George Floyd (7 Viewers)

shmmeee

Said to my daughter and father in law that we have to start with under 7’s everyone else has made their minds up about everything

Give me the child until he is 7 and I will show you the man.

Ring Of Steel

So why mention the statue? If people regularly gathered around that to commemorate and celebrate racist activity, you would have a point that it's obviously something that needs addressing. I dare say most people haven't a clue who he is or what he stands for.

If you've got an issue with that or any other statue, why not take it up with whoever has the power to remove said statues/artifacts in a democratic and legal way.

As has been pointed out several times, the people of Bristol have been trying for years to get it removed, all attempts failed, in the end the thing was removed forcibly, and rightly so. And the people who refused to remove it, who also refused to alter the plaque have had to acknowledge their error (or more likely have been shamed into a reaction) by now saying they’re “committed to educating themselves” about systematic racism.

Grendel

As has been pointed out several times, the people of Bristol have been trying for years to get it removed, all attempts failed, in the end the thing was removed forcibly, and rightly so. And the people who refused to remove it, who also refused to alter the plaque have had to acknowledge their error (or more likely have been shamed into a reaction) by now saying they’re “committed to educating themselves” about systematic racism.

The mayor of Bristol said it was wrong to remove through non legitimate means

skybluetony176

The mayor of Bristol said it was wrong to remove through non legitimate means
He did. He also said this in the same interview

“we have a number of priorities in the city at the moment not least trying to face up to an £18million gap in our budget that we have been left with by national Government not funding us adequately for covid.”

Ring Of Steel

He did. He also said this in the same interview

“we have a number of priorities in the city at the moment not least trying to face up to an £18million gap in our budget that we have been left with by national Government not funding us adequately for covid.”

The feelings of the Mayor of Bristol, Marvin Rees, are pretty clear, and understandable, and correct.

“Mayor Marvin Rees said he felt no "sense of loss" after the controversial bronze statue of Edward Colston was pulled down and thrown into the harbour by protesters on Sunday. The statue of the prominent 17th Century slave trader has been a source of controversy in Bristol for many years. Home Secretary Priti Patel said the incident was "utterly disgraceful" and "it's not for mobs to tear down statues". Mr Rees said those comments showed an "absolute lack of understanding". He added the statue would be retrieved from the harbour "at some point" and it was likely to end up in a city museum.

“I think circumstances came to a head and people felt the need to take the statue down," Mr Rees said.

"I can't and won't pretend the statue of a slave trader in a city I was born and grew up in wasn't an affront to me and people like me.

"People in Bristol who don't want that statue in the middle of the city came together and it is my job to unite, hear those voices and hold those truths together for people for who that statue is a personal affront."

Last edited:

Grendel

The feelings of the Mayor of Bristol, Marvin Rees, are pretty clear, and understandable, and correct.

“Mayor Marvin Rees said he felt no "sense of loss" after the controversial bronze statue of Edward Colston was pulled down and thrown into the harbour by protesters on Sunday. The statue of the prominent 17th Century slave trader has been a source of controversy in Bristol for many years. Home Secretary Priti Patel said the incident was "utterly disgraceful" and "it's not for mobs to tear down statues". Mr Rees said those comments showed an "absolute lack of understanding". He added the statue would be retrieved from the harbour "at some point" and it was likely to end up in a city museum.

“I think circumstances came to a head and people felt the need to take the statue down," Mr Rees said.

"I can't and won't pretend the statue of a slave trader in a city I was born and grew up in wasn't an affront to me and people like me.

"People in Bristol who don't want that statue in the middle of the city came together and it is my job to unite, hear those voices and hold those truths together for people for who that statue is a personal affront."

He didn’t condone it and could have had I assume some say in having a more appropriate plaque - your obsession is very curious

RegTheDonk

Thanks for explaining the history of the Bristol statue and it's a shame that the authorities apparently refused to listen to the people of Bristol. Perhaps the people of Oxford will be more attentive now they know the potential consequences should the people of Oxford fancy similar unlawful action. What do you propose happens with that statue, seeings you've brought it up but still haven't answered my question?
edit sorry Oxford

David O'Day

Thanks for explaining the history of the Bristol statue and it's a shame that the authorities apparently refused to listen to the people of Bristol. Perhaps the people of Oxford will be more attentive now they know the potential consequences should the people of Oxford fancy similar unlawful action. What do you propose happens with that statue, seeings you've brought it up but still haven't answered my question?
edit sorry Oxford
It's not the local authority that aren't listening.

As has been stated it is listed by historic england and it is own by the Bristol Merchant Venturers who are still active.

This made it difficult for them.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

oakey

I have changed my mind about the Rhodes statue in Oxford. I previously believed the line that its history and should remain. Now I think it belongs inside the college, or in a museum with a full explanation.
People who are getting angry about the forced removal of a statue of someone they'd never heard of yesterday, who died 300 years ago - need to take a look in the mirror.

djr8369

Pissed off.

Just had a mate share some shitty “being white isn’t something to be guilty of” FB meme on our group chat.

I told him to stop being a lemon and no one is asking him to feel guilty. Someone else responds with “you’re being racist talking for black people, they can speak for themselves” and “if you want to speak for a minority only 14% of the world is white”.

I just went “OK buddy” and he started going on that I’m a snowflake and he might start fishing as he’s so good a bait.

What the fuck do you do with that? I just told him to stop being a pussy and stand by his shitty views rather than hiding behind “it’s a joke bro” when called out. But seriously what do you do with these twats that just go “lol only joking” when you pull them up. This guy is 40 FFS.

I’ve got a couple of mates a bit like this (mentioned earlier in the thread how one seems to think most minorities don’t think racism exists??). Another is now panicking about history being erased because “diversity trumps everything”, I mean wtf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmmeee

I’ve got a couple of mates a bit like this (mentioned earlier in the thread how one seems to think most minorities don’t think racism exists??). Another is now panicking about history being erased because “diversity trumps everything”, I mean wtf?

I ended up leaving my group chat, the guy got all pissy after first pretending to be trolling then said I was being mean to him because he said “White people aren’t tribal” and “there shouldn’t be rioting” and I posted up the wiki article for the Poll Tax Riots he told me I can’t accept different opinions.

I’ll debate with anyone but this disingenuous chicken way out of hiding behind “it’s just a joke bro” I’ve got not time for.

clint van damme

History is always being erased.
How many countries (particularly colonial ones) teach their kids a warts and all curriculum regarding their past?

djr8369

I ended up leaving my group chat, the guy got all pissy after first pretending to be trolling then said I was being mean to him because he said “White people aren’t tribal” and “there shouldn’t be rioting” and I posted up the wiki article for the Poll Tax Riots he told me I can’t accept different opinions.

I’ll debate with anyone but this disingenuous chicken way out of hiding behind “it’s just a joke bro” I’ve got not time for.

“Can’t accept different opinions” is one of the American libertarian/conservative verbal tricks of countering another opinion by completely ignoring it while demanding theirs be considered reasonable.

Nick

Administrator
How many countries (particularly colonial ones) teach their kids a warts and all curriculum regarding their past?

when I went to school in North Korea they wouldn't do that. We learnt about the 12 world cup wins, the 4 Olympics they won, the leader banging 5 women at once and all sorts.

clint van damme

when I went to school in North Korea they wouldn't do that. We learnt about the 12 world cup wins, the 4 Olympics they won, the leader banging 5 women at once and all sorts.

And you grew up to lead the country so fair play

Nick

Administrator
IMO it’s a combination of memes of Facebook and the YouTube algorithm.

28d90aca1fc4b26726f22bfe4756d967.jpg

djr8369

Got a colleague now texting me telling me the whole thing is staged, it’s the Freemasons paying crisis actors with the riots being people paid by communists in order to topple Trump. Anything I say otherwise is because I “believe everything the media say”.

One of these people will shoot me in a future civil war, I’m sure of it.

D

Deleted member 4439

As a child in the mid-sixties, I still remember being shown a massive map of the world, pinned to the blackboard, in which a quarter of the globe was coloured pink to denote GB and its commonwealth. It was taught as a source of pride. I'd say that feeling of being of the superior country and people stayed with me until my early teens. I don't feel ashamed about that, just a bit naive and stupid.

skybluetony176

Heard an interesting take yesterday. Apparently a lot of white surpremists think whites are superior because whites are the next stage of evolution. However the evidence is essentially opposite. Essentially a white person is a black person minus something or actually black people are another step forward in evolution. Not saying that there’s any truth in any of that for one minute but found it an interesting counter argument as given opportunity black people can and do achieve anything a white person can. However for instance I can’t ever see a white person breaking the 100mtr world record again.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

edit sorry Oxford

Don't think the Cecil Rhodes statue will suffer the same fate because it's not as accessible - it's high up a building rather than on a plinth.

But I think they must be having serious thought to taking it down and replacing it.

Nick

Administrator
Heard an interesting take yesterday. Apparently a lot of white surpremists think whites are superior because whites are the next stage of evolution. However the evidence is essentially opposite. Essentially a white person is a black person minus something or actually black people are another step forward in evolution. Not saying that there’s any truth in any of that for one minute but found it an interesting counter argument as given opportunity black people can and do achieve anything a white person can. However for instance I can’t ever see a white person breaking the 100mtr world record again.

Can the white supremacists grow a flat top and get ripped much easier? The irony is that they are more than likely fat and bald.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It's not the local authority that aren't listening.

As has been stated it is listed by historic england and it is own by the Bristol Merchant Venturers who are still active.

This made it difficult for them.

But if it'd been removed to a museum etc I think they wouldn't have a huge recourse for action, esp given public sentiment towards it. What were they going to do - sue the council and invoke the wrath of the entire city and open themselves to accusations of supporting racism? Be a stupid thing to do. They should've accepted the move and the reasons for it and let it go.

Users who are viewing this thread