General Election 2019 thread (15 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Like or loath her I find Nicola Sturgeon the most accomplished politician of all the leaders. Corbyn had a terrible interview tonight imo. He seemed rattled and his calmness entirely strained and overacted. I'm looking forward to the buffoon Johnson being grilled but Andrew Neil needs to pin him down and prevent the usual waffle and sound bites. Depressing stuff really.

He was rattled and calm at the same time? It was Neil blatantly going for the sound bites and trying to play gotcha

CCFCSteve

He was rattled and calm at the same time? It was Neil blatantly going for the sound bites and trying to play gotcha

I know what Tommy means to be fair BSB. Corbyn was trying to convey calmness (which he was reasonably successful with for a majority of the interview) but was rattled

He was asked some pretty decent questions to be fair and struggled to give clear/honest responses, partly due to Neil only really wanting straight to the point answers (Johnson will also struggle !) but also because he couldn’t.

Brighton Sky Blue

I know what Tommy means to be fair BSB. Corbyn was trying to convey calmness (which he was reasonably successful with for a majority of the interview) but was rattled

He was asked some pretty decent questions to be fair and struggled to give clear/honest responses, partly due to Neil only really wanting straight to the point answers (Johnson will also struggle !) but also because he couldn’t.

I have to be honest here and say I agree with this on the funding of WASPI when he took too long to give an answer. But the first half on the anti Semitism claims was ridiculous from Neil. They were lazy questions that Corbyn has faced dozens of times. From where I was sat he answered them as reasonably as he could but lost his restraint in the latter part.

I look forward to seeing 15 minutes of Johnson having to defend his own racist comments.

CCFCSteve

I have to be honest here and say I agree with this on the funding of WASPI when he took too long to give an answer. But the first half on the anti Semitism claims was ridiculous from Neil. They were lazy questions that Corbyn has faced dozens of times. From where I was sat he answered them as reasonably as he could but lost his restraint in the latter part.

I look forward to seeing 15 minutes of Johnson having to defend his own racist comments.

yeah, the paying out of reserves and not really being clear that he knew the higher rate of tax (more because he was under pressure) wasn’t good. Would’ve been better to say borrow more to pay for it as it’s the right thing but couldn’t really win. He needed calling out as it’s a semi bribe really (was reactive and not in ‘costed’ manifesto)

I’ve not heard the lower income pensions tax argument point before to be fair (decent question) and the nationalisations being cost neutral is, in my view, just wrong...it would still add to government debt.

CCFCSteve

Ps Johnson will struggle so hope he’s prepped otherwise it could end up being the game changing car crash he’s been desperately trying to avoid !!!

Brighton Sky Blue

yeah, the paying out of reserves and not really being clear that he knew the higher rate of tax (more because he was under pressure) wasn’t good. Would’ve been better to say borrow more to pay for it as it’s the right thing but couldn’t really win. He needed calling out as it’s a semi bribe really (was reactive and not in ‘costed’ manifesto)

I’ve not heard the lower income pensions tax argument point before to be fair (decent question) and the nationalisations being cost neutral is, in my view, just wrong...it would still add to government debt.

Previous nationalisations have been of loss making industries. The nationalisation of profitable enterprises could well pay back more in the long run. Our rail franchises are largely awarded to companies ultimately run by foreign, state owned rail companies, chiefly the Dutch and Germans. I just wish the whole thing was policy based rather than indulging in this portrayal of Corbyn as a pseudo Nazi

CCFCSteve

Previous nationalisations have been of loss making industries. The nationalisation of profitable enterprises could well pay back more in the long run. Our rail franchises are largely awarded to companies ultimately run by foreign, state owned rail companies, chiefly the Dutch and Germans. I just wish the whole thing was policy based rather than indulging in this portrayal of Corbyn as a pseudo Nazi

Agreed that in long run some might be profitable but there’s a massive cost (initial debt).

As I’ve said before I don’t believe Corbyn’s and anti Semite (nor do I believe Johnsons a racist) but his lack of leadership/judgment on the matter is what’s causing him issues. Neil flagged this with the fact that a female Holocaust denier (appreciate that’s maybe a touch strong but can’t recall the exact wording) just got a warning letter, then he refused to apologise for how he’s handled it (which is what will hit the headlines) Also bizarre that there were apparently candidates with questionable past comments on the stage at the unveiling of the race and faith manifesto. Not ideal when you’re trying to put an issue to bed

skybluetony176

Agreed that in long run some might be profitable but there’s a massive cost (initial debt).

As I’ve said before I don’t believe Corbyn’s and anti Semite (nor do I believe Johnsons a racist) but his lack of leadership/judgment on the matter is what’s causing him issues. Neil flagged this with the fact that a female Holocaust denier (appreciate that’s maybe a touch strong but can’t recall the exact wording) just got a warning letter, then he refused to apologise for how he’s handled it (which is what will hit the headlines) Also bizarre that there were apparently candidates with questionable past comments on the stage at the unveiling of the race and faith manifesto. Not ideal when you’re trying to put an issue to bed
The big difference though is that the people in the Labour Party that are saying things that could/have been deemed anti-Semitic aren’t the people at the top however the person at the Top of the Tory Party is the person saying things that could/have been deemed racist and islamaphobic. That’s not a poor judgement on how to deal with other people’s behaviour, it’s poor judgement on how to behave yourself and that’s considerably worse as it should be something that you have complete personal control over.

Astute

It wasn't though really, was it. No-one even knew what a Northern Ireland backstop was. There was no talk of differing deals.

It made it sound all so simple, when the truth was, it was nothing but simple.
The backstop was invented after the vote.

Astute

But how is that possible if people knew what they were voting for?
Did you vote leave or remain?

People voting leave wanted to leave. People voting remain wanted to remain. It was never going to be how we left.

The EU has made it hard. Remainers have made it hard. Was any of this on the ballot paper?

Brighton Sky Blue

Not once has Corbyn himself espoused anti Semitic views. But Johnson has made racist comments on multiple occasions and gets away with it. It isn’t close to parity of exposure.

Did you vote leave or remain?

People voting leave wanted to leave. People voting remain wanted to remain. It was never going to be how we left.

The EU has made it hard. Remainers have made it hard. Was any of this on the ballot paper?

How have the EU done that? Not hired useless pricks as negotiators?

SkyblueBazza

I didn't say he was. He said he believed that most Jews would be voting Tory. If you are unhappy with racism and believe the Labour Party to be antisemitic and the Tories to be Islamophobic, they surely should be voting for some other party entirely.

Or is racism towards one particular race okay?

He said there was a problem with racism with both main parties.

You didn't say it...I just felt the words you used could lead to the ranting minority to perceive it so.
His believe he explained was based on polls of the Jewish community. What polls I have no idea. Just that that is what he said.

Personally, I treat everyone the same. As far as politics goes, society in the UK seem to have generally accepted that to discriminate on most grounds is unacceptable (as in - thugs & muggers & swindlers & paedo's for example is in some cases acceptable) so for our political parties to be shown as being discriminatory in any way to the general minority or majority is a very concerning issue. I suspect we as individuals have to assess whether that discrimination is significant enough in the grand scheme to warrant voting MRL party or stick with what you know though.

It's a tough call we all have to face. Voting Labour doesn't automatically mean you support anti-Semitism. Voting SNP doesn't make a Scot ani-British nor anti-English. That is what tolerance is all about.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Astute

How have the EU done that? Not hired useless pricks as negotiators?
They need our money. We need the EU for ease of trade.

But what has that got to do with a yes/No question?

Any chance of less remain propaganda?

SkyblueBazza

Its not crap when its the truth, thats why Corbyn is being called anti semetic
...he/Labour is definitely anti-wealthy, but only in the same extreme the Tories are anti-unwealthy (let's face it they tolerate & encourage them...and feed off their efforts)

It's getting the balance right that is rarely achieved.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The Lurker

all this racist bollocks. can someone please tell me what boris said that’s racist?

term racist is banded about far too easily. racist is when you hate someone purely on colour. Savid Javid not high up? surely if he believed boris was racist he would step down? Priti Patel another. How many Jews are high up in the Labour Party?

Brighton Sky Blue

all this racist bollocks. can someone please tell me what boris said that’s racist?

term racist is banded about far too easily. racist is when you hate someone purely on colour. Savid Javid not high up? surely if he believed boris was racist he would step down? Priti Patel another. How many Jews are high up in the Labour Party?

Ah, the ‘I have brown friends’ defence.

Ian1779

The last leader of the Labour Party was Jewish... even that didn’t stop him being classed ‘the wrong type of Jew’

The Lurker

Watermelon smiled picaninnies
Muslim women look like burglars and postboxes

Followed by a robust defence of the latter in the Telegraph which also pays him an obscene sum to write that filth

none of that is racist. do you know what racist means? It’s a joke about religion. Some get offended but it’s not racist.

Astute

You said the EU has made it hard. I asked how.
How?

I suppose you want to say they have made it easy.

Shall we start with things like the so called backstop before they would even consider having trade talks? The same talks that could mean there would be no change in Ireland? They knew it would cause many problems.

But oh no. Everything is the fault of thick voters.

That is as wrong as when you kept lecturing us on privatisation of the NHS was all down to the Tories. Or when you lectured us that a lack of social housing was all down to the Tories. And there are many times where you have learned differently to what you have thought but still refuse to acknowledge the truth. So why should I get into yet another argument with you when you always refuse to acknowledge the truth?

The Lurker

Are you fucking serious?

Not racist?

I'm done. Ha ha

Depends how you translate the term in the sentence hey. Here’s the full passage

They say he is shortly off to the Congo. No doubt the AK47s will fall silent, and the pangas will stop their hacking of human flesh, and the tribal warriors will all break out in watermelon smiles to see the big white chief touch down in his big white British taxpayer-funded bird.”

“What a relief it must be for Blair to get out of England. It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies; and one can imagine that Blair, twice victor abroad but enmired at home, is similarly seduced by foreign politeness.”

NorthernWisdom

The first half of the interview was probably of benefit to Corbyn... for those who watched it. There's no way you could call him anti-semitic based on that, and he seemed genuinely hurt by the accusation. The argument of flawed process is not a great one to have to defend, and would have consequences for him as leader if substantiated later, but is the far lesser of two evils than the accusation he's an anti-semite.

Of course the headlines won't help him for those who didn't see it, and for the likes of Dim who can't handle big words.

Last edited:

Astute

none of that is racist. do you know what racist means? It’s a joke about religion. Some get offended but it’s not racist.
Some Tories have ther head up their own arse so far that they don't even know what racism is. So even when putting on a show to the public they make comments they shouldn't as they can't see anything wrong with it.

Users who are viewing this thread