Formula 1 2020

Saddlebrains

Jul 2, 2019
Coventry
Thats on Latifi for me.

Gunned it then realised no one else had, slammed the brakes on

Paul Anthony

Sep 9, 2016
Lewis now just 1 win from matching Michael Schumacher's win tally. When Michael was setting them it seemed nobody else would get anywhere near to them.

Paul Anthony

Sep 9, 2016
What a shame it is that after racing at 2 circuits with so much character, we're off to Sochi. Possibly the dullest circuit in motorsports.

I certainly wouldn't say no to racing here again, on the condition that Tilke isn't allowed anywhere near it to rip up all that gravel and put miles of tarmac run off down.

Reactions: Saddlebrains

Paul Anthony

Sep 9, 2016
Fortunate no one got hurt yesterday. What an almighty pile up.
I don't think that would ever have happened if Charlie Whiting had still been around. I'm not sure Michael Masi is the right person for Race Director.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Aug 16, 2018
Fortunate no one got hurt yesterday. What an almighty pile up.
Looking at that circuit pre-race I thought it looked 'old fashioned' and potentially dangerous with the run off areas, esp the speed of the circuit. Was genuinely worried this could be the first instance of a serious injury/death in a while in F1.

I'm not a fan of many of the modern tracks which are far too dull and they need to improve them to punish people going wide etc and improve overtaking but there is a reason tracks like that don't tend to be seriously considered in F1 anymore.

covcity4life

Apr 16, 2010
Kick Hamilton out and make it more interesting

Put a cap on team spending to get the cars closer to each other

Whats point of a race where a clear favourite every single week. If it was talent alone fair play

Corrado

May 1, 2014
What bollocks - Hamilton isn't the problem, you cant just hate on him because he is in the best car. If it wasn't Hamilton, it would be Bottas. Should they kick him out as well?? Rule changes are needed to make it more enjoyable to watch

Reactions: Saddlebrains

Saddlebrains

Jul 2, 2019
Coventry
Tbf i hate on Hamilton because he's a self centred, entitled, dislikable little prick.

Fantastic racing driver, best ever over a single lap (doesnt touch schumacher as overall GOAT for me) but there is a reason he has been on the whole disliked by the british public

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Aug 16, 2018
They've resurrected the idea of the reverse grids (which I'd prefer to the quali set up they currently have) but I can understand the opposition to it because if you've got slower cars and less able drivers at the front it could be dangerous in terms of the likelihood of accidents (but a much more exciting spectacle).

My other thought was rather than quali sessions each driver just gets ONE quali lap, with the track to themselves and that time is where they start on the grid. If you make an error on that one lap tough. I'd probably do it in reverse Championship order (i.e. Championship leader goes last). Shouldn't really take much longer than a normal qualifying session.

This gives the better cars and drivers a more than fair opportunity to get to the front of the grid but also adds in more skill because you can't afford to mess up a lap, abort it and go again. Also prevents the chance of someone being held up by slower cars/in laps/out laps.

Paul Anthony

Sep 9, 2016
They've resurrected the idea of the reverse grids (which I'd prefer to the quali set up they currently have) but I can understand the opposition to it because if you've got slower cars and less able drivers at the front it could be dangerous in terms of the likelihood of accidents (but a much more exciting spectacle).

My other thought was rather than quali sessions each driver just gets ONE quali lap, with the track to themselves and that time is where they start on the grid. If you make an error on that one lap tough. I'd probably do it in reverse Championship order (i.e. Championship leader goes last). Shouldn't really take much longer than a normal qualifying session.

This gives the better cars and drivers a more than fair opportunity to get to the front of the grid but also adds in more skill because you can't afford to mess up a lap, abort it and go again. Also prevents the chance of someone being held up by slower cars/in laps/out laps.
They actually used to have a Qualy format along those lines, although they tinkered with it a bit. At first it was aggregate, and as one session had to be done on race fuel (you could refuel in those days) it meant the top teams tended to sacrifice grid position for a better fuel strategy. It did now and again set up some jumbled grids (especially if it rained during the session). See the 2005 Japanese Grand Prix, it actually made for one of the races of this century. Now and again a lower team would put in a banzai lap with a minimal fuel load just to get up front.

My problem with reverse grid races are that it works fine and dandy ina spec series like F2, even in BTCC where aero makes very little difference. But, these cars aren't spec. Sure, you'd get different race winners. At first, anyway, until the engineers got clever. But it'd feel entirely artificial. It certainly wouldn't feel as special for a driver like Gasly. Plus, it'll mean extra strain on engines, probably resulting in more money having to be spent producing extra engines. At a time when costs are at record highs and the sport is looking to cut and cap costs. I just don't see it as a completely workable scenario.

NorthernWisdom

Apr 23, 2013
They actually used to have a Qualy format along those lines, although they tinkered with it a bit. At first it was aggregate, and as one session had to be done on race fuel (you could refuel in those days) it meant the top teams tended to sacrifice grid position for a better fuel strategy. It did now and again set up some jumbled grids (especially if it rained during the session). See the 2005 Japanese Grand Prix, it actually made for one of the races of this century. Now and again a lower team would put in a banzai lap with a minimal fuel load just to get up front.

My problem with reverse grid races are that it works fine and dandy ina spec series like F2, even in BTCC where aero makes very little difference. But, these cars aren't spec. Sure, you'd get different race winners. At first, anyway, until the engineers got clever. But it'd feel entirely artificial. It certainly wouldn't feel as special for a driver like Gasly. Plus, it'll mean extra strain on engines, probably resulting in more money having to be spent producing extra engines. At a time when costs are at record highs and the sport is looking to cut and cap costs. I just don't see it as a completely workable scenario.
As long as we have DRS, it probably won't allow a totally random team to win, anyway.