Formula 1 2020 (2 Viewers)

Saddlebrains

Race over already.

Bottas really is pathetic, never even attempts to slide one past Lewis at the start. Waste of a seat, love to see Max or Leclerc or Danny ric in his seat

Paul Anthony

Williams family stepping away from the team after Monza. The team will still be called Williams, but it's just not going to be the same is it? End of an era, really.

Think the writing was on the wall many years ago, when BMW fell out with them.

NorthernWisdom

Williams family stepping away from the team after Monza. The team will still be called Williams, but it's just not going to be the same is it? End of an era, really.

Think the writing was on the wall many years ago, when BMW fell out with them.
Frank Williams and Patrick Head stepping away hastened the decline mind you, they've never seemed to have the same standards after that.

How long before they go the way of Tyrrell and other names of the past?

Paul Anthony

Frank Williams and Patrick Head stepping away hastened the decline mind you, they've never seemed to have the same standards after that.

How long before they go the way of Tyrrell and other names of the past?

Certainly wouldn't have helped. Especially in the case of Patrick Head. They never really replaced Adrian Newey either.

Last edited:

Paul Anthony

Red Bull apparently pushed to ban these party modes. And it seems they've only succeeded in screwing themselves. Mercedes still miles ahead of anyone else. Well played, Red Bull. Well played.....

Saddlebrains

Il reiterate my view of bottas being a complete waste of a seat in that Mercedes. Such a feeble man.

Anyway, come on the mclarens!

SkyBlueSoul

I do agree on purely sporting terms, Bottas just isn't good enough for that seat. On a human level it's worth acknowledging that downturn coincided with him going through a divorce and starting a new relationship. I'd promote Russell after this year if it was me.

Can't wait to see what penalty Hamilton and Giovinazzi get! Gained around 10s from pitting under a safety car...

Saddlebrains

Formula 1 needed that!

So pleased for Gasly after everything hes been through. Sainz, one more lap i feel!

Lewis ended up 2 places behind Bottas. Sums it up. Albon surely under pressure

Paul Anthony

Every now and again, a race comes along that just shouldn't happen. But somehow, it does. Spa 1998. Brazil 2003. Italy 2008, and now this. Who saw this coming at the start of the race!? Was leaning more towards wanting to Mclaren to win it, being a fan of theirs since DC and Kimi drove for them. But, congratulations to Pierre and Alpha Tauri!

Only concern I have is this. This ban on higher engine modes has now enhanced the situation whereby cars get caught up in a train behind each other, unable to use more power to overtake. I fear this was predictable, and at a time where overtaking is a premium, I can't believe the FIA didn't see that coming.

SkyBlueSoul

Absolutely buzzing for Gasly. Don't hide the fact I'm a McLaren fan but I can't begrudge him that at all after the last year or so he's had. I was actually on the edge of my seat for the last 10 laps or so.

One of the best races I've seen for a long, long time. Had a bit of everything and piqued the interest almost the entire length. Added bonus of a beer/toilet break in the middle too!

Saddlebrains

Shows just how good F1 can be without a Mercedes walking into the distance.

I agree, this power mode ban is going to bite the FIA on the arse i feel

olderskyblue

Shows just how good F1 can be without a Mercedes walking into the distance.

I agree, this power mode ban is going to bite the FIA on the arse i feel
Don’t agree

This battle has been happening every race, just not for the podium.

If people judge the race only on who wins, they miss out on lots of good battling between teams in the midfield.

Saddlebrains

Im not disagreeing, the midfield battle is insanely good. It's enjoyable for us enthusiasts.

But it's not going to attract mew followers or the younger generation. Battles at the front do that. Also am i the only one that feels Lewis might call it a day if he passes Michael's wins record this season and gets title 7? Feel if Toto leaves also, Lewis will follow

SkyBlueSoul

Don’t agree

This battle has been happening every race, just not for the podium.

If people judge the race only on who wins, they miss out on lots of good battling between teams in the midfield.
Couldn't agree more. A lot of times, this season especially, people have moaned about Hamilton/Mercedes running away with it while missing the McLaren/Renault/Racing Point battle going on behind. I accept it can be to do with the broadcasters focussing on the front more.

On the whole yes, I'd love those 3 teams to be fighting with Mercedes/Red Bull/Ferrari (maybe not this season) for the wins every week but it shouldn't detract from the excitement.

SkyBlueSoul

Im not disagreeing, the midfield battle is insanely good. It's enjoyable for us enthusiasts.

But it's not going to attract mew followers or the younger generation. Battles at the front do that. Also am i the only one that feels Lewis might call it a day if he passes Michael's wins record this season and gets title 7? Feel if Toto leaves also, Lewis will follow
I think the new generation of drivers are inadvertently working on that i.e. Norris, Leclerc, Russell, Albon with their Twitch streams. The same with F1 generally being more social media savvy these days after Ecclestone and his "Why would I try to attract younger fans, they have no money" stance.

I'm not disagreeing on the whole, a close title battle would definitely pull more fans in and I would welcome it. I'd give anything for another "Is that Glock?!" moment!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Really enjoyable and intriguing race.

Agree about the midfield battle but in terms of winning it's been largely reliant on engine failure, crashes or pit lane errors to have a different winner other than three or four drivers for some time. Not enough on driver ability. Always seems to be one or two teams light years ahead of the rest., made worse at the moment with the other Merc driver not having that killer instinct to rival his teammate. Vettel has fallen of a cliff even with a crap car and that's hampering Leclerc.

Having said that I like the idea of F1 being the technological innovation of motorsport and I'd prefer less regulation in terms of design other than those necessary for safety. I'd love to see them given pretty free reign over engines, aero etc just to see what it actually possible. Of course this will favour the big budgets and might lead to even more dominance but I just want to see what the brains can come up with.

Long term environmental concerns will eventually see some form of merger between F1 and Fe when the technology either is able to last for longer races or they incorporate some form of pitstop for 'refueling'. Fe is hampered by the tracks they use because many are far too narrow to allow for good racing.

Also end of an era with the WIlliams family no longer being personally involved. Shame they couldn't get a point.

SkyBlueSoul

26910ed503452177ad04c90ef6faa8e5.jpg

Saddlebrains

Anyone watched Drive To Survive on Netflix?

Really good series & particularly relevant with the performances of Gasly this season. He had a horrible time of it last year.

Feel season 2 wasn't as good as the first, however its a fantastic series that i would recommend to get people into the sport

Paul Anthony

In the most unsurprising Formula One news of the year..... Perez out and Vettel in at Racing Point/Aston Martin for next year....

Saddlebrains

Im interested now in what Red Bull do with Albon.

Im going to be left field here and Can see him being put back at Alpha Tauri, kvyat booted out, Hulkenberg in the second red bull

SkyBlueSoul

Fuck me, the start of this has been absolutely mental. Pure dodgem cars twice in a row.

14 cars left and a red flag called after 7/8 laps :oops:

Paul Anthony

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before in F1, with the tail enders flooring it before the leader has even put his foot down.

Mad to think we've not even had a full racing lap yet!

Users who are viewing this thread