Transfer Rumour Godden off to Derby? (1 Viewer)

Ccfcisparks

I heard @Evo1883 is currently clearing some space in his basement.
Oh No Reaction GIF by Rockstar Games

Grendel

If we can get nearly £1m for him, it would be a good move. I think he'd do very well at a big League 1 club.

he’s only got one year left so I doubt we’d get a huge fee - he’d get an extended deal there and would suit league 1 so it does in theory make sense

TomRad85

If SISU were still here my thinking would be he's being forced out to scrape some change together. As it is now I'm assuming it would be Robins' decision and he thinks he can bring in better, so more than ok with it.
Also think it would be a good move for both him and Derby.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

pusbccfc

he’s only got one year left so I doubt we’d get a huge fee - he’d get an extended deal there and would suit league 1 so it does in theory make sense

Even if it was a similar fee to what we paid for him originally, it's not big money for a player who's pretty certain to score goals.

Easy to forget he started the last 5/6 games for us last season as a team in the play offs. I feel we'd be in a strong position to demand a good fee.

slowpoke

It sure in the truth in this but we are in for another striker maybe two so from Goddens point of view he probably wouldn’t be happy with his arse on the bench on a regular basis and from the clubs point of view getting a few bob in for him at 31 would be good business.

Danceswithhorses

I can see the logic in this, for both Cov and Derby.
They lost top scorer McGoldrick, so Godden seems a decent choice, but personally, i don't want to see Derby improve and get promoted.

covcity4life

No thanks I’d rather keep Godden around we cant change the whole team that could end up being catastrophic, need some players that have been around for a bit to keep the same same sort of energy. And also he’s a good finisher and could be useful off the bench for the last half an hour as he was in the play off final
He missed big chances in final that could have sent us to prem? Lol just saying

Hincha

Interesting. Didn’t expect that.

Would make sense for Godden to look elsewhere if it looks like he’s not going to get many minutes this year. Derby probably the right fit too.

Although he played his part in the play off run I don’t think he is involved enough in Championship games if we want to make sustained runs at promotion. Would only want him as 4th striker next year, which I assume he wouldn’t be happy with.

mmttww

Need to keep some players around that built the group in to what it is, but if MR feels like Godden is peripheral in that respect, fine. Sad to see him go, mind.

skyblue025

Don't understand why we would sell a goal scorer proven at this level. Even if he's 3rd choice, which he isn't currently, i'd keep him. His goals to minutes ratio is excellent.

no_loyalty

If Godden’s injury record wasn’t so poor I would definitely keep him, but if Derby are willing to pay £400k to £500k for him it would be a good deal.

chiefdave

We start every season saying 'if Golden can stay fit' and he doesn't. For me if we keep him or not entirely depends on who else is coming in. We need squad depth, every player can't be a guaranteed starter.

fatso

At that price, you'd keep him. Surely?
Maybe he wants regular first team football, and he knows he isn't guaranteed it here with Simms arriving and rumours of others on their way.

It would be a big decision to let him leave, as someone like Simms could learn a lot from him, and he'd be a great player to have on the bench if your chasing a game.

larry_david

Godden has a great record with us and was an inspired signing. And if he were 5 years younger he'd be an asset.

But, if we are being brutally and truthfully honest with ourselves, the last year or so he's got slower, weaker and his finishing hasn't been as clinical as in the past. There have been many games he's been a passenger.

In my eyes, as much as I've loved his contributions on the journey, if we really are serious about promotion, then Godden is replaceable.

And even though he's trusted by MR, MR isn't afraid of being ruthless.

Deity

Maybe Robins saw what we all saw in the run in …. Godden worked hard but was largely ineffective and the top end championship teams found him easy to nullify.

we know Robins is loyal but he’s also prepared to calm time when he thinks we need better …

Happy_Martian

Linked by Nixon today.

And therein is the problem. Nixon is a high profile reporter of transfers but they've been further and further from reality as time has gone on. It shows in his Billy Sharp rumour, a guy who has said he would never play for Derby and Nixon has him linked in this story.

And while Godden isn't as prolific as he used to be through injury or playing in Viks shadow, he is still a better option than Sharp in our squad and the style we play.

Users who are viewing this thread