Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (4 Viewers)

Evo1883

Watch him get sold to Shrewsbury In 2 years 🤣

Finham

fair enough but if he smashes 20 goal this season, you'll never live it down.

Seriously though, it is a risk, definitely. I'm nervous about the club spending this much money but much of that is because it's so alien to us.

The last 5/6 years have given me confidence to trust the process.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
I'll quite happily own it, just slightly less than @Saddlebrains is owning his hand jobs!

usskyblue

Full international for the 11th best (ranked) team in the world..

source.gif

Brighton Sky Blue

Oh yeah, me too, and I love Wilson.
Exactly, so while the fee here is a surprise, the people who've made the decision won't have taken it lightly. As I said earlier, this will have been in the pipeline for a while, rather than an impulse buy.

shmmeee

If we’re serious about getting to the Prem, then clearly we’re not going to get there on a 2-3 €2m punts. Case in point: Tom Bayliss v Maddison - both costing couple of million back in the day. One is an England intnational and the other is currently plying his trade at Shrewsbury.

A full international for the USA playing in the Turkish premier league is hardly a dosser. He’s relatively unknown to us on this forum, but with all due respect, we’re all amateurs.

But USA are crap. Kastaneer was an international, it doesn’t mean anything on its own.

I’d agree we need to move on, but £9m is a fee I’d pay for him having scored 15-20 at a similar level. He’s a £2-3M gamble with a finished article price tag. He cost less than £2m a year ago.

napolimp

What's wrong with some people on this thread. Do you not realise the process that must have gone into the decision to sign a player for 7 million. The club employs a manager, scouts, and coaches to do exactly this. The majority of us are in no way qualified.

Finham

What's wrong with some people on this thread. Do you not realise the process that must have gone into the decision to sign a player for 7 million. The club employs a manager, scouts, and coaches to do exactly this. The majority of us are in no way qualified.
Of course, but this is a football discussion forum after all. None of us are qualified. It's just a massive fee for someone who doesn't look that great. But MR and his team know what they are doing, so hopefully he'll be lethal with Simms as we go Ferguson and Wallace on the league!

Evo1883

Not sure where the championship is compared to the Turkish league but it can't be too far apart no ?

usskyblue

But USA are crap. Kastaneer was an international, it doesn’t mean anything on its own.

I’d agree we need to move on, but £9m is a fee I’d pay for him having scored 15-20 at a similar level. He’s a £2-3M gamble with a finished article price tag. He cost less than £2m a year ago.

They clearly aren’t crap, they’re ranked 11th in the world, 3 places higher than Germany. If they’re crap, why do England have problems beating them in any meaningful games?

Finham

Not sure where the championship is compared to the Turkish league but it can't be too far apart no ?
It's better than Scotland. Not as good as Portugal? There's a very high standard at a few clubs but a lot of it is poor.

Finham

Turkey themselves have only appeared at the WC twice, the last time in 2002 when they had an amazing time. No WC for 21 years. It wasn't that long ago that they were the sort of nation we'd stick 8 or 9 past in qualifying!

Finham

Fysnkysc

Weird signing this if it happens. Seems a fuck ton of money for not a great player.
Why are you writing a player off before he has kicked a ball in a cov top?

you’re right though his goal scoring record was so much worst than Gyokeres before we signed him….

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Can't believe the shit I'm reading on here tonight. I thought the Hamer thread was bad, but this is going in a similar direction. No, the Turkish league is not the Premier League, but some of the players over there include: Wilfred Zaha, Mauro Icardi, Edin Džeko, Michy Batshuayi, Dries Mertens, Ante Rebić, and Dušan Tadić. There's a significant amount of quality and it is a competitive league. Most of the players mentioned above are also significantly better than what is in the Championship.

Yes, of course there are weaker teams there, but some are going on as if it is the Saudi Arabian league. It isn't. Again, it is probably more like the Eredivisie in The Netherlands. A few stronger teams yes, but some that are more than capable too. A striker that has scored 30 goals in 60 odd games at Antalyaspor is one that should in all intents and purposes make us a lot better.

If it is 7 million or whatever, then I totally respect that the money quoted is a lot, there isn't two ways about that. Much of this comes back to the fact we aren't used to it though. We're a traumatised fan base in general. Think about it logically however; if we have Simms and Wright, with up front costs that still leaves us half the Vik money - which I think we can all agree has probably been spent well across other parts of the squad too. We should be in for a top season really, and for those with question marks, I think you may be positivity surprised.

Frostie

An awful lot of wariness here which is understandable but I honestly think this is a potential gem. Stylistically a reasonable comparison to Gyokeres but with some different strengths & weaknesses too. He will likely infuriate us at times, i.e. even though he's 6'3 don't expect him to be an aerial focal point for long balls etc., but he's such an exciting player imo.

Everyone on here has been crying out for some pace, well with Wright & MvE we probably have 2 of the very quickest players in the division now.

Think people underestimate the Turkish league too tbh.

Calista

Just watched his "highlights" video. 90% of them are him miscontrolling, diving, missing the target or taking the wrong option. Even his goals are mostly deflected and wouldn't go in against Championship GK's. Most insane signing in our history.

Prove me wrong Haji, prove me wrong!
Genuine question - can you post a link to these videos you've found? I've watched at least 3 from recent seasons and haven't seen any of the weaknesses you mentioned. In fact he's looked like a powerful, skilful and threatening attacker who scores some great goals. If he can reproduce what I've seen we are going to love him. Always the risk that he can't translate it to the Championship, but your negativity is crazy.

Finham

Genuine question - can you post a link to these videos you've found? I've watched at least 3 from recent seasons and haven't seen any of the weaknesses you mentioned. In fact he's looked like a powerful, skilful and threatening attacker who scores some great goals. If he can reproduce what I've seen we are going to love him. Always the risk that he can't translate it to the Championship, but your negativity is crazy.
Those at the start of this thread (although I realise you are being sarcastic). Sorry I've pissed you and everyone else off, I just think it's a huge gamble for that amount of money. I've said I really hope he proves me wrong, not sure what more people want.

San Francisco

Galatasaray and Fenerbahçe would routinely beat any team in the Championship. It's certainly an unbalanced league but it's not poor quality.

alexccfc99

Was actually very impressed with The States during the World Cup tbh

Users who are viewing this thread