Hamer (9 Viewers)

Speedie's Head

Most fans: That's great news we've signed up our best midfielder to a new contract.
Our fans: I hope this doesn't upset the wage structure.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I think it was Robins himself who said that he wasn't expecting much in the way of extra resources.

Flying Fokker

Tbh if after that, plus having an owner who claims to have ambitions to get to prem in 5 years, plus the constant increase in crowd sizes... we can't afford to offer one or two top quality players 20k a week, then we might as well give up.
Think a few on here have Stockholm Syndrome after the SISU years.

I was thinking about how SISU ran the club. I think they’d got to the stage where they twitched every time the fans talked about spending money.

GaryPendrysEyes

Tbh if after that, plus having an owner who claims to have ambitions to get to prem in 5 years, plus the constant increase in crowd sizes... we can't afford to offer one or two top quality players 20k a week, then we might as well give up.
Think a few on here have Stockholm Syndrome after the SISU years.

Has Doug King ever set a target of us getting to the premiership in 5 years??

Grendel

Hamer is a rarity in this league. He covers the pitch like 2 players. He can score, set up goals and most of all, does the job of 2 players. if we are serious about keeping him, we need to offer what he deserves. otherwise, all the good work of the past few seasons will be forgotten with that mentality. the reason we have potentially more season ticket holders this season is because of him

Then on that basis we’d get £10 million for him

GaryPendrysEyes

Is there really a wage structure in top flight football? I don’t think so. It’s dog eat dog and about prioritising your star players. Hamer is the heart of the team, everyone knows that including the players.

generally the bottom line is Doug King doesn’t have that much money and has made it clear he isn’t going to take much risk.
He has set consistent playoffs as a target. I’m not expecting much but I hope we get honesty and some viability.

GaryPendrysEyes

It’s implied in the target of 3 play offs in 5 years and hoping to convert one of them …. So yes
Not that specific was he…
‘We need to be knocking on the play-off door every single year and we need to get into those play-offs and try to get through the door. That’s the goal that I have set for the club, for the manager’.

SBT

Our fans when clubs like Derby go pop - they cheated their way to success, deserve all they get, ha ha ha ha they thick wankers
Well that’s a stupid mentality as well.

Basically anyone pretending that football makes any kind of sustainable financial sense in the Championship is deluding themselves - it doesn’t, and we’re all complicit in that. I don’t mind if we decide we don’t want to join in with the madness, but I wouldn’t expect us to play at a high level in that case either.

NorthernWisdom

I mean, why is £20k appropriate? Surely we should be paying people £30k? Why weren't we in for Messi?

We don't actually know what the club can handle and what is appropriate, although we do know the new contracts for Hamer and O'Hare resulted in the fire sale of a player last year.

I mean I'd be all for a bit of a push with Joe Spunkathon and his bags of cash to get us into the top flight, great!

But if Joe isn't handling his tools in the background, then there's got to be sanity - where that point is, I dunno.

This does have a bit of a hallmark of expectations being raised excessively by a manager punching above the club's weight.

NorthernWisdom

Well that’s a stupid mentality as well.

Basically anyone pretending that football makes any kind of sustainable financial sense in the Championship is deluding themselves - it doesn’t, and we’re all complicit in that. I don’t mind if we decide we don’t want to join in with the madness, but I wouldn’t expect us to play at a high level in that case either.
I don't disagree.

Deity

Not that specific was he…
‘We need to be knocking on the play-off door every single year and we need to get into those play-offs and try to get through the door. That’s the goal that I have set for the club, for the manager’.
He specifically said 3 in the next 5 years on his interview on TalkSPORT

GaryPendrysEyes

I mean, why is £20k appropriate? Surely we should be paying people £30k? Why weren't we in for Messi?

We don't actually know what the club can handle and what is appropriate, although we do know the new contracts for Hamer and O'Hare resulted in the fire sale of a player last year.

I mean I'd be all for a bit of a push with Joe Spunkathon and his bags of cash to get us into the top flight, great!

But if Joe isn't handling his tools in the background, then there's got to be sanity - where that point is, I dunno.

This does have a bit of a hallmark of expectations being raised excessively by a manager punching above the club's weight.
Because 20k would probably secure Hamer’s signature. That’s who we’re talking about.

NorthernWisdom

Because 20k would probably secure Hamer’s signature. That’s who we’re talking about.
And how do we know that's an appropriate figure? It's all arbitrary! If he'd said £25k would that be ok? How about if he demanded £15k? Too much? If we're talking signing Messi we should just pay him what he wants.

I mean he's (Hamer, not Messi!) already had one unsustainable contact and apparently hasn't signed the new contract that's been on offer for him, so it's not like he hasn't been valued is it?

NorthernWisdom

Except for it obviously is as we were just 1 goal away from the premier league? Without paying Hamer 20k a week….
Although tbf that was because of the efforts of two players (including Hamer) and a supporting cast!

