Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (10 Viewers)

SBT

Really wasn’t bad at all tonight, got into some decent positions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This system appears to suit him better than two up top, but there’s no denying he was miles off it tonight

SBT

I did notice Robins applauding the fans for singing Wright’s name after his second half miss - I wonder how long that backing from the fans will last.

Offhegoes

Thought other than his glaring miss (I know that’s his job) he lead the line well tonight. Felt sorry for him, he looked like he wanted the ground to swallow him up.
I thought he did alright too. Some of his spins on the edge of the box were excellent. You can see his confidence is low.

AiS86

Agree, when were looking to go forward and need an option he's just stood flat footed never looks to bend a run or look for space, always wants it to feet, when he does run into space hes offside. Frustrating
Wants it to feet, yet was caught offside a few times when making a run off the defenders shoulder?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

His best moment of the game was when it took him about 30 seconds to realise he was being subbed off because he was too busy staring at the ground.
He was having another power nap.

junglej13

I think Wright switches off for long periods when the ball isn't near him. He's happy to stand marking an opposition player on the edge of the their box when the opposition are launching a sudden attack. He doesn't seem to understand the basics about finding space or working hard off the ball.

Agree, when were looking to go forward and need an option he's just stood flat footed never looks to bend a run or look for space, always wants it to feet, when he does run into space hes offside. Frustrating

Got no problem with him missing chances and he was at least involved in the first half but the two points above are my greater concern. 9 times out of 10 he offers absolutely no run or out ball which prevents us getting forward quickly. Doesn't seem to have any movement for a striker. I know they are very different players but Godden comes on and his movement puts Wright to shame.

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Got no problem with him missing chances and he was at least involved in the first half but the two points above are my greater concern. 9 times out of 10 though he offers absolutely no run or out ball which prevents us getting forward quickly. Doesn't seem to have any movement for a striker. I know they are very different players but Godden comes on and his movement puts Wright to shame.
He doesn't seem to understand or care about drawing a defender with him by doing a diagonal run etc off the ball to allow space for another player to move in . It's not rocket science. It's what should be instinctive to some degree.

SeaSeeEffCee

He doesn't seem to understand or care about drawing a defender with him by doing a diagonal run etc off the ball to allow space for another player to move in . It's not rocket science. It's what should be instinctive to some degree.
It was genuinely quite funny how often he was just standing offside for absolutely no reason.

Ashdown

People need to watch that match again in full. Wright spent most of the game trying to hide amongst the Albion defenders or straying offside but when it was laid on a plate for him he was dreadful. His movement to create space is woeful. I honestly think Simms would be better in that one up top role and that’s saying something.

SBAndy

Interesting many are picking up his lack of movement. Thought he moved plenty far earlier on in moves, as if he wanted a direct ball. When it works to the edge of the box, as we did a million times, he didn’t really offer anything. Watched the chances back and the main one everyone’s speaking about wasn’t particularly an easy chance but he has to hit the target. Of more concern was the first half chance where it’s come to him for a first time finish on the edge of the 6 yard box and he’s put it well wide.

shmmeee

Interesting many are picking up his lack of movement. Thought he moved plenty far earlier on in moves, as if he wanted a direct ball. When it works to the edge of the box, as we did a million times, he didn’t really offer anything. Watched the chances back and the main one everyone’s speaking about wasn’t particularly an easy chance but he has to hit the target. Of more concern was the first half chance where it’s come to him for a first time finish on the edge of the 6 yard box and he’s put it well wide.

He didn’t? It was saved.

TomRad85

Yeh I agree, I thought his movement was actually fine, it's the finishing that was the problem. Clearly a confidence thing and its going to take some turning around now. None of our strikers look the answer atm.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

stupot07

I agree with that, he was always on the move but wanted the ball much earlier. We delay, delay, delay, pass. Then he's offside or the pass is no longer on. Even when we get it wide, we take an age to get the ball in

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

CCFC54321

We can go on about formations and tactics and the Eccles corners and the price of ham etc etc but it's been a dreadful piece of recruitment for £7.7m and he simply isn't good enough and we have accept that and not keep looking for reasons and over analyse it too much.

Good players can play in any formations or show ability. Walking home last night i was reflecting and if we had simply recruited better with a couple of half decent forwards we would have won that game or worse case got a draw. The performance at times was good but we have to start again in the close season and move on and try and claw back as much as possible from Wright and Simms and do better next time.

Thing is if YOU was Doug King would you have confidence in the recruitment? I know what i'd be thinking.

Last edited:

jordan210

Wright is lacking confidence.

I do think he needs to be stronger. He is a big lad with pace and should be bullying defenders.

He reminds me of Vik when we had him on loan. But not a physical.

Vik had the luxury of Hamer and COH playing ball to him. Where atm our midfield looks lost.

Greggs

I'll say it, he looked twice the player last night playing up on his own, almost Bakayoko-esque. Just the confidence needed to finish his chances and he might yet still be a player for us.

Users who are viewing this thread