Fa cup (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Lets face it....on the whole, football these days is shit....(I sound just like me dad used to)

Its awash with cash, yet many clubs are on the brink, ticket prices are too high but atmospheres are generally sterile, fixtures & KO times are pissed about on the whim of the TV schedule etc. & post SKY & the Premier league, many fans have been slowly brainwashed into thinking finishing 4th bottom in the top flight is better than winning the league cup or even the FA cup....

....still 100 times better than that egg-chasing shite though....and always will be!

99.9% of the time I agree with your sentiments entirely. Then I think of days like Chesterfield away this year, my sons first away game, and going mental when JM pops up with the equaliser.

2,000 Sky Blues going mental and the look on my lads face. It's an equaliser against Chesterfield FFS! But for a few minutes it was the best feeling in the world!

Last edited:

wingy

See
I was thinking of the rather obvious & extreme examples to be honest....such as Exeter city v Liverpool this season.....over £1/2m for a league 2 fan-owned club couldn't have done them any harm could it?
No wonder it seemed out of context, it was meant to be a reply to Weeman who posted a reply to Grendel just above you :facepalm:

ms639

and allowing the PL teams to opt out wouldn't cheapen it?

Just let the Premier teams opt out of it if they want and keep it exactly as it is.

To tuck it away mid-week and have no replays cheapens the whole competition.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I quite enjoy watching my local team, Newport (IW), take part in the FA Cup preliminary qualifying rounds, winning a game against a team equally as low in the leagues as Newport and all 150 fans singing "♪♫♫♪ We're on our way to Wembley ♪♪♫♪♫"! Priceless!
Mind you, Newport have made it to the semi-finals of the Wessex League Cup! :claping hands:

87mint

99.9% of the time I agree with your sentiments entirely. Then I think of days like Chesterfield away this year, my sons first away game, and going mental when JM pops up with the equaliser.

2,000 Sky Blues going mental and the look on my lads face. It's an equaliser against Chesterfield FFS! But for a few minutes it was the best feeling in the world!

couldn't agree more. Magic

Liquid Gold

They cant get rid of replays, that would starve so many smaller clubs of the income they receive from them. Definitely agree that they should give the 4th champions league spot to the winner.

If anything we should be talking about getting rid of the league cup, absolutely nobody cares about that.

Otis

and allowing the PL teams to opt out wouldn't cheapen it?
Not saying that. Seemingly though the PL may be keen to just bulldoze whatever they want for it to suit them.

It would cheapen it a bit for sure, but ultimately the best thing for the FA Cup would need to be the ultimate goal.

What would cheapen it the most, tucking games away mid-week and denying the small teams the opportunity to visit the likes of Old Trafford or Anfield, or having a few top clubs missing?

I think if push came to shove, the PL teams would back down and would just continue to play a few kids, which probably cheapens it anyway.

Grendel

Not saying that. Seemingly though the PL may be keen to just bulldoze whatever they want for it to suit them.

It would cheapen it a bit for sure, but ultimately the best thing for the FA Cup would need to be the ultimate goal.

What would cheapen it the most, tucking games away mid-week and denying the small teams the opportunity to visit the likes of Old Trafford or Anfield, or having a few top clubs missing?

I think if push came to shove, the PL teams would back down and would just continue to play a few kids, which probably cheapens it anyway.

I think given the chance they'd all opt out.

Gazolba

And that's exactly why you have to give them an incentive not to, like guaranteeing the winner a Champions League spot. If there is no incentive, the PL clubs won't care. For foreign owners, foreign managers and foreign players, the tradition of the FA Cup is meaningless.

Gazolba

Really? Is that your opinion or fact?
Just treat everything on here as an opinion unless you can verify it personally. That's my rule anyway.

Otis

Not so sure.

I think those in the lower reaches would be more likely to remain. Could be their only path to glory (the rounds of the league cup start much earlier in the season).

Think also if say Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea all dropped out, their chances of winning it increase considerably for those that are left.

SkyblueBazza

Not so sure.

I think those in the lower reaches would be more likely to remain. Could be their only path to glory (the rounds of the league cup start much earlier in the season).

Think also if say Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea all dropped out, their chances of winning it increase considerably for those that are left.
They would all come crawling back within 5yrs of continued failure to win the big one.

The problem with the big clubs is their focus on themselves rather than ALL of their stakeholders (fans, competitors - kill them & the game loses its appeal for the majority...then they lose income themselves)

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Grendel

Not so sure.

There isn't any chance clubs like Sunderland would stay in it. The only thing these clubs want is survival. The owners wouldn't see any benefit of winning either as Europe is seen as a curse to such teams.

It's more likely bigger teams would stick around and play development teams.

Premier owners have zero interest in the competition. They should ditch the League Cup or whatever it's called - that is totally pointless and then it will help fixture congestion.

Otis

There isn't any chance clubs like Sunderland would stay in it. The only thing these clubs want is survival. The owners wouldn't see any benefit of winning either as Europe is seen as a curse to such teams.

It's more likely bigger teams would stick around and play development teams.

Premier owners have zero interest in the competition. They should ditch the League Cup or whatever it's called - that is totally pointless and then it will help fixture congestion.

I agree. Should leave the FA Cup alone and scrap the League Cup. If there is too much football, ditch the competition that was set up so much later in the day in the history of football and just doesn't hold the same credence and credibility of it's more famous counterpart.

chiefdave

5th round today, playing for a place in the quarter finals. Arsenal have made 9 changes Hull have made 10.

Users who are viewing this thread