General Election 2019 thread (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

I agree with that, but I also think the Conservatives only need to match what they have to see Brexit through, despite more opposition members wanting to cancel than ever before. Anti Brexit Conservatives will be replaced with Brexit voting ones and those rebels that have recently blocked things will now mean slim victories instead. Once Brexit is done, I can then see another election within 12-18 months fought on other issues.

There’s a majority right now for his deal. He’s using Brexit for a GE not the other way around.

NorthernWisdom

Jo, who I find very unlikeable has a great chance of massive gains due to people (many students jumping Lab to Lib) being fed up of the main 2. Similar to what Nick Clegg achieved in 2010.
tbf most of the gains were under Charles Kennedy (and Paddy Ashdown laid the framework). Clegg's share went down slightly I think, but benefitted from disollusionment from a party in power for a number of years.

of course he threw it all away by then betraying why they got that vote in the first place! Another thing to colour an election - how many who may be attracted to the Liberal position will be put off by memories of that betrayal?

Grendel

Jeremy it seems may have changed his mind

Astute

tbf most of the gains were under Charles Kennedy (and Paddy Ashdown laid the framework). Clegg's share went down slightly I think, but benefitted from disollusionment from a party in power for a number of years.

of course he threw it all away by then betraying why they got that vote in the first place! Another thing to colour an election - how many who may be attracted to the Liberal position will be put off by memories of that betrayal?
My wife was always a Lib Dems voter. But after they jumped into bed with the Tories she said she would never vote for them again.

Now she is going to register as an expat so she can vote for them again. The Lib Dems are going to get a large part of the expats vote. They are saying exactly what the expats want and need. And there is quite a lot of them. They can vote as long as they never left the UK over 15 years ago.

CovInEssex

I don't think they've changed their minds, they just want an election on their terms. All in the name of trying to net as many votes as possible.

Looks like this rotten parliament will be stuck in limbo until 2021.

CovInEssex

My wife was always a Lib Dems voter. But after they jumped into bed with the Tories she said she would never vote for them again.

Now she is going to register as an expat so she can vote for them again. The Lib Dems are going to get a large part of the expats vote. They are saying exactly what the expats want and need. And there is quite a lot of them. They can vote as long as they never left the UK over 15 years ago.

Tbh if you don't live in the constituency you shouldn't get a say in who represents it - when you don't even represent it yourself.

Grendel

What is this reporting? Is it the Election Bill debate, or have you seen something else?

All over Twitter - can’t get enough MPs to back the motion

shmmeee

So:

Will we actually get a live debate with the party leaders this time or will Boris hide again?

shmmeee

All over Twitter - can’t get enough MPs to back the motion

It’ll pass even without the anti Corbynites.

(and my run of having to temporarily unblock you only to find you speaking absolute shite continues)

CovInEssex

So:

Will we actually get a live debate with the party leaders this time or will Boris hide again?

Boris isn't a good debater, he abandons his position to attack constantly. Sometimes you need to defend policy as well.

Can see him skipping.

Astute

Tbh if you don't live in the constituency you shouldn't get a say in who represents it - when you don't even represent it yourself.
What constituency is that you are talking about?

CCFCSteve

Wonder if labour will regret not voting for the bill last night. If the WAB was debated and passed pre election then they could’ve moved the debate onto domestic policies/issues (to some extent) and burst the Lib Dem/Brexit party bubble a little

however painful, an election needs to happen as there is total paralysis at the moment

ps I think by proposing amendment to include 16-17 year olds (not sure if that’s even feasible in timeframe)....labour are hoping government pulls bill

rob9872

They’re going to lose all 13 Scottish MPs for a start.

And Brexit won’t be done in the next parliament. Or the one after that. It’ll be live for a while. If Johnson gets his majority there won’t be an election for five years. If he lasts that long as a moderate with far right MPs
No Brexit in the next parliament? Do you actually believe the bullshit you type or simply trying to be objectionable?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No Brexit in the next parliament? Do you actually believe the bullshit you type or simply trying to be objectionable?

WA is Brexit stage 1. There is then the issue of negotiating/renegotiating all the other trade deals around the world as well as deciding which bits of the EU legislation written into UK law will be repealed and amended. Plus there will be things that we will need to remove ourselves from at a sedate pace as it's incredibly complex and it's not just a matter of 'we're fucking off now. See ya"

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Agreed though it's something that can be looked at again in 5 years. The Brexit question will hopefully be laid to rest...for now!

Sometimes it's not that simple. Decisions could be taken on other areas and contracts signed etc that would either take years to dismantle or would be sent through the courts. Similar the other way round if we decided to do something like renationalise the railways

What if in the next five years government passes legislation and agrees funding for more fracking or another nuclear plant? What if they sign a trade deal that gives foreign countries rights to access to things like the NHS or education? We can't just turn around a say "we've changed our mind" without there being repercussions that will go on for many years.

And with this GE more than likely to be predominantly single-issue it makes it all the more likely less palatable policies in other areas will be included in various parties manifestos depending on their political leanings,

Philosorapter

Meanwhile in Coventry, the race is on between councillors that never even made it on to Labour's long list, with who can keep their failed campaign go on the longest.

IMG_2844.PNG

IMG_2845.PNG

IMG_2847.GIF

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread