Exercise Or No Exercise ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Read an article online that a doctor advises his patients to not bother about exercise as the body prefers rest. Take naps instead of walking/running much better for the heart etc. I dont know if it was a joke article as it seemed genuine ?
Donald Trump hates any form of exercise he says, reckons it's overrated ! And in the paper you often read about people in their nineties who have never been in a gym but are fit as fiddles. I love walking and moving about makes me feel better, but my sister who's a nurse reckons it's all about genetics. Any thoughts on this subject ?

pastythegreat

Read an article online that a doctor advises his patients to not bother about exercise as the body prefers rest. Take naps instead of walking/running much better for the heart etc. I dont know if it was a joke article as it seemed genuine ?
Donald Trump hates any form of exercise he says, reckons it's overrated ! And in the paper you often read about people in their nineties who have never been in a gym but are fit as fiddles. I love walking and moving about makes me feel better, but my sister who's a nurse reckons it's all about genetics. Any thoughts on this subject ?
I did read once, that these weirdos that get up at 5am to run actually could benefit more from the extra 2/3 hours sleep. Personally, I've never been overly fit. I was in the Army for 7 years and got by, but was never one of the hyper fit group. I think as long as you have a healthy balanced diet and are just generally active at work, you shouldn't need to go to the gym 6 times a week.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'd agree it probably depends on genetics as some people are more disposed to get things like diabetes or heart disease. Someone else with the diet of Trump would've died years ago from a heart attack.

I think being totally sedentary isn't good, but being over the top with exercise etc isn't either. If you don't exercise at all muscles will waste away and atrophy unless you've got something like hyperelasticity because it's energy inefficient to keep unnecessary muscle - it's far more efficient to store energy as fat. But that does have long term health problems.

It's about moderation. Physios etc will tell you the rest periods are just as important to your body as the exercise as it gives it time to recover and repair the damage the exercise does. Eat reasonably healthily, keep active where possible, but don't feel ashamed to have a nap or a sit down if you feel you need it.

Covstu

I agree that genetics plays apart in diseases (we have a horrible history of kidney issues in the family) but I disagree on exercise itself, that’s motivation. I consider myself fairly fit but certainly wasn’t through uni etc so decided to do something about it. I would get up early on Sunday to go for a ride and do 80-100 miles, then a few 20ish during the week. I generally exercise so I can eat what I want and have a few beers so not one of these who will live on lettuce leaves all week. I do it because I love cycling, I’ve tried running etc and hated it so I think a lot of it is around finding something you actually enjoy. If that’s walking down the canal each day for 30 mins then so be it, there are too many people exercising in gyms and outside taking selfies etc and showing the world. Don’t get it personally, you should be doing it for you and no one else

Gazolba

I just had my six-monthly cardiologist appointment.
One of the questions he always asks is "Are you exercising?".
I usually mumble something about trying to fit it in and he mumbles back "It's all part of the program".
This time I just outright answered "No, it's too hot outside".
He said he wants me buy an exercise machine to keep in my house and use it for 45 minutes every day.
Of course, I won't do it, but I have to find some way to exercise indoors.
It's way too hot to go outside, and will be until October.
I do have a bicycle. I was thinking I could prop up the rear wheel and use it as an exercise bike.

bringbackrattles

I usually mumble something about trying to fit it in and he mumbles back "It's all part of the program".
He said he wants me buy an exercise machine to keep in my house and use it for 45 minutes every day.
I do have a bicycle. I was thinking I could prop up the rear wheel and use it as an exercise bike.
I agree with the heat outdoors. I prefer working in cold weather than hot days, I honestly believe physical work in the heat is bad for you. I had a doctor who told me to keep up working and walking etc. But another one said take things easy as you get older. I reckon we eventually do what pleases us in the end whether or not that means pumping iron in a gym, or downing pints in the pub !

Covstu

You can buy a cheap turbo trainer which would take the bike and act as an indoor bike

fellatio_Martinez

I think there's some truth to it. If you live a generally healthy lifestyle and move about quite a bit then you'd never need to set foot inside a gym.

Those people who run 20-100 miles a week are actually putting tremendous strain on their heart and skeletons, while they strut around as if they're going to live to be 120.

I'd recommend doing weights over intense cardio. Weight lifting includes a lot of rest than activity too, unless you're one of those steroid headed lunatics who are also ruining their bodies.

Ultimately life's too short to worry about it and when cancer or some scum sucking disease comes a knocking a jog in the park or protein shake won't help.

bringbackrattles

Exercise produces/releases feel good hormones we get told, and I believe that. A good walk is all you need not a ten mile run, although if a run makes you feel good so be it. Sedentary people only take up exercise when their health takes a bad turn, a mate of mine who hated any exercise at all, drove everywhere, but when his doctor told him his blood pressure was seriously high, he started walking and enjoyed it, and kept it up.
So sometimes that's all it takes.

clint van damme

Exercise produces/releases feel good hormones we get told, and I believe that. A good walk is all you need not a ten mile run, although if a run makes you feel good so be it. Sedentary people only take up exercise when their health takes a bad turn, a mate of mine who hated any exercise at all, drove everywhere, but when his doctor told him his blood pressure was seriously high, he started walking and enjoyed it, and kept it up.
So sometimes that's all it takes.

I used to do a lot of jogging but I've knocked it on the head, used to get a lot of injuries.
Do a couple of miles now then do interval sprints. They have me blowing out my arse and are a much better workout but I don't get the injuries I used to or ache as much the next day.
Just started dong a few weight as well.
Apparently building up the muscle can help protect your bones as they start to get more fragile as you get older.

bringbackrattles

A few customers on my round over the years have been housebound, and hardly got out their homes. One lady was overweight through lack of exercise and had a wheelchair to get about. I often thought she won't last long living like that, but amazingly she passed away in her 80's. She used to watch me clean her Windows and remarked that she wished she could be mobile as she had M.S. but her lack of exercise didn't stop her living a long life. So that always baffled me !

clint van damme

A few customers on my round over the years have been housebound, and hardly got out their homes. One lady was overweight through lack of exercise and had a wheelchair to get about. I often thought she won't last long living like that, but amazingly she passed away in her 80's. She used to watch me clean her Windows and remarked that she wished she could be mobile as she had M.S. but her lack of exercise didn't stop her living a long life. So that always baffled me !

think there are always exceptions to the rule.
You've been going up and down those ladders for years B, that's a daily workout, no need for anything else!

Grendel

I'd agree it probably depends on genetics as some people are more disposed to get things like diabetes or heart disease. Someone else with the diet of Trump would've died years ago from a heart attack.

What is Trumps diet then?

Mcbean

My wife tells me that i need to do at least 10 mins decent exercise a day for example going up and down stairs , walking quickly etc - it needs to work your body into a bit of a sweat - a dog is a great thing but not everybody wants one !

Johnnythespider

I walk between 12 and 15 k a day in my job, all i want to do when i get in is put my feet up and relax. If i was going to do anything extra i think a bike would be my choice rather than a gym membership.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I've had people do the odd day on the round, and they all said they felt like they'd had a work out. Window cleaning is the future in the get fit industry !

If you think of that ladder as a step machine imagine how much time you'd have to spend on it to get the equivalent. Not to mention the walking and carrying of the ladder.

I used to go up and down the stairs as exercise and it gets the heart pumping and the thighs toned really well. Really creaky stairs though so stopped because it must've driven the neighbours mad (or they thought I was some sort of unstoppable sex machine)!

Marty

I got really fit about 2-3 years ago, no cheat days or meals or anything like that, completely clean living. running 5 km a day, session in the gym as well as having a physical job. It does catch up with you though putting your body through that kind of exertion, having problems with my knees, lower back, shoulder. Just find a happy medium and you'll be fine, keep active and busy. No need to go to stupid with it. Listen to your body is probably the best advice.

bringbackrattles

If you think of that ladder as a step machine imagine how much time you'd have to spend on it to get the equivalent. Not to mention the walking and carrying of the ladder.

I used to go up and down the stairs as exercise and it gets the heart pumping and the thighs toned really well. Really creaky stairs though so stopped because it must've driven the neighbours mad (or they thought I was some sort of unstoppable sex machine)!
About ladders. They are a great invention when you think of it. I've worked with wooden ones when I first started, now aluminium ones. I used to go up them like a squirrel up a tree ! I still am fairly nippy, but like to pace myself now. When I finally retire it'll feel weird not going up and down the rungs !

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I got really fit about 2-3 years ago, no cheat days or meals or anything like that, completely clean living. running 5 km a day, session in the gym as well as having a physical job. It does catch up with you though putting your body through that kind of exertion, having problems with my knees, lower back, shoulder. Just find a happy medium and you'll be fine, keep active and busy. No need to go to stupid with it. Listen to your body is probably the best advice.

I had a weights bench and even though I was pushing myself I didn't think I was overdoing it but I've got back and shoulder problems now as well as hip/knee/ankle problems. Think my big error was not warming up sufficiently beforehand.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

About ladders. They are a great invention when you think of it. I've worked with wooden ones when I first started, now aluminium ones. I used to go up them like a squirrel up a tree ! I still am fairly nippy, but like to pace myself now. When I finally retire it'll feel weird not going up and down the rungs !

I've always wondered about those people that used to carry those heavy wooden ladders around and whether they had back/shoulders problems later on. Same with the bin men that use to carry them from the garden to the lorry. Are you like a sailor with their sea legs who feel weird on dry land? Do you get 'ladder legs' and walk around as if you're trying to climb?

bringbackrattles

I've always wondered about those people that used to carry those heavy wooden ladders around and whether they had back/shoulders problems later on. Same with the bin men that use to carry them from the garden to the lorry. Are you like a sailor with their sea legs who feel weird on dry land? Do you get 'ladder legs' and walk around as if you're trying to climb?
Never had any weird sensations like you mentioned. But when you carry ladders around I have no feeling on my right shoulder blade, it is permantly numb through all the weight and carrying over the years. I once broke my collar bone falling off a mountain bike, and had hardly any pain there on that side. The x-ray showed it was broke and the nurse said I should be in agony !

