General Election 2019 thread (9 Viewers)

SkyBlueCharlie9

No you didn't did you
Reverend. Do you have a compassionate bone in your body? Spouting intolerance and hatred in a classic nasty party manner. Stop living in the past and you need to accept that Ireland and Israel situations are delicate and complex and talking is the best way to overcome hatred. Corbyn ain't perfect but he genuinely cares for society and has a vision. Boris or Mogg don't care a hoot about the infirm or less advantaged. Abbott may have embarrassed herself a bit and was not been well prepared but to slaughter her is pretty infantile. Scrutinise some of the dangerous right wing fruitcakes in the Tory party a bit - it might open your eyes. Nothing is as simplistic as you make out. Freedom, liberalism, tolerance, peace and dialogue is the only way to create a better world for my kids. Hatred, loathing, war mongering, dwelling in the past and isolationism most certainly is not. Play Up Sky Blues x

Ian1779

That would be handy. Would have expected Corbyn stating that Labour policy was to disband the armed forces to be huge headline news but google doesn't throw anything up.

I’m guessing the link does not exist.

shmmeee

Yes the Labour Brexit that ties us to the EU and all there rules and regs indefinately. Another patronising post accusing people they can't understand basic facts.
When will Corbyn come out about his plans for Defence, which will definately make good reading, but no doubt Shmmee will accuse others of not being able to understand.
If labour get in, which is remote I know, this country is fucked.

I don’t agree with Corbyns defence or foreign policy. I just care more about this country than other ones.

Leaving the EU means leaving the EU. Of course it’d be better to stay and have influence over the rules of the trading block we are going to need to trade with, but that wasn’t the referendum result.

A compromise position is democracy, not winner takes all and a soft Brexit is a fair result. You have no reasons against it that don’t boil down to “I want it and I voted Leave”. 52:48 is not a mandate for hard Brexit, not by a long shot. If you want to prove it is, you’ll need another referendum with it on offer.

shmmeee

Read crap in what papers?

Are you saying that Brexit hasn't taken so long because of all those who don't want it to happen? Nothing to do with parliament not wanting it to go through and voting against everything?

Why hasn’t there been a winning vote for a second referendum or revoke? Because there’s not a remain majority in Parliament and never has been. There’s been a majority for a soft Brexit ever since the referendum and four things have delayed it:

1) May calling an unnecessary election because the Tories wanted to own Brexit
2) May refusing calls from Labour MPs in Leave seats for a deal they could vote for because the Tories wanted to own Brexit
3) The ERG voting down Mays deal because the hard right of the Tories wanted to own Brexit
4) Johnson pulling his deal and calling an unnecessary election, because the Tories want to use Brexit to gain political advantage

See a theme here?

Astute

Why hasn’t there been a winning vote for a second referendum or revoke? Because there’s not a remain majority in Parliament and never has been. There’s been a majority for a soft Brexit ever since the referendum and four things have delayed it:

1) May calling an unnecessary election because the Tories wanted to own Brexit
2) May refusing calls from Labour MPs in Leave seats for a deal they could vote for because the Tories wanted to own Brexit
3) The ERG voting down Mays deal because the hard right of the Tories wanted to own Brexit
4) Johnson pulling his deal and calling an unnecessary election, because the Tories want to use Brexit to gain political advantage

See a theme here?
Explain this into your words then

MPs vote to seek delay to Brexit

clint van damme

Yet another patronising post. I've never ever read the Daily Mail. Just keep accusing people of things they've never done just because we have different views.
He's supported the IRA and been on terrorist marches, fact. Hence he's a Traitor, and the most serious threat to this country.
OK he'll give into terroists then, if you want me to be more specific.
Do you want me to provide his pro IRA posts from the late seventies/eighties. He is a coward and Traitor.
As for Abbott, ok can you imagine the humiliation of her being Home Secretary. Laughing stock full stop.

We've got a home Secretary who in her last ministerial post colluded with a foreign country behind the then PMs back.
But Tory treachery is OK I suppose?

skybluetony176

I don't think you're wrong to say there have been remain MPs trying to stop or delay Brexit but as Shmmeee points out there has been plenty of obstruction from the leave side as well when what's on the table hasn't suited them.
It’s more than arguable that if Ferage makes good to put a candidate in every seat he’s probably just done more single handedly to further delay or maybe even cancel Brexit altogether than any single person involved in politics.
They were talking on the news last night and it seems that for every vote that the Brexit Party looks to take of Labour they will take two of the Conservatives. He’s making life so much easier for the Lib Dem’s it’s unbelievable.

clint van damme

It’s more than arguable that if Ferage makes good to put a candidate in every seat he’s probably just done more single handedly to further delay or maybe even cancel Brexit altogether than any single person involved in politics.
They were talking on the news last night and it seems that for every vote that the Brexit Party looks to take of Labour they will take two of the Conservatives. He’s making life so much easier for the Lib Dem’s it’s unbelievable.

if the tories get a majority and deliver Johnsons deal he'll be out the limelight, and that's what he's really worried about.

skybluetony176

if the tories get a majority and deliver Johnsons deal he'll be out the limelight, and that's what he's really worried about.
Exactly. If Brexit gets delivered Nigel and his ego will just be a presenter of a phone in program on small radio station. Nigel and his ego needs all eyes on them and once Brexit is done what’s left won’t be enough.

skybluetony176

Just reading in the Daily Mail that apparently the Tory manifesto is going to take no deal of the table. These leavers doing anything to delay Brexit denying the majority their democracy. #WEKNOWWHATWEVOTEDFOR!

