Formula 1 2020 (1 Viewer)

Saddlebrains

I feel sick every time i see that. Honsetly thought he was a gonner

hill83

Wow. He absolutely should be dead after that. Incredible. I forget these days how dangerous the sport is. Not even including the fire he should be dead.

SkyBlueSoul

I’m shaken after watching that, absolutely horrific. Amazed and so happy he’s out and okay.

Tommo1993

Crash like that 100 times you’d die 99 times. Very lucky. He should go and buy a lottery ticket.

Paul Anthony

Romain Grosjean might be the luckiest man alive. Thank Christ for the halo, for the fireproof equipment, for the fact the medical car follows behind the pack. And that he wasn't knocked out.

He's off at the end of the year anyway, but even if his injuries allow him back into the car, (highly unlikely) I would not be surprised if he called it a day. Not so long ago, he'd not have been walking away from that.

I wonder if the hands getting burned was where he put them on the barrier for a couple of seconds. I imagine that was instantly red hot.

Such a lucky boy to have survived going through the barrier. Fantastic to see how far safety has actually come, both incidents in that race prove how valuable the Halo is.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Anyone with an ounce of sense would walk away from the sport. It's very Jules in Pulp Fiction. So many ways he could, aguably should, have died in that and to walk away is mindboggling. Of course it's testament to how far safety has gone in that sport.

Surviving the initial explosion and fireball
The car ripping in half (safety cell probably stopped it ripping him in half)
The cockpit going through a metal barrier and not one piece struck him (halo helped but still a lot of gaps within it)
To not have been unconcious allowing him to get out given the force of the impact.
How he was even able to get out of the cockpit with it being wedged under the barrier.

I watched it and just thought "he's dead".

George Russell to drive Lewis' car this week. This will be interesting to see, in my opinion he's racing Bottas for his seat.

Haas confirmed their new driver with Schumacher taking the remaining seat.

I don't know if all seats have been bought in the past ala Stroll, but these young guys coming up seem to have fantastic pedigree and spell a brilliant future in the sport. Leclerc, Russell, Norris, Albon, Schumacher, Mazepin, thats some list of proven winners.

*not saying they don't have money, but they seem to have earned their drives.

Paul Anthony

George Russell to drive Lewis' car this week. This will be interesting to see, in my opinion he's racing Bottas for his seat.

Haas confirmed their new driver with Schumacher taking the remaining seat.

I don't know if all seats have been bought in the past ala Stroll, but these young guys coming up seem to have fantastic pedigree and spell a brilliant future in the sport. Leclerc, Russell, Norris, Albon, Schumacher, Mazepin, thats some list of proven winners.

*not saying they don't have money, but they seem to have earned their drives.

This is why F1 has got to find a way to try and close the field up. You could have the likes of Verstappen, Norris, Russell, Leclerc, Schumacher all going at it for the championship for a good many years. We could really be heading towards a golden age of the sport.

mark82

I can't wait to see what Russell can do in the Mercedes. It's probably unrealistic to think he can beat Bottas, who is established in the car and has had time to get it set up to his liking, but if he can put in a strong performance then it'll put him in a good place to take the seat once his contract with Williams is up.

Talk is that Mercedes wanted him to replace Bottas next year but Williams held firm saying they had a contract, hence why Bottas got an extra year. Think Russell is a future star.

NorthernWisdom

I can't wait to see what Russell can do in the Mercedes. It's probably unrealistic to think he can beat Bottas, who is established in the car and has had time to get it set up to his liking, but if he can put in a strong performance then it'll put him in a good place to take the seat once his contract with Williams is up.

Talk is that Mercedes wanted him to replace Bottas next year but Williams held firm saying they had a contract, hence why Bottas got an extra year. Think Russell is a future star.
Could either make or break his career, this. Do well and he's a shoe-in for 2022. Badly and big questions open up.

Hope for his sake it works out!

SkyBlueSoul

Russell absolutely smashing this today, amazing after this latest restart too. Can’t believe how badly Merc fucked up those pitstops. Bottas still incapable of defending against a teammate.

As much as I want Russell to win, I’d love to see Pérez get one before he loses his seat. Criminal loss from the grid if he doesn’t secure a seat.

Paul Anthony

What the hell have Mercedes done to Russell's race? They've properly screwed him over. How he's gone from winning to maybe not even getting a point.

Paul Anthony

I remember Malaysia 2012 where Perez In a Sauber ran Alonso in a Ferrari close for the win. I said then he'd be a winner. I didn't think it'd take this long and to be on the verge of not having a seat. But I'm glad he has done it.

Gutted for George. He did all he had to do today. And he's lost a comfortable win through something completely out of his control.

I guess, as the great Murray Walker used to say, "anything can happen in Formula One, and usually does!"

xcraigx

The unhappiest man at the track tonight will be Albon. This is the sort of race where we should picking up the pieces and coming away with a win but he was nowhere. Perez should be given his seat.

I'm sad for Russell but the issues were clearly not of his doing, he is a future world champion and will be taking that seat away from Bottas in 2022 surely.

Paul Anthony

20k fine to Mercs for pitstop fiasco, Russell keeps his points. Scant consolation, but they could theoretically have DQ'd him. Glad they didn't, would have been very harsh.

Frostie

Fantastic performance from Russell, gutted for him but he absolutely dominated Bottas who must be seriously embarrassed by that.

A lot calling for Russell to take his seat but I'm just not sure how likely that is. He's shown enough to suggest he could be a potential title challenger & I'm not convinced Mercedes want that - look at the issues Hamilton has had with the likes of Alonso & Rosberg previously.
I think they want Lewis as clear No.1 & just a solid, reliable 2nd driver to ensure they get the Constructors Title without really threatening Hamilton's position & Bottas fits that bill perfectly.

Fair play Perez, somehow, some way he needs to find a seat for next year. Obvious one is to replace Albon but Red Bull like their own young drivers policy.

Gutted for Russell. You see all those less intelligent folk on Social media stating "this proves it's just the car". I disagree, this proves how top class Ham and Rus are. For Bottas to be so absolutely diabolically slow by comparison is really telling. He's alot like Albon who just can't match Verstappen.

I'd love to see Russell in a fast car next season, but if Hamilton comes back they won't risk having 2 potential number 1s at the team. Bottas being slower works well, they're not racing each other. Russell would give Hamilton a run for his money every race.

Frostie

I'd love to see Russell in a fast car next season, but if Hamilton comes back they won't risk having 2 potential number 1s at the team. Bottas being slower works well, they're not racing each other. Russell would give Hamilton a run for his money every race.

Exactly this.

I also can't see how Hamilton can now be given £40mill for three years as no.1 driver. They can't leave Russell at Williams for another 3 years, Mercedes are in a tricky spot.

I guess take Russell at the end of next season when Bottas is up. Let Hamilton and Russell fight it out for a season before Russell becomes no.1 in Hamilton's last season?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Gutted for Russell - drove brilliantly and but for a monumental cock-up in doing the extra stop after they were behind the safety car rather than virtual safety car, putting the wrong tyres on so he had to stop again and then having a puncture meaning another he'd have won that race easily barring engine failure. Looked like he'd been driving that car for years, but I guess if you're used to driving a pig of a car like the Williams a Merc is a piece of piss. Shows how much difference the car makes and it'd be great in some respects to either see all the drivers in identical cars or having the drivers having to swap cars throughout the season.

Also showed Bottas just isn't up to it. Up to now it's been that Hamilton is just better than him but this proved that's not the case. Russell did him twice almost immediately in an unfamilar car and carved his way through while Bottas was stuck behind cars he should've got past with ease. His days there must be numbered.

Only consolation was seeing Perez get the win instead. Really pleased for him.

tisza

Russell ticked all the boxes. Sadly ironic it was his replacement at Williams whose mistake probably cost him the win.
About 2 months ?? ago Alonso had picked as the most talented young driver in F1 - big call with what's there.
Russell not getting Bottas's seat as may be too competitive for Lewis is an interesting argument - but one that also could stop Perez getting the Red Bull drive.
Verstappen wants to be clear number 1 and Red Bull will remember the problems they had when it was Max and Ricciardo on their team.

Last edited:

Saddlebrains

I've been saying for nearly 2 seasons now Bottas is a waste of a top seat. Think this proves it.

Also, Perez showing his quality, how he doesnt have a drive next year is a travesty. Red Bull need to wake up and bin Albon off and get Perez in that car

Si80

He shouldn’t be leaving Racing Point.
They don't need his sponsorship money anymore which is an absolute shit show after that money has saved that team from extinction on a couple of occasions. Stroll will be guaranteed a seat there for life and Seb will do a couple of years before retiring with a nice Aston company car to go with his fleet of Ferraris.
I'd love to see Checo in the Red Bull, but I just can't see Max wanting someone that will actually vie for team leader in the team alongside him. He just wants a capable wingman, and I think RB will just keep chopping through their reserve drivers pool to find one.

Gutted for GR this weekend, I think he'll replace Bottas in a years time at Merc before taking over the team leader role from Hamilton when he's won 9 in a row :)

Users who are viewing this thread