General Election 2019 thread (12 Viewers)

skybluetony176

Once more yet again. Boris voted for the May agreement.
On a best out of 3 no he didn’t. He also resigned over it weighting it’s chances of passing very much into not passing. He also colluded with the ERG who made sure enough didn’t vote for it everytime so it wouldn’t pass.

Brighton Sky Blue

And that is my point. Charisma. Doesn't make him the person to lead our country. But I laugh when anyone makes out that Corbyn has it. It can't be taught. You either have it or you don't. Might not make for good watching. The results of the election could depend on it.

How many have faith in Corbyn putting on a good show? Because that is what it is.

I don't. But to refuse it would have looked even worse. Corbyn was at his best in 2017 when talking directly to the public-Boris is clearly shite at that. But with other politicians or journalists he's in his element.

shmmeee

Once more yet again. Boris voted for the May agreement.

So you are niw saying that the EU want a so called hard Brexit? Because it is what they agreed on.

And by the way it is an agreement not a deal. It is an agreement on what will happen so a deal can be made.

What has Boris’ voting record got to do with anything?

I’m saying the EU want Britain to leave however it wants but not destroy NI. They’re saying that too. They’d probably rather have a closer relationship, but it’s not just up to them is it?

You’re just flailing around looking for pedantic points now. I think it’s clear you’ve conceded on the substance of the argument about whether Parliament has “stopped Brexit”.

Astute

What has Boris’ voting record got to do with anything?

I’m saying the EU want Britain to leave however it wants but not destroy NI. They’re saying that too. They’d probably rather have a closer relationship, but it’s not just up to them is it?

You’re just flailing around looking for pedantic points now. I think it’s clear you’ve conceded on the substance of the argument about whether Parliament has “stopped Brexit”.
Pedantic points? Just picking up on where you are not right as usual.

How many hundreds of times have you said Boris voted down the May agreement but have never once said about him voting for the agreement and tried ti get the other Tories to vote for it? Not once. But I am pedantic for pointing this out.

The EU does not want the UK to leave. Can show enough evidence if you like. But I suppose you could find your normal opinion piece off someone we have never heard of before that proves your point.

So if parliament didn't stop Brexit who did?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don't. But to refuse it would have looked even worse. Corbyn was at his best in 2017 when talking directly to the public-Boris is clearly shite at that. But with other politicians or journalists he's in his element.

On the whole I agree but when repeatedly pressed on an issue by a journalist he does become the bumbling buffoon and slips up. Unfortunately there are some that lap up those kind of performances as they like to see 'the clown' performing.

Brighton Sky Blue

On the whole I agree but when repeatedly pressed on an issue by a journalist he does become the bumbling buffoon and slips up. Unfortunately there are some that lap up those kind of performances as they like to see 'the clown' performing.

I think on a debate stage a wisecrack will be enough to steer him out of trouble. If they did more of a 'town hall' type event with a mixed audience he'd fare worse

Ian1779

I think on a debate stage a wisecrack will be enough to steer him out of trouble. If they did more of a 'town hall' type event with a mixed audience he'd fare worse

Corbyn tends to take a moment to deliver a response... although I get the thought of shooting off the hip instantly can appeal more.

we will see how it goes.

Brighton Sky Blue

Corbyn tends to take a moment to deliver a response... although I get the thought of shooting off the hip instantly can appeal more.

we will see how it goes.

I only see the charlatan calling the shots but happy to be wrong

Grendel

And that is my point. Charisma. Doesn't make him the person to lead our country. But I laugh when anyone makes out that Corbyn has it. It can't be taught. You either have it or you don't. Might not make for good watching. The results of the election could depend on it.

How many have faith in Corbyn putting on a good show? Because that is what it is.

Corbyn is a lot better in the campaigning environment he has a much more human presence when on non political shows. He’s good at people rallies as that’s what he’s done all his life

Swinson will come across as the worst of the 3 by some margin

Astute

Corbyn is a lot better in the campaigning environment he has a much more human presence when on non political shows. He’s good at people rallies as that’s what he’s done all his life

Swinson will come across as the worst of the 3 by some margin
Non political shows are different to a general election TV debate.

Grendel

Non political shows are different to a general election TV debate.

They will do the rounds on lots of different shows and he looks a lot more at ease in those events and campaigns and going out with people is his strength

his problem is his opponent is similarly skilled at this

Brighton Sky Blue

Labour's candidates for Coventry South + North West both announced and both have evidently been parachuted in from elsewhere. For the NW nominations the local councillors who had put themselves forward weren't even on the ballot it seems.

chiefdave

Labour's candidates for Coventry South + North West both announced and both have evidently been parachuted in from elsewhere. For the NW nominations the local councillors who had put themselves forward weren't even on the ballot it seems.
Given the state of our council that's probably a plus point!

fernandopartridge

I find the parachuting of candidates abhorrent. That said, can't say I'd have that much faith in any of the current Labour councillors. I saw that Jayne Innis mentioned. Good grief.

chiefdave

Think the Conservatives have already given up on Coventry South. Their candidate is the councillor I was referring to in this post on the local elections thread.
Fear not, this isn't about the Ricoh. Just had a prospective local councillor at the door and was astonished at how unprepared they were for a simple question about probably the most talked about issue locally.

I'm over in Finham and there are plans for new houses, which are desperately needed. As always the nimbys are out in full force so I would expect a prospective councillor to have an answer ready to go. All I asked was if not in the proposed located what was their alternative proposal to meet housing demand in the area.

After a look of total panic the response was that's not down to them, that's down to the council. An odd response when you're asking someone to vote for you to be a local councillor!

Anyone else had dealings with their actual or prospective local councillors, good or bad? Are they all as useless as mine?
She's been a councillor for less than two months having been dropped into our ward having failed to win in two other locations. In that time she's managed to mess up submitting a petition by missing the deadline and campaigned for ANPR checks in a location that doesn't meet the basic requirements for ANPR, and of course having just been elected decided to go on holiday!

The standard of candidates really is appalling.

Ian1779

I find the parachuting of candidates abhorrent. That said, can't say I'd have that much faith in any of the current Labour councillors. I saw that Jayne Innis mentioned. Good grief.
Candidates should be local as much as possible. Having knowledge and context of your electorate is a powerful tool.

Brighton Sky Blue

Think the Conservatives have already given up on Coventry South. Their candidate is the councillor I was referring to in this post on the local elections thread.

She's been a councillor for less than two months having been dropped into our ward having failed to win in two other locations. In that time she's managed to mess up submitting a petition by missing the deadline and campaigned for ANPR checks in a location that doesn't meet the basic requirements for ANPR, and of course having just been elected decided to go on holiday!

The standard of candidates really is appalling.

The Tories can get away with putting up random numpties because fatso will get their vote out. Labour need all the local influence they can get. And let’s be honest, if they lose anywhere in Coventry God help them in other areas

skybluetony176

In that time she's managed to mess up submitting a petition by missing the deadline and campaigned for ANPR checks in a location that doesn't meet the basic requirements for ANPR, and of course having just been elected decided to go on holiday!
She’ll be on the Tory front bench before you know. Although with that resumé she’s clearly over qualified.

skybluetony176

Apparently Ferage is claiming that the Tories have twice offered him a peerage as a bribe not to field candidates in leave Tory seats.

skybluetony176

Also rumours afoot that Boris is going to have to move seats because his isn’t safe by any stretch of the imagination.

shmmeee

A truly heartwarming story for the “all politicians are bastards” crowd. Hope she gets in.

Brighton Sky Blue

I see a couple of papers are headlining polls today with the Tories lead being halved in some polls.

The only polls I see recently show the Tories going over 40% because they have pulled support from Farage. Labour is staying where it is in the mid 20s.

Should never have agreed to the GE.

shmmeee

The only polls I see recently show the Tories going over 40% because they have pulled support from Farage. Labour is staying where it is in the mid 20s.

Once the Lib Dems broke ranks we had to unfortunately.

Never trust a Lib Dem.

Brighton Sky Blue

Once the Lib Dems broke ranks we had to unfortunately.

Never trust a Lib Dem.

Only the fatso and the Snats stand to gain from this.

It will at least be nice to see those who defected but didn’t see fit to allow their constituents a second vote, be forced to face a second vote. In Umunna’s case two defections after realising there already was a wishy washy centrist party to join.

Ian1779

It will close - as soon as people realise Swinson and her Ilk have nothing to offer. She trying to play the Hilary Clinton card... and that worked well.

Brighton Sky Blue

It will close - as soon as people realise Swinson and her Ilk have nothing to offer. She trying to play the Hilary Clinton card... and that worked well.

That needs to happen quick to avoid a romping majority for the fat one

shmmeee

Just saw some stats and Lib Dem vote is by far the softest of them all.

I think Tories are at their ceiling and will have to maintain it. I’ve given up guessing how Brexit voters will behave. Barring anything spectacular I suspect they’re locked into King Boris though. He’ll do what he did in the leadership election and hide away to ensure he doesn’t fuck it up I imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread