General Election 2019 thread (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

I can't fathom being back in year 11 and being allowed to vote. Teachers were pushing their own political agendas throughout school already, imagine what it would be like if they knew they can make an instant impact.

More importantly, 16 year olds are fucking morons.

Joking aside, there’s a lot of science that says your decision making ability and especially the ability to see things from someone else’s POV don’t fully form until mid 20s. This drive on the left to pretend kids are adults bothers me, and it’s entirely politically motivated.

CovInEssex

I may be wrong but I don't think it's up for discussion anyway. The only amendment that's up for discussion is the date.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

One thing that confused me is having the election on a Monday. I thought they were always done on Thursdays? Still yet to work out why three days makes any fucking difference.

Winter election more likely to favour Tories IMO. Elderly may not want to get out and vote but will postal vote.

Younger voters probably less arsed to go out into the cold and will stay home. Plus it'll be the start of Xmas party season and students may well not be in the correct place to vote at the time, as I imagine some won't realise they can't just vote anywhere in the country but have to do so at a specific polling station.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Don’t think so. Maybe locals?
They brought it in for the 2014 independence referendum as it was deemed to be "their future" they were voting on.
Don't know/care about Scottish Parliamentary elections, but they won't be allowed to vote in an election to the UK parliament.

Woman on 5Live (Anna Foster) asked the SNP's Brexit spokesman if he knew how many EU countries allowed foreign EU nationals to vote in their general elections. He didn't know, so she enlightened him. None! "There's probably a good reason for that" she said! Top girl!

shmmeee

They brought it in for the 2014 independence referendum as it was deemed to be "their future" they were voting on.
Don't know/care about Scottish Parliamentary elections, but they won't be allowed to vote in an election to the UK parliament.

Woman on 5Live (Anna Foster) asked the SNP's Brexit spokesman if he knew how many EU countries allowed foreign EU nationals to vote in their general elections. He didn't know, so she enlightened him. None! "There's probably a good reason for that" she said! Top girl!

How many other EU countries have settled status for EU nationals?

(genuine question. I’d have assumed we are a bit of a special case thanks to brexit)

chiefdave

If we just want to copy what the EU does we could have avoided all this hassle with Brexit!

OffenhamSkyBlue

I know Spain does, and France does too (but is trying to fast-track applications from UK ex-pats currently living there).
Don't know about others, but i suspect might be the majority.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Are 16 year old's allowed to vote in the GE, in Scotland?

I very much doubt it. If they could choose different voting ages etc why not a completely different electoral system like PV or AV? Needs to be standardised.

But having said that the US elections have different ways of giving out their electoral college votes for different states.

shmmeee

Not really, it’s the other parties looking to move goalposts to benefit themselves. Why would you allow that as government proposing bill ? Would be crazy

Because he makes a big play about wanting an election but if the representatives of the people do something he doesn’t like suddenly he doesn’t? Same as the WAB.

It’s all political games dressed up as national interest.

CCFCSteve

Because he makes a big play about wanting an election but if the representatives of the people do something he doesn’t like suddenly he doesn’t? Same as the WAB.

It’s all political games dressed up as national interest.

It’s an election that rightly or wrongly will be about Brexit, why would you change the rules to allow millions of people to vote against you ? He’s not changing the status quo ! If he was saying all over 60s get two votes each Id understand your point shmmeee !

Agree WAB should’ve been progressed in any event. WAB progress however was on offer in yesterday’s vote, why didn’t labour vote on that then, especially as they accepted the election vote today ??

They’re all as bad as each other. I listed all their vested interests yesterday

shmmeee

It’s an election that rightly or wrongly will be about Brexit, why would you change the rules to allow millions of people to vote against you ? He’s not changing the status quo ! If he was saying all over 60s get two votes each Id understand your point shmmeee !

Agree WAB should’ve been progressed in any event. WAB progress however was on offer in yesterday’s vote, why didn’t labour vote on that then, especially as they accepted the election vote today ??

They’re all as bad as each other. I listed all their vested interests yesterday

Maybe I’m old fashioned but I believe in winning elections because you made the best argument to the country, not because you suppressed the vote of your opposition. If Parliament passes an extension to the franchise then that should be that. Not this tin pot dictator shit.

CCFCSteve

Maybe I’m old fashioned but I believe in winning elections because you made the best argument to the country, not because you suppressed the vote of your opposition. If Parliament passes an extension to the franchise then that should be that. Not this tin pot dictator shit.

disagree mate. As I say, other parties are trying to move away from the status quo to benefit themselves. Never even heard of MPs trying to amend who can vote right before an election

Astute

It has been confirmed that the general election will be on Thursday 12th of December. So the prime minister will be announced on Friday the 13th.

Says it all.

Grendel

It has been confirmed that the general election will be on Thursday 12th of December. So the prime minister will be announced on Friday the 13th.

Says it all.

not necessarily

shmmeee

disagree mate. As I say, other parties are trying to move away from the status quo to benefit themselves. Never even heard of MPs trying to amend who can vote right before an election

They are and that’s their right if they can get the support of the house. Pulling bills because you don’t like the houses decision if bullshit IMO.

covmark

Sadly for the first time in my life I probably won’t even bother voting.
Exactly how I feel mate. Totally lost faith in all politicians.
Add the fact that this is a GE that's going to be voted solely based on brexit. Education, NHS etc will take a back seat.
Can't be arsed with it all now.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Grendel

Not necessarily? Why is that? The shape of the moon? Nuclear war? Boris tells the truth?

a hung parliament which would take several days to reach s conclusion

Philosorapter

Think whatever happens Labour needs to win back a good proportion of the West of Scotland to get anywhere to tipping the balance in a General Election.

Ian1779

Think whatever happens Labour needs to win back a good proportion of the West of Scotland to get anywhere to tipping the balance in a General Election.

I think that they should work collaboratively to eliminate the LD’s in Scotland.... starting with Swinson.

Users who are viewing this thread