Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (6 Viewers)

OK putting this out there. Put these 7 in order of best forward players in recent championship era

Ellis
Haji
Matt
Martyn
Max
Tyler
Viktor

It will be interesting to see where Max comes in this
At the moment I'd go:
Vik
Matt - scoring record is OK, weaknesses in other areas. He is probably the worst player in the air in the centre of the park that I've seen. He often jumps a couple of seconds too early. It is quite bizarre.
Max - scored key goals, never gave up, but ultimately was not quite good enough for the Championship
Martyn - a poor goal scorer, but at times did support Vik quite well (e.g. the start of the 21-22 season)
Tyler - infuriating, but showed flashes of quality. Did have a good positional sense sometimes
Ellis - showed promise in pre-season, although has been very poor in league matches
Haji - shows very little, last night was a simply dreadful performance. Was OK for a few minutes vs Leicester, but since?

The link up between midfield is a real worry. The midfield does not want to pass forward as they expect the ball to come straight back at them. The forwards are not making runs as they don't expect to get the ball. There is a lack of trust.

Brighton Sky Blue

The Cardiff commentators said that Cov were the slowest transitioning team they d seen in the championship.
Its worrying to think that for the next month or our midfield condists of Eccles, Kelly, Allen, and Palmer . First 3 provide very very little creativity prefering or frightened to try forward runs or anything but sideways or back passes. Palmer is a creative player but seems disinterested at the moment and just can nt pick a pass for love nor money
pusb
Then you need Ayari to be played as an 8 and to use Saka/Allen/COH as attacking midfielders.

Evo1883

At the moment I'd go:
Vik
Matt - scoring record is OK, weaknesses in other areas. He is probably the worst player in the air in the centre of the park that I've seen. He often jumps a couple of seconds too early. It is quite bizarre.
Max - scored key goals, never gave up, but ultimately was not quite good enough for the Championship
Martyn - a poor goal scorer, but at times did support Vik quite well (e.g. the start of the 21-22 season)
Tyler - infuriating, but showed flashes of quality. Did have a good positional sense sometimes
Ellis - showed promise in pre-season, although has been very poor in league matches
Haji - shows very little, last night was a simply dreadful performance. Was OK for a few minutes vs Leicester, but since?

The link up between midfield is a real worry. The midfield does not want to pass forward as they expect the ball to come straight back at them. The forwards are not making runs as they don't expect to get the ball. There is a lack of trust.
Goddens scoring record is good , not just ok , it's good

BlueSkiesForever

Then you need Ayari to be played as an 8 and to use Saka/Allen/COH as attacking midfielders.
Yeah I think that could work tbf, I think we need a big overhaul of our attacking formation, clearly 2 strikers up top is a waste of space. I think Simms on his own could work well with having O’Hare and Saka in behind then Eccles and Allen behind them, the issue there is we’re not going to win a single ball in the air as they’re all about 5ft7-ish. We’ve just got to play it to feet better and look for incisive through balls a lot lot lot quicker.

KersleyDigs

Wright needs the balls in behind down the channels far more frequently to play to his strength (PACE). Our midfield is shocking at the moment. Say what you will about Allen, but as soon as he came on he was making those runs into the box and causing some issues for Cardiff. Allen is always on the move (as is O'Hare), Palmer plays more as a pivot and doesn't offer those runs into the box.

I want to see the box midfield back for a while...

Grendel

Yeah I think that could work tbf, I think we need a big overhaul of our attacking formation, clearly 2 strikers up top is a waste of space. I think Simms on his own could work well with having O’Hare and Saka in behind then Eccles and Allen behind them, the issue there is we’re not going to win a single ball in the air as they’re all about 5ft7-ish. We’ve just got to play it to feet better and look for incisive through balls a lot lot lot quicker.

I don’t think Sakamoto is up to it

We don’t need wing backs. Despite apparently being able to best Usain Bolt in a sprint MVE rarely gets down the line to make crosses. No doubt we will be talking about Da Silva and his assist in 3 years time - as it’s not going to be a common theme in all probability

edgy

The Cardiff commentators said that Cov were the slowest transitioning team they d seen in the championship.
Its worrying to think that for the next month or our midfield condists of Eccles, Kelly, Allen, and Palmer . First 3 provide very very little creativity prefering or frightened to try forward runs or anything but sideways or back passes. Palmer is a creative player but seems disinterested at the moment and just can nt pick a pass for love nor money
pusb

They also said that it was a "statement win" and that Cardiff could actually do something this year performing like that.

I wouldn't have gone that far. It was an easy 3 points as they'll get all season. That's as bad as I've seen us against mediocre opponents since promotion.

edgy

Wright needs the balls in behind down the channels far more frequently to play to his strength (PACE). Our midfield is shocking at the moment. Say what you will about Allen, but as soon as he came on he was making those runs into the box and causing some issues for Cardiff. Allen is always on the move (as is O'Hare), Palmer plays more as a pivot and doesn't offer those runs into the box.

I want to see the box midfield back for a while...

Wright had opportunities to show his "strength (PACE)" last night. Did even look like he tried to get into full stride.