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Btw the like isn't because you've got the shoulder injuries! It's interesting to know the effect the job has on you.

Like did you know soldiers sometimes find they develop a 'breast' because they're hitting it so often on parade with their gun and it develops extra fatty tissue to cushion the blow?

bringbackrattles

Btw the like isn't because you've got the shoulder injuries! It's interesting to know the effect the job has on you.

Like did you know soldiers sometimes find they develop a 'breast' because they're hitting it so often on parade with their gun and it develops extra fatty tissue to cushion the blow?
Growing up in the 60's I used to watch the coal man carrying bags of coals down our path. He had a stoop through the carrying.
My dad told me years later he wasnt that old but that job carrying heavy bags was that tough it aged him.

fellatio_Martinez

I had a weights bench and even though I was pushing myself I didn't think I was overdoing it but I've got back and shoulder problems now as well as hip/knee/ankle problems. Think my big error was not warming up sufficiently beforehand.

Improper form is probably to blame too, I'd Imagine. It's really hard to keep proper form as your brain and body aren't used to movements like squats and deadlifts so we instinctively rush the movement and put our bodies under strain.

The only way around it is training with someone who knows what they're doing or having a full length mirror to view yourself in.

I've stopped doing squats because I did them with really heavy weights one day, with bad form because my ego was too big to reduce the weight and I felt a sharp pain in my hip and now it cracks randomly when I walk which freaks me the fuck out.

Mr Panda

I just walk from Eastern Green to town and back for work and swim 2 or 3 times a week.

So long as I keep my tits as an A cup and my visceral fat to a minimum then I'm happy. My resting BPM is about 57 on average which I'm happy with, I tell myself that means my heart doesn't have to work as hard so might live longer.

Anecdotal cases of unhealthy people living long are dangerous. There are old, unhealthy people among us but don't let that distract you from the fact that if you're fat and inactive, you will probably have issues at some point.

bringbackrattles

The thing about exercise and keeping fit you need to keep it up, no good doing it for a bit and saying sod it I'll get back lying on the sofa. I reckon any type of exercise is better than nothing, going for a walk is a great start. I've noticed people dog walking has increased over the years, my sister who has retired goes walking with her dog twice a day now and loves it, she said it makes her feel good. So no need to join a gym and go once and never return ?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I just walk from Eastern Green to town and back for work and swim 2 or 3 times a week.

So long as I keep my tits as an A cup and my visceral fat to a minimum then I'm happy. My resting BPM is about 57 on average which I'm happy with, I tell myself that means my heart doesn't have to work as hard so might live longer.

Anecdotal cases of unhealthy people living long are dangerous. There are old, unhealthy people among us but don't let that distract you from the fact that if you're fat and inactive, you will probably have issues at some point.

Yeah, for every healthy old person that's been lived an unhealthy lifestyle there are tens of thousands in very poor health and hundreds of thousands that died a lot younger.

Walking is my main exercise now - I tend to put the match on the radio and just walk around listening to it so I'm not concentrating on the exercise. Have to wear flight socks though cos my ankles swell up if I walk for too long.

I also used to walk around 3 miles to and from work every day and had no need to find time for a gym. When I had a job too far to walk I'd go for a walk for an hour after work then drive home. Missed all the traffic so was only about 15-30 mins later than if I'd left straight after work plus I didn't then need to find time to go to gym etc.

Wish I could do some small sprints occasionally to improve my cardio but the ankle just won't take it.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Improper form is probably to blame too, I'd Imagine. It's really hard to keep proper form as your brain and body aren't used to movements like squats and deadlifts so we instinctively rush the movement and put our bodies under strain.

The only way around it is training with someone who knows what they're doing or having a full length mirror to view yourself in.

I've stopped doing squats because I did them with really heavy weights one day, with bad form because my ego was too big to reduce the weight and I felt a sharp pain in my hip and now it cracks randomly when I walk which freaks me the fuck out.

You're almost certainly right. I still have the weights but only use them occassionally for arms etc, and I now do light weights but for a bit longer til the muscle feels tired so I'm getting the form a bit better.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The thing about exercise and keeping fit you need to keep it up, no good doing it for a bit and saying sod it I'll get back lying on the sofa. I reckon any type of exercise is better than nothing, going for a walk is a great start. I've noticed people dog walking has increased over the years, my sister who has retired goes walking with her dog twice a day now and loves it, she said it makes her feel good. So no need to join a gym and go once and never return ?

Once you stop it gets so much harder to start again because everything loses condition and starts ceasing up, so you have to start small which is frustrating when you know you used to be able to do so much more.

skyblueinBaku

Also, you may have been using too much weight. The secret is to concentrate on doing each excercise with good form and not be fixated on trying to use plenty of weight.

bringbackrattles

Once you stop it gets so much harder to start again because everything loses condition and starts ceasing up, so you have to start small which is frustrating when you know you used to be able to do so much more.
Ever done boxing training ? Got to be the toughest work out going. I did a session a couple of years back, enjoyed it but couldn't move the next day. I do It occasionally now but not as intense, worried I may keel over ! So much respect for boxers, super athletes.

Users who are viewing this thread