F1 2021 (2 Viewers)

Paul Anthony

I don't normally highlight such things, but I really need to know what that autocorrected word means!

I think that's a correction of the word "can't".

I've no idea how my autocorrect has become so messed up. It clearly has a low opinion of my spelling ability. Also, it has this annoying thing where it adds the letter l in a sentence. I've no idea why.

Saddlebrains

This show’s Hamilton had already backed off given the image I posted showed he was further up the inside before they hit the corner.

Does seem that way, but Hamilton is still miles from the apex and wouldn't have made the corner if Max wasn't there.

Compare that to the above image of the Leclerc overtake where he was hugging the apex and inside kerb, and was level with Charles just before turn in.

Yes he may have started to back out, but its still a move he had minimal chance of pulling off, especially at Copse

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Does seem that way, but Hamilton is still miles from the apex and wouldn't have made the corner if Max wasn't there.

Compare that to the above image of the Leclerc overtake where he was hugging the apex and inside kerb, and was level with Charles just before turn in.

Yes he may have started to back out, but its still a move he had minimal chance of pulling off, especially at Copse

Way I saw it was Lewis was pretty much level approaching the corner, realised he was coming in too hot to take the apex and backed out. Just didn't quite do it quick enough before Max took the racing line. Not like he just piled into him with a late lunge - he backed off.

I see it as closer to a racing incident that reckless driving (and I'm not a Hamilton fan)

mark82

Thing is, they're racing drivers. We all complain that there's not enough action at times, then when there is action we moan because *insert favourite driver here* is impacted. Personally I'd rather the racing drivers were allowed to race as much as possible.

Saddlebrains

Thing is, they're racing drivers. We all complain that there's not enough action at times, then when there is action we moan because *insert favourite driver here* is impacted. Personally I'd rather the racing drivers were allowed to race as much as possible.

Agree. But i think the sour taste is that there was such a swing between title rivals points wise that Lewis got away with it massively lightly

mark82

Agree. But i think the sour taste is that there was such a swing between title rivals points wise that Lewis got away with it massively lightly

Part of the sport. It's happened many a time before, we forget with the last few championships being one horse races. At least it makes the title race interesting again. Still think Max wins (and wouldn't mind seeing that either).

Saddlebrains

Part of the sport. It's happened many a time before, we forget with the last few championships being one horse races. At least it makes the title race interesting again. Still think Max wins (and wouldn't mind seeing that either).

I think Max will still win ut

One thing i will say, they will collide again this season

olderskyblue

Lewis got what the stewards deemed the appropriate penalty. The effect on the title race is not part of their consideration, nor should it be.

lots of drivers coming out on the “racing incident” side of this debate now, so clearly not as definitive as some would like to make out. The stewards must have deemed it slightly Lewis‘ fault, hence the relatively light penalty.

Saddlebrains

Shouldn’t be like this really. Says more about you than anything. F1 is as toxic as football these days.

I must admit i was the most angry id ever been with formula 1 the way Lewis was celebrating whilst Max was having Brain scans at UHCW, found that slightly distasteful.

Im quite open is my disdain for Hamilton, i find him very sociopathic and hypocritical. For example his veganism push yet walks around the paddock in 3 grand a pair 100% calf skin wellies 🤷‍♂️.

However will admit, for me he's one of the best ever. Over 1 single lap when needing to push, probably THE best ever. Wont surpass Michael for me though even if he does notch 8 titles. Going to be something else seeing him pick up 100 wins

tisza

Shouldn’t be like this really. Says more about you than anything. F1 is as toxic as football these days.
Media going to pour fuel onto this Lewis - Max thing for their own benefit. Not going to help the situation.
Across Europe some anti-Hamilton fans refer to him as el Negrito - so kind of sums up why F 1 needs their anti-racism campaign.

Rich

The one thing that left a bitter taste in my mouth was his complete lack of compassion. As a human if I'd been involved in a shunt at any speed and the other person had been taken to hospital for checks, I'd show some compassion and worry about the fella.

Lewis was merely surprised he was at hospital but wasn't concerned for his welfare.

Saddlebrains

The one thing that left a bitter taste in my mouth was his complete lack of compassion. As a human if I'd been involved in a shunt at any speed and the other person had been taken to hospital for checks, I'd show some compassion and worry about the fella.

Lewis was merely surprised he was at hospital but wasn't concerned for his welfare.

This completely.

Can you imagine Jenson doing that? Lando? George? He's very Narcissistic is Lewis

tisza

He inquired over the radio several times about Max. Was told he was okay and had walked away from the crash.
One thing about Hamilton is when there's an incident always radio checks whether driver okay.

SkyBlueSoul

He immediately asked over the radio if Max was alright. What else do you want him to do, get out and give him a cuddle?

Pretty much my thoughts. He’s checked straight after and Bonno’s told him Max has got out the car and is fine. Got to remember as a racing driver he’ll be in race mode and with that information he’ll go back into the zone.

To add to Tisza’s point, whenever he thinks it’s his fault, he owns it and apologises straight away too i.e. Albon in Brazil and Austria. I’m sure there was one race he wasn’t going to get a penalty for an incident but because he came out and took the blame the stewards gave him one.

Corrado

Just watched an Interview with Leclerc, who was obviously immediately behind the pair and he said in his opinion it was a racing incident - that's enough for me. The only reason Hamilton got a penalty was because Max crashed out. If it was Lewis who crashed out Max would have got a penalty. If neither of them crashed out, none of them would have got a penalty. Its that simple. They were both at fault in one way or another but not one more than the other. Max is just being a bitch

Rich

He immediately asked over the radio if Max was alright. What else do you want him to do, get out and give him a cuddle?
I missed that, but he did show a complete lack of compassion during interviews including the one where he was informed Max was at hospital.

TwistAndShoutCCFC1987

Just watched an Interview with Leclerc, who was obviously immediately behind the pair and he said in his opinion it was a racing incident - that's enough for me. The only reason Hamilton got a penalty was because Max crashed out. If it was Lewis who crashed out Max would have got a penalty. If neither of them crashed out, none of them would have got a penalty. Its that simple. They were both at fault in one way or another but not one more than the other. Max is just being a bitch
I think it was a racing incident , but it was more lewis’ fault than max’s

Frostie

One thing is for sure, we've not heard the end of this.

Martin Brundle:
"I have been told by Red Bull that there is data that they can use to prove that Hamilton went into Copse Corner significantly faster than at any other time and that he could not have made the corner without going wide and inevitably tapping Verstappen in the end."
"It is likely that this data will come out,"

Got to say, despite Merc's protestations to the contrary, that's certainly how it appeared to me, hence him completely missing the apex.

tisza

Martin Brundle:
"I have been told by Red Bull that there is data that they can use to prove that Hamilton went into Copse Corner significantly faster than at any other time and that he could not have made the corner without going wide and inevitably tapping Verstappen in the end."

Got to say, despite Merc's protestations to the contrary, that's certainly how it appeared to me, hence him completely missing the apex.
Getting silly because teams will be producing data every week claiming if X had done this Y might have happened.
Probably not a clever move either when you have such an aggressive driver as Max.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Martin Brundle:

Would be a dangerous precedent to say given Max's aggressive driving style. Sure there would be plenty of times going forward teams could point to him going into a corner way too fast trying to take a position that just wasn't there to be taken. Some drivers already say the give him more space because they think he'll try moves that are just not there and the only reason there hasn't been a crash is because they've done that cos Max isn't going to yield.

In the heat of the moment and with it having been so close between them for the previous corners and the adrenaline pumping you can make errors of judgement like this. And as I say Hamilton did eventually try to back out.

You could argue that similarly Max still had a lot of track he could have used wider out if he thought Hamilton was going to miss the corner. Sensible to go wider, risk the place but give yourself the opportunity to get it back later in the race in a superior car if you do. As Lewis had overcooked it he'd have probably still had an advantage overall anyway and could have driven off into the sunset. Instead he decided to take the racing line and got clipped. That could be seen as an error of judgement by Max to not take the more pragmatic approach. But like I say, heat of the moment and adrenaline pumping sometimes you don't take the sensible choice.

olderskyblue

Martin Brundle:

Maybe he should get the same penalty Max got in China 2018 when he stormed into a corner dangerously, taking Vettel out

xcraigx

Turn one in Hungary is going to be epic.

Red Bull can rightly be miffed at what happened over the weekend but their reaction has been over the top and looks to be rumbling on for the foreseeable. Court cases? Wow. I think they have the best car and driver combo and are favourites for both titles but off track they are losing their heads and that will eventually impact on how things go on track. I'm sure Merc will be looking to stir the pot at every given opportunity from now on. It's the best chance.

tisza

Turn one in Hungary is going to be epic.

Red Bull can rightly be miffed at what happened over the weekend but their reaction has been over the top and looks to be rumbling on for the foreseeable. Court cases? Wow. I think they have the best car and driver combo and are favourites for both titles but off track they are losing their heads and that will eventually impact on how things go on track. I'm sure Merc will be looking to stir the pot at every given opportunity from now on. It's the best chance.
Red Bull know that Max can be hot-headed so should be calming things down and focusing on having the best car.
Best answer is to win in Hungary - not let Max get mixed up with lewis.

Frostie

Red Bull know that Max can be hot-headed so should be calming things down and focusing on having the best car.
Best answer is to win in Hungary - not let Max get mixed up with lewis.

Agreed.

Totally get their frustrations, it's cost them a swing of 25pts in the Driver's Championship & 40pts in the Constructor's Championship not to mention ££££ to get the car repaired.

At the end of the day though, FIA have seen it & called it & Hamilton got a penalty. We can debate whether or not it was severe enough (imo no, they should take into account the context of the race/championship result but that's a different argument) but it was an honest mistake from Hamilton & punishment is in keeping with similar incidents in previous races so hard to complain too much on that basis, particularly as Max himself has been guilty in the past (admittedly totally different contexts).

It seems to me that by banging on as they are about the incident they are suggesting they think it was a deliberate act from Hamilton & I'm sorry, I don't buy that at all.
By all means campaign for a rule change on penalties for future potentially Championship deciding incidents, but at the minute they're flogging a dead horse & distracting Max & the rest of the team from the immediate big picture.

tisza

Agreed.

Totally get their frustrations, it's cost them a swing of 25pts in the Driver's Championship & 40pts in the Constructor's Championship not to mention ££££ to get the car repaired.

At the end of the day though, FIA have seen it & called it & Hamilton got a penalty. We can debate whether or not it was severe enough (imo no, they should take into account the context of the race/championship result but that's a different argument) but it was an honest mistake from Hamilton & punishment is in keeping with similar incidents in previous races so hard to complain too much on that basis, particularly as Max himself has been guilty in the past (admittedly totally different contexts).

It seems to me that by banging on as they are about the incident they are suggesting they think it was a deliberate act from Hamilton & I'm sorry, I don't buy that at all.
By all means campaign for a rule change on penalties for future potentially Championship deciding incidents, but at the minute they're flogging a dead horse & distracting Max & the rest of the team from the immediate big picture.
I don' t think punishment etc should be related to Championship position. Has to be a uniform approach all the way down - with prize money distribution etc just as important to small teams -eg if it's a Williams & Haas battling for a 10th placed finish and a jump up the end of season prize money ladder.
Nonsense to suggest Hamilton initiated contact with the aim of ending Max's race - could just have easily damaged his own car and put himself out of the race and so no net gain.
Still plenty of drivers, ex-drivers and other teams officials arguing it was a racing incident as well as those who think it wasn't.(probably many linked to whichever junior team/engine supplier they are associated with :) )

Users who are viewing this thread