Fa cup (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Because of the chance of a European place!

If you offered the option every premier league team would take it.

A Europa cup place is seen as a curse by most anyway.

Replays should be scrapped as they are a waste of time.

rupert_bear

Don't agree replays are a waste of time that's the competition going to somewhere like Old Trafford and nicking an unlikely draw what little Exeter did a few years ago. I would agree with extra- time the first match perhaps and how
Many times have we seen a minnow get a draw at home with a big boy and take 10/15 thousand to the replay for their only chance to play there

Gazolba

Don't agree replays are a waste of time that's the competition going to somewhere like Old Trafford and nicking an unlikely draw what little Exeter did a few years ago. I would agree with extra- time the first match perhaps and how
Many times have we seen a minnow get a draw at home with a big boy and take 10/15 thousand to the replay for their only chance to play there

But there has to be a more efficient way to redistribute money from the big clubs to the smaller clubs than FA Cup replays.

skyblueinBaku

Must confess that I'm increasingly coming round to that view
Once they've completed killing off the FA Cup, how long before they do away with relegation?

There are a few PL team owners who would like to do away with relegation. I assume they are afraid of losing the obscene payouts in the PL.

rupert_bear

If that was to happen could the football league from championship down become a separate competition getting its own route into the champions league for example, keeping the other competitions too, let the premiership go their way I know who would get fed up first

stupot07

I wonder what the financial impact will be on lower league clubs. I imagine a lot will have a decent tie or replay every couple of years, that will ripple through to other teams through transfer fees, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

wingy

If that was to happen could the football league from championship down become a separate competition getting its own route into the champions league for example, keeping the other competitions too, let the premiership go their way I know who would get fed up first
I reckon if we get SISU on them in court they'd soon drop it.
Surely would have to be challenged legally right up to government level

Otis

I wonder what the financial impact will be on lower league clubs. I imagine a lot will have a decent tie or replay every couple of years, that will ripple through to other teams through transfer fees, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)
The replay can be absolutely massive to lower league teams.

Terry Gibson's perm

The replay can be absolutely massive to lower league teams.

Then make it that lower ranked team always plays at home but then you get them moaning that they missed a pay day at Old Trafford etc, in the end it's the fans that pay. I didn't go to the Northampton cup game as I didn't think it was value for money at £15 or whatever it was, but I would go to a £5 Jpt game, then again cost me about £40 to watch us at Port Vale

Brylowes

I can't say it bothers me replays are a rubbish idea and why have them until the semi final and then get rid of them, not bothered mid week or the weekend.

I would also also stop minimum pricing and put in a maximum of £15 and £30 for the final, if you want to make it mean something have the rule like in the jpt about team changes.
Replays used to run throughout the competition, including the final,just about remember
a semi final Liverpool v arsenal & the 4th replay was held at Highfield road.

Terry Gibson's perm

Replays used to run throughout the competition, including the final,just about remember
a semi final Liverpool v arsenal & the 4th replay was held at Highfield road.

I cant remember when the semi final replays ended probably around the time greed took over and moved the semi to Wembley.

Terry Gibson's perm

Your probably right,always think/thought the neutral ground semi-final was a huge part
of the magic of the FA cup.

The whole thrill was to get to Wembley for the final now it is ruined by greed and the need to pay of the fa debts.

SkyblueBazza

Did I say no Premier teams? I said the option to opt out.

You think all Premier teams would opt out then? Interesting.

I would say at least half would remain and it would only be your big 4 or 6 that would chose perhaps not to.
Ah no see...there is money in it. What they want is to avoid the banana skins up until a point where they pretty much ensure another sell-out fixture with more 'appearance' money too.
The big 6 would love it if the competition took place as a knockout until only two left...then they enter the draw!

...onwards & upwards PUSB

mrtrench

The FA bending over backwards again to help the four or five biggest clubs and shaft the rest of the professional game. They are destroying football.

Brylowes

The FA bending over backwards again to help the four or five biggest clubs and shaft the rest of the professional game. They are destroying football.
The game for the working class in this country has already changed beyond recognition, the
amount we pay as a league 1 club is just affordable,but it is league 1.
Premier league on the other hand,take a big working class city like Liverpool,there
tradional grass roots support is priced out & replaced by an influx of fans from
all over the country,Ireland and further afield

Otis

Ha! Ha!!

Luckily for all of us, Grendel doesn't like an argument!

Imagine it on here if he did! ;)

wingy

.....tell that to all the "little" clubs who have been kept afloat by the payday it offers.....
Yeah but does it?
They have to expand their squad and can lose focus domestically. You would assume there would be a net gain what that is I don't know and it may help attract better calibre players.
Just saying. :whistle::guitar2:

chiefdave

They either need to stop pissing about with little changes and accept how things are or sit down and start from scratch, including Euro competitions.

I'd scrap the Europa and make the League Cup just for teams in the Football League for a start.

You've got 41 weekends in the season (well you have this season anyway) and then lets say 3 bank holidays for Xmas and Easter. There's then 4 international breaks. So I would work on the basis of only having PL and FA Cup games on weekends. So you'd be looking at an 18 team PL. That would put only CL games as midweek. I'd scrap the Europa and CL qualifiers, start at the group stage. Give a CL place to the FA Cup winner and bring in strict rules about playing a strong side.

Then I'd have 18 teams in the Championship and L1, promotion and relgation as it is now. For L2 I'd go back to North and South, 18 in each. Top 2 up in each, bottom 4 from L1 down. If you wanted to keep a playoff you could do 3 and 4 in each division.

They moan about too many games but then bugger off on tour somewhere as soon as there's a few free days!

Irish Sky Blue

Agree with the idea of a Champions League place for the FA Cup winners. I think that this will be the only way for the cup to be restored to it's former status. Cup games used to attract far bigger gates than league games. Since clubs have fielded weakened teams cup gates have fallen dramatically. Playing midweek with no replays would only continue the downgrade. Imagine in the future someone looking back at 1987 and saying "Well, it was only the FA Cup!". Working in Chelmsley Wood, the only Sky Blue amongst loads of Villains or Blues who give me loads of stick, ( or worse still their sympathy),I can still ask the rhetorical question "who was the last Midland Team to win the FA Cup?" and for it to mean something. Any Blues fan mentioning their League Cup win can't argue about achievement when our cup win is mentioned. I love the replays, still think they should play extra replays until someone wins. I remember our 3 cup games against Wolves in the 80s before we finally got through. Famous tie between Arsenal and third division Sheffield. Wed. which I think took 5 games to resolve. Exeter I think took 7000 to Anfield for their midweek replay this season. Should their couple of days in the limelight be denied because of the same greedy few in the top league?

Irish Sky Blue

They either need to stop pissing about with little changes and accept how things are or sit down and start from scratch, including Euro competitions.

I'd scrap the Europa and make the League Cup just for teams in the Football League for a start.

You've got 41 weekends in the season (well you have this season anyway) and then lets say 3 bank holidays for Xmas and Easter. There's then 4 international breaks. So I would work on the basis of only having PL and FA Cup games on weekends. So you'd be looking at an 18 team PL. That would put only CL games as midweek. I'd scrap the Europa and CL qualifiers, start at the group stage. Give a CL place to the FA Cup winner and bring in strict rules about playing a strong side.

Then I'd have 18 teams in the Championship and L1, promotion and relgation as it is now. For L2 I'd go back to North and South, 18 in each. Top 2 up in each, bottom 4 from L1 down. If you wanted to keep a playoff you could do 3 and 4 in each division.

They moan about too many games but then bugger off on tour somewhere as soon as there's a few free days!

The problem with reducing the number of teams in each league is that it has a direct impact on gate receipts. PL teams could probably absorb this due to their TV money. Clubs in other leagues would either have to accept lower income or put prices up. For us in League 1, it would mean we would lose the income from 6 home games. Season Ticket holders would be expected to pay more for less games. All of this to once again placate the big 5 or 6 clubs. ( sometimes big not by tradition but through having a wealthy owner). Agree with the last comment as I am sure that if they got their way and had a mid season break that is exactly what the leading PL clubs would do.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Yeah but does it?
They have to expand their squad and can lose focus domestically. You would assume there would be a net gain what that is I don't know and it may help attract better calibre players.
Just saying. :whistle::guitar2:

I was thinking of the rather obvious & extreme examples to be honest....such as Exeter city v Liverpool this season.....over £1/2m for a league 2 fan-owned club couldn't have done them any harm could it?

jimmyhillsfanclub

IIRC There was talk of a Premier league 1 and 2. Don't think I'm wrong on this one. Anybody remember this?

yeah...rings a bell.

Didn't the venkeys believe the PL was a closed shop with no relegation when the bought Blackburn rovers? Or is that an internet myth?

Users who are viewing this thread