BlueSkiesForever

I don’t think Sakamoto is up to it

We don’t need wing backs. Despite apparently being able to best Usain Bolt in a sprint MVE rarely gets down the line to make crosses. No doubt we will be talking about Da Silva and his assist in 3 years time - as it’s not going to be a common theme in all probability
Agreed, I actually question whether 5 at the back is the way to go with this team, we have quite a few players that seem to not fit into our current method of playing, I wonder if going with wingers is a viable option? Saka would easily fit into that role, and just because Wright has been bought as a strikers doesn’t mean he can’t play wing, he’s got the pace and has provided quite a few cut backs to Godden so far, just something to think about. For all that 5 at the back is meant to be defensively solid it seems that atm we can get sliced open with one corner and a simple ball over the top, you have to question is that the way we should be playing?

Wouldn’t be against something like this:

Wilson
Van Ewijk, Lati, Thomas, Bidwell
Sheaf, Ayari
Sakamoto, O’Hare, Dasilva/Wright
Godden/Simms

jordan210

There is definitely a player in Wright. But I don't think its a 20+ goal scorer

He has pace and some strength when running at speed. But we seam to be to booting it to him willy nilly

Londonccfcfan

I had major concerns about Simms after the Exeter game, remember that shit show where we didn't start performing until Hamer came on.
I've seen fuck all from Simms or Wright to suggest they are going to be successful here.
Gyokeres and Mcnulty had very slow starts here, but you could see they were making good runs and working hard, I've seen precious little of that from either of our new strikers.
For me, we change things and go 1 up top to accommodate an extra AM.
I genuinely think Simms will be fine. Hes hardly played any mins. I actually gave faith in Simms and think hes the real deal. When he scores 1 he will be on a roll.

Simms looks more of a footballer than Wright.

Wright is just massive gamble which is looking like a complete and utter waste of Gyokores money.

Londonccfcfan

There is definitely a player in Wright. But I don't think its a 20+ goal scorer

He has pace and some strength when running at speed. But we seam to be to booting it to him willy nilly
Weight wouldnt score 20 in league 1 mate. Hes got no consistency to his game. He doesnt know what his bread n butter is.

shmmeee

OK putting this out there. Put these 7 in order of best forward players in recent championship era

Ellis
Haji
Matt
Martyn
Max
Tyler
Viktor

It will be interesting to see where Max comes in this

Vik

Matt

Ellis

Walker

Biamou

Waghorn

Wright

Let’s be honest though mate, to get it you play with ten men the rest of the match.

Terry_dactyl

They also said that it was a "statement win" and that Cardiff could actually do something this year performing like that.

I wouldn't have gone that far. It was an easy 3 points as they'll get all season. That's as bad as I've seen us against mediocre opponents since promotion.
Apparently we were better than Swansea. We were shite.

He scored 8 from 30 matches last season, putting him 34th equal (with nine other players) That's OK, not good. His highest championship tally is 12 goals in a season.

Ironically, this season he's on course for his best ever.

Evo1883

He scored 8 from 30 matches last season, putting him 34th equal (with nine other players) That's OK, not good. His highest championship tally is 12 goals in a season.

He's scored 31 goals in 89 championship matches .. his 12 goals were in 24 games btw

His return is good , there's no discussion ..by every metric , goals per minute with or without penalties , his return is good

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

He averages a goal every 187 mins of Championship football - whatever people's views are on him, that's impressive

Brighton Sky Blue

In part the bits that bothering me is that we can say, ‘it’s a new team they’ll take time to gel and we had our midfielder out etc’.

Look at Cardiff. They can’t spend money.
Can sign Grant, Ramsey etc though. They were still bang average though so should cool their jets over narrowly beating the worst Cov performance of the season.

Grendel

Wright was dire but some comments are stupid. He clearly has some ability and pace - reasonable shot with both feet - he may fail but he’s not the amateur being described here

NortonSkyBlue

One of the things that makes this forum a must visit is the removal of any logical thinking that occurs when discussing certain players. Godden score 5 goals in seven league games and there are some that are asking to drop him. He is joint top scorer in this league. 6 in 8 games overall. How can anybody make a case for leaving him out at this time? It is now up to the other “strikers” to take his place.

Londonccfcfan

One of the things that makes this forum a must visit is the removal of any logical thinking that occurs when discussing certain players. Godden score 5 goals in seven league games and there are some that are asking to drop him. He is joint top scorer in this league. 6 in 8 games overall. How can anybody make a case for leaving him out at this time? It is now up to the other “strikers” to take his place.
Madness isnt it. But he does literally does nothing else either. He would have been marked as lowly Haji Wright if he didnt score.

Grendel

With vaguely competent defending his goals would have got us a result.

You look at the goals though and Mcfazdean is getting stick but how was he at fault for any of the goals

Grendel

He definitely lost the man from the corner

I don’t think he did. Don’t they zonal mark through the back 3? So the guy runs through godden and Wright and he is the player holding the six yard line as he runs into the space - he’s got little chance to make the header from that position.

Londonccfcfan

The damning statistic as some pointed out earlier we are polar opposite to last season or the leicester game . Since Hamer left.

There is no one on front foot looking fir killer pass first time.

Transitionally we are so easy to defend against . Giving a team to re group by passing backwards and side ways.

Yesterday was beyond awful unrecognisable from anything we seen last 4 years.

( even last year early on the performances were good even though we wermt picking up points)

Users who are viewing this thread