George Floyd (2 Viewers)

clint van damme

Complete bollocks on both counts. So how come I have all the time in the world for the likes of Mo Salah , Troy Deeney , Vincent Company and have great regard for Dion Dublin etc ? They're black or of mixed race or not "white" . How do you work that out?
Is it possible to dislike someone of black ethnicity on the grounds of something other than race ? You don't seem to think so. I can dislike Craig Bellend for a host of reasons but if he's a black person i must be racist.
Oh dear .

I said not all abuse aimed at Sterling was racially motivated in a previous post.

However in the comments you've quoted I was referring to journalists and in particular the responsible for the sterling and Barkley articles.

Now I Can't prove categorically that the Sterling article was motivated by racism but I suspect it was.
However I think I'm on fairly solid ground saying it about the Barclay one seen as McKenzie referred to him as a gorilla and got sacked for it.

D

Deleted member 4439

The problem I have with that editorial is that it acknowledges in various places why stop and search should be so high amongst black youth in the capital yet puts the blame solely on police tactics and the need for change in police leadership - rather than more positively campaign for the social structures we can look to put in place to stop crime amongst youth.

Glasgow looks to be a great example, yet is simply referred to as to why the police need to change, rather than how we need to change a certain culture that has developed in our youth.

As usual, the Guardian plays into victimhood rather than create a forum for open debate.

edit: further reading around suggests that the apparent policy success with tackling the socio-economics behind the old firm gangs of Glasgow and surrounding areas has taken a step back.

Scotland's knife crime exposed in shock stats - and it's bad news for Glasgow

How Glasgow lost its tag as Britain's knife crime capital | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:

David O'Day

The problem I have with that editorial is that it acknowledges in various places why stop and search should be so high amongst black youth in the capital yet puts the blame solely on police tactics and the need for change in police leadership - rather than more positively campaign for the social structures we can look to put in place to stop crime amongst youth.

Glasgow looks to be a great example, yet is simply referred to as to why the police need to change, rather than how we need to change a certain culture that has developed in our youth.

As usual, the Guardian plays into victimhood rather than create a forum for open debate.

Cool story bro - goodbye

D

Deleted member 4439

Any other cunts with sick ideas like to out themselves so I can ignore them?

Wow, that's just stupid, and actually quite offensive on a number of levels. My equally kneejerk reaction would be to say nice example of cancel culture, but that's equally as bad position as those doing the cancelling.* To be clear, it's about changing policing - that need for change is recognised - but also about understanding what the focus should be rather than 'stop policing'.

In fact, this is what on a more subtle level the 'defund the police' campaign is about but gets lost in such reactions, on both sides.

*edit: I'd encourage people to watch Inaya Forlain Iman today's episode (4) of the beeb's Sunday Morning Live. Absolutely spot on, including other issues even closer to my heart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Any other cunts with sick ideas like to out themselves so I can ignore them?
So let's get this clear. You are wanting people to say something really outrageous so you can put them on ignore. Wow, watch me, watch me jump up and down screaming like a baby .
Have you been wearing a soiled nappy all night long and no one has bothered to change it ?

Last edited:

clint van damme

I’m not at all part of those buying into the ‘defund the bbc’ campaign, but I have seen clear examples of fake news and agenda-setting. I don’t necessarily think the agenda-setting is always intentional – it’s equally likely born out of the trepidation of individuals in fear of losing their job and income. There was a good debate this morning around cancel culture this morning in which there was again example of this. The piece begins at 22.15.

BBC iPlayer - Sunday Morning Live - Series 11: Episode 4

At around 26.30, the interviewer asks where we are in danger of “trying people in the court of public people with the application of context”. The journalist in the panel uses JK Rowling’s position on the trans-identity debate as an example as to why people like JKR need to be ‘shut down’. Here is a cis-gendered woman claiming to articulate and represent the position of trans-people, when her exposure to this group will only be those belonging to the alt-left. She doesn’t at all represent my ‘community’, and I’d rather she didn’t. Sadly, she cannot appreciate that in fact she is harming me.

But moving on to the point, following Inaya Iman’s countering of the point, the presenter than presents a powerful question to another member of the panel: “Some people say that the time for talking is past, and that just talking has got us nowhere. Is this a kind of internet revolution, is it a violent, reshaping of the public’s imagination do you think, or is it just sinister?

Ok, the end bit was a bit clumsy, but the presenter is asking, is cancel culture a necessary and constructive tool in a change for the better, or does it play to an agenda that seeks to control the debate?

The panel member asks for clarification, the presenter seems to check herself and then replaces the question with “Let me put it differently. Is this a way the status quo is protected, by the people in power saying, we’re not going to listen to you because you’re behaving badly. If you pulling our statues down we’re not going to listen to you”.

There.

why have you put that in this thread?

clint van damme

Because I perceived what I thought was a good example of such culture on this forum. Perhaps we should move your and mine's post to the Things that Annot You thread:)

ah right, I wasn't sure what you were driving at.
I'm not sure ignoring someone can be classed as cancelling someone. And I say that as someone who has got nobody on ignore.
I've said a few times on here that the free speech debate needs its own thread. Though I'll let someone else open that particular can of worms!

D

Deleted member 4439

ah right, I wasn't sure what you were driving at.
I'm not sure ignoring someone can be classed as cancelling someone. And I say that as someone who has got nobody on ignore.
I've said a few times on here that the free speech debate needs its own thread. Though I'll let someone else open that particular can of worms!

Let's do it!

I don't at all take the benefit of having the poster ignore me as an issue, but I do think it's a sign of cancel culture behaviour when nothing that has been said has been personally directed, or is foul or extreme. It was the apparent lack of want/desire to have a reasoned debate about how we might tackle the 'police issue'.

Grendel

Let's do it!

I don't at all take the benefit of having the poster ignore me as an issue, but I do think it's a sign of cancel culture behaviour when nothing that has been said has been personally directed, or is foul or extreme. It was the apparent lack of want/desire to have a reasoned debate about how we might tackle the 'police issue'.

To be fair his ignore policy is a strange one as he then replies to anything you then say about him

Alan Dugdales Moustache

To be fair his ignore policy is a strange one as he then replies to anything you then say about him
He's basically a knob . Whether he's black, Asian , a.n.other or just a plain old white knob is difficult to know.
Today, no doubt , he'll be an Ulster Orangeknob. Tomorrow he'll be Gerry Adams again. After that, who knows?

Last edited:

Marty

Absolutely crazy, that's obviously come from his parents. Imagine bringing up a child to think like that.

Tin hat firmly on here, but that 'coon flakes' pic always makes me smile.

RegTheDonk

Wow, that's just stupid, and actually quite offensive on a number of levels. My equally kneejerk reaction would be to say nice example of cancel culture, but that's equally as bad position as those doing the cancelling.* To be clear, it's about changing policing - that need for change is recognised - but also about understanding what the focus should be rather than 'stop policing'.

In fact, this is what on a more subtle level the 'defund the police' campaign is about but gets lost in such reactions, on both sides.

*edit: I'd encourage people to watch Inaya Forlain Iman today's episode (4) of the beeb's Sunday Morning Live. Absolutely spot on, including other issues even closer to my heart.
Don't take it personally. Anybody who isn't anti "dibble" isn't on the same page as David.

clint van damme

and we all made mistakes when we were young.
I hope the legacy of this doesn't stay with him for the rest of his life but the lesson learnt does.
Hopefully gets a thick ear, a grounding a realises what a prick he's been.
If he still feels like this when he's 20 hope he gets a fucking leathering.

Ring Of Steel

Club historian Jim Brown retweeted this. I assume in support of the tone. Apologies if I am wrong. I find it very sickly.

Jim Brown has a track record of retweeting this kind of thing, he went through a phase of sticking lots of anti-immigration posts up as well. Don’t like the man for that reason.

He’s got one up claiming that BLM just defaced the statues of West Ham players outside Upton Park, which is promptly and immediately debunked right below (it was Chelsea fans and was from 2015), Jim still puts it out there though.

rob9872

That's really disappointing and if I'm honest surprising too. Whilst I enjoy some of his stats, I'm shocked that anyone with such a monotone voice as his, has any opinions on anything.

clint van damme

Jim Brown has a track record of retweeting this kind of thing, he went through a phase of sticking lots of anti-immigration posts up as well. Don’t like the man for that reason.

He’s got one up claiming that BLM just defaced the statues of West Ham players outside Upton Park, which is promptly and immediately debunked right below (it was Chelsea fans and was from 2015), Jim still puts it out there though.

for a man known for recanting facts and statistics you have to think he's got an agenda posting shit like that - the daft racist.

NorthernWisdom

It just seems very odd given the environment he's in!

Even more stupid as if the statue tweet is wrong, not only does retweeting it play into a certain agenda, but it casts doubt on his rigour when checking facts, so bang goes his credibility as club historian.

One for the cancel culture thread maybe ;)

wingy

He's ancient isn't he?
But I'm not far off.
Ingrained attitudes from a different epoch?
Or does he posess that attitude?
There once was a Council though.

NorthernWisdom

He's ancient isn't he?
But I'm not far off.
Ingrained attitudes from a different epoch?
Or does he posess that attitude?
There once was a Council though.
It's more the 'how do you think this will look in the current situation to a section of your fan base and a section of the players' question that only has one answer really.

If we want to make it local, what if it was Dabo getting those messages? Would he share the same sentiment?

Users who are viewing this thread