The Ricoh under the right management is a gold mine

georgehudson

interesting developments,
a few questions that i hope are pertinent,
will the £60m debt ever be properly and adequately explained ?
what is the population within a 20 mile radius of the ricoh ?
how will the various parties sisu / acl / ccc react to this approach ?
will our esteemed local journalists grasp the metal ?
what penalties will be put against the club ?
will our current owners be fully investigated ?
will WE the fans be able to hold our heads high again ?

AFCCOVENTRY

Yup... i can confirm PH4 is on his way. Picture just taken at the Dallas airport.

Picture with his pilot and air hostess as well

Haskell-jet_305502k.jpg

dongonzalos

No, I just get portrayed as 'pro-SISU' because I defend the club in this issue.

My stances will remain whoever the owner is.

I think you were right all along I am now glad SISU never compromised and accepted ACL's 66 % compromise.

You did say you were glad I was not negotiating and you were right

Last edited:

RichieGunns

Yup... i can confirm PH4 is on his way. Picture just taken at the Dallas airport.

Picture with his pilot and air hostess as well

Haskell-jet_305502k.jpg

Oh you've gotta love sarcasm ;)

And I believe those are his parents lol!

And I'm pretty sure the Haskell family had a share in the Jacksonville Jaguars which is an NFL team at some point.

While they may not have experience of football, they've worked with sports team stuff before.

SISU had never done anything with a sports club before. This has to be better does it not?

Grendel

Oh you've gotta love sarcasm ;)

And I believe those are his parents lol!

And I'm pretty sure the Haskell family had a share in the Jacksonville Jaguars which is an NFL team at some point.

While they may not have experience of football, they've worked with sports team stuff before.

SISU had never done anything with a sports club before. This has to be better does it not?

What ken bates is Haskels dad!

This will annoy few people that said no one would be interested in buying us, just goes show people on here don't know whats really going on give the guy a warm welcome we must get rid sisu asap PUSB!!!!

Grendel

This will annoy few people that said no one would be interested in buying us, just goes show people on here don't know whats really going on give the guy a warm welcome we must get rid sisu asap PUSB!!!!

Did you think Joe Dinsah should have bought the club?

I would have thought the last 5 years may have meant most would like to hold any future buyer to scrutiny.

Apparantly not and the fact the picture shows him with Ken Bates already makes me sceptical.

I would have thought the last 5 years may have meant most would like to hold any future buyer to scrutiny.

Apparantly not and the fact the picture shows him with Ken Bates already makes me sceptical.

look if you quite happy for sisu to destroy our football club then you have a strange way of being a true city fan, you know nothing about this guy or his intentions as none of us do so lets just see what happens one way or other sisu will be gone soon and i don't spread rumours but i know that to be a Fact!

Spencer

look if you quite happy for sisu to destroy our football club then you have a strange way of being a true city fan, you know nothing about this guy or his intentions as none of us do so lets just see what happens one way or other sisu will be gone soon and i don't spread rumours but i know that to be a Fact!

How do you know that for a fact? You can't, nor do you - so, in actual fact, you do spread rumours.

Spencer

The problem is Grendel how do we, the fans, hold any potential owner to scrutiny?

Yes, I'm massively sceptical about anyone that wants to own a football club, but what questions do you ask and how can you believe the answers you're given?

The only way of certainty, that I can see, of investment is if the seller of the club insists on it - and the administrator is in no position to insist on that.

WillieStanley

No one here is slating PH4 before he has even put a bid in but there is, rightfully so, an air of cynicism. We've been burnt so much over the past 10 years that it's healthy and natural.

People who blindly accept change for changes sake are the ones who end up lost.

Let's be happy that he seems to be making the right moves, but not get too excited just yet. Ink dry yadda yadda.

Baginton

Brendon Guilfoyle said this american didnt have the funds to buy the club, why isnt anyone taking that in ?

Users who are viewing this thread