Match Thread Exeter City - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 13th Jan (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

Burge can still prove he can eradicate them. I have no idea how many managers LoB has had during his career but it appears he hasn’t been favoured by many (probably any) of them. They can’t all be wrong. They also know a lot more than me or you.
Hpw many cluba burge been at?

CJ_covblaze

steve82

Burge can still prove he can eradicate them. I have no idea how many managers LoB has had during his career but it appears he hasn’t been favoured by many (probably any) of them. They can’t all be wrong. They also know a lot more than me or you.

You could easily counter many points you make here, and some sensible points you do make, however...

Burge has undoubtedly put better performances in this season, however he's rarely been put under pressure like last season, the defence protects and looks after him as a good defence should do.

At times he's had decisions to make he's been hesitant and made the right decision, just in time. Today is a example of a decision he made...He looks safer when guided by those who protect him and just shot stopping.

As you said O'Brien has likely had many managers in his career and as he's still young for a keeper had loan spells at clubs unlike Lee Burge... pressing question how many times tho has he been second choice to a senior keeper as opposed to a junior keeper?

Finally the point you make about him not being favoured by previous managers it's worth noting that managers that have favoured Lee Burge here have been the popular Mark Venus and the much loved Russell Slade. Even TM favoured RCC.

It's only MR that's favoured Burge since his return and this season in L2 where he's been largely looked after.

Many variables to the equation I think you'd agree.

Last edited:

steve82

It's worth noting that a Burge is approaching his 100th CCFC appearance and still has frailties. With over 114 senior appearances for CCFC and Nuneaton.

O'Brien has just 73 senior pro appearances for CCFC, Portsmouth, Dagenham and Barnet

Last edited:

larry_david

This is the best chance we'll ever get to bounce straight back. This league is awful. What winds me up is we've had a week where confidence must be sky high, amongst fans and players after beating Stoke. We're playing an Exeter team who are slowly dropping out of contention, from being early pace setters to out of the play offs at the start of the day. The formbook is with us, the fans are with us, the bookies are with us and what happens? We gift them a goal after 7 mins. A gift of all gifts, exeter now are in the lead and have something to hang onto and force us to take the game to them rather than the other way round. And it has happened far too many times now. 4 in a season is absolutely shocking. Performance wise, stat wise, chances created wise we've battered them today and if burge stays on his line and Willis heads that ball out for a throw I'm pretty sure we win this game but that 7th min sucker punch has set us right back and given exeter something to believe in and knocked the stuffing out of us at the same time. How can that defence have confidence in lob or burge now?? They can't surely, and that now causes huge issues going forward.

Lob is not the answer he got away with two howlers against Stoke. I like burge but today that was criminal and with Luton fucking up again and Notts county and Lincoln drawing, not only have we missed out on a chance of closing the gap we've let everyone else catch us back up.

ccfcway

This is the best chance we'll ever get to bounce straight back. This league is awful.

As are we., lost to Exeter, Forest Green, A Stanley etc

We need to fight our way out of this league and do better in the second half of the season in a way we haven't done in a lot of years

PVA

And he lost his spot to rcc first and LOB.at start.of season

So lets not read too much into LOB past shall we

Lost his spot to RCC yes, but won it back.

He was first choice at the start of the season but was injured for the first few games.

O'brien has only played more than 10 games in a season once in a glittering 7 year career so yes I think we probably can get an idea of his past from that ie no manager has yet trusted him to be number one.

skybluegod

Exeter supporting mate of mine was fairly impressed by us.
Said we made a good go of it and 0-0 would have been the fair result had it not been for the Burge cock up.
Thinks we will make the play offs.
He was impressed my McNulty who he thought looked lively and was someone who could make things happen.
And he also liked Maguire-drew who he said looked decent.
Finally said, that the noise from the 350 cov fans was fantastic for such a small group of fans.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
You know when you go to a gig and there is always someone who is filming the gig instead of watching it-that’s Sw88 at the football. Pays all that money and pisses about on his phone all match.:D

I could always stop with the posts ;)

But I know you don’t rely on them so stop just because you see it as pissing about on my phone.

More to the point, I didn’t miss much yesterday while on my phone (which makes a nice change as there have been occasions where I’ve mossed things due to posting on here :))

Adge

But I know you don’t rely on them so stop just because you see it as pissing about on my phone.

More to the point, I didn’t miss much yesterday while on my phone (which makes a nice change as there have been occasions where I’ve mossed things due to posting on here :))
And that be the lesson learned then maybe?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I prefer O’Brien because he looks more commanding, Burge always looks like an error waiting to happen.

When O’Brien dropped those howlers I was shocked, When Burge does it im never surprised

skybluegod

I prefer O’Brien because he looks more commanding, Burge always looks like an error waiting to happen.