Which is actually a good argument why you sell and improve the squad overall. Imagine Gyokeres goes and Hamer either gets kicked to death and doubled down on like Gyokeres was, and then gets injured...

GIMOC

Except for it obviously is as we were just 1 goal away from the premier league? Without paying Hamer 20k a week….

with players like Hamer and Vik who have carried this team. we will be very lucky to replace them. For every Hamer there is da Costa and every Vik there is waghorn or Walker. we had a great opportunity last season. We need to keep that basis to kick on

usskyblue

What if we give him 20k a week and his form dips, or we struggle as a team? DK obviously isn’t rolling in enough dosh to afford to take the risk. There has to be a ceiling for an established Championship club. Outside the parachute clubs, who’s paying players 20k a week? As good as Hamer was last term, we have a lot of gaps to fill, it isn’t all about one player.

Luton are a prime example of a team that didn’t rely on one or two players to make them successful.

GaryPendrysEyes

And how do we know that's an appropriate figure? It's all arbitrary! If he'd said £25k would that be ok? How about if he demanded £15k? Too much? If we're talking signing Messi we should just pay him what he wants.

I mean he's (Hamer, not Messi!) already had one unsustainable contact and apparently hasn't signed the new contract that's been on offer for him, so it's not like he hasn't been valued is it?
Because we know what other championship players are on. It’s not as difficult as you are making out.
In any industry you pay more to retain your best.

Marty

Although tbf that was because of the efforts of two players (including Hamer) and a supporting cast!

Which is actually a good argument why you sell and improve the squad overall. Imagine Gyokeres goes and Hamer either gets kicked to death and doubled down on like Gyokeres was, and then gets injured...

What if we sell Hamer and Gyokeres and bring in 6 players who all fail to perform, what if there's a freak accident and they all get trampled by a herd of goats? So many scenarios, many if's and but's.

Many are happy to cash in Gyokeres and bring in a few players who will improve us overall but build that team around Hamer. If the rumours are true, it's only a 520k investment per year in a known quantity, we'd spend that kind of money on a transfer fee for a punt from league one who may never make the grade.

Matt smith

with players like Hamer and Vik who have carried this team. we will be very lucky to replace them. For every Hamer there is da Costa and every Vik there is waghorn or Walker. we had a great opportunity last season. We need to keep that basis to kick on
Have a feeling the club are hesitating on giving him what he wants

ultimately it depends how much he’s asking for

AFCCOVENTRY

Have a feeling the club are hesitating on giving him what he wants

Robins has a role to play here and tell King to pull all the stops out… or

Robins knows it’s best to cash in and bring more balanced talent across the squad. Find the next 2 Hamer’s out of 4 signings with any funds..

Matt smith

Robins has a role to play here and tell King to pull all the stops out… or

Robins knows it’s best to cash in and bring more balanced talent across the squad. Find the next 2 Hamer’s out of 4 signings with any funds..
Totally Agree.

im sorry if DK can’t offer 20 grand a week to one of the best midfielders in the league and robins wants him to sign it shows a real lack of ambition.

He’s the heartbeat of the team

Jamesimus

What if we sell Hamer and Gyokeres and bring in 6 players who all fail to perform, what if there's a freak accident and they all get trampled by a herd of goats? So many scenarios, many if's and but's.

Sounds a bit far fetched, can't see us bringing in 6 players.

clint van damme

Most fans: That's great news we've signed up our best midfielder to a new contract.
Our fans: I hope this doesn't upset the wage structure.

Maybe because some of us remember breaking our wage structure to sign our best striker and ending up in the championship with massive debts

Matt smith

If the 20k region which I’ve been told is true (which I believe it is) then it’s a no brainier. I’ve said it previously. The money made from the playoff final alone covers the wages. The fact we have fans saying we shouldn’t really beggars belief
Like I said, have heard that they’re not at the moment giving him what he wants

Also, as he’s on holiday or was and as GIMOC said he’d have liked it sorted by then, which is a bit of a concern

Last edited:

Matt smith

Maybe because some of us remember breaking our wage structure to sign our best striker and ending up in the championship with massive debts
Say a 5 grand a week pay rise maybe

quarter of a million pound a year to keep Gus on a 3 year contract

this wage structure bollocks is annoying

clint van damme

Say a 5 grand a week pay rise maybe

quarter of a million pound a year to keep Gus on a 3 year contract

this wage structure bollocks is annoying

You're missing the point.
Example, Hamer starts badly (and hes had lean spells before), but Allen is scoring and assisting, Goddens banging them in, suddenly their agents are banging on Robins door and so it all escalates.

Our decline was along painful process that went on for over a decade.
I don't want to go back there chasing season or two of success.

Users who are viewing this thread