Fair play to Thorn (3 Viewers)

@richh87

Good man. I reckon that if he gets sacked before Saturday it'll all boil over at the Donny game.

I hope so. SISU deserve dogs abuse. I just hope the short sighted cretins who remove the piss poor squad from the equation when weighing things up and have a go at Thorn instead of SISU get trampled to death in the confusion.

Brighton Sky Blue

I hope so. SISU deserve dogs abuse. I just hope the short sighted cretins who remove the piss poor squad from the equation when weighing things up and have a go at Thorn instead of SISU get trampled to death in the confusion.

Wishing death on other posters? Smooth.

Paxman II

I know I know...everything is SISU's fault and they have lied all along right? Facts to support this?

They as owners appear to have been apathetic to our cause at best but regardless i don't buy it entirely that you all want Thorn exonerated from any blame?

Thought tonight showed just why Thorn is a poor manager. We could and really should have survived this regardless.

brinner

I know I know...everything is SISU's fault and they have lied all along right? Facts to support this?.
we all know that several of the sisu puppet masters have lied to us in the past.

we lost our best 3 players in the summer in Westwood, Gunnar and King, we replace Westy with 2 free transfer keepers who are nowhere near as good, Gunnar was not replaced and King was not replaced.

We then sell Turner to Cardiff for peanuts so we can finally sign a replacement for King who couldnt cut the mustard at Norwich and was not fit, has shown a few glimpses lately but is far too little too late.

Westwood, Turner, Gunnarsson, King...............a spine that would get in to any side in this division.

We splutter along until xmas with a string of inconsistent performances which is expected from a team half full of kids who are having to learn their trade in the Championship rather than a youth team or reserve side, we suddenly look like we might actually be picking up a bit after christmas and low and behold the top scorer gets sold!!! Fantastic thing to do when ur the loewst scorers in the league and rock bottom, could we have stayed up if we had kept Juke aswell of loaning Nimley and Norwood??

Its all ok though cos when i met Tim Fisher a couple of months ago he was telling me that were gonna break even for this financial year, i pointed out that it was probably going to be to the detriment of our place in the championship and that it was all well and good breaking even for the financial year of april 2011-april 2012, but what happens on the 1st of May when we are relegated and have just lost £4 million revenue from tv money etc pretty much overnight?? im still waiting for the answer.

Thorn was told after the Blackpool game in January that we are going to have to sell players in the summer regardless of what league we are in.

Sisu are the scum of the earth and if they are still here in 6 months time then god help us.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Sheepy

Whatever your opinion on Thorn as a manager, you must feel a massive degree of sympathy for the bloke. Injuries have caught up with us. He has picked up more tactical nous than people like Sven showed at Leicester and was getting results. No investment = relegation. As for speaking out sooner, the guy needs a job so why get yourself sacked for spiteful comments

Big Mo

Whatever you think of him as a manager I think he deserves huge respect for the dignified way he's conducted himself with zero support. In his position many would have thrown in the towel and told sisu to fuck off. Personally I'd thank him for sticking it out and doing his best even though its sadly proven not to be enough.

AngryAnt

Feel sorry for the guy. He was a very very good scout and he stepped into the role as manager, still cutting his teeth on it in the championship is probably a big mistake and yes he made some gaffs and tactical errors but really no one could have done much better with the squad we had.
Hope if he does go he leaves rather than gets the sack, just to put two fingers up at SISU who now have to go.

georgehudson

we all make mistakes,
don't blame the monkey, blame the organ grinder, analogy applies,
as does previous misdemeanors by those persons we know,
just don't blame someone who has done his best but has systematically & continually had the rug pulled from under him

SkyBlueUkeman

I wish people would stop chucking blame this way and that in times of crsis. It helps no-one.

Coventry went on a run of 7 games unbeaten? Where were the protests then? SISU hadn't gone away, they were still there.

And these problems are part of the fabric of the club. If our club was infected with a disease, it would be called 'Financial Herpes'. There is and will never be no 'Quick Fix'. McGinnity, Robinson and Richardson fucked club money up the spout and syphened off any profit. They couldn't give two flying fucks what appened to us in the future. From then on its been terminal. The handling and handover from HR to The Ricoh was poisoned from the start. We have no home, no revenue and no hope. hey are taking away the CCFC, Ricoh and sky Blues seats for the Olympic games. You should probably only expect the Ricoh seats back next season. We'll be playing at the Butts Park Arena. You know, and I know, that the Ricoh has never felt like home. Its been a cold bowl with a piece of grass in it. Im sure the owners would much rather put a roof on it, tear up the grass and turn it into a concert hall.

SISU kept us from Admin. we must not forget that. Yes maybe the handling from then on was atrocious, but we may have been given 3-4 extra years.

Sorry to be so morbid... but I have a HORRIFIC feeling that the Life Support machine is about to be switched off.

BCFC Exile

Why didn't he have the balls sooner????? Self preservation is the reason, because he knows he isn't a manager and no other club would want him..... In my opinion

Sorry to say chaps but this about sums your gaffer up. From an outsider looking in I listened to Thorn and every time i do he is whinging about it being someone else's fault. he stepped into the breach, if he was not happy he should have been man enough to say it at the time. To come out now and say it is so unprofessional however correct he may be.. he has done his job chances a lot of damage at whatever level. I have to say i thought you were doomed as soon as he was appointed; he's just another Keith Millen... maybe a good coach but the motivational skills of a slug. Sisu clearly did not have the cash to appoint someone who knew what they were doing. He should have turned it down and built his reputation slowly but surely same as Millen.. now where is he? in the wilderness where Thorn will be very soon and you guys... suffering the consequences of inept management and owners. Wish someone else was going down truthfully but thats football. Our job is not yet done but i think we will garner sufficient in the next two games to put it out of your reach. Our performance tonight over West Ham was very solid as it has been against most of the top teams including 6 pts v the saints and two draws v west ham. Hope you come back soon; now go and win the League 1 title. All the best.

Otis

Cheers for that.

We'll be back up to join you soon.

Well, give it another 20 years or so anyway.

Lord_Nampil

I have a problem with what he said last night! He basically said its not my fault it's the boards .. I agree he got delt a worsened hand but I'm sorry you work with the budget u have even if that means u accept help from Lee Carsley as he was offered or help from Marcus Hall and Bobby Gould for free which he was offered... So I actually think its pretty bad that he blames the board when he actually could have had help and that's the problem I have with his argument!!!

Astute

I have a problem with what he said last night! He basically said its not my fault it's the boards .. I agree he got delt a worsened hand but I'm sorry you work with the budget u have even if that means u accept help from Lee Carsley as he was offered or help from Marcus Hall and Bobby Gould for free which he was offered... So I actually think its pretty bad that he blames the board when he actually could have had help and that's the problem I have with his argument!!!

So out of Gould and Hall which one would have become the player we needed to put the ball in the back of the net?

Budget he was given? You mean selling all the players with any value that any clubs were willing to pay any money for and not replace? Some budget that.

Yes I suppose there was no fault of the board. There you go, I am getting as dillusional as yourself :facepalm:

BCFC Exile

How exciting that would be! Funny thing is I don't rule it out either. Bristol will relax and loose two games. City can now relax as if relegated and win two games. But what about Portsmouth? There's the rub!

'Loose'-n up perhaps but not 'lose' two games. And even if we did relax a bit, which we won't, the odds are fairly slim. That said, stranger things have happened.

Lord_Nampil

So out of Gould and Hall which one would have become the player we needed to put the ball in the back of the net?

Budget he was given? You mean selling all the players with any value that any clubs were willing to pay any money for and not replace? Some budget that.

Yes I suppose there was no fault of the board. There you go, I am getting as dillusional as yourself :facepalm:

Did I say I didn't fault the board???

Also if u get free offers from people to help u give advise or play for u and u say no, u don't help ur self!!! If you want to know I blame Ken the orange knobhead for the crap nature he did in running the club last summer!!! Thorn was the 2nd problem, and what he said last night just summed him up!!!

BCFC Exile

Also if u get free offers from people to help u give advise or play for u and u say no, u don't help ur self!!! If you want to know I blame Ken the orange knobhead for the crap nature he did in running the club last summer!!! Thorn was the 2nd problem, and what he said last night just summed him up!!!

Out of unrelated interest I assume you were not one who was employed or knew someone who was when Peugeot pulled the plug at Ryton? Not being from Coventry I always thought the frogs pulled the rug from under a decent factory only for patriotic reasons and not for proper business ones but those who are from the city must have felt a lot worse than me.

Go on.. sweep out the broom cupboard and up-load the shirt from 1977 ;)

BCFC Exile

double post

Last edited:

BCFC Exile

Very slim....but either way it's a thrilling end to the season, no doubt about that.

