Fans back in grounds in September (1 Viewer)

Frank Sidebottom

"As of 4 July there will be the biggest leap back to (the near) normal we have seen so far.

Getting a haircut, having a pint, staying in a hotel, going on holiday will all be possible.

So will going to a place of worship for a service - albeit without singing! Singing is seen as a particular danger."

That's probably the main reason we won't be in football grounds any time soon.

David O'Day

"As of 4 July there will be the biggest leap back to (the near) normal we have seen so far.

Getting a haircut, having a pint, staying in a hotel, going on holiday will all be possible.

So will going to a place of worship for a service - albeit without singing! Singing is seen as a particular danger."

The Dutch are allowing crowds from September with no singing allowed. Be great for those who sat by the halfway line in the tesco stand.

We're about a month to to 6 weeks behind them

Cranfield Sky Blue

But I barely know you.

Oh....go then, okay.

giphy.gif

Surely that’s only the first wave??

Saddlebrains

Thing is they need to make a call one way or another within the next couple of weeks.

For example. You cant say yes fans in from October then bang, not allowed again until say March/April.

Then you also run the risk of saying no fans in all season but then looking ridiculous if it pams out ok and with hindsight could have had 100% capacity from November.

Something has to give. And soon

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Thing is they need to make a call one way or another within the next couple of weeks.

For example. You cant say yes fans in from October then bang, not allowed again until say March/April.

Then you also run the risk of saying no fans in all season but then looking ridiculous if it pams out ok and with hindsight could have had 100% capacity from November.

Something has to give. And soon
Can also see renegotiation of tv deals, how long are people going to watch these training games.

Johhny Blue

Sunderland will be OK

Saddlebrains

Can also see renegotiation of tv deals, how long are people going to watch these training games.

Yea wouldn't surprise me. Its fucking shite lets be honest.

Can see a whole season of no fans having an impact on strange tables also. Teams like Everton, Newcastle etc in the prem that rely on vociferous intimidating atmospheres to help pick up points. Wouldn't have an advantage like that

Alkhen

They are going to have to sell season tickets for Ifollow and just show everything aren't they. Can't see any other solution. Could be months and months before before things are relaxed again and even then it will be restricted. Plenty will stay away.

How much would you pay the club for a season pass for all home and away games on ifollow?

Saddlebrains

Could this basically bring down leagues 1 +2? Deffo league 2. Can see half of league 1 surviving. Such a shame but cannot see any way out of it for tour accrington, rochdales grimsbys etc

chiefdave

Could this basically bring down leagues 1 +2? Deffo league 2. Can see half of league 1 surviving. Such a shame but cannot see any way out of it for tour accrington, rochdales grimsbys etc
Given there was a lot of L1 & L2 clubs saying it wan't financially viable to complete last season, which would have meant another 10 games, you have to wonder how they will play a full season.

Not sure what the alternative is and I wouldn't be too confident in the EFL having much of a plan.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Given there was a lot of L1 & L2 clubs saying it wan't financially viable to complete last season, which would have meant another 10 games, you have to wonder how they will play a full season.

Not sure what the alternative is and I wouldn't be too confident in the EFL having much of a plan.
Not just 1 and 2 Look at some of the debts in the championship and Premier for that matter

Alkhen

Why doesn't every club just start next season on the assumption that it'll be no fans all season. That way they could sell virtual Ifollow season tickets at highish prices. If by any miracle things do get back to normal they could do cash back on the Ifollow or something. They could sweeten the deal by showing the away games in the cost.

Not ideal but I think a lot would commit if it was the only option

Magwitch

Good point Alkhen we should all set our stalls out for behind closed doors and ifollow, fans allowed in again for matches I reckon is a way off and when it starts it will be very low numbers and no away fans, hope I’m wrong but with this serious spike in Cov19 I see Government not allowing it for a while, it’s been proved, tried and tested BCD works. Atleast it gives us time on our stadium issue.

chiefdave

Why doesn't every club just start next season on the assumption that it'll be no fans all season. That way they could sell virtual Ifollow season tickets at highish prices. If by any miracle things do get back to normal they could do cash back on the Ifollow or something. They could sweeten the deal by showing the away games in the cost.

I’d happily pay for a season ticket on that basis.

Nonleagueherewecome

I think too many would go bust, especially the lower leagues. Like everything else that people have missed and wanted "back to normal" (pubs, restaurants etc), there was just this desperate hope that it was clearing up, when it was always inevitable that there would be a spike once lockdown was eased.

The reality is that there are dozens of clubs-and lots of other businesses, perhaps even whole sectors-that HAD to "go back to normal" to survive. Many won't and we are looking at the biggest economic change in decades. It's a hell of a challenge for capitalism, which dictates survivial of the strongest and that things be allowed to fail-but it's so big that there's state aid propping up the whole economy now!

ccfcway

Deffo time to charge fans to watch the 3pm sat games next season in U.K. if no fans allowed in the stadium

Nonleagueherewecome

Oh and has anyone seen that the cricket also had their crowds cancelled?: County pilots for return of crowds cancelled by UK government | ESPNcricinfo.com

Cricket is in huge trouble. They were desperate to get fans back, but there's no chance of that this season now.

The commentator covering one of the games said that the clubs are quite angry at getting less than 24 hrs notice, finding out from a Johnson press conference then having to rush around trying to contact the fans who were coming! Very much in the spirit of this governments "make it up on the hoof" response to crisis...

chiefdave

The commentator covering one of the games said that the clubs are quite angry at getting less than 24 hrs notice, finding out from a Johnson press conference then having to rush around trying to contact the fans who were coming! Very much in the spirit of this governments "make it up on the hoof" response to crisis...
Not to mention they will have spent money getting things set up to allow crowds in line with the regulations they were told would be in place, same with theatres and places like that.

Makes no sense. You can go and sit in the pub all day but 1,000 people sat outside at Edgbaston (capacity 25,000) is an issue?

Nonleagueherewecome

Not to mention they will have spent money getting things set up to allow crowds in line with the regulations they were told would be in place, same with theatres and places like that.

Makes no sense. You can go and sit in the pub all day but 1,000 people sat outside at Edgbaston (capacity 25,000) is an issue?
Totally agree, it's been driving me nuts since they re-opened! It has to be because if they weren't allowed to open, there wouldn't be any pubs left in business after this is all over? And they're also an important tax income stream.

Whereas cricket doesn't bring the government much money in, doesn't annoy as many people by being shut as pubs being shut does, and is also a visible example of "taking action to reduce infection". With the pubs, there seems to be a "we won't mention the obvious if you don't, nudge nudge". At least until the deathtoll spike is too much to ignore...

Sbarcher

Totally agree, it's been driving me nuts since they re-opened! It has to be because if they weren't allowed to open, there wouldn't be any pubs left in business after this is all over? And they're also an important tax income stream.

Whereas cricket doesn't bring the government much money in, doesn't annoy as many people by being shut as pubs being shut does, and is also a visible example of "taking action to reduce infection". With the pubs, there seems to be a "we won't mention the obvious if you don't, nudge nudge". At least until the deathtoll spike is too much to ignore...
Son is getting married next month. Planning to have 30 at the reception but now Boris has put a stop to it. We were having it at a pub. 30 people can still go to the pub but 30 at a reception can’t. How does that work?

chiefdave

Im starting to think the whole of next season will be BCD
I'm struggling to see how it will be possible. The scientists are talking about us having reached the limit of what we can open up to the point that they're talking about closing pubs to allow schools to open. Letting people into football won't be a priority.

The PL can survive on TV money, assuming people will keep paying to watch games with no crowds and no atmosphere. Think thats a harder sell when you're starting a new season than finishing a season that had to be stopped. But can the other divisions? This has to be something the EFL has discussed but even if you said we'll skip next season and start back up for 2021/22 you've still got players under contract you have to pay.

BornSlippySkyBlue

I'm struggling to see how it will be possible. The scientists are talking about us having reached the limit of what we can open up to the point that they're talking about closing pubs to allow schools to open. Letting people into football won't be a priority.

The PL can survive on TV money, assuming people will keep paying to watch games with no crowds and no atmosphere. Think thats a harder sell when you're starting a new season than finishing a season that had to be stopped. But can the other divisions? This has to be something the EFL has discussed but even if you said we'll skip next season and start back up for 2021/22 you've still got players under contract you have to pay.
...and stadiums to maintain. Oh, hold on...

Personally would be happy to pay for ifollow / sky / whatever access to all games. Getting used to watching games BCD now, I could definitely see myself watching every game on tv if it was the only option. Question is how many others would and how much revenue can the clubs generate that way?

samccov1987

Was relatively confident season ticket holders would be in the ground for October but not at all sure now; something really seems to have spooked the Government.

I know they have ifollow but I’d love it if they could get Sky to run a club season pass, streaming on ifollow is always a bit glitchy for me.

The other thing is, if we have a season bcd will the 3 o’clock blackout ever return? A bit like work from home the genie is out the bottle.

Shoot the messenger but 20k modular stadium may not be far wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread