George Floyd (8 Viewers)

wingy

Anthony Joshua gave a speech and told people to just spend their money in black owned shops or within their community.

That shit doesn't help in the slightest, division the other way is completely the opposite.

Especially when he took his fight to an overly racist and homophobic country for more money.

Not helpful at all to try and stir things up like that.
You need to tell the leader of the 'Free World'.
Trump's been doing it for four years

skybluetony176

The Edward Colston statue (famous slave trader and philanthropist) has been pulled down and chucked in the river here.
That’s great (minus the lack of social distancing). Seen the video, almost all white people. The statue has been a bone of contention in Bristol for decades. Good on em.

Liquid Gold

I don't know what to make of that tbh. You can't avoid the past and wash it away.
I think this city has a hell of a lot more to do in educating people about its role in the slave trade. Part of that could have been a museum where the statue could have been relocated to. There have been campaigns to have it moved for a long tome that have the support of the majority of people from what I can tell. Leaving it there on route is a red rag to a bull that could have been avoided.

Ring Of Steel

I think this city has a hell of a lot more to do in educating people about its role in the slave trade. Part of that could have been a museum where the statue could have been relocated to. There have been campaigns to have it moved for a long tome that have the support of the majority of people from what I can tell. Leaving it there on route is a red rag to a bull that could have been avoided.

that’s a very good point actually, now we’ve ended up ignoring it to the point that the thing gets ripped down.

David O'Day

hark at all the left here praising vandalism. Now they vandalised Churchill hope you are all happy now. it’s getting beyond a joke. what’s this got to do with George Floyd?
Churchill was a racist though. Still that's something you have in Common

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

SkyBlueDom26

Whoever Vandalised the Churchill statue is a c**t, I’m all for the peaceful BLM protests but that is a fucking joke and has no relevance what so ever

David O'Day

Whoever Vandalised the Churchill statue is a c**t, I’m all for the peaceful BLM protests but that is a fucking joke and has no relevance what so ever
Oh pipe down

Shall we talk about the racism of Winston Chirchill?

Shall we talk about the millions who died in the 1943 Bengal famine?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Alan Dugdales Moustache

A lot of anger on this thread.
I'll say this : I spent over 9 weeks in lockdown, doing as I was asked . In doing so, I've allowed some (hopefully) healthy people to go out on the streets completely without regard for social distancing and with one aim which is to cause trouble. The majority aren't and I hope they get their message across and go home feeling that at least they've done something.
To the rest, I really don't care if you go home and become ill, because right now I feel I've wasted the last few weeks being careful.

Liquid Gold

A lot of anger on this thread.
I'll say this : I spent over 9 weeks in lockdown, doing as I was asked . In doing so, I've allowed some (hopefully) healthy people to go out on the streets completely without regard for social distancing and with one aim which is to cause trouble. The majority aren't and I hope they get their message across and go home feeling that at least they've done something.
To the rest, I really don't care if you go home and become ill, because right now I feel I've wasted the last few weeks being careful.
Bet you’re still fuming about Dominic Cummings.

Tommo1993

I really don't care if you go home and become ill, because right now I feel I've wasted the last few weeks being careful.

The only people we kept socially distant from was loved ones. My colleagues, clients, people in grocery shops, all couldn’t give a shit. Time wasted. Missed out on precious time.

chiefdave

I'm not going to condone vandalism but its naive in the extreme to say Churchill has no relevance what so ever when its an anti-racism protest. He was about as racist as they come!

"I cannot understand this squeamishness about the use of gas, I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes"

“I do not admit for an instant that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America, or the Black People of Australia... by the fact that a superior race has come in and taken its place”

History has been very revisionist where Churchill is concerned. Try googling the Tonypandy riots or Bengal famine, its not pleasant reading.

ccfchoi87

I'm not going to condone vandalism but its naive in the extreme to say Churchill has no relevance what so ever when its an anti-racism protest. He was about as racist as they come!

"I cannot understand this squeamishness about the use of gas, I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes"

“I do not admit for an instant that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America, or the Black People of Australia... by the fact that a superior race has come in and taken its place”

History has been very revisionist where Churchill is concerned. Try googling the Tonypandy riots or Bengal famine, its not pleasant reading.

I have almost no knowledge of those events so will read up. Interestingly, the first link I came across is this:

Did Churchill Cause the Bengal Famine? - The Churchill Project - Hillsdale College

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Some disappointing scenes at these protests which takes away from the overall message. Also disappointing that the police have allowed them to get away with it.
As I mentioned yesterday, if this persists then public sympathy will wain.
If people want change, they have to become part of the institutions that are problematic. They have to become part of it and change from within.
Demonstrating is always a start, but without anything tangible following on, it changes nothing.

Grendel

Try googling the great hero of left wing revolutionary thinking Che Guevara and how his blatant racism was overlooked by the hip and trendy Dave

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don't know what to make of that tbh. You can't avoid the past and wash it away.

No you can't, and neither should we, but that doesn't mean we should have statues (which imply a certain level of reverence and admiration for the individual) of people like this. If it's put in a museum as part of an exhibit of the slave trade fine but to remain in public in this day and age I don't think can be justified anymore regardless of how much he helped build the area.

Of course it is a slippery slope because by modern standards you could say most statues have just cause to be pulled down. Many of the great industrialists used child labour. Many of the navy under Nelson were press-ganged and also included children. Great figures like Wellington and even Churchill would in this day and age be considered hugely racist/mysoginistic/homophobic. Florence Nightingale turned down Mary Seacole because she was black.

In a more facetious thing, the statue of Richard I outside the HoP really irks me. He was an absolute monarchist who taxed his barons heavily to pay for a fight for his real desire - the French throne. He didn't speak English and barely spent any time in England because he hated the place. He cost everyone in the country the equivalent of a few years wages to be released after getting imprisoned on a campaign and then rather than come back he then went straight back to fighting and got himself stupidly killed a few weeks later. Not to mention he fought and killed lots of people in their own land because of their religion. I've no problem with the statue being in a museum, but outside the HoP seems like a pisstake. It'd be like having a statue of Ronald McDonald or Colonel Sanders outside Quorn HQ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread