Match Thread Forest Match Thread (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I've never once said we'll sell all our players. I do believe one will go but I don't think further sales will be necessary.

The biggest issue Robins will have is being unable to move on most unwanted contracted players without having to come to an agreement or baring the brunt of their salaries whilst they're sent out on loan.

Robins has also alluded to the fact the training ground pitches are in need of relaying which will inevitably affect his budget as it all comes out of the same pot.

Oh I wasn't referring to you specifically, don't worry. Maybe it was Boddy's comments about the 5 million offer benchmark over Christmas which make people expect something is going to happen, but I'm seeing this line coming out where it looks as if people are resigned to us having a poor transfer window. Perhaps that was the plan, or perhaps we are just overthinking it.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Last summer was yes?

Last summer was yes, as we had added revenue from the Ricoh return to utilise. However given commercial and ticketing revenue isn't likely to increase from last season therefore what was available budgetary-wise will be more or less similar this summer and probably won't increase. Especially as ST uptake probably won't be as proficient as last year.

The added issue we have this summer though as well is that we didn't have three players on Championship-sized contracts that are no longer wanted. Not ideal when Dacosta and Hilssner no further forward to the exit door.

It's clear the majority of the above need to be moved on otherwise Robins won't be able to do half of what he wants to do in the window, which is far easier said than done.

Last edited:

shmmeee

Last summer was yes?

Not really, we said at the start we were crying out for a CB, LWB and an AM and maybe another striker. And here we are ruining not having a CB, a LWB, an AM and another striker. We performed better than expected but the issues raised were valid.

Frostie

Not really, we said at the start we were crying out for a CB, LWB and an AM and maybe another striker. And here we are ruining not having a CB, a LWB, an AM and another striker. We performed better than expected but the issues raised were valid.

Fair comments but it was overplayed with many suggesting we hadn't strengthened at all & had in fact gone backwards. That was unfounded.

shmmeee

Fair comments but it was overplayed with many suggesting we hadn't strengthened at all & had in fact gone backwards. That was unfounded.

I think we all underestimated how much better we’d get as a team and individuals. Györkeres has been a revelation for example.

Frostie

Last summer was yes, as we had added revenue from the Ricoh return to utilise. However given commercial and ticketing revenue isn't likely to increase from last season therefore what was available budgetary-wise will be more or less similar this summer and probably won't increase. Especially as ST uptake probably won't be as proficient as last year.

The added issue we have this summer though as well that we didn't have last last is that we've got three players on Championship-sized contracts that are no longer wanted as well as Dacosta and Hilssner no further forward to the exit door.

It's clear the majority of the above need to be moved on otherwise Robins won't be able to do half of what he wants to do in the window, which is far easier said than done.

I totally agree, we will almost certainly sell 1 or even 2 of our top assets, that seems inevitable. Provided we get the correct fee though & reinvest wisely we've always known this, it's just the reality of where we are. That probably wouldn't have changed even if we'd made the top 6 (unless we won the playoffs).

Dacosta & particularly Hilßner will likely prove difficult to shift yes but I'm less pessimistic about the likes of Walker & Waghorn. They are both good players, it just hasn't worked out for them here. There are still a few clubs in League 1 happy to chuck cash around & the likes of Ipswich or Sunderland, where he's previously had successful spells might take Waghorn.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I totally agree, we will almost certainly sell 1 or even 2 of our top assets, that seems inevitable. Provided we get the correct fee though & reinvest wisely we've always known this, it's just the reality of where we are. That probably wouldn't have changed even if we'd made the top 6 (unless we won the playoffs).

Dacosta & particularly Hilßner will likely prove difficult to shift yes but I'm less pessimistic about the likes of Walker & Waghorn. They are both good players, it just hasn't worked out for them here. There are still a few clubs in League 1 happy to chuck cash around & the likes of Ipswich or Sunderland, where he's previously had successful spells might take Waghorn.

No the player sale/s is an inevitability. The most recent accounts attest to that.

I suspect we'll more than likely have to come to a settlement whereby we have to pay the difference between Waghorn's new contract at 'X' club and his previous contract at CCFC. That's less than ideal when his supposed wages are suggested to be around £12k pw. No League One club is paying anywhere near that.

Equally with Walker, his recent loan would've damaged his stock a fair bit. He's probably the easiest of the three to offload due to his age and prior record but still difficult all the same.

Kelly will probably get a loan but we'll have to take the brunt of his salary I'd imagine.

I can't really see any outcome other than having to mutually terminate Dacosta/Hilssner's contracts .

clint van damme

Oh I wasn't referring to you specifically, don't worry. Maybe it was Boddy's comments about the 5 million offer benchmark over Christmas which make people expect something is going to happen, but I'm seeing this line coming out where it looks as if people are resigned to us having a poor transfer window. Perhaps that was the plan, or perhaps we are just overthinking it.

Or perhaps if we hold on to everyone we'll be too delighted to worry about lack of investment elsewhere

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Or perhaps if we hold on to everyone we'll be too delighted to worry about lack of investment elsewhere

Fair point.

giphy.gif

higgs

No the player sale/s is an inevitability. The most recent accounts attest to that.

I suspect we'll more than likely have to come to a settlement whereby we have to pay the difference between Waghorn's new contract at 'X' club and his previous contract at CCFC. That's less than ideal when his supposed wages are suggested to be around £12k pw. No League One club is paying anywhere near that.

Equally with Walker, his recent loan would've damaged his stock a fair bit. He's probably the easiest of the three to offload due to his age and prior record but still difficult all the same.

Kelly will probably get a loan but we'll have to take the brunt of his salary I'd imagine.

I can't really see any outcome other than having to mutually terminate Dacosta/Hilssner's contracts .
Is Kelly on big wages

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KenilworthSkyBlue

It's not really just that, although his comments were highly suspicious.

It's also the most recent accounts coupled with the looming EFL loan which the club will surely be paying off in instalments, and not in one bulk sum at the end of the three years.

Then add in the fact we're almost certainly going to have to bear a significant proportion of the aforementioned players' contracts, player/staff bonuses will inevitably kick in for meeting seasonal targets, training ground revamp etc. There'll inevitably be other costs as well.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It's not really just that, although his comments were highly suspicious.

It's also the most recent accounts coupled with the looming EFL loan which the club will surely be paying off in instalments, and not in one bulk sum at the end of the three years.

Then add in the fact we're almost certainly going to have to bear a significant proportion of the aforementioned players' contracts, player/staff bonuses will inevitably kick in for meeting seasonal targets, training ground revamp etc. There'll inevitably be other costs as well.

You need a wank or a beer, maybe both.

Grendel

I think I’m changing my avatar to Preston Haskell IV

SlowerThanPlatt

Robins has also alluded to the fact the training ground pitches are in need of relaying which will inevitably affect his budget as it all comes out of the same pot.

Dave has said there will be no more “significant investment” at Ryton but MR keeps mentioning the need for improvements to the pitches there.

Interesting to see how this plays out in the summer, beginning to think there’s a little disconnect between manager and owners as we try to push to the next level.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Dave has said there will be no more “significant investment” at Ryton but MR keeps mentioning the need for improvements to the pitches there.

Interesting to see how this plays out in the summer, beginning to think there’s a little disconnect between manager and owners as we try to push to the next level.

I mean if he isn't being provided with basic necessities such as suitable training pitches then I wouldn't really blame him for not being totally happy.

Nor would I be surprised if there's a disconnect, as for all Robins does he still gets very little support to do the job properly.

Pretty embarrassing when we're going into our third season as a Championship club and we can't afford new training pitches.

Legia Sky Blue

I think we all underestimated how much better we’d get as a team and individuals. Györkeres has been a revelation for example.

I don't think we 'all' underestimated the likely improvement. I remember pre season that you were particularly pessimistic, but given the young age of our team and the year's experience of the Championship under their belts, it was reasonable to expect an improvement from our existing players, regardless of whatever new players were brought in.

In terms of next season I still think there is scope for further improvement from the likes of Rose, Hyam, Sheaf, Hamer, O'Hare,and even Gyokeres if they stay with us, so similar could happen next season. The trick is finding the right new players to bring in (and enough of them) to complement them and round off the squad.

shmmeee

I don't think we 'all' underestimated the likely improvement. I remember pre season that you were particularly pessimistic, but given the young age of our team and the year's experience of the Championship under their belts, it was reasonable to expect an improvement from our existing players, regardless of whatever new players were brought in.

In terms of next season I still think there is scope for further improvement from the likes of Rose, Hyam, Sheaf, Hamer, O'Hare,and even Gyokeres if they stay with us, so similar could happen next season. The trick is finding the right new players to bring in (and enough of them) to complement them and round off the squad.

I don’t think anyone predicted us starting the season like we did. I expected improvement but not on the level we’ve seen where we’ve been competitive every game bar Luton. From rarely being competitive last season. Similarly I always liked Györkeres but didn’t expect him to be scoring like he has, he’s looked a different player.

I’m sceptical we’ll see the same level of improvement but you never know. We really need a bigger squad though. We’ve not even got 18 players of the right standard at the moment.

fernandopartridge

I don’t think anyone predicted us starting the season like we did. I expected improvement but not on the level we’ve seen where we’ve been competitive every game bar Luton. From rarely being competitive last season. Similarly I always liked Györkeres but didn’t expect him to be scoring like he has, he’s looked a different player.

I’m sceptical we’ll see the same level of improvement but you never know. We really need a bigger squad though. We’ve not even got 18 players of the right standard at the moment.

Where are you getting this "rarely being competitive" last season stuff from. We lost 19 games which was just one less than Middlesbrough in 10th. Our problem was that we couldn't turn more draws, especially at home, into wins.

shmmeee

Where are you getting this "rarely being competitive" last season stuff from. We lost 19 games which was just one less than Middlesbrough in 10th. Our problem was that we couldn't turn more draws, especially at home, into wins.

We spent most games looking second best. This season we’ve spent most games looking as good if not better. We ground out results last season very well, but we looked like a newly promoted side.

Legia Sky Blue

There were a couple of games at the start of the season where our defence were at 6's and 7's, but apart from that we were mostly competitive. By the end of the season I think the team as a whole had more belief they belonged in the Championship, which helped lead onto the improvement this season.

fernandopartridge

We spent most games looking second best. This season we’ve spent most games looking as good if not better. We ground out results last season very well, but we looked like a newly promoted side.

Fair enough, it's probably fair to say that a lot of the aforementioned draws were because of this safety first approach.

shmmeee

Fair enough, it's probably fair to say that a lot of the aforementioned draws were because of this safety first approach.

Id be interested to see an average possession stat this season vs last. Feel we’re a lot more like ourselves in terms of dominating the ball this year.
@Frostie ?

Grendel

Also this season the amount of late goals is off the scale

Grendel

Grendel

Are you saying we were better last year?

I think this season was largely built on the first two - three months and last season was the reverse

Our home form this season since the first 6 wins has been extremely poor. I’d be surprised given the six games that we have left if we don’t concede more goals this season than last.

we’ve scored more but since January we’ve looked pretty predictable - retaining possession and creating chances but defensively and in terms of conceding cheap goals we’ve been poor for weeks.

We are a side that looks easy to contain and then hit when needed

SlowerThanPlatt

I think this season was largely built on the first two - three months and last season was the reverse

Our home form this season since the first 6 wins has been extremely poor. I’d be surprised given the six games that we have left if we don’t concede more goals this season than last.

we’ve scored more but since January we’ve looked pretty predictable - retaining possession and creating chances but defensively and in terms of conceding cheap goals we’ve been poor for weeks.

I think though regarding goals conceded you have to factor in we’re a more expansive team this season

fernandopartridge

I disagree with that, we're not easy to contain (just listen to what other managers say) we're just too easy to score against. The amount of late goals we score show we can breakthrough but it's too often when already behind.

shmmeee

I disagree with that, we're not easy to contain (just listen to what other managers say) we're just too easy to score against. The amount of late goals we score show we can breakthrough but it's too often when already behind.

I think this season being more expansive has exposed the lack of quality in the back three particularly. I like Moore and he’s a massive step up but he’s not going to win you many points, more just not lose them like Marosi/Wilson did. I also think our WBs and DM have been suspect with their defensive duties. Last season was more backs to the wall and defending in numbers so papered over the cracks a little.

The real thing I’ve noticed since Fadz has been out has been lack of organisation. Not helped no doubt by Rose and Hyam swapping around game by game and Bidwell coming in for JCS.

Really think the back three has to be the focus for improvement over the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread