Transfer Rumour Godden off to Derby? (1 Viewer)

Johnnythespider

Largely agree with most comments here.
However, in fairness to Godden - he was more ineffective because everything was built around Vik who was becoming increasingly selfish. I know that selfishness is considered a good thing for a striker, but Vik was arguably too selfish. You could see Godden getting exasperated.

I’d be letting Godden go for £300k - £400k+. Largely due to injury record. When fit, he’s still got a lot to offer. However, he’ll be 32 in a couple weeks and has had injuries.
I've only looked back 3 years but Vik had more assists last season than Godden has over the three seasons, nothing selfish about that.

ExmouthNeil

I'm happy if he goes...
His work is done here.
Brilliant goals and contribution to our rising during his time here but we can't count on him being available all season due to his injury record...
Great goals, great record...

Go smash it in league 1😉

Seaside-Skyblue

I think with a link player between midfield and forwards, we will again get the best out of Godden. We lost this with O'hare and Palmer's injuries and resorted to playing more direct to Vik. If we're going back to how we used to play with high press, then I'd love to see us keep Godden. It's hard to look past his injuries but he seems like a great character too and technical ability alone of a squad isn't generally quite enough, you need the right mix of personalities in the team too - which is also where players like Kelly add value with leadership / calmness for example.

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

Great_Expectations

Wasn’t expecting a potential move away for Godden.

For footballing reasons I wouldn’t be too disappointed if he left. Appreciate his contribution was restricted by the way we set up to play through Vik last year, but he’s definitely been a passenger way too many times this season.

For sentimental and continuity reasons I’d be disappointed to see him go. His passion for the club is massive and he’s been a big part of the journey. He’s one of the more influential dressing room figures too and gets how we work.

I’d also caveat that it depends on cost and who we have lined up to replace him. Anything above £750,000 is a good deal.

If not he’s a good option off the bench and I’d happily keep him around.

South West Sky Blue

I've only looked back 3 years but Vik had more assists last season than Godden has over the three seasons, nothing selfish about that.
He did have several assists. A very credible amount. No-one can argue with the stats, but when you watch games - particularly this season, he became increasingly selfish.
Stats are a good start, but not everything. There were loads of times when Godden was throwing his hands in the air in frustration at not being picked out - and I have slightly more sympathy for him than Gok.
Again, not a big criticism of Gok coz strikers need to be selfish at times.

The Birmingham penalty left a sour impression on me, so has maybe coloured my opinion.

Jamieb87ccfc

Don’t see Godden going, always chips I’m with 8-12 goals even though injury prone. Him coming on for Allen at half time in the final changed the game and gave us more outlet. Robins won’t want too many changes as there is a good atmosphere in the squad and won’t want to interrupt that too much.

Sick Boy

Don’t see Godden going, always chips I’m with 8-12 goals even though injury prone. Him coming on for Allen at half time in the final changed the game and gave us more outlet. Robins won’t want too many changes as there is a good atmosphere in the squad and won’t want to interrupt that too much.
Robins has been ruthless in the past; if he sees a chance to improve the squad and move on fans’ favourites he will do.

Last edited:

Warwickhunt

Don’t think we will get a lot for Godden from Derby! They ain’t got a pot to piss in and still use Izal toilet roll in the bogs? However as a make weight in a transfer I can see being an option thoigh

Offhegoes

Godden had to play an unfamiliar role last season , basically being a foil for Vik due to injuries to O’Hare, Palmer and then Allen.
He's a fox in the box, with excellent technical ability whose game is based on clever runs in and around the box. We just did not have the persononel available to play to his strengths. Despite this, he put a shift in, and was clearly passionate for the cause.
I'd be a little disappointed if he was moved on. He may not be a starter, but would be a great choice to bring on in the last 20 mins of games where we need a goal.
I have not doubt Robins is looking for another striker (to play alongside Simms), and will settle for Godden (or Sharp) and Tavares as the back up strikers. Whether this is Yates or the Dutch forward remains to be seen.

Sick Boy

Godden had to play an unfamiliar role last season , basically being a foil for Vik due to injuries to O’Hare, Palmer and then Allen.
He's a fox in the box, with excellent technical ability whose game is based on clever runs in and around the box. We just did not have the persononel available to play to his strengths. Despite this, he put a shift in, and was clearly passionate for the cause.
I'd be a little disappointed if he was moved on. He may not be a starter, but would be a great choice to bring on in the last 20 mins of games where we need a goal.
I have not doubt Robins is looking for another striker (to play alongside Simms), and will settle for Godden (or Sharp) and Tavares as the back up strikers. Whether this is Yates or the Dutch forward remains to be seen.
At this stage of his career Godden may also want to be guaranteed first team football. Tavares should 100% be sent out on load for his own sake.

Last edited:

Grendel

Tavares isn’t good enough to be an option

Skybluedownunder

Agree good player, but not better than what we have, at £2million they have to be better

If we end up selling Hamer to Leeds or Fulham he would have been a good signing.
Id say he’s better than Kelly and also has a resale value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamieb87ccfc

We can’t afford to lose Gyokores and his goals and Godden and his goals in one window. We then become too reliant on Simms and potentially Vente (if we get him) Godden is injury prone yes but can score and will get us 8-12 in an injury hit season and as he did in the final can change a game. So if he stays fit could get more. It’s a lot of goals to lose from a side in one window when stability is required if we want to try and push again.
Not being negative here but think we need to hold the basis of the team together, there is a good team spirit and camaraderie. Hope Simms smashes it, I worry about the step up if we bring Vente in and think Sharp is passed it.

Grendel

We can’t afford to lose Gyokores and his goals and Godden and his goals in one window. We then become too reliant on Simms and potentially Vente (if we get him) Godden is injury prone yes but can score and will get us 8-12 in an injury hit season and as he did in the final can change a game. So if he stays fit could get more. It’s a lot of goals to lose from a side in one window when stability is required if we want to try and push again.
Not being negative here but think we need to hold the basis of the team together, there is a good team spirit and camaraderie. Hope Simms smashes it, I worry about the step up if we bring Vente in and think Sharp is passed it.

We will have 8 to 10 new players regardless

Users who are viewing this thread