Grendel

I thought I was Polly Toynbee yesterday.... But then you’re never one for consistency...

That’s ok I’ve gone from being the full Dan Hodges to Ron Liddle

shmmeee

I don't think you're wrong to say there have been remain MPs trying to stop or delay Brexit but as Shmmeee points out there has been plenty of obstruction from the leave side as well when what's on the table hasn't suited them.

There are hardline Remain MPs, mostly in heavy Remain seats like Cambridge. But they do not have a majority in the house.

What has a majority is leaving with a deal that doesn’t screw the economy and rip up workers rights.

Imagine if Labour were in power and negotiated a deal that meant something unacceptable to the Tories like free cars for single black lesbians or whatever. In this parliament that deal wouldn’t get through either.

Every single “remain” Tory would vote for a soft Brexit plus the Labour for a Dealers and the outright Leavers and probably a couple of the others. They don’t actually want to stop Brexit, they just don’t think it should automatically be a hard right Tory project that turns us into Singapore.

There’s been an even bigger majority for a deal with a confirmatory referendum.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

They'll nibble away around the edges making it more and more unaffordable until they can argue the entire thing needs to go. the pharma aspect is one part of that plan.

Grendel

Deflection. What about the far more numerous UK casuals that aren't?

It’s not a deflection and again those in work for a year have had wage growth of over 4% - oh and also wages have grown across all segments once the coalition ended

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It’s not a deflection and again those in work for a year have had wage growth of over 4% - oh and also wages have grown across all segments once the coalition ended

Still not representative of the whole is it and therefore doesn't give a true and accurate account.......

fernandopartridge

Be interesting to remove wage increases in line with the national mininum wage from the figures

Grendel

Still not representative of the whole is it and therefore doesn't give a true and accurate account.......

In my opinion it is a more realistic assessment

The Reverend Skyblue

So I've had a really hard look into my political views and come up with that I do have certain ignorances regarding both Labour and Lib Dems.
I always set out plans for the working week ahead, and this week, as I am on top of everything regarding work, I will have plenty of time to really research in detail both labour and Lib Dems policies, I know labour has already released their manifesto, so in the lax periods at work this week I will go through everything both parties plan.
Yes I do dislike JC, DA and JMcDonnel , but I really want to know for myself if these things I dislike about them have any truth/backing to them.
I'll spend the next seven days researching and I'll come back and tell you if my views have changed. No doubt some will. My family have voted labour all their lives, much out of habit than anything else, and I'm the first one not to be, so I'm really interested to find out if my views change on things.
What I really hate is the division, and yes I have lost the plot on occasions, so I am so looking forward come the new year when most of this is behind us.

CCFCSteve

agree with Clint and Tony, Farage is being shown up for what he is...an opportunist.

I appreciate that his ideal Brexit might be a ‘clean break’ (although not sure he’s voiced this until recent months !) but hes not accepting that there is no majority for this in the country (or parliament - currently or probably in future). He’s also potentially putting Brexit at risk by fielding candidates across the country. Be interesting to see if he/Brexit party retain this stance

If I was him/them I’d be focussing all the attention (and cash) on a smaller number of winnable seats, almost forcing Tories to step down efforts in those constituencies and then try influence WAB or potential future trade deal from parliament.

Astute

That is the word. AS WELL.

This is how stupid this thread is. Trying to say that Brexit hasn't been delayed by those who want us to remain. Trying to make it look like it has been held up by those who want to leave.

Astute

MPs. Won’t. Vote. For. No. Deal.
No deal?

OMG why do I bother? This is a remain whatever or vote for Corbyn as it is all lies by the media about him shitfest.

If it is all about a no deal why does parliament keep stopping agreements between whoever is PM and the EU?

NorthernWisdom

That is the word. AS WELL.

This is how stupid this thread is. Trying to say that Brexit hasn't been delayed by those who want us to remain. Trying to make it look like it has been held up by those who want to leave.
Ken Clarke votes for an agreement that will take us out. Rees-Mogg and Johnson vote against it.

tbh, had the people who supposedly want leave focussed on a mild spot of compromise, we'd have left. Had we embraced the customs union, as in the last Labour manifesto, we'd have left as Labour would have voted for it. When the opportunity was there to vote for a preference of revoking Article 50, it was not passed. There was not a majority for that.

I'm afraid it *is* the leavers in parliament who make it impossible for us to leave, because of an extreme ideology where they wish to break everybody else.

NorthernWisdom

agree with Clint and Tony, Farage is being shown up for what he is...an opportunist.

I appreciate that his ideal Brexit might be a ‘clean break’ (although not sure he’s voiced this until recent months !) but hes not accepting that there is no majority for this in the country (or parliament - currently or probably in future). He’s also potentially putting Brexit at risk by fielding candidates across the country. Be interesting to see if he/Brexit party retain this stance

If I was him/them I’d be focussing all the attention (and cash) on a smaller number of winnable seats, almost forcing Tories to step down efforts in those constituencies and then try influence WAB or potential future trade deal from parliament.
The thing is, Farage (and Johnson) have always been opportunists. We're not learning anything that wasn't already known about their characters these past few weeks.

They are very successful opportunists, however!

Users who are viewing this thread