Hamer (10 Viewers)

robbiekeane

What's Hamer asking for/expecting? If we're talking 20k a week, then just pay the man what he's worth, if it's 30k+, then obviously we can't afford that and just run his contract down or cash him in if we get a good enough offer.
That’s such a dangerous attitude for me. Paying players crazy wages is what got us in the shit in the first place

people have short memories

Kingokings204

That’s such a dangerous attitude for me. Paying players crazy wages is what got us in the shit in the first place

Yes fair point most often it was for players we didn’t have a clue on. Hamer has been with us 3 years and been incredible. You’re not paying 20k a week for an average footballer. You’re paying 20k for the best midfielder in the championship statistically.
Also it’s the zaha factor when he was offered 200k by palace. Reason he commands such big wages is because your best players you consider not worth 200k or 20k a week for Hamer but how much is the replacement? It’s either the same with a transfer fee attached. Unless you go cheap and hope to get lucky. I feel we aren’t in that position any more

clint van damme

Yes fair point most often it was for players we didn’t have a clue on. Hamer has been with us 3 years and been incredible. You’re not paying 20k a week for an average footballer. You’re paying 20k for the best midfielder in the championship statistically.
Also it’s the zaha factor when he was offered 200k by palace. Reason he commands such big wages is because your best players you consider not worth 200k or 20k a week for Hamer but how much is the replacement? It’s either the same with a transfer fee attached. Unless you go cheap and hope to get lucky. I feel we aren’t in that position any more

It doesn't matter who the player is, it still got us in to trouble before.
Don't blow the wage structure for anyone, even if that means waving goodbye to very good players.

TomRad85

I was about to reply the same. Gus and Vik are our best players, we should pay them what they’re worth.
Waghorn was our highest paid player I believe, must have missed the part where all the players were beating the door down demanding parity. Would make a nice change to actually have our best players as our top earners.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TomRad85

4 mill from playoffs. wages from the deadwood ala Walker, waghorn not to mention potential sell on for Maddison.
Tbh if after that, plus having an owner who claims to have ambitions to get to prem in 5 years, plus the constant increase in crowd sizes... we can't afford to offer one or two top quality players 20k a week, then we might as well give up.
Think a few on here have Stockholm Syndrome after the SISU years.

NorthernWisdom

Not just the players here, but the players coming in who have to fit into a wage structure. If Hamer increases said top level, it makes it more likely players coming in get similar.

And it's a very bad risk for one player to be on substantially more than the rest of the squad. If we can't afford it for many, we can't afford it for one.

Marty

Not sure why everyone is so against paying our best player what he's worth, but more than happy to have the likes of Dabo and Jones drain the club while offering nothing in return. Most on here wanted to give Dabo a contract extension after a 60 minute spell against the worst team in the league.

When you boil it down, It's only an additional 1.5 million investment over 3 years (assuming he's currently on 10k p/w and doubling his wage). You have a known quantity, who's happy here, happy to stay given the right money, which in football terms is nothing, while also protecting his future value, It's an absolute no brainer.

TomRad85

Not just the players here, but the players coming in who have to fit into a wage structure. If Hamer increases said top level, it makes it more likely players coming in get similar.

And it's a very bad risk for one player to be on substantially more than the rest of the squad. If we can't afford it for many, we can't afford it for one.
If we're to assume Waghorn was the top of the SISU wage structure on a reported 15k do you think the ambitious Doug King complete with the bonus cash mentioned above plus a likely huge sale of Gyokeres, can stretch to 20k? Embarrassing if not.

Speedie's Head

SISU was beginning to lose money hand over fist. We need some success on the pitch just to stabilise the finances. A fraction of any extra money from sales might be available for transfer fees, two strikers replacing Waghorn and Walker won't be cheap for starters. Wages are only going in one direction. Not forgetting that we couldn't even register a full squad of players with the EFL in the past two seasons.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don't think £20k is crazy wages at this level in the current climate. It's a going rate. We've been paying others not much less than that who've made little contribution at all.

NorthernWisdom

If we're to assume Waghorn was the top of the SISU wage structure on a reported 15k do you think the ambitious Doug King complete with the bonus cash mentioned above plus a likely huge sale of Gyokeres, can stretch to 20k? Embarrassing if not.

