Formula 1 2020 (1 Viewer)

Saddlebrains

Thats on Latifi for me.

Gunned it then realised no one else had, slammed the brakes on

Paul Anthony

Lewis now just 1 win from matching Michael Schumacher's win tally. When Michael was setting them it seemed nobody else would get anywhere near to them.

Paul Anthony

What a shame it is that after racing at 2 circuits with so much character, we're off to Sochi. Possibly the dullest circuit in motorsports.

I certainly wouldn't say no to racing here again, on the condition that Tilke isn't allowed anywhere near it to rip up all that gravel and put miles of tarmac run off down.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Fortunate no one got hurt yesterday. What an almighty pile up.

Looking at that circuit pre-race I thought it looked 'old fashioned' and potentially dangerous with the run off areas, esp the speed of the circuit. Was genuinely worried this could be the first instance of a serious injury/death in a while in F1.

I'm not a fan of many of the modern tracks which are far too dull and they need to improve them to punish people going wide etc and improve overtaking but there is a reason tracks like that don't tend to be seriously considered in F1 anymore.

covcity4life

Kick Hamilton out and make it more interesting

Put a cap on team spending to get the cars closer to each other

Whats point of a race where a clear favourite every single week. If it was talent alone fair play

Corrado

What bollocks - Hamilton isn't the problem, you cant just hate on him because he is in the best car. If it wasn't Hamilton, it would be Bottas. Should they kick him out as well?? Rule changes are needed to make it more enjoyable to watch

Saddlebrains

Tbf i hate on Hamilton because he's a self centred, entitled, dislikable little prick.

Fantastic racing driver, best ever over a single lap (doesnt touch schumacher as overall GOAT for me) but there is a reason he has been on the whole disliked by the british public

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

They've resurrected the idea of the reverse grids (which I'd prefer to the quali set up they currently have) but I can understand the opposition to it because if you've got slower cars and less able drivers at the front it could be dangerous in terms of the likelihood of accidents (but a much more exciting spectacle).

My other thought was rather than quali sessions each driver just gets ONE quali lap, with the track to themselves and that time is where they start on the grid. If you make an error on that one lap tough. I'd probably do it in reverse Championship order (i.e. Championship leader goes last). Shouldn't really take much longer than a normal qualifying session.

This gives the better cars and drivers a more than fair opportunity to get to the front of the grid but also adds in more skill because you can't afford to mess up a lap, abort it and go again. Also prevents the chance of someone being held up by slower cars/in laps/out laps.

Paul Anthony

They've resurrected the idea of the reverse grids (which I'd prefer to the quali set up they currently have) but I can understand the opposition to it because if you've got slower cars and less able drivers at the front it could be dangerous in terms of the likelihood of accidents (but a much more exciting spectacle).

My other thought was rather than quali sessions each driver just gets ONE quali lap, with the track to themselves and that time is where they start on the grid. If you make an error on that one lap tough. I'd probably do it in reverse Championship order (i.e. Championship leader goes last). Shouldn't really take much longer than a normal qualifying session.

This gives the better cars and drivers a more than fair opportunity to get to the front of the grid but also adds in more skill because you can't afford to mess up a lap, abort it and go again. Also prevents the chance of someone being held up by slower cars/in laps/out laps.

They actually used to have a Qualy format along those lines, although they tinkered with it a bit. At first it was aggregate, and as one session had to be done on race fuel (you could refuel in those days) it meant the top teams tended to sacrifice grid position for a better fuel strategy. It did now and again set up some jumbled grids (especially if it rained during the session). See the 2005 Japanese Grand Prix, it actually made for one of the races of this century. Now and again a lower team would put in a banzai lap with a minimal fuel load just to get up front.

My problem with reverse grid races are that it works fine and dandy ina spec series like F2, even in BTCC where aero makes very little difference. But, these cars aren't spec. Sure, you'd get different race winners. At first, anyway, until the engineers got clever. But it'd feel entirely artificial. It certainly wouldn't feel as special for a driver like Gasly. Plus, it'll mean extra strain on engines, probably resulting in more money having to be spent producing extra engines. At a time when costs are at record highs and the sport is looking to cut and cap costs. I just don't see it as a completely workable scenario.

NorthernWisdom

They actually used to have a Qualy format along those lines, although they tinkered with it a bit. At first it was aggregate, and as one session had to be done on race fuel (you could refuel in those days) it meant the top teams tended to sacrifice grid position for a better fuel strategy. It did now and again set up some jumbled grids (especially if it rained during the session). See the 2005 Japanese Grand Prix, it actually made for one of the races of this century. Now and again a lower team would put in a banzai lap with a minimal fuel load just to get up front.

My problem with reverse grid races are that it works fine and dandy ina spec series like F2, even in BTCC where aero makes very little difference. But, these cars aren't spec. Sure, you'd get different race winners. At first, anyway, until the engineers got clever. But it'd feel entirely artificial. It certainly wouldn't feel as special for a driver like Gasly. Plus, it'll mean extra strain on engines, probably resulting in more money having to be spent producing extra engines. At a time when costs are at record highs and the sport is looking to cut and cap costs. I just don't see it as a completely workable scenario.
As long as we have DRS, it probably won't allow a totally random team to win, anyway.

SkyBlueSoul

So Ricciardo finally gets the podium that means Cyrile Abiteboul has to get a tattoo! Daniel to choose the design, Cyrile to choose size and placement. Can we assume it's going to be a honey badger or a race shoe full of alcohol?

Paul Anthony

So Ricciardo finally gets the podium that means Cyrile Abiteboul has to get a tattoo! Daniel to choose the design, Cyrile to choose size and placement. Can we assume it's going to be a honey badger or a race shoe full of alcohol?

I bet he was secretly wanting Perez to get that podium!

Paul Anthony

Give credit to Hulkenberg. Thought he was spending the weekend doing TV work, gets called up at the very last minute, drives through from last to eighth. That's a mighty effort considering his first lap in the car was his first Qualy lap!

Paul Anthony

He should be in that second red bull

Today might have sealed Albon's fate, if it wasn't already, for next season. OK, he was probably never going to be on Max's pace. But Red Bull need a driver who can come into play with strategy to put pressure on the Mercs. Albon can't get anywhere near.

Also, why did he sound so surprised the Alpha Tauri's wanted to race him so hard? That's the whole point of the sport! Don't think that's a comment that will go down to well.

Saddlebrains

Today might have sealed Albon's fate, if it wasn't already, for next season. OK, he was probably never going to be on Max's pace. But Red Bull need a driver who can come into play with strategy to put pressure on the Mercs. Albon can't get anywhere near.

Also, why did he sound so surprised the Alpha Tauri's wanted to race him so hard? That's the whole point of the sport! Don't think that's a comment that will go down to well.

I agree. It almost looked like they sacked him mid race with that strange retirement

NorthernWisdom

They're ultimately fighting for his seat, too, so are going to push him harder than most!

Si80

I don't think Hulk stands a chance of being in that RB seat next year. They like to have drivers from within their driver academy there to show that it works. To just pop him into the seat doesn't go with their work mantra. Raced well yesterday though.

Albon and Raikonnen will be the empty seats to be filled next year I expect. Talk of Mick Schumacher filling the Alfa seat. And also looks like HAAS could have a totally new team line up as Steiner has said that 10 possible people to fill the seats there for 2021-22.

Paul Anthony

That turned out to be quite
Was at work today, only just caught up on quali. Stroll on pole

Nothing like a bit of rain to mix things up!

There was a new track surface as well, which had all the resins coming to the surface. When it was sunny on Friday, they were going round on dry tyres looking like it was an ice track.

Still, in the end it made for quite the race. Another track I think it's a shame we don't have permanently on the calendar anymore, while we still have Sochi and another street circuit coming up next year in Saudi.

Kneeza

I know nowt (and care as much) about F1.
However, an old friend of mine from back in the 70s was an engineer on the F1 tv programming (indeed, supposedly acknowledged as one of the main men in it).
Sadly he died very unexpectedly the other day, and I'm led to believe that there was going to be an 'In Memory of...' type thing at the end of this weekends prog.
Did anyone happen to notice?

xcraigx

That's the biggest non fatal crash I have ever seen in F1 by a long way. I can't believe how the car split clean in half and I cannot believe Grosjean got out alive, let alone under his own steam.

Users who are viewing this thread