Godden (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2477
  • Start date

87 n all that

Good point I do still think at least one comes in
That’s the spirit. Big run of games now and whoever’s picked has to produce. I’d want 4-5 players in but I know that is being beyond even unreasonable. I’d accept an attacking player (no 10 type) who can also play right midfield if needed.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Not at all you are obviously very knowledgeable - great bit of info. Reading the Coventry live article today it sounds like it could stretch into months.
Very kind of you, but I fall into that sphere where a bit of knowledge and all that. Don’t want to mislead, any knowledge I have is based on unfortunate personal experiences (although never had PF) and maybe having nurses / doctors in the family! I do have plenty of personal experience of myofascial issues, but not in the foot. And rollers, sports massage and suchlike really do help (any gym regulars take heed, muscle pain is often a fascial issue if it isn’t a strain or tear and pressure on the painful spot helps release it).

Yeah, them saying it could be months makes me think they know a bit more than they’re letting on. Maybe he has a tear of the fascia or other damage... Doesn’t sound great reading the telegraph, fingers crossed it isn’t as bad as they fear and he’ll be back sooner rather than later as he’s such a key part of our team.

That said, we seem to have injuries to key players every season, and sometimes it works out ok in the end — whether because it forces a change in formation / tactics / players or because it galvanises the rest of the team to do it regardless. Not sure any of us would have picked Saturday’s team, but it didn’t work out too badly.

BornSlippySkyBlue

That’s the spirit. Big run of games now and whoever’s picked has to produce. I’d want 4-5 players in but I know that is being beyond even unreasonable. I’d accept an attacking player (no 10 type) who can also play right midfield if needed.
Personally think any hope of ‘a few’ additions is pie in the sky. One loan, if we’re lucky, and even that makes us heavy on loans. Hope I’m wrong.

chiefdave

They’ll be something for Jan. they would have budgeted for this.
That will very much depend what they have based the budget on. Was it prepared assuming BCDs all season, was it based on 25% capacity crowds Boddy said they were told would be allowed from 1st Oct or was it prepared assuming we'd have full crowds in by now?

Brighton Sky Blue

I think a raft of these long term injuries to key players makes it essential, whether or not she says yes, to ask Joy to put up a small boost to the budget to allow for reinforcements.

87 n all that

That will very much depend what they have based the budget on. Was it prepared assuming BCDs all season, was it based on 25% capacity crowds Boddy said they were told would be allowed from 1st Oct or was it prepared assuming we'd have full crowds in by now?
Doubt they’d assume full crowds would be in by now. Tv money perhaps. 4 games in 4 months on sky is a bit of wedge.

87 n all that

I think a raft of these long term injuries to key players makes it essential, whether or not she says yes, to ask Joy to put up a small boost to the budget to allow for reinforcements.
If she’s got any sense she’ll do it. Staying in this league is imperative for money and future build. Hopefully this time the morons will see it.

Brighton Sky Blue

If she’s got any sense she’ll do it. Staying in this league is imperative for money and future build. Hopefully this time the morons will see it.

It's not as though we've been massively frivolous with the budget and want to keep adding more to a bloated squad. Just really need to plug the gaps created by some pretty unfortunate injury problems

Grendel

You’re Kasta aren’t you? You wage stealing sneak. I spent £20 to see you score that beauty. I would tip you but you’ve done jack since.

Nah I’m Cody McDonald now go and change your underwear dongle

johnwillomagic

I don't think we will get many reinforcements in January whatsmore even though I like two up front we need it even less if MR persists with one up front which as it's worked can see him doing next few weeks rotating forward and midfielders at times.

I think Godden could be back in Dec/Jan anyway and if Walker stays injury free we will be fine he will start majority of the time with Baka and Biamou being also used on occasions when MR sees them best fit horses for courses.

Not sure how Max is getting loads of praise and Baka crucified at present tbh ,,,,,Max has missed point blank chances and passed to the Nottingham Forest player to lose the game.....a tap in from one yard does not change those things and Baka has not been as culpable this season.....I like them both tbh neither quite at the level and if push came to shove I'd have Baka over Biamou but let's get behind them both they will both be called upon and needed over coming months!

Sky Blue Harry H

If the worst happens, O'Hare or Bapaga could play as a second front man - not sure what Bapaga's stamina is like, but he's quick and tricky, and O'Hare will run all day long. We have plenty of midfield players, so for me, these 2 could be used as alternatives if we get stretched for forward players.

SkyBlueSam01

There’s a poster who is, I think, a physio which gave a fairly good summary somewhere (might even be this thread if I could be bothered to look!) but my layman’s understanding of it is that it is inflammation (...itis) of the fascia which is a membrane surrounding muscles. When you take the skin off a chicken breast the thin membrane underneath is the fascia, when this is damaged or inflamed (the plantar bit is the bottom of the foot) it can ‘snag’ on the surrounding muscle etc. “Myofascial release” is what a personal trainer taught me to do for that issue, with the foot you can roll a tennis ball around under the sole to help, but I imagine a pro sportsman will have some hands-on from the medical team. I think it can be one of those niggly ones, sometimes goes away reasonably quickly, but can take longer. So I’m not sure if they will know for sure how long.

Apologies if I’m repeating anything (haven’t read the whole thread) or if my limited knowledge is incorrect, but that’s my understanding of it.

A really good summary tbf!

Plantar fasciitis is really common and usually caused by overloading of the fascia (tough, ropelike material similar to tendons that is found all over the body, but in this case mostly helps maintain the arch of the foot which acts as a kind of suspension). PF is usually pretty manageable if caught early in athletes with manual therapy and strengthening.

I didn't see the injury happen but sounds like he suddenly injured it rather than hobbling about for a while as the pain came on?

