Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (3 Viewers)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

What surprised me about the Haji Wright penalty is he chose to place it low and dead centre, could of easily hit the keepers legs and save it, he's had a few chances during recent games where goalkeepers have saved with their legs, like the one at Norwich for example, lift it and he scores.

Goalkeepers will be watching that so he needs to be a bit savvy and mix it up, be interesting to see what he does with the next penalty he takes, that's if Callum O'HARE let's him

hamertime

Wright will always score goals as he gets in good positions. Still a lot of work to be done with him but it’s looking good.

Simms did ok defensively when he came on, some good closing down and defensive headers at corners. Better.

Terry_dactyl

What surprised me about the Haji Wright penalty is he chose to place it low and dead centre, could of easily hit the keepers legs and save it, he's had a few chances during recent games where goalkeepers have saved with their legs, like the one at Norwich for example, lift it and he scores.

Goalkeepers will be watching that so he needs to be a bit savvy and mix it up, be interesting to see what he does with the next penalty he takes, that's if Callum O'HARE let's him
Didn’t he just wait for the keeper to move?

shmmeee

Hes taken pens throughout his career and has a good record, O’Hare has only learned how to strike a ball in the last six months. I really don’t get this attitude TBH.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
improving all the time, needs to watch the line more but think he will finish 15-20 goals this year which wont be bad for first season and no O’Hare in the early games limiting the supply and the swapped positions of strikers and having him out wide when not a natural winger

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Hes taken pens throughout his career and has a good record, O’Hare has only learned how to strike a ball in the last six months. I really don’t get this attitude TBH.

It's not, "this attitude" it's just an observation.

Gibbo

Absolutely. Gyokeres scored some ‘ugly’ goals but they all count the same.

The keeper probably should have save it, but he didn’t. Going for the near post possibly caught the keeper out

I think he scored the penalty almost before he had even kicked it.

The goalie was absolutely convinced it was going to his right, really went for it. It must be in the body shape as they run up to the ball. As you run up, if going to the shooter's right, the shooter instinctively leans a bit left. I assume Wright hoodwinked him a bit

shmmeee

It's not, "this attitude" it's just an observation.

Yeah sorry just something I’ve seen people acting like it was some massive thing for Wright (probably the most experienced pen taker on the pitch for us) took a pen and not O’Hare who before his injury couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Tomh111

I think he scored the penalty almost before he had even kicked it.

The goalie was absolutely convinced it was going to his right, really went for it. It must be in the body shape as they run up to the ball. As you run up, if going to the shooter's right, the shooter instinctively leans a bit left. I assume Wright hoodwinked him a bit
I think it was body shape. He looks to me like he is going to hook it into the bottom left (keepers right) and then opens his body up to go down the middle just before contact.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

skyblu3sk

I think it was body shape. He looks to me like he is going to hook it into the bottom left (keepers right) and then opens his body up to go down the middle just before contact.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
I thought the same with how he shaped his body I can see why the keeper gambled. Still an odd game for Wright he gets in to great positions but is off side a fair amount. It's like he plays right on the edge which will probably frustrate a lot on here and at the match but that play is likely to create a few clear cut chances a game rather than play it safe all the time. I do think he has more to learn and I do think his body shape makes him look more awkward than he is but he is delivering the goods.

skyblue025

He was a 5 out of 10 Bambi on ice first half and a 9 out of 10 top Championship player second half. The miss 1st half was appalling he was 2 yds out. That said, even when he's having a stinker you'd fancy him to score.

StrettoBoy

I do think his body shape makes him look more awkward than he is but he is delivering the goods.

I agree. That and his long gangly legs and height.

The comparison with Peter Crouch that someone else made is a fair one. Because Crouch scored a lot with his head and looked ungainly a lot of people underestimated his ability on the ground and I think the same is true of Haji.

He has obviously adapted well to the Championship in his relatively short time with us and I believe that the best is yet to come.

Last edited:

Legia Sky Blue

0.18 xG for Wrights chance first half. Hardly a sitter. Sakas original shot at 0.22 was easier but not been mentioned at all…

This is why I'm slightly sceptical when people get over excited by stats based evidence and are keen to quote such evidence as factual, when in fact as this shows it is actually based on judgemental information, which in this case to me was entirely false. Sakamoto had to hit a crossed ball on a bobbling pitch, first time on his weaker foot with the keeper and a few defenders blocking the goal. Wright meanwhile had controlled the ball so it landed on his favoured right foot, 2 yards out with the keeper out of play and one defender blocking the line. I'm not sure by what standards Sakamoto's chance was deemed easier!

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
This is why I'm slightly sceptical when people get over excited by stats based evidence and are keen to quote such evidence as factual, when in fact as this shows it is actually based on judgemental information, which in this case to me was entirely false. Sakamoto had to hit a crossed ball on a bobbling pitch, first time on his weaker foot with the keeper and a few defenders blocking the goal. Simms meanwhile had controlled the ball so it landed on his favoured right foot, 2 yards out with the keeper out of play and one defender blocking the line. I'm not sure by what standards Sakamoto's chance was deemed easier!

Would have loved to see the stat of how Simms should have scored that chance....

olderskyblue

That was a good save by the keeper tbf, not much more Sakamoto could have done with it
He could have got a clean connection and smashed it into the back of the net?

skybluecam

This is why I'm slightly sceptical when people get over excited by stats based evidence and are keen to quote such evidence as factual, when in fact as this shows it is actually based on judgemental information, which in this case to me was entirely false. Sakamoto had to hit a crossed ball on a bobbling pitch, first time on his weaker foot with the keeper and a few defenders blocking the goal. Simms meanwhile had controlled the ball so it landed on his favoured right foot, 2 yards out with the keeper out of play and one defender blocking the line. I'm not sure by what standards Sakamoto's chance was deemed easier!
Simms? Eh?

Pezza

Genuinely pleased for Wright, great that he's scoring goals but I just can't see how he does it?

He is one of the worst technically gifted footballers I've seen at this level. The finishers almost seem accidental, you never know what will happen when he shoots (I don't think he does either), his second goal could easily have been intended for the far corner for example...

If you take away the pen win (Tanganga is awful btw), the goals and a little mazy run on the wing, the rest of his play was so poor.... he can't control a ball if it's off the ground, for his size he has no strength and the miss 2 yards out is so bad. I still can't decide if he is quick or not either...

I'm not wanting to slate him or any of the lads as I'm amazed that we are where we are in the league, but I just can't work him out as I don't see a footballer in there.

I remember watching him playing here in Denmark years ago and he was exactly the same, he's clearly done really well to get to where he has, fair play but I'm not sure where his ceiling is?

Anyway, keep the goals coming and I hope he can polish the rest of his game, because if he can then that's another 20m player.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

If you take away the pen win (Tanganga is awful btw), the goals and a little mazy run on the wing, the rest of his play was so poor....
I know you said you are genuinely pleased for him and a but more stuff more positive, but couldnt help thinking that you’ve said basically if you take away every aspect of his game that he thrives off, he is very much a line runner who will score goals, if he’s doing that he’s doing well, if he’s not doing that he’s not doing well. I just think we should judge our players off their strengths rather than their weaknesses especially our best players

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Is there any chance Haji could play as well on the right as he does the left? If so, then Tats could get a rest and perhaps JDS on the left in with Bidwell at LB
Or MvE on the RW and Lati at RB, as Milan scored quite a few for Heerenveen last season and he’s quick, will track back and can beat a man

Hertsccfc

Genuinely pleased for Wright, great that he's scoring goals but I just can't see how he does it?

He is one of the worst technically gifted footballers I've seen at this level. The finishers almost seem accidental, you never know what will happen when he shoots (I don't think he does either), his second goal could easily have been intended for the far corner for example...