I guess i would be saying the same thing in your shoes.. always have to cling to the faint hopes. From my point of view, as you might appreciate, it would be a lot more 'thrilling' if you were, say, two points behind and not 5.

BCFC Exile

Very slim....but either way it's a thrilling end to the season, no doubt about that.

I guess i would be saying the same thing in your shoes.. always have to cling to the faint hopes. From my point of view, as you might appreciate, it would be a lot more 'thrilling' if you were, say, two points behind and not 5.

Otis

Well, you're partly right. I think it was right and proper for Thorn to have a go at the board and Sisu. Remember all the promises of loan players lined up? The promises of leaving no stone unturned in bringing in new faces?
Thorn was screwed over with empty promises, as was Boothroyd and Dowie.

I too think Thorn should have taken any help offered though, even if it just meant the likes of Gould or Hall going into the dressing room to give motivational pep talks on top of AT's own words.

Mind, as someone said on the phone in last night, with our knowing we were in for a relegation dogfight from the off, Thorn wasn't the right man to lead us in the first place. Many City fans though wanted Thorn in charge when it appaears an older, wiser head was required.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

TommyAtkins

Thinly (or not too thinly) veiled digs at Sisu and the board.

A very disappointing response from Thorn.

He should keep his mouth shut in public and express his frustrations in private.

The time for lashing out at the Board was at the end of the season.

Lost some respect for Thorn now.

Grendel

Too little, too late, Andy....a far cry from your comments earlier this season....SISU are to blame, but this was an attempt to deflect the blame away from his own shortcomings...losing tonight was a joke.
Was the team motivated? I didn't see it.
I'd have more respect if AT had said that the blame is shared.....including his own failings, and some of the players.....especially the senior pros, McSheff, Bell and Clingan seem disinterested....

The most sensible post on here.
The so called rebellious interview was typically turgid affair with foster and thorn muttering to each other. If the season was half way through all thorn would have said the same pointless platitudes he has all season. All this is is yet another attempt to deflect any blame and to maintain popularity with the fans. He won't even make a statement now and go - 2 weeks salary left I suppose.

TommyAtkins

The most sensible post on here.
The so called rebellious interview was typically turgid affair with foster and thorn muttering to each other. If the season was half way through all thorn would have said the same pointless platitudes he has all season. All this is is yet another attempt to deflect any blame and to maintain popularity with the fans. He won't even make a statement now and go - 2 weeks salary left I suppose.

Most of Thorn's comments throughout the season were spot on. Good leadership involves unity in public and Thorn showed, whatever his misgivings.

Bleating in public is cowardly.

Otis

Most of Thorn's comments throughout the season were spot on. Good leadership involves unity in public and Thorn showed, whatever his misgivings.

Think it has been brewing for a long time now and he just blurted out all his pent up frustration. Can hardly blame him for that.

Lloyd

It's called finally having enough with all the crap he's been given throughout the season, at least he didn't go all out on them, I'm guessing he's leaving that until the end of the season when he's given his post sacking interview.

Otis

As we don't have a pot to piss in, expect Lee Carsley to be the next man to be shafted by this board.

Got a feeling though that Carlsey would be a lot more outspoken.

TommyAtkins

It's called finally having enough with all the crap he's been given throughout the season, at least he didn't go all out on them, I'm guessing he's leaving that until the end of the season when he's given his post sacking interview.

His correct response was to deliver that frustration to the Board throughout the season

And/or resign if necessary.

Anyone in that position of responsibility needs to show unity and dignity in public, not whinge like a child

Colonel Mustard

Think it has been brewing for a long time now and he just blurted out all his pent up frustration. Can hardly blame him for that.

Dignity is an issue, though. AT should know that the majority of fans are on his side and has a seemingly limitless amount of rope; there was no need to have a dig at ownership. It did strike me as pretty desperate - I'd have had far more respect if he took full responsibility (which, again, should be easy enough when you know you have such support).

torchomatic

I think maybe it had just dawned on him that really the game is up. I'm Mr Optimistic but even I know we will be going down barring a miracle. I think Thorn would've kept his mouth shut if we'd been safe.

Otis

I am a little surprised he didn't have a few more thinly veiled digs throughout the season to be honest.

Do agree though he should have taken some of the responsibilty himself. He did tell the fans that he believed that we were a mid-table side didn't he.

Unfortunately, on the playing side of things, the buck stops with the manager.

Users who are viewing this thread