When O’Brien dropped those howlers I was shocked, When Burge does it im never surprised

You were shocked by O’Brien because it was the first time you had seen him play..? So what’s your point?

I can play in goal and shout my head off more than Burge but it doesn’t make me a better keeper.

Both are keeps with very obvious weaknesses. But Burge seems to get the brunt of it, when really there is probably very little between them in terms of ability.

What probably does Burge In is that he is a Cov kid, and they always seem to come in for the most stick here.

Grendel

You were shocked by O’Brien because it was the first time you had seen him play..? So what’s your point?

I can play in goal and shout my head off more than Burge but it doesn’t make me a better keeper.

Both are keeps with very obvious weaknesses. But Burge seems to get the brunt of it, when really there is probably very little between them in terms of ability.

What probably does Burge In is that he is a Cov kid, and they always seem to come in for the most stick here.

Burge is from Hereford.

steve82

Lost his spot to RCC yes, but won it back.

He was first choice at the start of the season but was injured for the first few games.

O'brien has only played more than 10 games in a season once in a glittering 7 year career so yes I think we probably can get an idea of his past from that ie no manager has yet trusted him to be number one.

Did he win it back or did RCC all but hand the gloves back after errors himself? Maybe a change of manager helped this too

Plus as I've said on a previous post how many times has obrien been number two to a senior keeper as opposed to a similar young keeper while he's been in his early 20's?
As for the appearances he's made far more in his time at daggenham than you suggest in a season before moving to Portsmouth.

This is very true, thing with Lee Burge is the clean sheets have papered over the cracks that lay beneath.

Put pressure on him and he cracks. The defence who normally relieve the pressure yesterday exposed him and he cracked.

Last edited:

itsabuzzard

Keep up the good work SW88, and everyone else who chips in on match day threads - great way to follow games in real time.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

letsallsingtogether

It hasnt really cost us much yet. We were 3rd going into todays game after all

Robins has a steiker target. Till thrn i think biamou and mcnulty can get us back ibto auto spots by end of jan
Really?
So the keeper makes one mistake in10 games and he is a complete villan and a waste of space.
The game is about scoring more goals then the other side.
We just can' score enough, could have had 2 in the first half yesterday then at least a couple more in the second.
We need to score to win.

covcity4life

Really?
So the keeper makes one mistake in10 games and he is a complete villan and a waste of space.
The game is about scoring more goals then the other side.
We just can' score enough, could have had 2 in the first half yesterday then at least a couple more in the second.
We need to score to win.

You never heard 1 nil to thr arsenal in early 90s? It can be done by relying on defence

We gifted thrm a goal they did not cut us open for it. Burge has i.proved alot in 2 years but still does this dunb stuff. LOB looker alot better than burge early season and its time for him to become nunber 1 again now

Obviously that doesnt mean we stop searching for a way to find more goals but we need a keeper eho can help us get 3 pts in the mean time. Burge has done that for most part but LOB looks more tslented a d could probably do it for a longer amount of time

SlowerThanPlatt

I did some research:

Burge played 82 games at L1 & L2 level and conceded 95 goals

O’Brien played 55 games at L2 level (never played at L1) and conceded 101 goals

Burge concedes 1.15 goals a game over his league career

O’Brien concedes 1.83 goals a game over his league career

steve82

I did some research:

Burge played 82 games at L1 & L2 level and conceded 95 goals

O’Brien played 55 games at L2 level (never played at L1) and conceded 101 goals

Burge concedes 1.15 goals a game over his league career

O’Brien concedes 1.83 goals a game over his league career

Again plenty of variables to be thrown in.

O'Brien has a better clean sheet percentage in L2 for CCFC for example

O'Brien has played the bulk of his games at low end L2 clubs that were relegated or clinched survival season after season.

SlowerThanPlatt

Again plenty of variables to be thrown in.

O'Brien has a better clean sheet percentage in L2 for CCFC for example

O'Brien has played the bulk of his games at low end L2 clubs that were relegated or clinched survival season after season.

Isn’t that a sign of his ability then if he’s 26 and the bulk of games he has played as you said has been for bottom 2 L2 clubs?

Burge was also in goal last season for our relegation so O’Brien is not alone in playing for struggling teams over his career. Burge also played 21 games in the season when we stayed up on the final day against Crawley. Thats 2 seasons there where the same applies to Burge.

steve82

Isn’t that a sign of his ability then if he’s 26 and the bulk of games he has played as you said has been for bottom 2 L2 clubs?

Burge was also in goal last season for our relegation so O’Brien is not alone in playing for struggling teams over his career. Burge also played 21 games in the season when we stayed up on the final day against Crawley. Thats 2 seasons there where the same applies to Burge.

It's the sign of his ability when he was 20-24. Not the full reflection of the 25 now 26 year old we signed and what he may achieve when he's 26+ given a run of games. MR and TW must rate him to a point to have signed him.

Correct Burge was in goal for two relegation battles but hasn't exactly featured in a side that shipped goals baring a 20 game spell last season, more a side that gifted goals and had no answer to get level... similar to occasions this season.

My point was with the stats you gave are from when O'Brien was playing for far weaker sides and exposed by the 10 in front of him and we've yet to see first hand what he can do given a run of 15/20 games to judge who's the better of the two to go beyond this season.

The thing with Lee Burge is we've all seen his near 100 appearances and the catalogue of errors along the way which still come to the fore for time to time when he's exposed it asked to make a spilt second decision.

This season he's been very looked after, some games he's hardly faced a shot on target while also make so good saves and blocks in all fairness.

Irish Sky Blue

You never heard 1 nil to thr arsenal in early 90s? It can be done by relying on defence

We gifted thrm a goal they did not cut us open for it. Burge has i.proved alot in 2 years but still does this dunb stuff. LOB looker alot better than burge early season and its time for him to become nunber 1 again now

Obviously that doesnt mean we stop searching for a way to find more goals but we need a keeper eho can help us get 3 pts in the mean time. Burge has done that for most part but LOB looks more tslented a d could probably do it for a longer amount of time
I disagree. The only game I haven’t seen O’Brien make a mistake in was the Walsall cup tie. Even against Notts County he flapped at a couple of crosses and his kicking was erratic. I think Burge is the better keeper although I accept there is still a mistake in him. He certainly didn’t do himself justice yesterday. Also just seen the Man City keeper make a very similar mistake to Burge, playing on a carpet at Anfield and not the bobbly bog that is Exeter’s pitch.

Astute

Not read through the thread. Too painful too soon.

What a friendly lot of supporters. Had a good laugh. Strange day. Called my wife just before 2pm to let her know that not only was I not nearly home but that I was further away from where I had left and I wouldn't be leaving for a few hours after. See you about midnight darling :smuggrin: But my phone went flat talking to her. Maybe was lucky it did.

Went in with 4 Exeter supporters. Needed a beer after my journey that started on the 04:33 train as I had to go to High Wycombe first. Got talking to 4 lads in the pub. They had 2 tikets spare. Bought them a beer each for the ticket as the lad who had ticket wouldn't take any money.

The Burge thing will have been done to the death on here I would guess. We were chatting as it was general play and nothing dangerous. Then it happened. I was gobsmacked. They celebrated. Then they started pissing themselves laughing. Worse mistake all season they had seen.

One funny moment for me was one of the lads wanting us to score. Said it would be one of the loudest noises for ages as he said he normally recognises most people around him. Noticed a few faces from away games myself.

Never mind. They said that we were one of the better sides they have played. Said we deserved at least a draw. And we are only 2 points off 3rd.

Ricketts

Watching the other leagues there are some very poor keepers making basic mistakes. We are lucky to have the two keepers we have.

Burge is being castigated because of one poor kick.

All of the outfield players have had poor kicks. Its very rare that we concede more than one goal. We need to be scoring.

Nick

Administrator
Watching the other leagues there are some very poor keepers making basic mistakes. We are lucky to have the two keepers we have.

All of the outfield players have had poor kicks. Its very rare that we concede more than one goal. We need to be scoring.

Think it's more because he had run out of his box and poorly kicked it to one of their players rather than putting his foot through it.

steve82

Think it's more because he had run out of his box and poorly kicked it to one of their players rather than putting his foot through it.

Correct the kick was the icing on the cake. The issue was he made the decision and felt he needed to run 20+ yards to claim the ball his defender likely had covered.

Liquid Gold

Correct the kick was the icing on the cake. The issue was he made the decision and felt he needed to run 20+ yards to claim the ball his defender likely had covered.
Not only that. He let the ball pass him without diving and then gave up before it crossed the line. If he'd been chasing the ball still he had time to stop it before it hit the second post and went in.

eastwoodsdustman

It wasnt just the one kick though. I can forgive anyone a mistake but he went to pieces after that. You'd have thought that the ball was a Hand Grenade the way he played after the mistake. That was the shocking thing. I can only say that he was mentally weak.

wingy

It wasnt just the one kick though. I can forgive anyone a mistake but he went to pieces after that. You'd have thought that the ball was a Hand Grenade the way he played after the mistake. That was the shocking thing. I can only say that he was mentally weak.
I'd be asking why that weakness has resurfaced.
Something we've all commented on over the last two seasons.
But without being over the top how many points has he cost over his hundred odd games?
I'd have it at around 12-15.

Users who are viewing this thread