Festive fixture memories (1 Viewer)

no_loyalty

Last year's boxing day was so boring, without a City match to look forward to.

ms639

Beating man utd late Dec 1997 followed by winning 3-1 at anfield a few days later in the FA Cup was pretty special. That Liverpool game was my first away game so that holds good memories for that reason too

Mad! Exactly the same went to both and that Liverpool game was my first away day. The old man convinced I was a lucky charm. What a time to be alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best memory as a young un was the Villa Boxing Day 3.0 Micky Quinn 1992 doing the business. I remember that was my first home game I went with mates and without my dad and it was special. Up to then we had always sat down and I went to the spion kop. Great moment. In recent times my god I miss the games SO MUCH I’d give a months wages at the moment to recreate last seasons 4.1 aways back to back at Wycombe and Tranmere . Good times. Take care guys PUSB

torchomatic

Pretty sure that we won 1-0. But a poor game - Souness played that day
You're right. Just looked it up, it was 1-0. Remember it being a terrible game.

torchomatic

I was at this game too and there was a real edge throughout the day. I remember a copper getting his helmet knocked off and it being thrown amongst our fans like a stray balloon. We were so tightly packed that the Police couldn't get in to retrieve it. I also remembert hat coming out the ground felt petty dangerous, being dragged with the crowd down the stairwell from the terraces when my feet barely touched the ground.

Maybe that's why the police sheparded us away from the street where we'd parked. I also remember it being a pretty nasty atmosphere, not helped by the score.

Other thing I remember is the constant singing of "one man went to mow.."

Do you remember Bobby Gould running onto the pitch?

clint van damme

Maybe that's why the police sheparded us away from the street where we'd parked. I also remember it being a pretty nasty atmosphere, not helped by the score.

I remember Gould running on the pitch at the home game trying to calm things down when there'd been fighting on the pitch, hence the early Sunday kick off in the away game.
Can't recall it happening at Filbert street but there was so much going on that day

Sky Blue Harry H

Two of the games I remember at Filbert Street (late 70s) - one we were in a corner of the terrace, and City started singing ' we all hate Wolves and Wolves etc, and there was a group of Leicester in there who sang Leeds instead, and It all kicked off. Similarly there was a game when we were in a part of their end and there was a real edge. Some blokes (Leicester) were in the queue to get in and threatening they were going to stab us inside - general gobbiness, and soon into the game they got attacked by a group of City - was a chaotic, menacing atmosphere throughout. Thought they were mad for going in with the City in the first place.

Grendel

My Xmas memory happened 36 years ago today. We were away at Filbert Street. Crap game. Lost 5-1. Afterwards, although we could literally see our car where it was parked, the police outside the ground wouldn't let us go to it, they herded us all around the ground with the rest of the City fans.

My main memory though is Bobby Gould who, for some reason, ran into the pitch from the touchline, flailing his arms everywhere. Something upset him. Never found out what though.

That was hilarious. For some reason I was in a stand next to Leicester fans who were fine. One said “what’s that fan doing running on the pitch” - “that’s our manager”

He’d totally lost the plot by then. Didn’t we go to Luton and get thumped there as well? Lots of fighting from memory - was always a nightmare Kenilworth Road

Legia Sky Blue

Yes - didn't Gould resign immediately after the game? If not he didn't stay much longer! If I remember right it was a weird game where we started really well, and seemed on top but they then scored every time they attacked, when we were unable to cope with Linekar and Smith.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yes - didn't Gould resign immediately after the game? If not he didn't stay much longer! If I remember right it was a weird game where we started really well, and seemed on top but they then scored every time they attacked, when we were unable to cope with Linekar and Smith.

Think he resigned after a tonking at QPR?

torchomatic

Think he resigned after a tonking at QPR?

That was after his second spell in charge. Me and my mate had gone to Scotland to see Queen of the South. We heard about Gould resigning on 606 on the way back.

wantageskyblue

Without being pedantic the Norwich game wasn’t boxing day
That’s right we played at Villa the day before drawing 1-1. Can you imagine the fuss that would be made nowadays about playing 2 games in 2 games, especially with smaller squads and only 1 sub?

wantageskyblue

My Xmas memory happened 36 years ago today. We were away at Filbert Street. Crap game. Lost 5-1. Afterwards, although we could literally see our car where it was parked, the police outside the ground wouldn't let us go to it, they herded us all around the ground with the rest of the City fans.

My main memory though is Bobby Gould who, for some reason, ran into the pitch from the touchline, flailing his arms everywhere. Something upset him. Never found out what though.
Unfortunately I was there too that day. If I remember correctly the ref was giving Leicester everything and that’s why Gould was so annoyed. I also think Laurie Cunningham played for Leicester that day.

Johhny Blue

That’s right we played at Villa the day before drawing 1-1. Can you imagine the fuss that would be made nowadays about playing 2 games in 2 games, especially with smaller squads and only 1 sub?
But they didn’t have to play as hard because there were only 2 points on offer

wantageskyblue

Boxing Day. Elland Rd. 1-0 down, finished 3-1 to us. Huckerby was absolutely unplayable that day - one of the greatest performances I have ever seen in a Coventry shirt. Fans truly fantastic as well - as soon as we went 1-0 down we turned the volume up and outsang the home faithful.
I was there that day too. Travelled up on my own. You are right Huckerby was on fire that day, he ran them ragged. Gary Mac took a load of abuse from the home support.

torchomatic

What on Earth made you do that?!

During the 90s me and my mate went all over Scotland watching games from QoS (just over the border) all the way up to the Highlands. We only had one rule; we never went to top league footy. The biggest ground we went to was Kilmarnock and that was only because the game we were heading for was called off.

Raith was a favourite. Ayr United too.

Brighton Sky Blue

During the 90s me and my mate went all over Scotland watching games from QoS (just over the border) all the way up to the Highlands. We only had one rule; we never went to top league footy. The biggest ground we went to was Kilmarnock and that was only because the game we were heading for was called off.

Raith was a favourite. Ayr United too.

Have seen games at Raith but not Ayr, I lived on the east coast so saw the Fife and Dundee clubs quite a bit, occasionally Aberdeen and Hibs

NortonSkyBlue

Unfortunately I was there too that day. If I remember correctly the ref was giving Leicester everything and that’s why Gould was so annoyed. I also think Laurie Cunningham played for Leicester that day.
No he didn’t, it was Lynex that was the architect of that Leicester win and Lineker was deadly as he gained a stellar reputation. As we had beaten Luton 4-2 away and Liverpool 4-0 in the previous games it was a chastening experience on the pitch and the good old days off the pitch.

Spurs 'City Away Kit' Kit

Hard to beat the 4-3 v Spurs in 86-87 season

Arsenal 3-2
Man Utd 3-2

As a kid - Spurs 2-2 (my old man spent most of it in the bar!)

Always a family day out for us - oh yeah - 1-0 v Middlesbrough

My favourite is Monners first - it’s where my name came from and my favourite goal with Cyrilles header!

Grendel

No he didn’t, it was Lynex that was the architect of that Leicester win and Lineker was deadly as he gained a stellar reputation. As we had beaten Luton 4-2 away and Liverpool 4-0 in the previous games it was a chastening experience on the pitch and the good old days off the pitch.

Got your seasons mixed up. We got hammered by Leicester then got dumped at Luton in the space of 3 days

wantageskyblue

You are right, it was 2 years later that he came on as a sub for them and I think we lost 2-0.

letsallsingtogether

Boxing Day. Elland Rd. 1-0 down, finished 3-1 to us. Huckerby was absolutely unplayable that day - one of the greatest performances I have ever seen in a Coventry shirt. Fans truly fantastic as well - as soon as we went 1-0 down we turned the volume up and outsang the home faithful.
I remember that game took my daughter and her friend, we sang Sky Blue Army the whole game they were going mad.

Users who are viewing this thread