Acute ruptures of the plantar fascia like this are pretty rare but can happen in athletes who have been playing on through plantar fasciitis, especially if they have had injections to numb the pain as these often impair the healing response... Not sure on timeframe if it is an acute rupture but I'd suspect a couple of months based on similar injuries elsewhere in the body, and the fact that it doesn't sound like a severe rupture.

BornSlippySkyBlue

A really good summary tbf!

Plantar fasciitis is really common and usually caused by overloading of the fascia (tough, ropelike material similar to tendons that is found all over the body, but in this case mostly helps maintain the arch of the foot which acts as a kind of suspension). PF is usually pretty manageable if caught early in athletes with manual therapy and strengthening.

I didn't see the injury happen but sounds like he suddenly injured it rather than hobbling about for a while as the pain came on?

Acute ruptures of the plantar fascia like this are pretty rare but can happen in athletes who have been playing on through plantar fasciitis, especially if they have had injections to numb the pain as these often impair the healing response... Not sure on timeframe if it is an acute rupture but I'd suspect a couple of months based on similar injuries elsewhere in the body, and the fact that it doesn't sound like a severe rupture.
Yeah, you’re the one! Thanks. It sounds like he did it landing on his foot, I guess we don’t know if he was playing with it anyway.

Do they still use (cortisone?) injections in atheletes? Thought it was generally considered to cause an increased risk of soft tissue damage (at least that’s why they won’t give me any more), which you’d think was the last thing they’d want. I know some doctors are quite against steroid injections, for those reasons and limit the number you can have to 3 or so (depending on where it is and why).

I guess it’s a matter of needs must sometimes, but given the amount of injuries players seem to be getting this season in particular you’d think they would avoid ‘sticking plasters’ that could create longer-term injuries. But then I’m not a sports physio or doctor 🤷‍♂️

SkyBlueSam01

Yeah, you’re the one! Thanks. It sounds like he did it landing on his foot, I guess we don’t know if he was playing with it anyway.

Do they still use (cortisone?) injections in atheletes? Thought it was generally considered to cause an increased risk of soft tissue damage (at least that’s why they won’t give me any more), which you’d think was the last thing they’d want. I know some doctors are quite against steroid injections, for those reasons and limit the number you can have to 3 or so (depending on where it is and why).

I guess it’s a matter of needs must sometimes, but given the amount of injuries players seem to be getting this season in particular you’d think they would avoid ‘sticking plasters’ that could create longer-term injuries. But then I’m not a sports physio or doctor 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I'm not a fan of cortisone injections at all personally, it essentially blocks inflammation which is key to tissue healing, and there is a movement in the medical profession to let the body get on and do its thing with the healing response, rather than suppressing it.

It all comes from trying to treat the symptoms of something (pain and inflammation) rather than the actual underlying problem!

Pro teams are using cortisone less and less too but sometimes things like lidocaine are used to numb the area rather than reduce inflammation, although this comes with its own risks obviously!

Irish Sky Blue

I'd be surprised if any lower league teams were interested in our players in January. I have a relative who works in the lower leagues and he tells me that the financial situation at his club is desperate. I think that is probably the situation at most League 1 and 2 clubs.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Yeah I'm not a fan of cortisone injections at all personally, it essentially blocks inflammation which is key to tissue healing, and there is a movement in the medical profession to let the body get on and do its thing with the healing response, rather than suppressing it.

It all comes from trying to treat the symptoms of something (pain and inflammation) rather than the actual underlying problem!

Pro teams are using cortisone less and less too but sometimes things like lidocaine are used to numb the area rather than reduce inflammation, although this comes with its own risks obviously!
Hadn’t really considered local anaesthesia but can think of many reasons why numbing the pain caused by an injury enough to allow someone to ignore it could be problematic! I mean, it hurts for a reason, right?!

Let’s just hope it’s not as bad as feared, we need him back!

BornSlippySkyBlue

I'd be surprised if any lower league teams were interested in our players in January. I have a relative who works in the lower leagues and he tells me that the financial situation at his club is desperate. I think that is probably the situation at most League 1 and 2 clubs.
Aren’t we paying the wages of the ones currently on loan (like Drysdale)? They might be interested, but I doubt they’ll be paying their wages.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Most chairmen predicted that funds would completely run out by the Christmas period and from conversations I've had with friends/people within my network who work in clubs, they've confirmed many are now running on fumes.

I expect the January transfer window to be very quiet for EFL clubs.

shmmeee

Well yeah, but if Marosi and Wilson got injured we'd be fucked.

If O'Hare and Shipley got injured we'd be fucked.

If Giles and Mccallum got injured we'd be fucked.

Injuries happen, unfortunately we don't have the budget to have 25 good Championship level players, we have some good Champ players and some good League One players.

I think people are too unrealistic as to how good they expect our backup players to be. We simply don't have the budget to have 4 quality strikers just in case 2 of them get injured.

Dabo and Dacosta got injured, we were fucked.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Striker in January is a must,I said pre season our success will be down to Godden and if we keep him fit luckily I think walker is Gonna be ok for us this season but we need another

If Godden is still struggling we'd look at a loan, which might suit PL clubs if they'd likely be 1st or 2nd choice. Can't see us actually signing anyone permanently.

cc84cov

Getting the correct loan in jan could be the difference between staying up and going down,Luton signed a young lad from Spurs last season defender who certainly made a difference

D

Deleted member 11652

Getting the correct loan in jan could be the difference between staying up and going down,Luton signed a young lad from Spurs last season defender who certainly made a difference

Cameron Carter Vickers who happened to be awful at Stoke prior to January and hasn’t made an appearance for Bournemouth this year. Imagine the meltdown if we were Luton.

TomRad85

We always seem to miss local non league talent. Would like us to keep an eye on Sam Osborne at Leamington. Looks promising.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread