Fabio Tavares - Sky Sports Rumour (1 Viewer)

Great_Expectations

Never get the criticism or negativity around this sort of signing (even if it’s just a rumour at this point).

Why wouldn’t you want youngsters with high potential within the wider squad. Low risk with a potentially high reward.

Don’t underestimate the effect of playing with better players, coaches, conditions and environment on a players development either.

mark82

We're a bit short of strikers in the development group, so this makes a lot of sense. Will bridge the gulf between the first team and young guys like Harrison Nee who is too far away at the moment.

cc84cov

Or budget has become available due to the departures of Hillsner, Camp, Giles and potentially Kasta as well as from the upcoming Sky matches this month which should bring in, in excess of £200k.

I don't know why you continue to tag me in your inane posts as I've reiterated this to you before. I've even said previously that our transfer business is probably going to be dependant on moving players on in order to make room in the budget. This has been a mainstay policy since Robins' arrival for the January transfer window. I'm unsure why you think now - during which time football clubs are running on fumes - you think it's business as usual?
As I said way back we will sign players for fees in jan

Gibbo

Reid and Tovares seem to be a new strand in our acquisition strategy. The European one is being closed off, this maybe the replacement.

Originally we had just a youth scheme - gestation period for a player up to 10 years & high wasteage. Under Robins we added 'development' - McCallum, Hyam and Westbrooke - young players with potential, coming from non-league or bigger clubs who had no place for them. These guys had no previous 1st team experience. Gestation period much shorter 1-2 years.

Reid and Tovares seem to shortening the gestation period before they can play in the 1st team even further, maybe 6 months - 1 year. They both have 1st team experience, no matter how limited, but in lower leagues. There are similarities with the purchase of Baka but the difference is that we expected him to go into the 1st team straight away, which he did.

We must expect a degree of wastage in this is a new strand, but it has to be better than the European strategy (one and two halves out of 5)

We urgently need more output from the money we spend on development in all its guises, bearing in mind that the higher you go up the leagues, the harder that becomes. Only Shipley and McCallum currently in serious contention for a matchday place on the pitch.

Briles

We've only got 1 u23s striker at the mo so defo for the future

Mucca Mad Boys

Interesting signing. Probably means the end for Baka as this signing would be a new project for MR to work on. With Godden and Walker to come back into the fold, our options upfront won't be too bad for where we're at in the league.

covcity4life

Nothing to suggest we will stop looking to Europe imo. People looking into things too much

Best recruitment looks domestic and international. Jump at an opportunity when it comes about. Hamer alone makes it worthwhile

Sky Blue Pete

Reid and Tovares seem to be a new strand in our acquisition strategy. The European one is being closed off, this maybe the replacement.

Originally we had just a youth scheme - gestation period for a player up to 10 years & high wasteage. Under Robins we added 'development' - McCallum, Hyam and Westbrooke - young players with potential, coming from non-league or bigger clubs who had no place for them. These guys had no previous 1st team experience. Gestation period much shorter 1-2 years.

Reid and Tovares seem to shortening the gestation period before they can play in the 1st team even further, maybe 6 months - 1 year. They both have 1st team experience, no matter how limited, but in lower leagues. There are similarities with the purchase of Baka but the difference is that we expected him to go into the 1st team straight away, which he did.

We must expect a degree of wastage in this is a new strand, but it has to be better than the European strategy (one and two halves out of 5)

We urgently need more output from the money we spend on development in all its guises, bearing in mind that the higher you go up the leagues, the harder that becomes. Only Shipley and McCallum currently in serious contention for a matchday place on the pitch.
We also signed baka for league 1 and Max for league 2 so they’ve fulfilled their expectation in that respect

Frostie

We urgently need more output from the money we spend on development in all its guises, bearing in mind that the higher you go up the leagues, the harder that becomes. Only Shipley and McCallum in the current squad, for a lot of cash.

Great post.

You only have to look at some of the other teams at this level which have done away with their development squads all together - Birmingham, Preston, Brentford etc.

Brentford have been very successful without it, instead relying heavily on undervalued recruitment, particularly from Europe. It will be interesting to see what Brentford do now with the new Brexit rules as players like Benrahma wouldn't now be eligible but they have been successful domestically with the likes of Ollie Watkins too.

Just to be clear I absolutely do not want us to be doing away with the Academy & development teams but the point is bringing through your own definitely gets much tougher the higher you progress so bringing talent into the development pool from other clubs makes perfect sense.

Gibbo

Brexit rules will make acquisition very difficult from Europe for lower league clubs. The incoming player has to have points, that are earned by the quality of the league you are playing in (the dutch league does not count highly incidentally), or international appearances for instance. Premiership players are likley to have these points while our most likely acquisitions will not. There is a arbitration panel, so Hamer may have got in under that. Hilssner would definetely have failed - German tier 3. Anyway, as a strategy it is too hit and miss.

hill83

I'm Not going to make the mistake of every signing we've ever made and suggest I'm excited and he can do well etc etc...

This doesn't fill me with any sort of enjoyment, and its one I can't understand... I'd understand it if we were in league 1 and 2... But at this level? Not sure

You’ve made the same mistake

skyblueelephant76

Brexit rules will make acquisition very difficult from Europe for lower league clubs. The incoming player has to have points, that are earned by the quality of the league you are playing in (the dutch league does not count highly incidentally), or international appearances for instance. Premiership players are likley to have these points while our most likely acquisitions will not. There is a arbitration panel, so Hamer may have got in under that. Hilssner would definetely have failed - German tier 3. Anyway, as a strategy it is too hit and miss.
Hillsner wouldn't definitely have failed. Points are awarded for youth international appearances and he represented Germany at 4 age groups from under 16 to under 19. It is also based on the pedigree of the selling club and Paderborn had just been in the German top flight when we signed him.

Frostie

Hillsner wouldn't definitely have failed. Points are awarded for youth international appearances and he represented Germany at 4 age groups from under 16 to under 19. It is also based on the pedigree of the selling club and Paderborn had just been in the German top flight when we signed him.

That's not right, one of the criteria does refer to the owning club but only if he appeared for them in that competition, Hilßner didn't.
Most of his points would be based on playing for a Band 6 club, the lowest possible. His youth appearances were whilst being registered for Weirder Bremen's reserve team too so won't add up massively.

He would have been miles away from the points needed to qualify.

Users who are viewing this thread