Fa cup (1 Viewer)

Brylowes

After today's revelations about the (big boys) latest plans to further demean
the grand old competition. I cant tell you how pleased I am, that we managed
to win it when it really was the seasons grand finale.
The anticipation of a semi-final with 20,000 + fans from each club heading
off to a neutral ground in another provincial city (not London).
The weeks of trepidation, sleepless nights, and excitement leading up to the
big day, the whole city as one,in a state of unbridled support for their team.
Then the day, off to London for the FA CUP FINAL to watch our team in the
grandest old stadium of them all. The swing of emotions as the game
two & frowed, then the tears of joy and outburst of total euphoria.

Just so glad we did it when we did.

Otis

Just let the Premier teams opt out of it if they want and keep it exactly as it is.

To tuck it away mid-week and have no replays cheapens the whole competition.

Esoterica

Just let the Premier teams opt out of it if they want and keep it exactly as it is.

Is it any cheaper that way than with no prem teams? You've just made another JPT but with championship teams.

Brylowes

But it's just the latest action in a long list of actions that have belittled the competition.
The faceless moneymen ruining our game gladly trample all over tradition to get to
trough of cash

Otis

Is it any cheaper that way than with no prem teams? You've just made another JPT but with championship teams.
Did I say no Premier teams? I said the option to opt out.

You think all Premier teams would opt out then? Interesting.

I would say at least half would remain and it would only be your big 4 or 6 that would chose perhaps not to.

Otis

Maybe you thought I meant the Premier League to opt out, rather than individual teams?

I meant teams, on an individual basis.

Brylowes

I would say at least half would remain and it would only be your big 4 or 6 that would chose perhaps not to.
Trouble is i think the first nail in the coffin was when Man Utd pulled out

ceetee

I'm old enough to remember when the FA Cup Final was the only game ever on TV.

I can see why those teams in the European competitions are distracted by the FA Cup, although I don't agree with their attitude, but I have never understood why the mid-table teams take that attitude when it's only the FA Cup and the League Cup that they have a chance of winning,

Esoterica

I'd say it's more likely to be the other way round. Why would anyone choose to play another half a dozen games more than their rivals, all in the 2nd half of the season?

87mint

This is rank. I think the 3rd round of the fa cup - when we used to be involved - was my favourite day of the calendar

Terry Gibson's perm

I can't say it bothers me replays are a rubbish idea and why have them until the semi final and then get rid of them, not bothered mid week or the weekend.

I would also also stop minimum pricing and put in a maximum of £15 and £30 for the final, if you want to make it mean something have the rule like in the jpt about team changes.

Esoterica

I'm old enough to remember when the FA Cup Final was the only game ever on TV.

I can see why those teams in the European competitions are distracted by the FA Cup, although I don't agree with their attitude, but I have never understood why the mid-table teams take that attitude when it's only the FA Cup and the League Cup that they have a chance of winning,

There's 1.8 mill prize money for winning the FA Cup final and approx 1.4 mill per one place higher in the Prem. There's currently only 9 points difference between 5th placed Man U in a Europa Leage spot and 14th place West Brom. It's completely wrong, i agree but i do think that would be the driver behind teams opting out.

Brylowes

Remember watching cup finals as a kid,players from illustrious clubs such as
Liverpool ,Utd ,Arsenal breaking down in floods of tears on the final whistle.
It meant so much to them then, sadly means nothing now

Otis

I'd say it's more likely to be the other way round. Why would anyone choose to play another half a dozen games more than their rivals, all in the 2nd half of the season?
Because of the chance of a European place!

ceetee

Having lived in the USA I noted that the teams there cared very little about winning their divisions, all that mattered was getting into the play-offs.

I see the similarity here now, the European Competitions being the European play-offs

JimmyHillsbeard

After today's revelations about the (big boys) latest plans to further demean
the grand old competition. I cant tell you how pleased I am, that we managed
to win it when it really was the seasons grand finale.
The anticipation of a semi-final with 20,000 + fans from each club heading
off to a neutral ground in another provincial city (not London).
The weeks of trepidation, sleepless nights, and excitement leading up to the
big day, the whole city as one,in a state of unbridled support for their team.
Then the day, off to London for the FA CUP FINAL to watch our team in the
grandest old stadium of them all. The swing of emotions as the game
two & frowed, then the tears of joy and outburst of total euphoria.

Just so glad we did it when we did.

On our return from Wembley I watched the BBC coverage of the day. After the game, while everyone was waxing lyrical about the quality of the final there was one dissenting voice.

Kenneth Dalglish sat in the pundit's chair with a face like a smacked arse. Asked about the result he said it was a shame the FA had used extra time because the Cup was a big enough occasion to deserve a replay after 90 minutes.

rupert_bear

The FA cup isn't about the final in May, it starts way back in the September when a few village teams lock horns in the prelimary rounds, not a hope in hell of getting to the first round let alone winning it. Some non league outfits have their moments of glory and I was at the Kings Lynn and Sutton United games so I know only too well. It is our traditional cup competition not some here today gone tomorrow foreign manager. I just hope the FA stay strong, make it an invitation competition so whoever doesn't like the format can opt out.

Gazolba

The fixture list is too crowded. Get rid of the Capital One Cup (League Cup). Why do we need two cup competitions? Also consider reducing the number of teams in each division and make a fifth division with the left-over teams plus a few from the Conference. That should leave a few weekends free to fit in the FA Cup. Winning the FA Cup should guarantee a European spot to provide an incentive to enter.

Last edited:

Gazolba

Having lived in the USA I noted that the teams there cared very little about winning their divisions <snip>

Of course, because there is no promotion or relegation there!

lifeskyblue

The FA cup is what it's about. Chance for no hopers, part timers, window cleaners, factory worker etc to rub shoulders with their heroes and possibly, hopefully, rub their noses in it in a once in a lifetime moment. No club should be allowed to opt out and no club should field a significantly weakened team.
However as we all know the modern game at all levels, but especially the very top, has been ruined by money and over exposure. Unbelievable but true that the top clubs would rather play a group game in Warsaw than an FA cup final at Wembley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usskyblue

Having lived in the USA I noted that the teams there cared very little about winning their divisions, all that mattered was getting into the play-offs.

I see the similarity here now, the European Competitions being the European play-offs

Here, the will to win is driven by a favorable seeding (who you'll end up playing) and home field advantage.

covmark

The Fa should give the 4th Champions league place to the Cup winner. That'd stop the bigger teams demeaning the competition.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

jimmyhillsfanclub

Lets face it....on the whole, football these days is shit....(I sound just like me dad used to)

Its awash with cash, yet many clubs are on the brink, ticket prices are too high but atmospheres are generally sterile, fixtures & KO times are pissed about on the whim of the TV schedule etc. & post SKY & the Premier league, many fans have been slowly brainwashed into thinking finishing 4th bottom in the top flight is better than winning the league cup or even the FA cup....

....still 100 times better than that egg-chasing shite though....and always will be!

jimmyhillsfanclub

The Fa should give the 4th Champions league place to the Cup winner. That'd stop the bigger teams demeaning the competition.

I'm amazed that UEFA still grant the 4th spot to the English league......haven't English clubs been pretty shit in Europe recently?

usskyblue

Lets face it....on the whole, football these days is shit....(I sound just like me dad used to)

Its awash with cash, yet many clubs are on the brink, ticket prices are too high but atmospheres are generally sterile, fixtures & KO times are pissed about on the whim of the TV schedule etc. & post SKY & the Premier league, many fans have been slowly brainwashed into thinking finishing 4th bottom in the top flight is better than winning the league cup or even the FA cup....

....still 100 times better than that egg-chasing shite though....and always will be!

According to some, nothing's changed :D

covmark

I'm amazed that UEFA still grant the 4th spot to the English league......haven't English clubs been pretty shit in Europe recently?
Yeah, they use some sort of shitty points system. Apparently the Italians are catching up the premier league and could nick the 4th spot in the next couple of seasons. I think they take into account Europa league performance as well.

Users who are viewing this thread