George Floyd (4 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

I went to a few anti Nazi league marches and events when I was younger (still at school)
I was strongly anti racist but I'll be honest it always used to kick off with the NF and for lads of our age out was a great laugh.

There were real issues with racism back then and you may tell me different and I'll accept that but I think things did get better for a long time (not perfect but better).
I think we've hurled backwards in the last few years and it pissed me off. Life throws up enough shit as it is without this silly ignorant bollocks looming over society
I think it was always there but social media has made it both more visible and given people with those views the confidence to air them.

hill83

There were real issues with racism back then and you may tell me different and I'll accept that but I think things did get better for a long time (not perfect but better).
I think we've hurled backwards in the last few years and it pissed me off. Life throws up enough shit as it is without this silly ignorant bollocks looming over society

I wasn’t around back then and as stated before I don’t really have to deal with direct racism myself and I surround myself with people I like that aren’t like that. But it’s better now than the 70s/80s according to my mum and for her at least doesn’t seem to be getting any worse. But again she surrounds herself with people who aren’t like that. So in summary I don’t know.

The internet is a blessing and a curse though. We have a voice now. I’m sat in my garden speaking to 30 people about my life experience right now. A blessing.
The curse is so can racists. (Not in my garden though thankfully)

Ian1779

I think it was always there but social media has made it both more visible and given people with those views the confidence to air them.
With people like Trump in charge they feel empowered. The Brexit vote did something similar here in the UK albeit not on the same scale - (it also took away from people that wanted to leave the EU but were not of this nature)

hill83

Not having to have a conversation at age 5 about potential racism and how to deal with it and why you’ve never seen or talked to your great grandad as he disowned your grandmother when she married your grandad is a white privilege.

Half joking, but I remember these conversations. People cry about ’identity politics’ but it’s not us who started it.

I’ll leave it now anyway. I’ll be back after a few beers tonight no doubt.

Last edited:

BodicoteSkyBlue

It’s a thoroughly depressing world we live in at times. I can remember as a naive young man watching the LA riots after Rodney King was mercilessly beaten by the police, & thinking this is so wrong. Here we are so many years later still doing the same shit.

skybluetony176

It’s a thoroughly depressing world we live in at times. I can remember as a naive young man watching the LA riots after Rodney King was mercilessly beaten by the police, & thinking this is so wrong. Here we are so many years later still doing the same shit.
Yep, almost 30 years and nothing seems to have changed.

Liquid Gold

The US police force in many states was formed using men that were previously employed as slave catchers. You could say the mentality hasn't changed in 150 years.

shmmeee

I went to a few anti Nazi league marches and events when I was younger (still at school)
I was strongly anti racist but I'll be honest it always used to kick off with the NF and for lads of our age out was a great laugh.

Some of the shit I’ve heard out loud the last few years shocks me.

I remember not really witnessing racism as a small kid, went to Hearsall and had lots of Asian mates (don’t think there were any black kids at all), then when I went to Alderman Callow for secondary being shocked by the stuff I’d hear about “pa*is”, I didn’t even think of there being a difference any more than I would hair or eye colour. But the outright racism in the early 90s was obvious. That seemed to improve as the decade went on and people I knew that would be racist openly stopped saying anything.

Last few years (hesitant to say since Brexit but it feels that way), I’ve been hearing more and more open racism from people. I’m not sure if it is Brexit as I think the far right stuff on YouTube is far more responsible. Stuff that starts out anti-SJW or anti-Islam and quickly leads to shit like general islamophobia, misogyny, nationalism, “race realism” and the like.

Last edited:

RegTheDonk

What is pretty galling is watching a group of social inadequate white kids jump on this tragic issue to express their violent tendencies in the only way they can. Destroying black communities in the process. Over privileged emotionally repressed pricks
I think there are many who are using this as an excuse to go on the rampage. Peaceful protests, voting in Mayors and Police Chiefs that promise to make a difference, that's the way forward. Burning and looting ... no wonder they're being shot at.

Liquid Gold

I think there are many who are using this as an excuse to go on the rampage. Peaceful protests, voting in Mayors and Police Chiefs that promise to make a difference, that's the way forward. Burning and looting ... no wonder they're being shot at.
Peaceful protests have been going on for years and nothing has happened. Districts are heavily gerrymandered to suppress the black vote.
Next.

RegTheDonk

You're a good egg LG so I don't think you're trying to justify the violence that's going on. Nothing will ever change going down this route, the US carry guns and unlike our Poll Tax riots, won't back down to these tactics. Looking at the mayhem, there are loads of white people joining in, throwing bricks. Surely these are people who would now vote for change, or be prepared to join in boycotts, strike action etc?

I don't doubt this gerrymandering so am surprised they were able to elect a black president. Took time but that was folks at the ballot boxes, not torching buildings.

Nick

Administrator
You weren’t bothered about social distancing when you wanted to go to a football match but now people are losing their shit after years of watching people being murdered it’s important?
I didn't say it was important in the grand scheme of things. Have a look at those at downing Street as well.

The copper should be sent down for murder, nothing less.

Skybluefaz

Darragh MacAnthony has retweeted this. No condemnation of the killing of George Floyd, no standing in solidarity with BLM. Just this. Guy is a real piece of shit.

The coventrian

You weren’t bothered about social distancing when you wanted to go to a football match but now people are losing their shit after years of watching people being murdered it’s important?
You lefties didn't seem that bothered yesterday about social distancing during your half arsed protest tbf.

The coventrian

Glorifying and supporting antifa is a bit like someone coming on here and praising the EDL, almost certainly worse actually.

I try and debate reasonably on here, but some of the hypocrisy from the left is absolutely staggering.

ANTIFA? Are you fucking serious!?
The yanks have form for this kind of brutality. I'm shocked it still goes on in the year 2020. As for antifa,just a bunch of middle class jelly babies who are more facist than anyone else.

Liquid Gold

Why do you assume that anyone who is against racism is a leftie? Are you implying that anyone who supports Johnson and co is a racist?
I don't think we should engage him to be honest, the guy isn't bothered about the murder of black people and wants to make it about his dislike of other peoples politics.

The coventrian

Anyway,I'm not arguing with the usual suspects on here as itll derail the thread.
I hope the copper that done this is banged up for a very long time and is reminded every day about the crime he's committed.

The coventrian

I don't think we should engage him to be honest, the guy isn't bothered about the murder of black people and wants to make it about his dislike of other peoples politics.
No,I'm bothered about the murder of innocent people regardless of their skin colour. You obviously aren't.
Your post was Very telling wasnt it the way it was worded.

Gazolba

The Governor of Phoenix, Arizona (we're a long way from Minneapolis) has declared a curfew from 8pm till 5am due to the civil disturbances occuring here.
The good news is we get to leave work early. We have to be out by 4pm.

Users who are viewing this thread