If you take away the pen win (Tanganga is awful btw), the goals and a little mazy run on the wing, the rest of his play was so poor.... he can't control a ball if it's off the ground, for his size he has no strength and the miss 2 yards out is so bad. I still can't decide if he is quick or not either...

I'm not wanting to slate him or any of the lads as I'm amazed that we are where we are in the league, but I just can't work him out as I don't see a footballer in there.

I remember watching him playing here in Denmark years ago and he was exactly the same, he's clearly done really well to get to where he has, fair play but I'm not sure where his ceiling is?

Anyway, keep the goals coming and I hope he can polish the rest of his game, because if he can then that's another 20m player.
Astonishing. I think he is a really talented player who defences find difficult to play against, as his stats show.

He's maybe not the most elegant stylish player at times but he is awkward for defenders and unpredictable. His second goal yesterday is an example of that. He caught the keeper out by going for the near post rather than the predictable shot across him. This is where he is different to Simms who would have blasted the ball as he does every shot. I think with the penalty too he completely did the keeper by feigning to put it to his right.

We can rely on him getting into goalscoring positions regularly, which is an essential part of being a top striker. On top of this he is fast and really skillful at time. That turn in the corner yesterday and the lay off to Torp who nearly scored were examples of Premier League level play. I reckon he would be a nightmare for defenders to play against as he is so unpredictable and that is why he is so much more effective than Simms at this level.

TomRad85

One of the worst technically gifted footballers at this level? Even if you've only followed Coventry City for the 1 game just gone that's nonsense... if you've followed for as long as I have it's downright laughable.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Astute

So if you ignore the pen he got then scored and then ignore the goal he scored.........

Did you also ignore the easy chances Gyokeres missed?

Pezza

@Hertsccfc is it really astonishing though? really...? this is what I mean, I'm not 100% convinced he meant to catch the keeper out for example.... it's not obvious with him, could have easily just been a miss kick. You see a different player which is what football is all about, opinions.

As for his strengths, what are they? Because it's not finishing and in the first half their defenders won every ball or his couldn't get hold of it when it was played up to him.

He definitely looks more comfortable on the wing, cutting in or running, but he's a big guy who is bullied by defenders far too easily for me, would like to see him get angry.

I'm aware that I'm probably being a little harsh but like I said, I just can't work him out.

JulianDarbyFTW

When he's on it, his feet are incredible, and I've never seen a player at this level consistently work himself so much space and opportunity. Yes, he's ungainly at times, but that's part of the package. I feel a bit sorry for those who can't see how lucky we are to have players like this.

Pezza

When he's on it, his feet are incredible, and I've never seen a player at this level consistently work himself so much space and opportunity. Yes, he's ungainly at times, but that's part of the package. I feel a bit sorry for those who can't see how lucky we are to have players like this.
That's fair enough, absolutely and like I said we all see things differently at times.

Hertsccfc

@Hertsccfc is it really astonishing though? really...? this is what I mean, I'm not 100% convinced he meant to catch the keeper out for example.... it's not obvious with him, could have easily just been a miss kick. You see a different player which is what football is all about, opinions.

As for his strengths, what are they? Because it's not finishing and in the first half their defenders won every ball or his couldn't get hold of it when it was played up to him.

He definitely looks more comfortable on the wing, cutting in or running, but he's a big guy who is bullied by defenders far too easily for me, would like to see him get angry.

I'm aware that I'm probably being a little harsh but like I said, I just can't work him out.
His strengths are pretty clear:

1. Scores goals
2. Creates goals
3. Regularly gets into dangerous positions
4. Very fast
5. Skillful on the ball on occasions
6. Unpredictable
7. Doesn't go for the obvious finish every time

Not saying he is the complete package yet but these are a pretty useful set of strengths for a striker.

Sorry that you don't see it but as far as i am concerned he has been a great signing.

Users who are viewing this thread