It wouldn't just be Hamer though, you'd be looking at £farmorek upwards increase on wages across the squad. Is that a fair wage structure? Dunno, we're plucking arbitrary numbers out the air. I mean, when he signed his current contract that was supposed to be totally unsustainable, so an increase on that...?

Grendel

I don't think £20k is crazy wages at this level in the current climate. It's a going rate. We've been paying others not much less than that who've made little contribution at all.

On the existing wage structure the club loses £5m a year

TomRad85

It wouldn't just be Hamer though, you'd be looking at £farmorek upwards increase on wages across the squad. Is that a fair wage structure? Dunno, we're plucking arbitrary numbers out the air. I mean, when he signed his current contract that was supposed to be totally unsustainable, so an increase on that...?
I don't think you have to increase it across the squad, we should anyway as we had barely anything available under those clowns, but I don't think you have to. Like I said, paying Waghorn what he was getting had the potential to cause more disruption as let's be honest he didn't earn it, but it didn't and everyone just got on with it.

Dickie

Waghorn was our highest paid player I believe, must have missed the part where all the players were beating the door down demanding parity. Would make a nice change to actually have our best players as our top earners.

Exactly. They are head and shoulders above the rest.

GIMOC

In which case your risk is too great and you're better off increasing the strength of the squad as a whole. You're also making new signings more if a challenge if it's not a squad driven wage ceiling but a Hamer driven one.

Hamer is a rarity in this league. He covers the pitch like 2 players. He can score, set up goals and most of all, does the job of 2 players. if we are serious about keeping him, we need to offer what he deserves. otherwise, all the good work of the past few seasons will be forgotten with that mentality. the reason we have potentially more season ticket holders this season is because of him

Last edited:

TomRad85

Hamer is a rarity in this league. He covers the pitch like 2 players. He can score, set up goals and most of all, does the job of 2 players. if we are serious about keeping him, we need to offer what he deserves. otherwise, all the good work of the past few seasons will be forgotten with that mentality. the reason we have potential season ticket holders is because of him
Most fans: That's great news we've signed up our best midfielder to a new contract.
Our fans: I hope this doesn't upset the wage structure.

Marty

In which case your risk is too great and you're better off increasing the strength of the squad as a whole. You're also making new signings more if a challenge if it's not a squad driven wage ceiling but a Hamer driven one.

So everyone gets 20k p/w or no-one? No one in the squad dictates the game like Hamer does, if the likes of Allen and O'Hare want that kind of money, I'm sorry but they simply need to do more and it's that simple.

No one is saying the squad doesnt need more depth or quality, but most want Gyokeres gone to allow a rebuild while maintaining Hamer in the squad and him being the focal point to build around.

Kingokings204

Hamer is a rarity in this league. He covers the pitch like 2 players. He can score, set up goals and most of all, does the job of 2 players. if we are serious about keeping him, we need to offer what he deserves. otherwise, all the good work of the past few seasons will be forgotten with that mentality. the reason we have potential season ticket holders is because of him

totally agree and in this world we always have exceptions. We aren’t breaking the bank to keep him in my book. Big reason of our success is down to him and if we sell Vik for 15m hardly like we don’t have the money is it. If our other midfielders want to produce better stats and win us games then they can be paid more too.
Again I repeat the point who else has his quality and loves the club and area as much as him? Jamie Paterson because he is a few thousand a week less. Be the same people moaning when the football isn’t as good

Seaside-Skyblue

I'm all for balancing the wage structure across the team but also players should also know and see that if they become good, they generally get paid more money in football. Assuming money is their biggest motivator for a second, there's an argument that some players may get frustrated that others are on significantly much more than them. Message to them should be you get paid what you're worth and if you want bigger wages too then simply get better at what you do! While not busting the finances of the club, an element and culture of meritocracy needs to be implemented too and I'd like to see more of a situation where players react to others earning more than them in a positive way and it actually motivates those players to get better, not make them sulk because they feel they have a given right to earn the same as everyone else regardless of output. If they do sulk, you're not the type of player I want at the club.

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread